ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Edwards

Edwards will be alright. He played hard. Didn't seem to want to be a college kid.. Seemed like a good teammate as well

Heck, now he will have some good coaching and a chance to develop his skills.. I think his ceiling raised after he left the UK coaching staff.

He's got tools. If his drive matches his tools he will surface again in the league.

Reactions: Wonky
Yes…he can return to college. Highly doubt that’s even a thought but he could.
Yes, an undrafted player definitely can return to college but I'm betting Pope isn't interested in Edwards. Not sure Edwards is interested in UK or college either. We'll see what he decides soon.

Yes, an undrafted player definitely can return to college but I'm betting Pope isn't interested in Edwards. Not sure Edwards is interested in UK or college either. We'll see what he decides soon.
Show us the rules on that. If that’s the case why didn’t guys like Jaxson Robinson just roll the dice and see if someone would take a flyer on him? Why is there a deadline to withdraw?

Edward’s will probably sign a free agent deal and start his career in the D League.

Reactions: UK90
Someday Justin Edwards will be able to say to his kids: “I started before two top-ten NBA draft picks who became all-stars.”

And his grandkids will whisper to each other, “damn, granddad is a terrible liar. If that’s true why did he work for the Dollar Store?”
He will play overseas and make a decent living.

I have no issues with Edwards. Seems like a good kid who just didn't have a good year and got in his head.

If you can't get drafted in this draft... writing is kinda on the wall as far as your future prospects go. Amazing how hard all the recruiting heads missed on that kid.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
How does Cal need another starting guard?

DJ Wagner, Boogie Fland, Johnell Davis, Billy Richmond, Karter Knox, and apparently he has promised Thiero that he can and will play the SF spot some.

That's 6 dudes already for 3 spots, how would they need a 7th?
A commitment is a commitment. Cal always keeps his commitments to certain players.

Cal owes Justin Edwards. Cal can find a spot and 20 minutes a game for him if he wants to.

Pretty sure your college eligibility ends if you don’t withdraw from the draft at the deadline. Unless your “fax” didn’t go through.
All kinds of articles on it, including this one. Here is the part that addresses it:

Now, here's another aspect that has changed. Players can go all the way through the NBA draft process. This means they can participate in draft day and if they aren't taken by a team in the draft, they are able to return to college. Of course, this is for early entrants that still have college eligibility left.

Article with draft rules

EDIT - all of these articles are wrong as @lovebasketball pointed out

Last edited:
Reactions: FitchandMurray29
Show us the rules on that. If that’s the case why didn’t guys like Jaxson Robinson just roll the dice and see if someone would take a flyer on him? Why is there a deadline to withdraw?

Edward’s will probably sign a free agent deal and start his career in the D League.
Read down through this to get to rules regarding undrafted players.

Reactions: UKrazycat2
All kinds of articles on it, including this one. Here is the part that addresses it:

Now, here's another aspect that has changed. Players can go all the way through the NBA draft process. This means they can participate in draft day and if they aren't taken by a team in the draft, they are able to return to college. Of course, this is for early entrants that still have college eligibility left.

Article with draft rules
That rule change had the caveat - Will apply in the event that the NBA and NBPA amend their collective bargaining agreement to specify that an undrafted student-athlete who returns to college loses his NBA eligibility until the conclusion of the next men’s basketball season.

The NBA and NBPA did not change the CBA, so the rule did not go in effect.

Reactions: UK90
That rule change had the caveat - Will apply in the event that the NBA and NBPA amend their collective bargaining agreement to specify that an undrafted student-athlete who returns to college loses his NBA eligibility until the conclusion of the next men’s basketball season.

The NBA and NBPA did not change the CBA, so the rule did not go in effect.

That link you provide is rules from 2018-19 it looks like. Everything I see from 2023-24 says otherwise, including this article posted today:

June 27 Article

I guess all of these articles could be wrong and the info from 5 and 6 years ago could be right?

EDIT - digging more and it looks like the recent articles are not correct. Good info. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
That link you provide is rules from 2018-19 it looks like. Everything I see from 2023-24 says otherwise, including this article posted today:

June 27 Article

I guess all of these articles could be wrong and the info from 5 and 6 years ago could be right?
They are wrong and mine is from the NCAA database. That is the last time the rule has been updated. The NCAA database is searchable and they would not need a withdrawal date to return to college if it was in effect. Not that hard to understand.

Give me one example that a player has done this and you will come up empty. We would have hundreds of examples if the rule was in effect. No downside for the player.

They are wrong and mine is from the NCAA database. That is the last time the rule has been updated. The NCAA database is searchable and they would not need a withdrawal date to return to college if it was in effect. Not that hard to understand.

Give me one example that a player has done this and you will come up empty. We would have hundreds of examples if the rule was in effect. No downside for the player.
I edited my post to agree with you. Ton’s of articles with the wrong info.

Last edited:
I saw almost zero growth from Edwards over the course of the season. Had unlimited leash, unlimited opportunity. I'm looking at these other guys, that are largely unheard of and unseen. But they all look and move like athletes. I don't think Edwards took advantage of the facilities and opportunities Kentucky had to offer in terms of physical conditioning. I think that's ultimately what cost him the most. I think GMs saw a kid that doesn't take basketball seriously as a profession.
I agree with your take on Justin. When I watched him, I saw a somewhat lazy player. He definitely didn't take advantage of the facilities, especially the strength and conditioning department. He looked out of shape.

You have a link that explains his pathway back to a college roster?
I’ve edited a few of my posts since this one. A lot of misinformation out there and a lot of articles out there saying that was the rule. Apparently, it got voted on as a new rule but then was not in the newest deal between the NBA and players association.

I agree with your take on Justin. When I watched him, I saw a somewhat lazy player. He definitely didn't take advantage of the facilities, especially the strength and conditioning department. He looked out of shape.
I don't think he was lazy. I saw a kid who lacked confidence and basketball IQ. It's hard to go 100% if you don't know where you're going and second guessing.

Have you not been paying attention ? He signed a 2 way contract with The 76ERS. he will not be back to college.

Also, there was several good player who did not get drafted. Armando Bacot from UNC, DJ Burns, NC State, Trey Alexander from Creighton, Boogie Ellis, USC, Max Abmas, Texas.

I like Edwards, but he just didn't pan out in the one year he was here. He might have thrived under Pope, but it doesn't seem he was overly self-motivated to improve and develop....and we all know that Cal doesn't do anything to develop the players either, so he just never really got any better.

I only knew like 6 or 7 if the players drafted in the second round. A lot of foreign stash guys.
Really ? You must not watch a lot of college basketball. Below are the more notable players drafted in the 2nd round :

Triston Newton - UCONN
Cam Spencer - UCONN
Kevin McCullar - Kansas
Antonio Reeves - UK
Oso Ighodaro - Marquette
Tyler Kolek - Marquette
Kyle Flipowski - Duke
Johnny Furphy - Kansas
Harrison Ingram - UNC
Jamal Snead - Houston
Cam Christie - Minnesota
Pelle Larson - Arizona
Adam Bona - UCLA
Jaylon Wells - Washington State
Tyler Smith - G-League
KJ Simpson - Colorado

That is 16 of the 28 2nd round picks that MOST college fans will know. the other 4 college players drafted :

Jonathan Mogbo - San Francisco (31st, 1st pick of the 2nd round)
Ajay Mitchell - UC Santa Barbara (#38)
Enrique Freeman - Akron (#50)
Quinten Post - Boston College (#52)

Only 6 players who did not play college basketball got drafted in the second round.
Juan Nunez - Spain (#36, Also a A grade)
Bobi Klintman - Sweden (#37)
Nikola Djurisic - Serbia (#43, got a A grade for the pick)
Melvin Ajinca - France (#51)
Ulrich Chomche - Cameroon (next to last pick #57)
Ariel Hukporti - Germany (last pick #58)

Have you not been paying attention ? He signed a 2 way contract with The 76ERS. he will not be back to college.

Also, there was several good player who did not get drafted. Armando Bacot from UNC, DJ Burns, NC State, Trey Alexander from Creighton, Boogie Ellis, USC, Max Abmas, Texas.
I've been paying attention. He hadn't signed any contract with the sixers when I had made my post. Pay more attention yourself before jumping on people.

Reactions: Ky-troutbum
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT