ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas - Trilly

How many recruits choose a school for NON-basketball-related reasons? How many for even NON-NIL/money reasons? How many don’t care WHICH blueblood program they go to? How many grew up favoring one program …only to be swayed at the last minute to another? Recruits probably aren’t NEEEEEEAARLY as knowledgable & wrapped up in comparing programs’ numbers of final fours, Elite Eights & titles as we die-hard fans are. They may not care about “modern era” program success…or…perhaps ONLY care about modern era success (because they don’t know much basketball history). How many can’t think for themselves, so they let their best friends/parents/AAU coaches make all their decisions? In the distant future, when players are older and have nothing to lose, we could end up hearing the truth about the deciding factors on school choices. Until then, we can only guess, but I think we’re too quick to say that recruiting decisions are based only on program history and NIL money.

I can only come to you from a Kansas fan’s perspective. As someone familiar with Lawrence & KU, I think it’s obvious what some of these important-to-recruits, Lawrence&KU-related, but non-NIL and non-basketball-history-related, aesthetic variables might be (which add up to ultimately sway recruits to KU), but I wouldn’t expect Kentucky fans to know about them.

I’ve never been to Lexington, or even Kentucky, so it wouldn’t be fair for me to pretend I know how to accurately compare the two universities, visually. Though I’m very familiar with Lawrence, all I have to go on with Lexington and UK, are things like: photos, UK’s basketball history, UK’s academic numbers & rankings, and the geographic and cultural info pertaining to the Lexington, Louisville & Cincinnati. I’ve seen stats on crime rates, “friendliest states”, poorest states, quality of living, political/voting tendencies and (as I said) academic rankings…as well as endowment money, and opinion articles on “the most beautiful college campuses”.

KU puts a LOT of money into maintaining its old, historic campus buildings, but WAY, WAY more into building lots of new, state-of-the-art, modern-looking teaching buildings and residence halls. The city also promotes, very well, the building of privately owned apartments close to campus. There have been some big ones built recently. (So, in general, there are a LOT of new buildings around KU’s campus.)

I would doubt that most Kentuckians know how KU’s campus is built all along the top of a quite sizable hill, that’s in sort of an “S” shape, so, it’s neat (imho) how, when you’re walking around KU’s campus, you can often see the town of Lawrence, below. Now it’s not a huge hill, but it’s high enough to look neat (imo). K-State fans call KU “Snob Hill”, by the way, and THEY ALSO have a hill in the middle of their town (Bluemont Hill, which is just slightly taller than KU’s “Mt. Oread” hill), that you can drive to the top of, which overlooks KSU’s campus and the town of Manhattan.

Annnnyway, all of that simply aesthetic stuff has NOTHING, whatsoever, to do with basketball, but… I would guess a beautiful campus could help sway a recruit. It’s true that Kansas is a very flat state, but there ARE extremely hilly places here & there — just none that are real tall. The upper northeast corner of Kansas, from Manhattan, east to Topeka and Lawrence, and on east to Kansas City has some very hilly areas. But we have nothing compared to the huge hills/mountains, of eastern Kentucky (that I’ve seen pictures of). Still, whoever decided to put our state universities in both Lawrence and Manhattan knew the right places to put them, because they are pretty little towns, with many more trees and and many more hills than your average Kansas town.

Still, it’s nothing compared to the scenic beauty of Kentucky, I’m sure, SO ...

...I’d be curious to see photos of Kentucky’s scenic beauty and UK’s campus. In turn, I’ll share some Lawrence and KU photos. (And I found a couple of topographic maps which show some of the hills I was talking about.)

Now I KNOW I’m just rambling here (I blame the medicine), but I wanted to make the point that, as a KU fan and Kansan, I can see lots of reasons why a recruit would want to choose to live in Lawrence and go to school “up on the hill”. Sure, a lot of Lawrencians and students are very…unique…in their preferences and behaviors and how they dress, but that all just makes for a very unusual, unique and interesting place.

Still rambling…but I WILL share some photos of KU and Lawrence. Like Kentucky fans (I’m sure) are proud of Lexington and UK, I’m ALSO proud of KU and Lawrence.

Note: It’s a 15-minute drive from east Lawrence to the western edge of the KC suburbs. (It looks to be about 70-ish miles from the outside edge of Lexington to either Louisville or Cincinnati — is that right?) Cincinnati’s metro population is around 2.26 million, KC’s metro pop is around 2.21 million, Louisville’s is around 1.36 million, Lawrence’s pop is maybe 110,000, and what is Lexington’s? Looks like maybe a couple-hundred thousand? 500,000 in the surrounding area? The county to the east of Lawrence, KS (Johnson County, KS, has 600,000 people, is super-fast-growing, and full of brand-new, trendy places to spend money. It’s among the wealthiest counties in the nation, so I would guess that a lot of KU’s main boosters live there.) I read where KU’s endowment is $2.2 billion, and UK’s is $1.685. I also read where KU is in the top-20 in number of Rhodes scholars (with 27, and Kentucky has 10.)…not that a university’s academic reputation would necessarily make much of a difference to basketball recruits. I think, overall, both KU and UK rank in the 100’s of “Best Colleges/Universities in the US”, with KU ranking 121, and UK ranking 137, so neither one is very “top”.

I’d like to get opinions on Lawrence, KU, and KC, from UK fans who’ve been to there. What was your impression? Did you actually go up the hill to campus? Did you shop on Mass Street? Did you go to Allen Fieldhouse and the museum(s) (the one actually in the AFH entrance and also the one to the north of it)?

Last edited:

On the topic of just basketball, a recruit could compare historic numbers and statistics, the appearance of the facilities, the friendliness and possible trustworthiness of the coaches, players basketball staff and academic staff. Also, a major variable could be which program gets the recruit to their campus first. Game-day atmosphere would be another important element …so did the recruit come on a game-day? Were we playing a cupcake team or a great team? Did they visit on a big football weekend(?)(KU’s football is on a big rise, and Kentucky’s has been), or did the basketball recruit just come during the boring summertime?

By the way, KU recently announced a 45+ million renovation to Allen Fieldhouse — this is in addition to the 2016 DeBruce Center …(basketball museum/building and dining lounge) …that joins AFH and houses James Naismith’s “Original Rules of Basketball” exhibit. And McCarthy Hall, where the basketball players live, was built around that time, too.

I know Cal has been at odds with admin. over basketball facilities, but is finally making some headway, on his own terms, it seems.

Again, I’m sorry for how stupidly long this message is. I’m feeling under the weather, have “medicine head” and am bored at home.

If this message comes across as another self-righteous Kansas fan beating his chest while being truly inferior, well…that’s just the way I want it!

But I am curious: Which OTHER variables are the most important at swaying recruits, besides the usual suspects of basketball tradition, NIL money, under-the-table money, competing shoe company deals, coaches, and the NBA success of former players? Could the deciding factor be something as superficial as “This campus is prettier than that one!” Again, I don’t know anything about UK’s campus or what Lexington and the surrounding area have to offer recruits (besides the obvious tourism promotions of horse-racing and bourbon). …So maybe I could learn something from you Kentucky fans, about what could get recruits’ attention in their visit, besides all the obvious choices.

Maybe a recruit’s family doesn’t want them to ever live in Kansas because of some dumb reason, like the weather (extreme hot & cold, and very windy), or some kind of “common” natural disaster for the state (like tornados). By the way, basketball aside, my heart goes out to all the Kentucky families devastated by Kentucky’s recent natural disasters.

I just know that fans of both schools seem flabbergasted when a recruit doesn’t choose THEIR school. We are beside ourselves because we love our programs and state (commonwealth) so much. So I think BOTH fanbases could — and should — learn a thing or two about why the other fanbase is so proud. I mean, message board fans “beat” basketball statistics “to death” (e.g. title counts, final four counts, total win numbers), but do recruits really do that?

Maybe they are swayed by the accumulation of seemingly trivial stuff. You’d THINK going to the most prestigious program and having the most prestigious coach and getting the most NIL money and the best track to the NBA would be the biggest factors — and they PROBABLY ARE (as are all the opinions of the various people in the recruits’ lives). But other, lesser, factors surely add up.

If I were a coach and recruiter, I’d probably go crazy pondering all the little things which might sway a recruit’s decision and how to best articulate my recruiting pitch. KU and UK fans see huge differences in the two programs (total package-wise), but maybe recruits don’t, or maybe they do, but it’s for the dumbest reasons. Speaking of “dumbest”, this has to be the dumbest post I’ve ever made — ever — but I blame the cold & sinus medicine. My apologies.

Signed,

Random & dumb KU fan.

PS, And I WILL try to post some photos (below) of Lawrence and KU — make this outrageously long post WAY longer.

And I’d appreciate seeing some photos of Lexington and UK. (…I mean, you know…if ya WANT.)

And I want someone to please point-out how “really neat” and helpful this post has been, lol. 👍🏻👊🏻

I’m super cool.

Last edited:

On the topic of just basketball, a recruit could compare historic numbers and statistics, the appearance of the facilities, the friendliness and possible trustworthiness of the coaches, players basketball staff and academic staff. Also, a major variable could be which program gets the recruit to their campus first. Game-day atmosphere would be another important element, so did the recruit come on a game-day, were we playing a cupcake team or a great team? Did they visit on a big football weekend(?)(KU’s football is on a big rise right now, snd Kentucky’s has been, too), or did the basketball recruit just come during the boring summertime?

By the way, KU recently announced a 45+ million renovation to Allen Fieldhouse — this is in addition to the 2016 DeBruce basketball building Center, which joins AFH and houses James Naismith’s Original Rules of Basketball exhibit. And McCarthy Hall, where the basketball players live, was built around that time, too.

I know Cal has been at odds with Admin. Over facilities, but finally, slowly, making some headway, it seems.

Again, I’m sorry for how stupidly long this message is. I’m feeling under the weather, home, have “medicine head” and very bored.

If this message comes across as just another self-righteous Kansas fan beating his chest while being truly inferior, well…that’s just the way I want this to sound.

But I am curious: Besides all the usual suspects of basketball tradition, NIL money, under-the-table money, competing shoe company deals, coaches, and the NBA success of players, which OTHER variables are the most important at swaying recruits? Could it be something as superficial as “This campus is prettier than that one!” Again, I don’t know much of anything at all about UK’s campus or what Lexington and the surrounding area have to offer recruits (besides the obvious tourism promotions of horseracing and bourbon). Maybe I could learn something, from Kentucky fans, about what could get recruits’ attention, besides all the obvious choices.

Maybe a recruit’s family doesn’t want them to ever live in Kansas because of some dumb reason like the weather (extreme hot and cold and very windy), or some kind of “common” natural disaster (tornados). By the way, basketball aside, my heart goes out to all the Kentucky families devastated by Kentucky’s recent-ish natural disasters.

I just know that fans of both schools seem flabbergasted when a recruit doesn’t choose THEIR school. We are beside ourselves because we love our programs and states (commonwealths) so much. So I think both fanbases could learn a thing or two about why the other fanbase is so proud. I mean, message board fans “beat” basketball statistics “to death” (e.g. title counts, final four counts, total win numbers), but do recruits really do that? Maybe they are swayed by the accumulation of seemingly trivial stuff. You’d THINK going to the most prestigious program and having the most prestigious coach and getting the most NIL money and the best track to the NBA would be the biggest factors — and they PROBABLY ARE — as are all the opinions of the various people in the recruits’ lives. But other, lesser, factors surely add up too. If I were a coach and recruiter, I’d probably go crazy pondering all the little things which might sway a recruit’s decision and how to best articulate my recruiting pitch. KU and UK fans see huge differences in the two programs (total package-wise), but maybe recruits don’t, or maybe they do, but it’s for the dumbest reasons. Speaking of “dumbest”, this has to be the dumbest post I’ve ever made — ever — but I blame the cold & sinus medicine. My apologies.

Signed,

Random, dumb KU fan.

PS, And I WILL try to post some photos (below) of Lawrence and KU — try to make this outrageously long post WAY longer.

And I’d appreciate seeing some photos of Lexington and UK. (…I mean, you know…if ya WANT.)

And I want someone to please point-out how “really neat” and helpful this post has been, lol. 👍🏻👊🏻

I’m super cool. Go (Away) Jayhawks
Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_11.33.38_AM.jpg

IMG-9876.jpg
IMG-9874.jpg
IMG-9871.jpg
IMG-9872.jpg
IMG-9304.jpg
IMG-9305.jpg
IMG-9294.jpg
IMG-9295.jpg
IMG-9358.jpg
IMG-9360.jpg
IMG-9398.jpg
IMG-9538.jpg
IMG-9309.jpg
IMG-9323.jpg
IMG-9404.jpg
IMG-9319.jpg

IMG-9877.jpg

IMG-9949.jpg

IMG-9950.jpg

(The population data map info. above, is outdated/is from 2010, and both Lex & Law grew around 8 or 9% over these past ten+ years.)
IMG-9952.jpg

Last edited:
IMG-9137.jpg
IMG-9582.jpg
IMG-9587.jpg
IMG-9584.jpg
IMG-9581.jpg
IMG-9580.jpg
IMG-9590.jpg

(I learned UK is up to 53 regular season conference titles.)
IMG-9589.jpg
IMG-9576.jpg
IMG-9575.jpg
IMG-9570.jpg
IMG-9571.jpg
IMG-9569.jpg
IMG-9568.jpg
IMG-9565.jpg
IMG-9566.jpg

IMG-9856.jpg

IMG-9862.jpg

IMG-9861.webp

IMG-9860.jpg

Forgive all those KU & Lawrence pictures (and one or two of KC). I’ll quit with all that.

But in closing, here’s a random factoid:

Most wins in the Cal-at-UK era (fall 2009-spring 2023 = 14 seasons):

425 wins: Gonzaga (2ff, 5EE, 13Conf champs, 11 conf tourney champs)

415 wins: KU (1 title, 3 ff, 6 EE, 12 conf champs, 6 conf tourney champs)

396 wins: Duke (2 titles, 3FF, 6EE, 2 conf champs, 5 tourney champs)

387 wins UK (1 title, 4 ff, 7 EE, 6 conf champs, 6 conf tourney champs)

359 wins: Nova (2 titles, 3 EE, 7 conf champs, 5 conf tourney champs)

358 wins: Unc (1 title, 3 FF, 5EE, 5 conf champs, 1 conf tourney champ)

314 wins: Ucla (1 EE, 2 conf champs, 1 conf tourney champ)

301 wins: Uconn (3 titles, 3 FF, 3 EE, 0 conf champs, 2 conf tourney champs)

And PSS, Can’t wait for out November matchup! I think you all shoot the ball quite a bit better than we do, and I don’t know if our big men will be able to keep up with yours.

Lineups:

KU. / UK

D. Harris. /Dillingham
A. Morris. /Wagner
Elmarko. J.
(Mcdowell)
K. Mccullar. /Edwards
N. Timberlake. /Reeves
(Jankovich)
J. Furphy. /Sheppard
KJ Adams. /Thiero
P. Braun. /Mitchell/Burks
H.Dickinson /Bradshaw/Ugonna/Ivisic?
(Clemence)
(Willhite)

Last edited:
(Sigh, smh) Welp, I’m now tryin’ to add those Lawrence/KU pics that didn’t, for some reason, post above…

So one last try:

Here goes: (Thank you, Kentucky fans, for your …putting up with me/these posts.)
IMG-9800.png
IMG-9801.jpg
IMG-9795.jpg
IMG-9794.jpg

IMG-9739.jpg

IMG-9715.jpg

IMG-9717.jpg

IMG-9734.jpg

IMG-9675.jpg

IMG-9676.jpg

IMG-9678.jpg

IMG-9679.jpg

IMG-9680.jpg

IMG-9674.jpg

IMG-9737.jpg

IMG-9683.jpg

IMG-9713.jpg

IMG-9696.jpg

IMG-9697.jpg

IMG-9799.jpg

Last edited:
IMG-9668.jpg

IMG-9673.jpg

IMG-9651.jpg

IMG-9718.jpg

IMG-9631.jpg

IMG-9669.jpg

IMG-9306.jpg

IMG-8502.jpg

IMG-8433.jpg

IMG-8432.jpg

IMG-9055.jpg

IMG-9069.jpg

IMG-9255.jpg

IMG-9267.jpg

IMG-8489.jpg

IMG-8485.jpg

IMG-8426.jpg

IMG-8430.jpg

IMG-9854.jpg

IMG-9857.jpg

That’s it. That’s all I’ll post. And that gives you a rough idea of what recruits (and their families) MIGHT see, when they visit KU. I gave you a very odd assortment of photos, I know; it’s all over the place, sorry. And there were some good ones that didn’t ever post, for some reason. Oh well. I’m done.

I …just ran out of time.🫤🙄🥱🤐👋

I’ll show myself out…will ”SELF”-ban, for a few days.🥁🫠(crickets)

Last edited:
How many recruits choose a school for NON-basketball-related reasons? How many for even NON-NIL/money reasons? How many don’t care WHICH blueblood program they go to? How many grew up favoring one program …only to be swayed at the last minute to another? Recruits probably aren’t NEEEEEEAARLY as knowledgable & wrapped up in comparing programs’ numbers of final fours, Elite Eights & titles as we die-hard fans are. They may not care about “modern era” program success…or…perhaps ONLY care about modern era success (because they don’t know much basketball history). How many can’t think for themselves, so they let their best friends/parents/AAU coaches make all their decisions? In the distant future, when players are older and have nothing to lose, we could end up hearing the truth about the deciding factors on school choices. Until then, we can only guess, but I think we’re too quick to say that recruiting decisions are based only on program history and NIL money.

I can only come to you from a Kansas fan’s perspective. As a Jayhawk, I think it’s obvious what some of these non-NIL and non-basketball-history variables might be (which add up to ultimately sway recruits to KU).

I’ve never been to Lexington, or even Kentucky, so it wouldn’t be fair for me to pretend I know how to accurately compare the two universities. I’m very familiar with Lawrence, but all I have to go on, with Lexington and UK, are: photos, UK’s well-documented basketball history, UK’s academic numbers and rankings, and the geographic and cultural information pertaining to the Lexington, Louisville and Cincinnati areas. I’ve seen statistics on crime rates, “friendliest states”, poorest states, political/voting tendencies and (as I said) academic rankings…as well as endowment money and opinion articles on “the most beautiful college campuses”.

KU puts a LOT of money into maintaining its old, historic campus buildings, but WAY, WAY more into building lots of new, state-of-the-art, modern-looking teaching buildings and residence halls. The city also promotes, very well, the building of privately owned apartments close to campus. There have been some big ones built recently. (So, in general, there are a LOT of new buildings around KU’s campus.)

I would doubt that most Kentuckians know how KU’s campus is built all along the top of a quite sizable hill, that’s in sort of an “S” shape, so, it’s neat (imho) how, when you’re walking around KU’s campus, you can often see the town of Lawrence, below. Now it’s not a huge hill, but it’s high enough to look neat (imo). K-State fans call KU “Snob Hill”, by the way, and THEY ALSO have a hill in the middle of their town (Bluemont Hill, which is just slightly taller than KU’s “Mt. Oread” hill), that you can drive to the top of, which overlooks KSU’s campus and the town of Manhattan.

Annnnyway, all of that simply aesthetic stuff has NOTHING, whatsoever, to do with basketball, but… I would guess a beautiful campus could help sway a recruit. It’s true that Kansas is a very flat state, but there ARE extremely hilly places here & there — just none that are real tall. The upper northeast corner of Kansas, from Manhattan, east to Topeka and Lawrence, and on east to Kansas City has some very hilly areas. But we have nothing compared to the huge hills/mountains, of eastern Kentucky, that I’ve seen pictures of. Still, whoever decided to put our state universities in both Lawrence and Manhattan knew the right places to put them, because they are pretty little towns, with many more trees and and many more hills than your average Kansas town.

Still, it’s nothing compared to the scenic beauty of Kentucky, I’m sure, so I’d be curious to see photos of Kentucky’s scenic beauty and UK’s campus. In turn, I’ll share some Lawrence and KU photos. And I found a couple of topographic maps which show some of the hills I was talking about.

Now I KNOW I’m just rambling here (I blame the medicine), but I wanted to make the point that, as a KU fan and Kansan, I can see lots of reasons why a recruit would want to choose to live in Lawrence and go to school “up on the hill”. Sure, a lot of Lawrencians and students are very…unique…in their preferences and behaviors and how they dress, but that all just makes for a very unusual, unique and interesting place.

I don’t know. Still rambling…but I WILL share some photos of KU and Lawrence, if I can figure out how. Like Kentucky fans (I’m sure) are proud of Lexington and UK, I’m ALSO proud of KU and Lawrence.

Note: It’s a 15-minute drive from east Lawrence to the western edge of the KC suburbs. (It looks to be about 70-ish miles from the outside edge of Lexington to either Louisville or Cincinnati — is that right?) Cincinnati’s metro population is around 2.26 million, KC’s metro pop is around 2.21 million, Louisville’s is around 1.36 million, Lawrence’s pop is maybe 110,000, and what is Lexington’s? Looks like maybe a couple-hundred thousand? 500,000 in the surrounding area? The county to the east of Lawrence, KS (Johnson County, KS, has 600,000 people, is super-fast-growing, and full of brand-new, trendy places to spend money. It’s among the wealthiest counties in the nation, so I would guess that a lot of KU’s main boosters live there.) I read where KU’s endowment is $2.2 billion, and UK’s is $1.685. I also read where KU is in the top-20 in number of Rhodes scholars (with 27) and (Kentucky has 10.)…not that a university’s academic reputation would necessarily make much of a difference to basketball recruits. I think, overall, both KU and UK rank in the 100’s of “Best Colleges/Universities in the US”, with KU ranking 121, and UK ranking 137, so neither one is very “top”.

I’d like to get opinions on Lawrence, KU, and KC, from UK fans who’ve been to there. What was your impression? Did you actually go up the hill to campus? Did you shop on Mass Street? Did you go to Allen Fieldhouse and the museum(s) (the one actually in the AFH entrance and also the one to the north of it)?

You're like the Leo Tolstoy of this message board. So many words. So much to sift through. Yet, none of his talent.

A1aDb5U5myL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

I have no idea what just happened, but as a KU fan I apologize for all of that crap if indeed that guy is really a KU fan. Also, please ban him for all of eternity.
As a Kansas fan, I am also embarrassed for our fanbase by this dude posting all of those campus photos. Dude, no one here cares.

• Haha
Reactions: Fox2monk
The 10th anniversary party for the "original rules of basketball" looks like a real hoot. Wonder if it too involved Snoop and poles? Nothing says party like a freshly starched button down and a 100% cotton T-shirt.

• Haha
Reactions: Fox2monk
As a Kansas fan, I am also embarrassed for our fanbase by this dude posting all of those campus photos. Dude, no one here cares.

I disagree. I just can't get enough.

Dear Kansas poster - if you don't mind - I would love to see at least 239 more pictures. Also, if you can describe each picture and what it means to you I would also enjoy reading that.

Thank you.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
I mean they have a stuffed rattlesnake.
Must be a hell of a town.
That timber rattler’s ‘LIVE, bro! 👍🏻 Live museum exhibit! I wouldn’t even joke! ROCKCHALK, yeah? (🕊️not bragging🙏🏻)

Well as long as we’re on the topic, here are more program comparisons,
from start of UK’s Pitino era (fall of ‘89) thru’ current (34 seasons):

____
Program Wins (1990-2023):

Kentucky: 909
Kansas: 983

——

Ranked Wins (‘90-‘23):

KU: 190
UK: 182

____

Titles (‘90-‘23):

UK: 3
KU: 2

____

Runners-up (‘90-‘23):

KU: 3
UK: 2

____

So, 1st or 2nd place finishes (‘90-‘23):

UK: 5
KU: 5
_____

F4’s (‘90-‘23):

UK: 8
KU:8
____

E8’s (‘90-‘23):

UK: 16
KU: 14

_____

S16’s (‘90-‘23):

KU: 20
UK: 19

____

Tourney appearances, ‘90-‘23:
KU: 33
UK: 28

(No tourney 2020, when KU ranked 1st.)
——

Tourney wins, 1990-2023:

UK: 77
KU: 66 (KU has had nine, 2nd-round losses, and two 1st-rounds, over past-33 tourneys. Bill has had many key players unavailable during early tourney rounds, contributing to early losses, and also, a lot of the teams who have beaten KU early have been good teams [but some weren’t], but still, fans’ patience is perpetually wearing thin with all the accumulated 2nd-round losses. But the tournament’s a lot about good/bad match-ups and the luck or misfortune of who you play. Nobody’s gonna feel sorry for Kansas or Kentucky drawing a tough opponent. Bottom line: Opponents always play their best games against us, and we lose some we absolutely shouldn’t. Overall, though, we get the best players and coaches at our two programs, so we gradually gain better stats, “all in all”, through the years.

PS, I swear, every time I look at Tubby’s stats (wins, conference titles, monster strength-of-schedule, tourney wins each year = few early-round tourney losses and losing to some very tough teams), I’m more impressed with his coaching and more confused about why (as the story goes in Kansas): “He was ran outta town, by crazy Kentucky fans, who expected perfection”. Tubby had six Sweet 16’s, four Elite Eights, and a title, in ten seasons. He averaged 6.2 ranked wins/season, which is the exact same as Bill Self. Cal averaged 6.666 ranked wins/season over his first six seasons, but only 3.5 over these past eight = 4.85 ranked wins/season avg, over 14 seasons. Pitino averaged 6.125 ranked wins/season. (How much of an effect did John Robic leaving have on Cal’s wins [?], because ….Cal and Robic, together, were a heck of a combo at UMass, Memphis, and UK.) (Of course, Robic, Cal, and Self were all Larry Brown assistants at Kansas, and Robic was there when KU won the title in ‘88.)
____

Anyway, back to stats:

Conf reg season titles (1990-2023):

KU: 26
UK: 15

____

Conf tourney titles (‘90-‘23):
UK: 16
KU: 13

——

Number of “‘Elite Eight’ basketball programs”, Big12 vs SEC:

Number of total B12/Big8(and older) Elite Eights, by Big12 program:

isu: 2 = # of Elite 8’s in program’s history
Baylor 6 (some prior to B12)
Ksu14
Ku23
Ou9
OkSt11
Tx8 (some prior to B12)
TTu 2
Wvu 3 (but none in b12)
Tcu 1 (1968, was not part of b12 then)

—-
Below:
44 = Number of Elite Eights of Brand-new and Future B12 members:

Cu 6 (used to be in B12/Big8)
Az 11
Asu3
Utah6
Hous 7
Cinci8
Byu3
Ucf 0

It’s harder to get wins against programs who have cared about basketball — or have had some proud tournament moments —- cared for basketball at least a little bit (off & on), through the years — b/c fans & players thrive on success, yes? It’s harder to win the conference each year when you have many conference teams who’ve had at least semi-successful tournament histories, and therefore stronger fan support, yielding teams who, in turn, play harder for their rowdy fans = a more balanced conference = harder to win the conference each year …compared to the conference wins of a team (across the country) who is in a conference where eight teams have only one or less Elite Eights in their histories. (I’m making a weak argument — I realize — but “having a lot of below-average conference opponents, through the decades” is an argument that someone COULD make, when comparing UK and KU.)

With the Big12 giving up Texas & OU’s 17 combined Elite-Eights, we’re happy to soon be picking up a combined 44 Elite Eights from our new members. More proud programs & fanbases = tougher competition = more pride in winning, when all other things are basically equal, between KU and UK. And remember, KU & Kansas helped develop Rupp & Cal for you (as well as some of your other UK coaches).

In the recent Big12/SEC Challenges, only four, of 14, SEC teams ended with a winning record vs Big12 teams, and many times, Big12 teams would also have an overall winning record vs. SEC teams in the games played outside the Challenge weekend.

Tenn: 6-3
Fla: 6-3
Bama: 4-2
UK: 5-4
——

77= Number of Elite Eights, by SEC programs, of which (and this is amazing…), right at half (49.4%) are by just one of its 14 programs (Kentucky with 38 of 77):

Uf 9
Ark 11
Uk 38
Lsu 6

Mizz: 5, prior to joining SEC (from B12)

Aub 2

(Then there are eight SEC programs with 1 or none):

Tx A&m 0
OleMiss0
S.Car1
Bama1
MissSt 1
Tenn 1
Van1
Ga 1

Soon-to-be acquired “*Elite Eight Programs” (*programs with at least A FEW Elite Eight wins in their histories)/ Future SEC members (acquiring from Big12):

Okla 9, prior to joining SEC
Tex 8, prior to joining SEC

Our OU & Tex B12 teams will really add to your. SEC, non-UK, Elite-Eight Programs numbers.

—-

And again, Elte-Eights today are a LOT harder to come by than they were in the 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, etc., when the tournaments were tiny, and they didn’t invite loads of great teams, and were geographically based/restricted=there was no seeding = not good/fair match-ups.

One final thought:

Kentucky was very successful in the wins column, even before Coach Rupp, so imagine how many MORE “Elite Eights” Kentucky would have, if an “NCAA Tournament” had existed & offered E8’s, prior to the Tourney’s 1939 inception.

And same goes for KU.

= Lots of pre-1939 wins.

= coulda had more national titles/FF’s/E8’s.

Both programs have truly sustained success, compared to everyone else.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT