ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Powell (Oldham Co) 1st 11 pts for AU

Would not see the floor because Cal wants long and athletic not shooters who will stay a few years.
Actually, they want to leave even if they KNOW they won't get drafted or because they KNOW they won't ever "see the floor".

The announcers were saying tonight that UK fans were going to be screaming why he is not a CAT because his skill set would help us..😤😤😤👎🏾👎🏾🤔
I am not screaming but would like to know why not?
Powell can shoot the ball from the outside. Seems like the team could have used that.
He is also playing some point guard.

I am not screaming but would like to know why not?
Powell can shoot the ball from the outside. Seems like the team could have used that.
He is also playing some point guard.
Mostly played point...one of my best friends went to see him play several times last year and told me Cal was missing the boat on him and the kid that went to WKU.
JP is a bigger version of Macy. Just knows how to play the game!

Last edited:
Pearl is about to Chris Lofton us again. Except this kid is more dangerous than Lofton because he’s more dynamic.

Meanwhile Cal is about to tubby us again.
Powell is much more talented than Lofton was. Lofton was a great shooter, but that was it. Powell has more athletic talent than Lofton, can handle the ball and pass it better than Lofton, and Powell can shoot the ball too. Let me add not only can he shoot the ball, he can also make shots. We have plenty of guys on this team that can shoot the ball, but unlike Powell, our guys can't make those shots.

No way Cal plays this guy over one of his 5 stars. Getting a bunch of 5 stars helps us have good years and provides job security for Cal. Would just like to know why we can't take the top 2 or 3 four or five stars every year and build the rest of the team with players like Powell?

Reactions: Mr.Morris
So now we’re going to sob over every KY kid that made a basket outside KY.
Auburn fan here. Reading these Powell threads now and back when he committed. From an outsider's perspective, I think it's that there was a large fan base that KNEW this was a mistake when he committed to Auburn. When generic fans know that the talent doesn't match the star ranking, then a multi million dollar coach should be able to do the same. Now we're here today, I'm watching Powell shoot lights out for my team, and the fans who knew he was going to be the player he is are pissed that Cal never even bothered.

Edit: Our Auburn mods that wrote the initial articles described it as a HUGE pickup. Of the other players that committed in this class (very high 4*s and 5*), they never used that language even though he was the lowest star ranking we got. It was obvious that the 3* ranking was wrong and everyone could see it

Auburn fan here. Reading these Powell threads now and back when he committed. From an outsider's perspective, I think it's that there was a large fan base that KNEW this was a mistake when he committed to Auburn. When generic fans know that the talent doesn't match the star ranking, then a multi million dollar coach should be able to do the same. Now we're here today, I'm watching Powell shoot lights out for my team, and the fans who knew he was going to be the player he is are pissed that Cal never even bothered.

Edit: Our Auburn mods that wrote the initial articles described it as a HUGE pickup. Of the other players that committed in this class (very high 4*s and 5*), they never used that language even though he was the lowest star ranking we got. It was obvious that the 3* ranking was wrong and everyone could see it

This kids and a few others are good examples of those types of players that would not be content to ride the bench for a year or two behind more talented transients. As many of us have stated, you can point to kids like this as recruiting faux pas, but that is flawed logic as hindsight is fools gold.

I will tell u how. Cal does not run anything that will free up shooters. No picks, no motion, nothing. His offense is beat your guy off the dribble and score. Only problem is most of our opponents are quicker than we are and know how to guard our predictable stand around offense. We can’t beat anybody off the dribble. It’s really pathetic and Cal should be ashamed.
Nothing was ran for Herro either. He created his shots most of the time.

The man doesn’t make enough in my opinion to put up with spoiled entitled cry babies. Good luck with the next coach.
Another very weird post in the same thread. You do realize Cal is the highest paid coach in the country? Do you care to further explain this? What in your opinion is so crazy, outside of some fans wanting him fired?

Cal would have jerked him out of EKU game just like Baker, Juzang when he gave up an open 3 while other guys are throwing passes up into the rafters. It is a flaw and we can BS all we want. Hoops Weiss said yesterday needed some Ky players on roster to balance the roster. Cal is not recruiting the best of the best anymore, he is not eating at front of line anymore, he should maybe take a kid from backyard.

The pace of play and UK system sucks, it is terrible to watch. I hate UNC with a passion but UNC always has good offense. Gonzaga good offense. Cal is too buys barking and micro managing every possession. We got guys scared to advance the ball on rim on a 2 on 1 break, ooh the pass was a little in front. John Wall or B. Knight would have tagged that dude and went and scored or got fouled. Just so passive, can't play in half court, look at 09-10-15, 14, etc..

This kids and a few others are good examples of those types of players that would not be content to ride the bench for a year or two behind more talented transients. As many of us have stated, you can point to kids like this as recruiting faux pas, but that is flawed logic as hindsight is fools gold.
More talented is a matter of opinion. I think Powell seems to have more than sufficient talent. He can put the damned ball in the basket, which the last time I checked is still the object of the game.

More talented is a matter of opinion. I think Powell seems to have more than sufficient talent. He can put the damned ball in the basket, which the last time I checked is still the object of the game.
Or Stopping the other guy from doing it.

My point is you know factually he was going to do this in high school? Right? If not, the discussion is moot because that’s where recruiting takes place.

Or Stopping the other guy from doing it.

My point is you know factually he was going to do this in high school? Right? If not, the discussion is moot because that’s where recruiting takes place.
No one ever knows how any recruit will perform in college, so what’s your point. Everyone knew Powell was a highly skilled player, but because he doesn’t have a 35 inch vertical with a monster wingspan we stay away. Skill is every bit as important as athleticism in the college game, probably more important. Also, it isn’t exactly like this kid is a poor athlete. He’s not.

No one ever knows how any recruit will perform in college, so what’s your point. Everyone knew Powell was a highly skilled player, but because he doesn’t have a 35 inch vertical with a monster wingspan we stay away. Skill is every bit as important as athleticism in the college game, probably more important. Also, it isn’t exactly like this kid is a poor athlete. He’s not.

Why would a kid like that come to Kentucky when they know it rains 5 stars here. My point is that’s a damn tough call to make. It’s simple minded to point to kids like this in college and scream see, SEE!!! If you can’t identify them in high school and make promises, they are going to come when everything around them turns to 5 stars.

In addition, being a successful player at this level also depends on what’s between your ears and what’s in your chest. A high basketball I.Q. and a lot of heart will go a long way. It’s not just about how high you can jump or how fast you can run. If it was, every track star would be making millions in the NBA.

Nothing was ran for Herro either. He created his shots most of the time.
Spot on!! He again is a really bad x/o coach and he’s being exposed because a few of his 5 stars are not what he thought simple imo

Why would a kid like that come to Kentucky when they know it rains 5 stars here. My point is that’s a damn tough call to make. It’s simple minded to point to kids like this in college and scream see, SEE!!! If you can’t identify them in high school and make promises, they are going to come when everything around them turns to 5 stars.
First you’ve got to actually recruit them. We didn’t. Second, as we’ve seen, the number of stars doesn’t necessarily mean anything. Two of our best players the last three years were 4 stars. They weren’t afraid of the competition. I’ll bet this guy wasn’t either, but sadly we’ll never know.

First you’ve got to actually recruit them. We didn’t. Second, as we’ve seen, the number of stars doesn’t necessarily mean anything. Two of our best players the last three years were 4=stars. They weren’t afraid if the competition. I’ll bet this guy wasn’t either, but sadly we’ll never know.

Recruit which ones? I expect Cal would take all the SGA’s and Herro‘s he can find. Problem is they arent labeled very well and there is a lot of false advertising. My point here is to put us in the shoes of the recruiting coach. It’s like picking the right door for the new car except there’s 30 doors and 1 new car a year.

Recruit which ones? I expect Cal would take all the SGA’s and Herro‘s he can find. Problem is they arent labeled very well and there is a lot of false advertising. My point here is to put us in the shoes of the recruiting coach. It’s like picking the right door for the new car except there’s 30 doors and 1 new car a year.
It’s easier when a very good prospect is in your own backyard, but you never give him a serious look. I’m strictly talking about Powell in this thread, but it can be done everywhere. SGA and Herro are perfect examples of it. No one expected them to do what they did. In fact, both were criticized on this very board. Many said they’d never play much of a role here. But to the staff’s credit, they identified these two and the rest is history. Why not Powell? He was right here. As I said earlier, it’s OK to miss, but we didn’t even swing in this case. Big mistake that didn’t have to be.

It’s easier when a very good prospect is in your own backyard, but you never give him a serious look. I’m strictly talking about Powell in this thread, but it can be done everywhere. SGA and Herro are perfect examples of it. No one expected them to do what they did. In fact, both were criticized on this very board. Many said they’d never play much of a role here. But to the staff’s credit, they identified these two and the rest is history. Why not Powell? He was right here. As I said earlier, it’s OK to miss, but we didn’t even swing in this case. Big mistake that didn’t have to be.

I think this point can only be made in hindsight. Who is next years Powell? And the next SGA? Where was the massive outcry when Powell was still in high school? I agree its a cool concept but damn near impossible to do in reality and reliably.

That was more response that you deserved. I’ve seen no evidence that you comprehend the subject matter.
Well, first off the response was to someone else and not me. You spew so much crap that you can’t even keep up with who you directed it to. You’re just a miserable POS. I’m done even attempting to have a rational exchange with you. You are clueless and don’t even realize it. Just go piss up a rope. Respond all you like, but don’t expect another from me.

Keep posting stuff like this. Leave no room for doubt when it comes showing what kind of person you are. Keep jumping from thread to thread hurling insults and making a fool of yourself.

OK, Mr. Basketball Supa Genius. Who is going to be the unheralded super star like SGA, Herro or Powell over the next three years? That’s the question you are demanding that Cal answers.

Crickets or smart ass remarks. That’s all you got.

Well, first off the response was to someone else and not me. You spew so much crap that you can’t even keep up with who you directed it to. You’re just a miserable POS. I’m done even attempting to have a rational exchange with you. You are clueless and don’t even realize it. Just go piss up a rope. Respond all you like, but don’t expect another from me.

Yeah. That’s what happens when people get backed into a corner. Sling crap at the wall and run.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT