ADVERTISEMENT

Karter Knox Commits to UK

It is dangerous those of you who think Kentucky should be rebuilding their team out of the portal every year and be so dismissive of recruits. Some of you all make declarations about a recruit's game, labeling them as non-athletic and non-shooters without ever watching them play. There are no guarantees of landing a transfer or them succeeding here any more than a 5 star recruit. By the time the transfer portal opens up and good players withdraw from the draft, most every recruit will always be committed. Sometimes you get lucky to land a Reeves or Oscar. What happens if they aren't as good? Stuck with a guy who wasn't good enough to leave College and then have no one else on the roster. Transfer portal should be used to supplement a roster, not to build your entire team from.

Reactions: University-6
The roster will fill out.
We'll more than likely have a good team lol

I feel like if you were about to die in a car wreck, you’d say statistically I have a decent chance here, and I’m sure it’ll work out. Then when the jaws of life come out and you’re about outa here, you’ll be a bit shocked the math didn’t really work out but hey, it could be worse. Nice dude but I wouldn’t want to get in a sticky spot with ya.

What are you basing this on ? How did you come to the conclusion ? Have you been around him to know his personality, or juat shooting from the hip ? These kids you never know how they will be. He may be better than Kevin, maybe not. But like the :doesn't seem like the kid to stay a second year, what are you basing that on ? Me, I have no clue what he will or won't do, and not going to act like I do.
He heard someone else say it, so he’s gonna assume it as well

I feel like if you were about to die in a car wreck, you’d say statistically I have a decent chance here, and I’m sure it’ll work out. Then when the jaws of life come out and you’re about outa here, you’ll be a bit shocked the math didn’t really work out but hey, it could be worse. Nice dude but I wouldn’t want to get in a sticky spot with ya.

I feel like your just a negative person lol

247's Finkelstein said that Knox is a good mid range shooter. Can drive to the goal left or right. Has a good body to finish when driving it. Is a true 3 and is probably no taller than 6-5. Decent shooting the three. Pretty good rebounder. Not a bad passer. On defense sometimes does not play with the intensity needed. Has long arms that helps make up for his height. Ranked the 6th best small forward and 18th best player by 247.

His size and game seems to be like the guy we had about three years ago that transferred. That guy's lack of height for his position was a negative. There are a lot of bigs on every SEC team that makes it hard for a shorter guy of any build to get to the rim effectively. Knox will need to be a really good shooter or they will just back off like they did the guy we had before him. Better have decent lateral quickness or he will not be able to guard in this league at that size. McNeely is four spots ahead of Knox. How will Knox and Richmond compare to Flagg and Knoppel from Duke? The Duke guys are said to be much better offensive players.

Know everyone laughs at this idea for some reason but Joey Hart is a guy who is an elite shooter. He needs to develop better ball handling and defend on perimeter better but he can shoot and is athletic. If he sticks around he'll have a chance and he can shoot. He was mentioned more than some guys in the Fall as standing out to NBA guys in terms of the Kentucky Combine. More like "Who the **** is that kid?". He signed with a Big 12 program in UCF (people see that and think AAC) and he's not some bum. Guy has potential. Know that's not "cool" to talk about player development or hope for a guy but he has skills that transfer. More about if he can do the things to improve in areas he's been told to work on to compete for minutes.
Have you seen enough of Hart (in high school) or got reports from his time at UK to give you any idea about his motor, work ethic, and drive to get better? For instance, is he putting in good work at UK, and does the staff have confidence in him for the future?

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
Have you seen enough of Hart (in high school) or got reports from his time at UK to give you any idea about his motor, work ethic, and drive to get better? For instance, is he putting in good work at UK, and does the staff have confidence in him for the future?
Three guards with Hart at the 3 might be good. He jumps well and is a really good shooter. At 6-5 he could be kind of like Reeves with two other guards at the one and two. Hopefully he stays.

I'd not have info. I'll ask friend but wait until after the season for that stuff. Everyone's focus now is on the team and team goals. After the season ends....that's when this talk happens and I'll ask because he'll likely get responses to the question. LOL

He was at the UK Combine with NBA guys and said Hart stood out in a positive way and everyone wanted to know who he was, etc....so there are traits for sure. My own guess would be he's gotten better simply by being in practices against the likes of Sheppard, Rob, DJ, Reeves. You won't face many better players anywhere and if you didn't get better, than you are not going to be around long. But that's just my personal speculation/thought.

Reactions: G-PIP
Tell me it's wrong where I saw the other day that he's like 27% from three. I thought surely that JVC would have learned from this season that a team full of shooters is the most dangerous thing you can have on a team.
I don't think you can rely on high school numbers because of shot selection etc. His form looks great. Give him a year with coach Welch and he could be a 40% shooter.

I'd not have info. I'll ask friend but wait until after the season for that stuff. Everyone's focus now is on the team and team goals. After the season ends....that's when this talk happens and I'll ask because he'll likely get responses to the question. LOL

He was at the UK Combine with NBA guys and said Hart stood out in a positive way and everyone wanted to know who he was, etc....so there are traits for sure. My own guess would be he's gotten better simply by being in practices against the likes of Sheppard, Rob, DJ, Reeves. You won't face many better players anywhere and if you didn't get better, than you are not going to be around long. But that's just my personal speculation/thought.
Thanks. That would be very interesting stuff.

Last edited:
Knox shot 36% on 3's and that was on 8 attempts per game. That high of volume, that is pretty damn good. He is getting better each year. Where he is going to be really good, he is above average athletic, 6-6, guard who can really run the floor and attack the rim. His size will be a very big advantage, he weighs 224 pounds and very fluid. I honestly think he will be better than Kevin, definitely a more well rounded game. Reports even suggest he is a willing and solid defender, can guard the 1-4 positions. Early he was tabbed a "scorer", now he really has a more rounded game. I think he is going to surprise a lot fans, several did not want him.

Last edited:
Reactions: G-PIP
Knox shot 36% on 3's and that was on 8 attempts per game. That high of volume, that is pretty damn good. He is getting better each year. Where he is going to be really good, he is above average athletic, 6-6, guard who can really run the floor and attack the rim. His size will be a very big advantage, he weighs 224 pounds and very fluid. I honestly think he will be better than Kevin, definitely a more well rounded game. Reports even suggest he is a willing and solid defender, can guard the 1-4 positions. Early he was tabbed a "scorer", now he really has a more rounded game. I think he is going to surprise a lot fans, several did not want him.
The only way I wouldn’t really want a player to come that Calipari recruits is if that recruitment prevents UK from, or becomes an excuse for not, going after a likely better player or that recruit is going to be given playing time over a better already on the roster. As long as there is fair competition, I say the more the merrier. Of course, there is always a possibility of chemistry/jealousy issues, but a coach can’t be cowed by that.

How many guards is Kentucky bringing in.
So far Boogie Bland & Travis Perry in this 2024 class. Knox & Richmond may be NBA sized guards but are not going to facilitate the offense. They have to get one or two more via reclass, portal or a surprise return for depth.

Knox can shoot the ball. So can Fland. We know Perry can shoot-but fans who expect him to be like Reed aren't being honest or fair with their assessment. Richmond is the biggest leap in terms of improvement with the jumper/shooting. He's going to be a lot better than he looked last year at Camden or in AAU. Love that kid as a player too.

Returning guys and some additions still to come-who they are? Not sure yet but know more are set to come.
I'm just now digging in to some of the games from this season, but did you see Camden vs Ace Bailey? Richmond struggled with the shot making but I still think there's a ton of upside. I think you said it elsewhere in the thread, but how he's used will be completely different at UK, and he'll be better for it. I've liked Billy more in some of the other recent things I've watched, but my only major takeaway from the McEachern game was I wish we had Ace Bailey. I've got him #1 over Flagg personally and it's not even super close. Dude is elite

Read that Fland led his team to winning the state championship. He scored 18 points. In his evaluation his best asset is shooting the basketball. Has played the two most of his career but can play the 1 now. It said that Fland, Perry and Richmond are natural basketball players and that Quantence, Cyril and Knox are more athletic types that can jump and have high ceilings.

Read that Fland led his team to winning the state championship. He scored 18 points. In his evaluation his best asset is shooting the basketball. Has played the two most of his career but can play the 1 now. It said that Fland, Perry and Richmond are natural basketball players and that Quantence, Cyril and Knox are more athletic types that can jump and have high ceilings.
Quaintance is one of the most skilled players 6'10 or taller in the world. No matter what level. He's just 16 yrs old and can handle the ball/pass as well if not better than most guys you see at the 5/stretch 4 in CBB now.

Knox is skilled. He's not an elite athlete. He's a good athlete. He can handle/shoot/pass. Some don't like him as well as other options, I get it. But to say he's an athlete is wrong. He's more of a skilled tweener who needs to learn better shot selection as most HS players do-when being the focal point of what they do.

Richmond is the guy who improved the most from last year to this. He's improved his shot a great deal but he's kind of an Andre Jackson from UConn in terms of he can handle the ball/defend provide a versatile player at the wing who can defend guards/wings and do a lot of things to help a team win. He's an elite athlete/finisher too. Richmond is a better shooter than Jackson was at same stage entering CBB.

Cyril is the guy I'd define as a brute force/athletic type. Joey Dorsey from Memphis in a larger frame. Somto can defend/block shots, finish around rim, but needs offensive polish.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT