ADVERTISEMENT

McDonalds AA game

Looks to me like he's complained the most to the refs of all the players. Will fit in perfectly at Duke.
Ryan Young and Filipowski both are missing out on an opportunity for NIL money from Kleenex for all the crying they do. They throw up their hands and turn to the ref every foul call on Duke or if they feel something should have been called.

Cal needs to have an uncomfortable conversation with Quaintance and have him look elsewhere. We don’t need a 16-17 year old kid on the court next year. We are at 6 scholarships and need portal kids more than anything (obviously).
I'm looking forward to the second season from Quaintance, when he could be all American level.

The realistic goal is to get him back for a second year while also bringing in the Dybantsa class.

Fwiw, Jayden is 16 years and 10 months. He'll be 17 in June.

And no, I don't love that, but let's keep in mind he didn't just turn 16. He's going to be playing at Kentucky in November not a whole lot younger than many other freshman were here.
He will play entire season as a 17yo.
That is very young.
Wagner was our youngest player this year, turning 19 next month, so he is almost 2 full years older.
Still, though, I am excited to have JQ for two (2) years. He impressed me.

Fland and JQ were impressive. Fland is small framed and reminds me of Dilly. JQ has the potential to be a beast but it will take time for both to adjust to the college game of 2024. Knox was OK but I think Travis Perry will be better. We need three to four scorers out of the portal plus a big inside bruiser.

I see him developing into an Amare Stoudemire type by the time he's 18/19. He does things that basketball coaches just laugh at due to being amazed he's that gifted. He has elite hands. The way he moves isn't normal for a CBB player now--and he does that at 16. That fake handoff and drive to get a bucket is what you see in the NBA/high level CBB now and he's got that down due to his agility and burst. When he gets stronger. The play where he had a steal and threw a sick pass to Ian Jackson for a dunk.....I mean that's type of pass a guard makes-most bigs after that steal throw a rainbow lob that gets picked off.

Quaintance has the most upside of anyone in this game and not really close. The fact you have him for 2 yrs is INSANE. What a talent.
Can’t remember where I read it, but his comparison last year was a Young Amare with defense and a jumper

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
People saying JQ should leave is just insane to me. I don't care if he's 12. He's a 6'10 240lbs monster. I see a unpolished, but more athletic Demarcus Cousins. By year two he's a 1st team AA in the making.

The way Quaintance moves catches the eye. It's smooth and he kind of glides. It reminds me of when I first saw Monk his high school senior year. Both just move different than other players. My bet would be that Quaintance is going to end up being very good eventually. Still, if it were not for the fact that you get him for 2 years, I would not have recruited him. His potential will certainly show many times next season, but I'm confident that UK could get a much more impactful and productive player from the portal for next season. That sophomore season though could be very good after a baptism by fire.

The problem with JQ and the 2 year thing.. there's nothing stopping him from transferring after a year. And won't that be something. We think we have him for 2 years but he really just auditions for another top landing spot. And especially with Cals tenure for 2025 up in the air.. I'd almost expect it. I'd say it's more likely than not that we only have him for this year.

Here’s a wild story, one of my boys who scouts for the Rockets was talking about the game and I said “he’s like a quicker Nolan Hickman” and he was like “damn, that’s exactly who I was thinking” 😂😂😂
Nolan Hickman isn't anywhere near as gifted as this kid. He's 17 and more aggressive than Hickman is at 21

When have we ever used all 13 scholarships before? One or two of the older walk-ons always get awarded them at the end of the offseason.
Yeah, true. But as of today, the room is crowded.
I'm looking forward to the second season from Quaintance, when he could be all American level.

The realistic goal is to get him back for a second year while also bringing in the Dybantsa class.
Absolutely agree. Have to figure out a way to do that and also bring in an established portal player.

The way Quaintance moves catches the eye. It's smooth and he kind of glides. It reminds me of when I first saw Monk his high school senior year. Both just move different than other players. My bet would be that Quaintance is going to end up being very good eventually. Still, if it were not for the fact that you get him for 2 years, I would not have recruited him. His potential will certainly show many times next season, but I'm confident that UK could get a much more impactful and productive player from the portal for next season. That sophomore season though could be very good after a baptism by fire.
Has a little of the Mashburn look to him, folks here who aren't glad to have him weren't watching the same game as the rest of us

Not really shocked, but very few people are talking about Karter Knox. He looked very solid. ONLY played 12 minutes, and had 9 points, shot the ball real well (hit his only 3 taken). He played under control and did not try to do too much. He has a college ready body and has been working extremely hard on both his game and body. He is a lot more than just a straight line driver now. He has developed a 3 point shot, mid game, and pull up. He plays very physical. I think too many of you are looking at Karter thru Kevin. I have said it multiple times, he will be / is BETTER than Kevin Knox. Last night he was 4-6 from the field (1-1 from 3).

I'm thinking the same thing, but Dillingham was the same way and did fine. He can add some muscle but if he's quick and skilled enough he'll find a way. Not expecting him to be as good as Dilly but I'm optimistic after seeing him tonight.
Similar in that they are both very shifty. Boogie is much more of a PG than Dillingham, whereas Rob is an explosive scorer, who helps his team by getting buckets, but doesn't make others better.

Has a little of the Mashburn look to him, folks here who aren't glad to have him weren't watching the same game as the rest of us
JQ definitely won the genetic lottery.
Not a coach in America that would pass on JQ.
Can't believe people talk about cutting some of our recruits loose or say it was a mistake signing them so we can go after "an established portal player" .
Hell Savir and Keion fit that description.
A "scorer" from the portal could mean the next Julius Mays.
He avg'd 15 a game before transferring to UK
I think Knenct has made some have unrealistic expectations of what you normally get in the portal.

licensed-image
I'm a big fan of long hair, but Quaintance's mop needs a trim during the season. His doo looked like one of these.

Not really shocked, but very few people are talking about Karter Knox. He looked very solid. ONLY played 12 minutes, and had 9 points, shot the ball real well (hit his only 3 taken). He played under control and did not try to do too much. He has a college ready body and has been working extremely hard on both his game and body. He is a lot more than just a straight line driver now. He has developed a 3 point shot, mid game, and pull up. He plays very physical. I think too many of you are looking at Karter thru Kevin. I have said it multiple times, he will be / is BETTER than Kevin Knox. Last night he was 4-6 from the field (1-1 from 3).
Knox is a very good incoming freshman. The problem I have, and maybe you and others have, is that I think he should probably be a backup as a freshman – the way it used to be and is still is for most teams. That talent and upside could be nice in a limited, low-pressure role. But based on Calipari’s history, I fear Knox will be the starting 2G or his presence prevents UK from bringing in a proven, mature ready-to-go SF from the portal. Add to that the fact that he has clearly and repeatedly stated he’s OAD regardless, and his value seems diminished.

Of course, anything could happen. Knox could be 1st team All-SEC, a portal SF could struggle too, lightening could strike twice in the same place, etc. But history has proven that the percentages of that happening are not high, and why take that bigger gamble if you’re one of the top programs in CBB?

I think Knenct has made some have unrealistic expectations of what you normally get in the portal.
Don't forget Oscar and Reeves. But the number of players who pan out vs the number who excel is tiny.

[edit: This is blather. Now I don't know what I meant.]

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox2monk
Karter is what UK fans have been asking for when they say they don't care what a player does in the NBA, it's what they do at UK.
Karter is a classic high floor FR a lot like Trevor Keels was at Duke.
Keels dominated TyTy and our #1 portal 2G Grady at the Champions Classic and helped Duke to a FF.
Don't hear much about him in the League though.
Some think that portal guys that are better than Knox are a dime a dozen and that is just not true.
No doubt there are some but it's not the norm.

Reactions: BluesDaddy
Don't forget Oscar and Reeves. But the number of players who pan out vs the number who excel is tiny.
I always look at Oscar different because we recruited him out of HS and he wanted to be here.
Reeves got a redemption by coming back for the super senior season.
His legacy would be far different if KState was his last game.
From here on our if we sign a senior in the portal, they are OAD.

Knox also looked significantly better (and stronger) than I expected. Knox plays strong with the ball. It is something we didn't really have last season. He looks like he can play college ball tomorrow. None of these guys are MKG, John Wall, or Anthony Davis, but you can see the potential.

Knox is a very good incoming freshman. The problem I have, and maybe you and others have, is that I think he should probably be a backup as a freshman – the way it used to be and is still is for most teams. That talent and upside could be nice in a limited, low-pressure role. But based on Calipari’s history, I fear Knox will be the starting 2G or his presence prevents UK from bringing in a proven, mature ready-to-go SF from the portal. Add to that the fact that he has clearly and repeatedly stated he’s OAD regardless, and his value seems diminished.

Of course, anything could happen. Knox could be 1st team All-SEC, a portal SF could struggle too, lightening could strike twice in the same place, etc. But history has proven that the percentages of that happening are not high, and why take that bigger gamble if you’re one of the top programs in CBB?
I really don't know if a SF that could absolutely put Karter on the bench has even entered yet.
Don't know about the kid from Milwaukee, I'd say that's a toss up

Karter is what UK fans have been asking for when they say they don't care what a player does in the NBA, it's what they do at UK.
Karter is a classic high floor FR a lot like Trevor Keels was at Duke.
Keels dominated TyTy and our #1 portal 2G Grady at the Champions Classic and helped Duke to a FF.
Don't hear much about him in the League though.
Some think that portal guys that are better than Knox are a dime a dozen and that is just not true.
No doubt there are some but it's not the norm.
I like your comparison of Knox to Keels. Keels was sporadic, but very good a number of times - and I think you're right that his body had a lot to do with the level of success he had. But I disagree with your statement that getting a better SF option from the portal over a 5-star freshman is not the norm. I think it is very much the norm now. In fact, I think there are almost always going to be more than a few transfers who fit that description each year. Moreover, Wendell Moore was a much better player & SF for that Duke squad. Keels hurt that team in this regard: If Duke had had a better perimeter scoring 2G (and Duke had no business relying on Keels as its 2G as a freshman) Duke would have had a much better team and shot at winning it all.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
I like your comparison of Knox to Keels. Keels was sporadic, but very good a number of times - and I think you're right that his body had a lot to do with the level of success he had. But I disagree with your statement that getting a better SF option from the portal over a 5-star freshman is not the norm. I think it is very much the norm now. In fact, I think there are almost always going to be more than a few transfers who fit that description each year. Moreover, Wendell Moore was a much better player & SF for that Duke squad. Keels hurt that team in this regard: If Duke had had a better perimeter scoring 2G (and Duke had no business relying on Keels as its 2G as a freshman) Duke would have had a much better team and shot at winning it all.
There definitely could be some game changers enter by the deadline.
Last years portal class was insane.
Dickenson
Knenct
Caleb Love
Harrison Ingram
Max Abmas
Grant Nelson
Ke'lel Ware.
24 portal class has a long way to go.
Cliff O. is #1 right now but wouldn't have been top 10 last year.
I'd be very pleased with Adou, Wagner, Burks, Hart, 1 of the bigs, and the kid from Milwaukee to go with the six frosh.
Hold 1 scholly for a surprise addition like Mitchell.

They could, but that is not the universe we operate under with Cal. This is a universe that includes Whitney starting over IQ, the most glaring example of a multitude of other lineup debacles.
Yeah no more than 2-3 freshmen if u want a higher chance at success in March. Best to blend 1-2 talented freshmen with 5-6 returnees and portal guys. Ultimately 8-9 ballers to increase the NIL pie and minutes. Cal doesn't coach well with more than that anyway.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
There definitely could be some game changers enter by the deadline.
Last years portal class was insane.
Dickenson
Knenct
Caleb Love
Harrison Ingram
Max Abmas
Grant Nelson
Ke'lel Ware.
24 portal class has a long way to go.
Cliff O. is #1 right now but wouldn't have been top 10 last year.
I'd be very pleased with Adou, Wagner, Burks, Hart, 1 of the bigs, and the kid from Milwaukee to go with the six frosh.
Hold 1 scholly for a surprise addition like Mitchell.
Johnell Davis is ranked #1. The 6'4 guard shooting guard from FAU. Averaged 18.2 / 6.3 reb. Very strong, inside and out, 3 level scorer.

Tucker DeVries #2 - Drake. No need to list him, he followed dad (coach at Drake) to WVU.

Zeke Mayo #3 - SD State guard, signed with Kansas, he is from Lawrence so no surprise there.

AJ Storr #4 - Wisconsin. A lot like Davis, little bigger at 6'6, is a wing. Multi level scorer, UK in the mix supposedly. Could really use his size, scoring, and strength.

Vladislav Goldin #5 - FAU - 7'1 big, averaged 16/7 with 1.6 blocks per game. He like Davis is leaving FAU after Dusty May left for Michigan. He is ok, little slow and not much other than blocking a couple shots on the defensive end. He stayed in foul trouble at FAU. Meh, I would much rather have Omoruyi, currently ranked #6.

Nobody is talking about Jevon Porter, 6'11 PF from Pepperdine. he is the younger brother of Denver Nugget star Michael Porter. He can ball, 16/6 per game, not much of a shooter (32.5% 3FG), But he is still young, and has star written all over him. Would love to get him (not reached out yet and may not), ranked #7.

There are obviously some other studs available, it early. Plenty of talent out there.

Reactions: G-PIP
Not really shocked, but very few people are talking about Karter Knox. He looked very solid. ONLY played 12 minutes, and had 9 points, shot the ball real well (hit his only 3 taken). He played under control and did not try to do too much. He has a college ready body and has been working extremely hard on both his game and body. He is a lot more than just a straight line driver now. He has developed a 3 point shot, mid game, and pull up. He plays very physical. I think too many of you are looking at Karter thru Kevin. I have said it multiple times, he will be / is BETTER than Kevin Knox. Last night he was 4-6 from the field (1-1 from
I thought he looked decent in his limited minutes and wondered why he didn't play a little more.
He reminded me of Chris Livingston a little bit ...

Problem is we got to many players already to convince a portal kid to come here
We need last years players to either announce staying or going
No movement at all

I know the big thing with JQ is him staying here 2 years but he’s never going to play that 2nd year at UK because this SHOULD be Kal’s last year at UK.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT