ADVERTISEMENT

Karter Knox Commits to UK

Love that you are bringing your talents to UK. Salute to you and the entire Knox family!

Also, and I have to be fair here, because I dinged Duke for this.. but it seems to me Billy Preston just got a whole bunch of competition. I never want to turn away recruits, but I cant help but think, what does Preston think about this? What about returning players? What does it mean on the transfer portal?

Also, and I have to be fair here, because I dinged Duke for this.. but it seems to me Billy Preston just got a whole bunch of competition. I never want to turn away recruits, but I cant help but think, what does Preston think about this? What about returning players? What does it mean on the transfer portal?
Do you mean Richmond?

Reactions: G-PIP
Do you mean Richmond?

Oops, yes sorry.

And its nothing against Knox, only that he was the last one to commit. I'm not saying I take Richmond over him or anything. Just that I'm not sure this is a huge help when we already have our SF. And, it also makes me wonder what Knox was thinking (or what Knox was offered) when he sees the same position already filled.

Really hope this doesn't turn into another area where we try and force guys into playing time. It's one thing to do it for the #1 recruit in Justin Edwards, it's another thing to do it for what appears to be a multi-year player in Knox.

Got about 23 Dilly OTE cards. Got 14 Cyril OTE cards. Been buying those bad boys up. Also on a off note, I bought 25 Sarr OTE cards cheap and have been making bank on them.

Sweet sweet sweet. You holding on Shep? I did 3 breaks hoping for the super and ended up getting 3 breaks full of female players. I really wish they’d knock that sht off. Love the product but damn the girls in it are killing it. I did score a /50 shep auto BF for around 90 bucks so I’m gonna hold it.

I think I’m up to around 10-15 Dilly Ote’s. Stupid good value in Dilly right now. Sounds like you’re hooked in it too lol.

Reactions: UK_1576
Oops, yes sorry.

And its nothing against Knox, only that he was the last one to commit. I'm not saying I take Richmond over him or anything. Just that I'm not sure this is a huge help when we already have our SF. And, it also makes me wonder what Knox was thinking (or what Knox was offered) when he sees the same position already filled.

Really hope this doesn't turn into another area where we try and force guys into playing time. It's one thing to do it for the #1 recruit in Justin Edwards, it's another thing to do it for what appears to be a multi-year player in Knox.

Me personally, Richmond all day. When I watch Knox I’m just, no. We’ve seen this I’m telling yall. I’m not gonna change course, but want to be wrong.

Me personally, Richmond all day. When I watch Knox I’m just, no. We’ve seen this I’m telling yall. I’m not gonna change course, but want to be wrong.

I kind of agree, I don't love the shooting numbers, and I don't like that his older brother is likely in his ear about his 1AD time at UK, living the life of his brothers NBA millions. This smells a little iffy, and I hope i'm wrong too.. but I still don't see why Knox would want to come here unless some things weren't promised.

This.

Get Peterson and bring back Wagner and Bradshaw.

G - Wagner - Perry
G - Fland - Richmond
G - Peterson - Knox - Burks
F - Bradshaw - Thiero - Burks
C - Quaintance - Onyenso - Cyril
Better chance that we land Johnson than Peterson, IMHO. Either would be fine. Peterson is better, but I think Johnson is more plausible.

I’m also like that with Sheppard or Wagner returning as well. Rather get Sheppard back, but I would love to see Wagner return.

Really would love to see both return. It could happen, though it’s unlikely.

He plays more like Freshman year PJ Washington but he's a better 3pt shooter at same stage. I loved how he'd contribute to winning plays on Team USA with DJ Wagner/Boogie Fland back in Summer of '22. Really had a knack for tough rebs/putbacks. If you have him as a part of a collective like him. If he's your best recruit, no. He's not that level of talent/player. But if he stayed 2/3 yrs--he's a Conference POY potential because he can do a lot of things well and will get his avg. My issue with him now-if he gets 20-25 in 1 Half-he'll have around 20-25 at end of game. If he starts out slow-he'll get his 20-25 which is good but little more to this point. He needs to up that to another level where he doesn't settle for "doing his part" and realize it's okay to go off!
If Wagner comes back, we will see that trio again. That would be cool.

Wagner, Fland, Knox, Quaintance, and Bradshaw could be a pretty good starting unit.

Wagner, Fland, Knox, Quaintance, and Bradshaw could be a pretty good starting unit.

I see no chance Wagner comes back. He’s gonna be pushed out and that’s sad too because him and Reed next year could be insane and rise his stock into the top 15.

Sweet sweet sweet. You holding on Shep? I did 3 breaks hoping for the super and ended up getting 3 breaks full of female players. I really wish they’d knock that sht off. Love the product but damn the girls in it are killing it. I did score a /50 shep auto BF for around 90 bucks so I’m gonna hold it.

I think I’m up to around 10-15 Dilly Ote’s. Stupid good value in Dilly right now. Sounds like you’re hooked in it too lol.

Nice on the Sheppard card! I don’t have any of his. They sky rocketed before I could get my claws on them lol

I 100% agree on Dilly cards. Crazy value right now. I want to get up to 30-35. Get them graded before draft and watch them explode. I think he’s going to be a top 5’er.

The Cyril cards are at a steal. Hooked into a auto patch card for $8. Would like to get to around 25 of his.

Also been getting in on the Leaf 1/1 pre-production Boogie Fland cards. Got 5 of them from $19-$30. They are Leaf tho lol

Reactions: Jeff2Reed
Got about 23 Dilly OTE cards. Got 14 Cyril OTE cards. Been buying those bad boys up. Also on a off note, I bought 25 Sarr OTE cards cheap and have been making bank on them.
I've been bidding on several, only to see bids get randomly canceled ... shady stuff for eBay. That you as a reseller, or nah?

Reactions: UK_1576
I've been bidding on several, only to see bids get randomly canceled ... shady stuff for eBay. That you as a reseller, or nah?

No, I haven’t resold anything on there. Just buying now. Not had that problem. I have been contacting some sellers on message that have bids and offering to buy them. Bought a few from sellers who had live bids. Not sure if that is happening.

This Alexandre Sarr cards are going well. Like I told Jeff in that post. Burning up profits on him. Picked up about 17 of /199s for $20-$25. Steals

The 39% is good...the 34 won't cut it

Aaron Harrison shot 34% from three as a high school senior, playing against easier opponents.

I'm sure that cut it during his freshman year when he buried four straight tournament opponents with late-game daggers. Knox has the shooting fundamentals to be a high 30% three point shooter. Plus, he won't be a focal point on next year's roster. UK wants Peterson to be their scorer.

Never mind Aaron Harrison. Rob Dillingham in OTE just last year shot 31.9% on 3s. Knox is taking 8 3s a game on average. He will have much better shot selection at UK next year.

Dillingham averaged 14.7 PPG to Knox's 23.1 PPG also. I'm not saying Knox is better, just that high school stats don't tell the full story.

Everyone crapping on Knox man. Let’s be honest. None of us know how these kids will turn out. But I do know that dilly and shep were our two lowest rated kids and were not expected to be OAD. We have to trust the staff who make their living evaluating these kids and building relationships with them. It’s easy to watch YouTube clips and form your opinion. But it’s hard to have a little faith. I get it.

Someone explain this to me. Knox just signed with adidas and then committed to a Nike school. I thought these kids are obligated to wear Nike for UK. How will that work?

Simply said....Knox can't shoot the ball well. He'll likely be a 30% ish a better scenario in year 1 at college level. And by my defintion...that ain't a guy who can shoot.

We'll see about Boogie.....I'd argue he'll be a Wagner level shooter.

Agreed on Perry...and totally agree you'll likely never see a guy hit 53% 3pt shots like Reed in college (that takes a fair volume of shots and not just totall spot up)

But this team next year looks likes a way step back in replacing Reeves, Shep and Dilly iin all 3 spots. Hell even Edwards is 38% from deep now. Barring a portal shooter.....we'll be bricking our way with Fland, KNox, Richmond, Theiro, etc... playing this many perimeter minutes.
Wasn't talking about the shooting with Reed/Perry--talking about what a superior basketball player Reed is to Travis. Perry is a lights out shooter. That carries over.

My take on the '24 class and '25 team is let's see how the roster ends up for just obliterating it. I tend to see Knox in the role he will be placed as a good shooter. If he's having to be the hub of your scoring, this will be rough. If he's able to spot up-he can shoot the ball. He's a very good catch/shoot guy. He's going to surprise the people who think he sucks, and he'll disappoint the fans who think he's a 1 and done elite guy.

Richmond will be a fan favorite. He can do everything on the court and will be the best defensive player the program's had on the ball in some time from wing position. Tough/Athletic and versatile. I think he's shown great improvement as a shooter this year at Camden. Again, he's NOT going to be anything like the guys they have now. I'm fine with that as long as roster supports with shooting.

Boogie Fland gets better each time he plays. He's very young like DJ--but he's a better ball handler and is a natural point guard. He'll be 18 when FR year starts and should be in '25 class but always has played in '24 class. He can catch and shoot or create space for himself and make shots.

Sometimes fans forget these guys are the focal point of their teams and in college they'll be part of the puzzle, not the entire puzzle.

Another aspect, you'll have a guy like Quaintance who is the most talented big man Kentucky has had in some time. Big Z is the most offensively skilled I've seen them have in terms of ability to face/shoot and pass, but Quaintance at his age/skill set is going to be a monster.

What they have room to get is 2/3 more shooters-be it retaining guys or getting them via Portal, Decommitments, Reclass (Peterson/Johnson).

Know everyone laughs at this idea for some reason but Joey Hart is a guy who is an elite shooter. He needs to develop better ball handling and defend on perimeter better but he can shoot and is athletic. If he sticks around he'll have a chance and he can shoot. He was mentioned more than some guys in the Fall as standing out to NBA guys in terms of the Kentucky Combine. More like "Who the **** is that kid?". He signed with a Big 12 program in UCF (people see that and think AAC) and he's not some bum. Guy has potential. Know that's not "cool" to talk about player development or hope for a guy but he has skills that transfer. More about if he can do the things to improve in areas he's been told to work on to compete for minutes.

Wasn't talking about the shooting with Reed/Perry--talking about what a superior basketball player Reed is to Travis. Perry is a lights out shooter. That carries over.

My take on the '24 class and '25 team is let's see how the roster ends up for just obliterating it. I tend to see Knox in the role he will be placed as a good shooter. If he's having to be the hub of your scoring, this will be rough. If he's able to spot up-he can shoot the ball. He's a very good catch/shoot guy. He's going to surprise the people who think he sucks, and he'll disappoint the fans who think he's a 1 and done elite guy.

Richmond will be a fan favorite. He can do everything on the court and will be the best defensive player the program's had on the ball in some time from wing position. Tough/Athletic and versatile. I think he's shown great improvement as a shooter this year at Camden. Again, he's NOT going to be anything like the guys they have now. I'm fine with that as long as roster supports with shooting.

Boogie Fland gets better each time he plays. He's very young like DJ--but he's a better ball handler and is a natural point guard. He'll be 18 when FR year starts and should be in '25 class but always has played in '24 class. He can catch and shoot or create space for himself and make shots.

Sometimes fans forget these guys are the focal point of their teams and in college they'll be part of the puzzle, not the entire puzzle.

Another aspect, you'll have a guy like Quaintance who is the most talented big man Kentucky has had in some time. Big Z is the most offensively skilled I've seen them have in terms of ability to face/shoot and pass, but Quaintance at his age/skill set is going to be a monster.

What they have room to get is 2/3 more shooters-be it retaining guys or getting them via Portal, Decommitments, Reclass (Peterson/Johnson).

Know everyone laughs at this idea for some reason but Joey Hart is a guy who is an elite shooter. He needs to develop better ball handling and defend on perimeter better but he can shoot and is athletic. If he sticks around he'll have a chance and he can shoot. He was mentioned more than some guys in the Fall as standing out to NBA guys in terms of the Kentucky Combine. More like "Who the **** is that kid?". He signed with a Big 12 program in UCF (people see that and think AAC) and he's not some bum. Guy has potential. Know that's not "cool" to talk about player development or hope for a guy but he has skills that transfer. More about if he can do the things to improve in areas he's been told to work on to compete for minutes.
Love your recruiting takes, and this one improves my outlook on next year's class. I'm still leary about shooting, but hearing that Knox is better than advertised and that Boogie's a shot maker sounds promising.

Better chance that we land Johnson than Peterson, IMHO. Either would be fine. Peterson is better, but I think Johnson is more plausible.

I’m also like that with Sheppard or Wagner returning as well. Rather get Sheppard back, but I would love to see Wagner return.

Really would love to see both return. It could happen, though it’s unlikely.
Reed and Perry are going to make a tremendous combo next year.

Someone explain this to me. Knox just signed with adidas and then committed to a Nike school. I thought these kids are obligated to wear Nike for UK. How will that work?
NIL Rockfly. Justin Edwards has a Puma or New Balance endorsement but Kentucky is a Nike school. Just about being an independent contractor.

Love your recruiting takes, and this one improves my outlook on next year's class. I'm still leary about shooting, but hearing that Knox is better than advertised and that Boogie's a shot maker sounds promising.
Boogie is vastly underrated. Love everything about his game/mentality. It's all about winning. My favorite HS clip this year of UK signees was watching him lead his team to a win over Koa Peat's out in AZ. He ran the team, picked spots to take over the game--he got them the lead and then it was see sawing back and forth and he eventually makes game winning assist to an open teammate instead of being the "hero". Then last week has 43 of his team's 60 in an 8 pt win in his school's Playoff win over Christ the King. Knows when to attack/score and when to distribute. Was instant energy and changed the game for Team USA for the better when he got in for the Gold Medal winning team with DJ/Knox, Ian Jackson, Flagg, etc...

Richmond is the guy who opened my eyes with what Camden's done without DJ/Bradshaw/Medley/ and 2/3 other D1 players they had. They won the State Championship yesterday (screw job from officials earlier in week helped them but not the player's fault--that's on adults being awful). When he was clearly the best player in the matchup with Isaiah Evans of Duke in Hoophall-he was fantastic. Picked spots--but dominated the game and took on the assignment of guarding Evans too. But his FT stroke was fantastic and he was 3 of 4 from 3pt line with good shot attempts. It's about efficiency of your shots, compared to having to carry an AAU squad that wasn't as deep losing DJ/AB/Mgbako, etc..He can pass/defend/reb/score/ and impact the game without the ball.

Knox, I get why people are "meh". But think they'll also be the ones who are pleasantly surprised by his play. If you expect instant domination, you'll be disappointed. If you think he stinks, you'll be happy how he produces. He's a guy who can make open shots and will do winning things without the ball when with better players. Rebounds much better than you expect considering his lack of elite athleticism and height.

JQ is one of the most talented players Calipari has ever recruited. Again, he's a baby age wise, but he kicked the living dog **** out of Flory Bidunga in a 2 week span when everyone was crying about UK not going to land him. Quaintance is going to be a fantastic college player and you have him for 2 yrs not just 1.

Perry can shoot. My opinion is that is always coveted. I don't think he's nearly as good of a prospect as Reed Sheppard was entering CBB and that's okay because Reed's proven to be a Lottery pick which was superior to anything I know I expected, can't speak for others. Loved him in HS, loved how he/Rob played with elite guards/team oriented AAU programs to help their adjustment to CBB but didn't see this. Perry is going to be a damn good player, but his adjustment is a big longer (which is normal and fine) but I know he'll make shots when given a chance. Hope I'm wrong again, but just seeing him in bigger platforms, he didn't show as strong as Reed did in those settings.

Somto--I always have liked the idea of him in CBB. He's athletic/rim protector and rips rim down when given ball-something I wish the current bigs would do near the basket. I was impressed last night with his ability to hedge/recover and defend when crossed on matchups with perimeter guys. Also loved that with his team down 3 under a minute left in game-he made 2 FT's and both were good looking shots. Making FT's for a guy like him is crucial.

That being said--who comes back, who else they add will decide the outcome but I just don't view guys in the setting they are "the man" like they will be when they blend in. Richmond/Boogie are best suited to adjust to that role--Somto is used to it as a modern 5 as well--but Knox as a 3rd/4th option when on the floor--can make open shots. That will surprise fans. He's got a nice looking jumper. Now if he comes in and thinks he's Anthony Edwards or something--no it'll be struggle. But like/don't like things Cal does-he lets guys know you will have a game where you can go off but you will have games you have to defer and to me Knox is perfect 3rd/4th option as a Frosh when on court. If he stays-which is the big if and know big brother has told him to take the time needed to get this right--Kevin Jr has been fantastic helping Karter through this and what to expect in CBB/at UK-.

Just need to keep building the roster and we know they will. Taking their time paid off this year (not the way they'd have preferred to do things completely but it paid off) but they won't have to wait that long this yr.

Also the style of play has been a HUGE HIT with recruits and their camps. Between that and improved player development, that's been most talked about with recruits.

Everyone expects DJ to leave. Thing is-he's the one guy who if he returned would make most sense seeing he'd be returning to the class he should be in. But we know how things go--just would make so much sense but not expecting that to happen.

Now he could help them land Darryn Peterson. But there's some other options who can become available too which aren't at this time.

Get Sheppard, Wagner, and Thiero back.

Get a reclassed Jasper Johnson.

We have the Legacy Cats.

Sheppard- parents played at UK.
Wagner- dad played for Cal.
Johnson- dad played football at UK.
Knox- brother played for UK/Cal.
Richmond- dad played for Cal.
Thiero- dad played for Cal.
There is a better chance of pigs flying than Wagner coming back next year.

So now we have two five star guys in Richmond and Knox that Cal will be focusing on getting them to the pro's in one year. I could see Richmond because of how much he is into defense and not hyped to leaving after a year. Knox will probably cause us to not go after an experienced scorer in the portal that will be ready day 1. So our early losses will probably having us chasing a decent seed all season.

Kind of shocked because every year we are always 'too young' and it takes a player like this most if not all of a season to get good and by then our seeding is way down the line. Thought this year we would get at least two or three really good portal guys and be serious about a championship. If Knox was willing to sit behind an experienced veteran and learn for a year would have no issue with that. But how often does Cal do it that way? The three spot will be the most vital position to pick up a guy that has the whole package to be ready right off. And have to believe we could have gotten at least one great portal guy at that position. Now a bunch of minutes off the board for that type of player to want to come here.

There will be so many options available in the portal, and with it being open season on buying players, you hope to hell Cal goes after the "best of the best" (his words, circa 2010) to add experienced / proven talent to his freshmen class. I don't see a carry the team on your back star among the group, and never expect anyone to return .... so he needs to go get 2 guys, IMO.

So now we have two five star guys in Richmond and Knox that Cal will be focusing on getting them to the pro's in one year. I could see Richmond because of how much he is into defense and not hyped to leaving after a year. Knox will probably cause us to not go after an experienced scorer in the portal that will be ready day 1. So our early losses will probably having us chasing a decent seed all season.

Kind of shocked because every year we are always 'too young' and it takes a player like this most if not all of a season to get good and by then our seeding is way down the line. Thought this year we would get at least two or three really good portal guys and be serious about a championship. If Knox was willing to sit behind an experienced veteran and learn for a year would have no issue with that. But how often does Cal do it that way? The three spot will be the most vital position to pick up a guy that has the whole package to be ready right off. And have to believe we could have gotten at least one great portal guy at that position. Now a bunch of minutes off the board for that type of player to want to come here.
I am more concerned about adding an experienced guard with next year's class to replace Reeves. However, a PG might be a better fit for 2024-25 to facilitate the offense. Other than Boogie Fland, as it stands Travis Perry would be the alternative at PG unless some surprise return like Reed happens next year. I don't think you can underestimate how much an experienced guard can help a team in March who has been there before and throughout the struggles in the regular season.

I am more concerned about adding an experienced guard with next year's class to replace Reeves. However, a PG might be a better fit for 2024-25 to facilitate the offense. Other than Boogie Fland, as it stands Travis Perry would be the alternative at PG unless some surprise return like Reed happens next year. I don't think you can underestimate how much an experienced guard can help a team in March who has been there before and throughout the struggles in the regular season.
I have no faith in Cal to get experienced veterans over some inexperienced 5 stars. He doesn’t value the program that way.

We need at least, preferably two can't miss portal guys that can shoot and score consistently. The four and five positions right now are question marks with getting consistent scoring from. It is looking more like a typical Cal year of trying to coach up a bunch of freshmen to get them rich. Without at least a couple of older really good transfers we will hear all year how they have families, they are young, it will take time to learn and on and on.

We need at least, preferably two can't miss portal guys that can shoot and score consistently. The four and five positions right now are question marks with getting consistent scoring from. It is looking more like a typical Cal year of trying to coach up a bunch of freshmen to get them rich. Without at least a couple of older really good transfers we will hear all year how they have families, they are young, it will take time to learn and on and on.
I agree with adding shooting and experience. However, the season has to end first before you know what is out there in the portal to finalize the roster.

Can't believe the most obvious and impactful slipped my mind. Grady & Toppin too. Mulder, Harrow, Dodson & Fredrick as well, even if they did not do much here. Still puts to rest the notion Calipari won't bring in transfers here to fill out a roster. 16 scholarship transfers.

Nice on the Sheppard card! I don’t have any of his. They sky rocketed before I could get my claws on them lol

I 100% agree on Dilly cards. Crazy value right now. I want to get up to 30-35. Get them graded before draft and watch them explode. I think he’s going to be a top 5’er.

The Cyril cards are at a steal. Hooked into a auto patch card for $8. Would like to get to around 25 of his.

Also been getting in on the Leaf 1/1 pre-production Boogie Fland cards. Got 5 of them from $19-$30. They are Leaf tho lol

Awesome yea I’ve noticed Boogie’s are good value too. Good luck on it hope the grades come back good. We sound like dorks but I’m cool with it😃

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT