ADVERTISEMENT

Karter Knox Commits to UK

If he stays in his current class, I’d much rather get a super senior to compete with all these other old SEC teams. They need a guy that can take it in this final covid year.
Adding an experienced guard that is a proven shot maker will be huge. Need a player that won't be timid in the Tournament and be the difference maker like Reeves has been.

Reactions: delk4three
Definitely should blow up. I see Karter Knox hardwood on their autographed listed at $40 something.
I really invested hard into Dilly this year. His cards just didn’t peak at the value I thought they would. Got some very good rare Bowman first auto’s and OTE auto patches for really good prices. Still can’t believe what some of them went for.

Shep is just stupid high. Way too high imo. I did buy a few /25 auto and /50 auto bowman first but if he doesn’t blow up in the pros some people are going to be upset. I’ll load up then if that happens. But had no choice had to go after some of his anyway just in case you can’t get them if he turns into Steve Nash or John Stockton.

Cyril is the Best Buy’s right now. People aren’t on him and his stuff is dirt cheap

Who thinks he wanted to go to louisville but KP knew they were fixing to shit can him so he told him to go to Kentucky? I love it.

Excuse my lack of following Mr. Knox, is he as good as his brother or does he have a different type of game?
He plays more like Freshman year PJ Washington but he's a better 3pt shooter at same stage. I loved how he'd contribute to winning plays on Team USA with DJ Wagner/Boogie Fland back in Summer of '22. Really had a knack for tough rebs/putbacks. If you have him as a part of a collective like him. If he's your best recruit, no. He's not that level of talent/player. But if he stayed 2/3 yrs--he's a Conference POY potential because he can do a lot of things well and will get his avg. My issue with him now-if he gets 20-25 in 1 Half-he'll have around 20-25 at end of game. If he starts out slow-he'll get his 20-25 which is good but little more to this point. He needs to up that to another level where he doesn't settle for "doing his part" and realize it's okay to go off!

I want shooting again though. We will lose all our shooting almost. Unless Reed magically comes back which looks less likely every game honestly. Even the media is all over him now. Jay Bilas picked him and Dilly for first college player picked in the draft.
Knox can shoot the ball. So can Fland. We know Perry can shoot-but fans who expect him to be like Reed aren't being honest or fair with their assessment. Richmond is the biggest leap in terms of improvement with the jumper/shooting. He's going to be a lot better than he looked last year at Camden or in AAU. Love that kid as a player too.

Returning guys and some additions still to come-who they are? Not sure yet but know more are set to come.

Not a fan of Knox’s game, but if he can prove me wrong please do so. I just don’t like the low skilled lanky athletes who can’t shoot and are only rated high based on name and potential. They usually end up average at best as freshman, or worse, and then bolt even if not ready or draftable.

Of course, when he committed I liked it, I guess I just can’t help it.

Not a fan of Knox’s game, but if he can prove me wrong please do so. I just don’t like the low skilled lanky athletes who can’t shoot and are only rated high based on name and potential. They usually end up average at best as freshman, or worse, and then bolt even if not ready or draftable.

Of course, when he committed I liked it, I guess I just can’t help it.
What you have with Knox is a skilled guy who isn't a plus athlete. He's got tweener height but he can shoot the ball/handle/pass. He's just fast or an elite athlete. Guy can shoot the ball though.

Tell me it's wrong where I saw the other day that he's like 27% from three. I thought surely that JVC would have learned from this season that a team full of shooters is the most dangerous thing you can have on a team.
According to OTE's stats here, Knox is a 34% 3-point shooter. Had 2 games when he made 7 3's and 6 in another. Shot 38.5% from 3 in their playoffs.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Knox can shoot the ball. So can Fland. We know Perry can shoot-but fans who expect him to be like Reed aren't being honest or fair with their assessment. Richmond is the biggest leap in terms of improvement with the jumper/shooting. He's going to be a lot better than he looked last year at Camden or in AAU. Love that kid as a player too.

Returning guys and some additions still to come-who they are? Not sure yet but know more are set to come.
That’s awesome, any feeling on surprise returns? I’m really hope all of them are capable shooters. I really doubt we ever shoot the ball at this level again under Cal but I wanna try!

I mean he played in EYBL and then plays for Montverde Academy, the #1 Nike Brand Prep School.

Doesn't mean he won't go to Kansas but he's been with Nike family a lot for a guy who is just all Adidas.
That was my thoughts but I have I no knowledge of a dirty game like that. I just feel like he choose Adidas and number 2 was Kansas which is the Adidas school. Feels a lot to me like he seen IU in not the offense for him and/or Kansas came back with a huge need and offer.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
That’s awesome, any feeling on surprise returns? I’m really hope all of them are capable shooters. I really doubt we ever shoot the ball at this level again under Cal but I wanna try!
Have to see how Postseason plays out, but I'm thinking that 2 frontcourt guys stay. Now the who? That's the interesting part.

Welch's player development is elite with shooting. I actually will call a shot early and say that I think Billy Richmond will surprise with his shooting since everyone labels him a broke shooter. Between he/Knox--rather have Billy at the FT line late. Also think he's the superior player overall but Knox is not a bum. He's just taken a possibility out of the equation and think that had some fans excited. Thing about possibilities is they don't always end up coming.

One thing I did like is seeing Somto hit some FT's late with his team down 3 tonight in that OTE Finals Series. Cut it to 1. Unfortunately his team lost tonight by 3 pts and Knox was 5-10 from FT line. That is the aspect that annoys me out of Karter. He has those "do you really give a damn" moments and someone who has a great 3pt stroke shouldn't be so bad at the FT line. Then again PJ Washington was a brick tosser at the FT far too often in HS/AAU/UK as well. Some guys just don't feel comfortable at the line and doesn't mean they won't be impactful CBB players.

Reactions: University-6
That was my thoughts but I have I no knowledge of a dirty game like that. I just feel like he choose Adidas and number 2 was Kansas which is the Adidas school. Feels a lot to me like he seen IU in not the offense for him and/or Kansas came back with a huge need and offer.
I can see him at Kansas but he also had Texas and Alabama involved too. It wasn't like he was set on just a final list of only Adidas schools. At the time of his recruitment, Indiana had told him they were landing a lot of guys-and he was talking with his Montverde teammate Derik Queen a lot and that was an IU/MD battle with Terps winning out.

Kansas gets guys who are Nike guys a lot just as UK gets Adidas guys. In this class alone they have Somto, JQ, and Perry who were all Adidas affiliated with Summer Basketball programs--JQ was with EYBL but left to join Team Loaded. Everyone had him ticketed for anywhere but UK once that happened.

What you have with Knox is a skilled guy who isn't a plus athlete. He's got tweener height but he can shoot the ball/handle/pass. He's just fast or an elite athlete. Guy can shoot the ball though.

I don’t see Knox as all that skilled at all, he doesn’t do anything great and isn’t billed a shooter which is what I think you need to possess to be skilled I. Todays game. He’s a tweeter fringe type that doesn’t overwhelm in any aspect of his game. I see what you mean but I think we’re just talking about different things. The intangibles I just don’t see.

For what it’s worth, I’ve never been high on this type. Doesn’t overwhelm in any aspect, wants to be a OAD, fringe for position, lacking consistency in the shooting department. These are the recruits, if I were a coach, I’d stay away from. More Sheppards, less Knox’s.

I don’t see Knox as all that skilled at all, he doesn’t do anything great and isn’t billed a shooter which is what I think you need to possess to be skilled I. Todays game. He’s a tweeter fringe type that doesn’t overwhelm in any aspect of his game. I see what you mean but I think we’re just talking about different things. The intangibles I just don’t see.
What I think you are watching with Knox is him in a role where I don't see him at Kentucky or beyond. He's not a guy you will play through all the time/build around. He's part of the puzzle. When I've liked him/think he plays best he's playing off other guys and making plays. Spots up and can hit open jumpers. When he's the "guy", I think that's where everyone kind of goes into "I don't get it" viewpoint. Which I agree with you. Just choose to think he won't be the focal point of the program in Lexington and will be part of the puzzle which is where he's best suited as a player/more productive and efficient. I like his rebounding ability considering I don't see a plus athlete and he's a tweener. He's a guy I think can be a very productive CBB player if he STAYS. He's got to be on a 2/3 yr plan for him to get to where some think he is now.

He handles well enough to get where he has to go. He rebs. Passing was good with better teammates in the Team USA setting. Had good toughness/competitiveness when he was in role minutes. He can create his own shot but prefer seeing him catch and shoot.

What I think you are watching with Knox is him in a role where I don't see him at Kentucky or beyond. He's not a guy you will play through all the time/build around. He's part of the puzzle. When I've liked him/think he plays best he's playing off other guys and making plays. Spots up and can hit open jumpers. When he's the "guy", I think that's where everyone kind of goes into "I don't get it" viewpoint. Which I agree with you. Just choose to think he won't be the focal point of the program in Lexington and will be part of the puzzle which is where he's best suited as a player/more productive and efficient. I like his rebounding ability considering I don't see a plus athlete and he's a tweener. He's a guy I think can be a very productive CBB player if he STAYS. He's got to be on a 2/3 yr plan for him to get to where some think he is now.

He handles well enough to get where he has to go. He rebs. Passing was good with better teammates in the Team USA setting. Had good toughness/competitiveness when he was in role minutes. He can create his own shot but prefer seeing him catch and shoot.

That’s where I can agree if he stays, IF, he stays. From what I gather he definitely won’t, and therefore these are the types of recruits I don’t want under Calipari. I guess that’s what I’m saying, fringe types that don’t do anything great and bolt after 1 year to a 2nd round pick? I would avoid those at all costs, and that’s what I think we have with him. It’s just a guess but much of it, I just think I’ve seen this before.

I would rather build my teams around Adou’s, Sheppards, Perry’s, etc than guys like Knox. I just don’t think he stays beyond 1 year and can’t help us in that time, he’s just not good enough.

But hopefully I’ll miss, won’t be the first time, but doesn’t happen often either.

I
I can see him at Kansas but he also had Texas and Alabama involved too. It wasn't like he was set on just a final list of only Adidas schools. At the time of his recruitment, Indiana had told him they were landing a lot of guys-and he was talking with his Montverde teammate Derik Queen a lot and that was an IU/MD battle with Terps winning out.

Kansas gets guys who are Nike guys a lot just as UK gets Adidas guys. In this class alone they have Somto, JQ, and Perry who were all Adidas affiliated with Summer Basketball programs--JQ was with EYBL but left to join Team Loaded. Everyone had him ticketed for anywhere but UK once that happened.
i knew about Queen, interesting though.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
I really invested hard into Dilly this year. His cards just didn’t peak at the value I thought they would. Got some very good rare Bowman first auto’s and OTE auto patches for really good prices. Still can’t believe what some of them went for.

Shep is just stupid high. Way too high imo. I did buy a few /25 auto and /50 auto bowman first but if he doesn’t blow up in the pros some people are going to be upset. I’ll load up then if that happens. But had no choice had to go after some of his anyway just in case you can’t get them if he turns into Steve Nash or John Stockton.

Cyril is the Best Buy’s right now. People aren’t on him and his stuff is dirt cheap
Got about 23 Dilly OTE cards. Got 14 Cyril OTE cards. Been buying those bad boys up. Also on a off note, I bought 25 Sarr OTE cards cheap and have been making bank on them.

• Love
Reactions: Jeff2Reed
guys who get upset about getting a guy. like players can't surprise you.. idiotic reaction in my opinion

Yep I mean you can be more excited over certain recruits compared to others but lets not hammer this guy when he hasn't even played one game in the UK uniform yet. He might surprise some.

The 39% is good...the 34 won't cut it
Aaron Harrison shot 34% from three as a high school senior, playing against easier opponents.

I'm sure that cut it during his freshman year when he buried four straight tournament opponents with late-game daggers. Knox has the shooting fundamentals to be a high 30% three point shooter. Plus, he won't be a focal point on next year's roster. UK wants Peterson to be their scorer.

This season the national average in D1 for three point shooting is 33.9%.

Being an average three point shooter isn't the worst in the world especially if there's other things he brings to the table.

Also, it's not out of the realm of possibly that as his usage goes down, his % goes up.

Simply said....Knox can't shoot the ball well. He'll likely be a 30% ish a better scenario in year 1 at college level. And by my defintion...that ain't a guy who can shoot.

We'll see about Boogie.....I'd argue he'll be a Wagner level shooter.

Agreed on Perry...and totally agree you'll likely never see a guy hit 53% 3pt shots like Reed in college (that takes a fair volume of shots and not just totall spot up)

But this team next year looks likes a way step back in replacing Reeves, Shep and Dilly iin all 3 spots. Hell even Edwards is 38% from deep now. Barring a portal shooter.....we'll be bricking our way with Fland, KNox, Richmond, Theiro, etc... playing this many perimeter minutes.

What are you basing this on ? How did you come to the conclusion ? Have you been around him to know his personality, or juat shooting from the hip ? These kids you never know how they will be. He may be better than Kevin, maybe not. But like the :doesn't seem like the kid to stay a second year, what are you basing that on ? Me, I have no clue what he will or won't do, and not going to act like I do.
"What are you basing this on? How did you come to the conclusion?" Same question; answer is highlights and statistics.

"Have you been around him to know his personality..." Why do I need to know his personality to have an opinion on his basketball abilities?

"...doesn't seem like the kid to stay a second year, what are you basing that on?" His own stated goal, when giving the reasons for his choice of school--"he (calipari) puts people in the league, and I want to be a pro" as well as reports that his choice was between UK and g-league.

"Me, I have no clue what he will or won't do, and not going to act like I do" I gave an opinion (you can recognize it by use of terms such as "hope I'm wrong, but I don't see how" and "doesn't seem like the type") on a message board. Never claimed to have inside info and didn't state my opinion as fact.

"Me, I have no clue..." Obviously...

Simply said....Knox can't shoot the ball well. He'll likely be a 30% ish a better scenario in year 1 at college level. And by my defintion...that ain't a guy who can shoot.

We'll see about Boogie.....I'd argue he'll be a Wagner level shooter.

Agreed on Perry...and totally agree you'll likely never see a guy hit 53% 3pt shots like Reed in college (that takes a fair volume of shots and not just totall spot up)

But this team next year looks likes a way step back in replacing Reeves, Shep and Dilly iin all 3 spots. Hell even Edwards is 38% from deep now. Barring a portal shooter.....we'll be bricking our way with Fland, KNox, Richmond, Theiro, etc... playing this many perimeter minutes.
The more shooters you have on the floor the more synergy you create for everyone. Edwards % is going up because he is getting great looks. If we go back to lineups with 2-3 average or below shooters it will be a struggle. We shall see I guess....will they still go hard in the portal to get scoring and will those guys want to come with the numbers on the roster.

Reactions: G-PIP
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT