ADVERTISEMENT

Just turned on the Gonzaga vs. Washington game…

Don't wanna toot my own horn but some of us called him out for not being the answer early on and got crucified. I think it's a lesson neither side is as smart as they think they are on the Cal debate.
nicksplat GIF

Wheeler WAS doing pretty well for us when Grady and Ty were healthy. That was the plan for him. An undersized guard who still had talent COULD work if you had an offensive minded SG and wing to work with. But once those two got injured it REALLY showed Wheeler's deficiencies.

Last edited:
In other news, watching the game it looked to me like Brooks has improved. He seems to be a solid contributor. Wheeler looked the same as when he played here.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Tubby never had a losing season with Saul or made a NIT or missed a Tournament. Can Cal say that about his burger boys?
That's on Cal though and has nothing whatsoever to do with what I said.

Brooks and Wheeler did lead their team to a win over Gonzaga. Cal can't seem to manage that.

Stats dont tell the whole story. He was 5'7 in shoes and couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. So-so defender too.
He wasn't a so so defender. He couldn’t guard period.

Cal should never have brought him here. Much less played him here.
Saul would've been a good bench piece...trouble was Tubby insisted in starting him and gave him the same leash that cal gives his 5 star

Tubby never had a losing season with Saul or made a NIT or missed a Tournament. Can Cal say that about his burger boys?
Tubby inherited a championship team then went steadily downhill from there.

After the gifted title Tubby never beat a team seeded higher than a 6 the rest of his career.

That's on Cal though and has nothing whatsoever to do with what I said.

Brooks and Wheeler did lead their team to a win over Gonzaga. Cal can't seem to manage that.
The point I was trying to make is so many on here think Cal is far superior than Tubby. They called Tubby 10 loss Tubby and ran him off because of it. What is Cal, 10 loss Cal? Tubby did more with less than Cal ever has. Tubby is twice the Coach Cal is. Would I have rather had someone else other than Tubby? Yes! Would I trade Tubby for Cal? NO!. Tubby did love UK and its tradition, Cal on the other hand could care less.

Wheeler averaging almost 3.5 turnovers a game and shooting like 24% from 3. At 5’7

Maybe the most baffling decision of the Cal era was taking on Wheeler. I’ll never understand it.
Askew really screwed us, our inability with shitty assistants to get decent guards really hurt us. Look at Sky Clarke. Decent but not a winner or top notch guard.

In other news, watching the game it looked to me like Brooks has improved. He seems to be a solid contributor. Wheeler looked the same as when he played here.
Brooks was always a decent piece of a good team, we just needed him to be a legit go to scorer outside of Oscar and he wasn’t consistent enough after our guards got hurt.

Brooks and Wheeler lead that team in scoring. Im shocked they only have 3 losses so far.

Gonzaga obviously isn't any good if they lost to them either.

The point I was trying to make is so many on here think Cal is far superior than Tubby. They called Tubby 10 loss Tubby and ran him off because of it. What is Cal, 10 loss Cal? Tubby did more with less than Cal ever has. Tubby is twice the Coach Cal is. Would I have rather had someone else other than Tubby? Yes! Would I trade Tubby for Cal? NO!. Tubby did love UK and its tradition, Cal on the other hand could care less.
We agree on that.

People who say negative things about Tubby need to go back and look at his actual record.

I hope they lose every game from here on out.

One is a BLM supporter who kneeled before a game and bad mouthed Rupp. The other quit on his team half way through the year because he got his feelings hurt, lied about an injury to cover his butt and then refused to show up for Senior Day.

I am ashamed that either one is associated with UK basketball.
"One is a BLM supporter"
As are the majority of players in a sport made up of primarily young black men, I would imagine.

Do you honestly believe that if you asked the current players on our team their opinion on "Black Lives Matter" they would respond in the negative?
Most people literally just agree with the message and don't see it as some nefarious entity like news networks/political pundits portray it as.

Wheeler is a guy who needs to be surrounded by shooters to be successful.

Just my opinion.

Ty Ty ran point one game and set the single game assist record. Wheeler should have been a reserve off of the bench period.

Wheeler could have been fine as a 15 minute a game change of pace. Never was going to be a UK caliber starting pg. Never understood how Cal kept putting the ball in his hands in crunch time. Did it ever work? Just made such little sense, Cal usually wants to find his best iso guy and give him the ball and let him cook.

Tubby issue is he never made it back to Final Four after 98. He was fine otherwise overall here.

Final fours matter though or at least it did when Tubby wasn't doing it.
Tubby's issue was that he couldn't let go. If had unleashed Rondo at the end of that Michigan State game he would have gone to a final four, but he wouldn't.

He had to be in control at all times with zero pushback from players. Unfortunately as we see today, the players vs coach relationship changed and he wasn't willing to bend.

Tubby's issue was that he couldn't let go. If had unleashed Rondo at the end of that Michigan State game he would have gone to a final four, but he wouldn't.

He had to be in control at all times with zero pushback from players. Unfortunately as we see today, the players vs coach relationship changed and he wasn't willing to bend.
I’ll be honest. I think Tubby let Hobbs have too much control over the team in the latter years . I got to sit in some seats right behind the bench back then and I swear , lots of times it seemed like Hobbs was the one doing the coaching.

I took up for that kid. I liked his game for a good while. Then it became evident he couldn’t overcome any adversity. Once the pouting started I was done. I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt on his injury but that’s egg on my face now. It’s one case where the legion of doom ended up being correct
Well, you're a contrarian troll. When you always take that stance on things it's going to bite you in the ass, from time to time.

Ty Ty ran point one game and set the single game assist record. Wheeler should have been a reserve off of the bench period.
That team would have had a shot at the Final Four and maybe the title, if Cal manages the roster correctly.

PG Washington
SG Mintz
SF Grady
PF Brooks
C Tshiebwe

That should have been the main lineup. Wheeler should have been a backup on that team. Would have been a good change of pace PG to stick in there for short spurts.

Wheeler is a guy who needs to be surrounded by shooters to be successful.

Just my opinion.

Ironically that’s the opposite of what Washington is doing. Mulcahy is their only shooter. Brooks is playing the 3/4 with Moses Wood, whose the same size as Brooks.

This board is filled with the angriest people I've ever seen. Still holding grudges and hating on two guys who transferred out. Who the hell cares at this point? Good lord. They did nothing to you personally and you're still actively rooting against them to lose games in games that have zero bearing on UK basketball. Live and let live for god's sake.

I thought it was cool to see them beat the Zags and hopefully they have a good season at Washington.

Reactions: know1 and bbncal02
Wheeler WAS doing pretty well for us when Grady and Ty were healthy. That was the plan for him. An undersized guard who still had talent COULD work if you had an offensive minded SG and wing to work with. But once those two got injured it REALLY showed Wheeler's deficiencies.

That was on offense. He was never an adequate defender though. He wasn’t the only issue on defense the last two years but he was a big one.

Hence why we went after the SEC ASSIST leader. His job was to facilitate and stir. And what a lot of people on this board love to forget is he single handedly won some games for us.

And if it weren't for Keion Brooks having the game of his life, we probably have yet another L from KU.

I lost a lot of respect for Wheeler for that BS at the end of his tenure though. However, I can still acknowledge he did some good for us as well.

That team would have had a shot at the Final Four and maybe the title, if Cal manages the roster correctly.

PG Washington
SG Mintz
SF Grady
PF Brooks
C Tshiebwe

That should have been the main lineup. Wheeler should have been a backup on that team. Would have been a good change of pace PG to stick in there for short spurts.

I think injuries had a bigger impact on that team that people talk about because Grady and TyTy both played down the stretch. Neither were really that close to 100% though. Grady going cold, which was probably related to plantar, really hurt us. If he’s healthy we win that St. peter’s game easy but he couldn’t get open anymore.

Cal also mismanaged the roster though. Even when Grady was healthy he was under utilized. He was capable of a lot more than being a catch and shoot guy. But we never really used him as any more than that except when ty ty and wheeler both sat and we had to and he looked good as the lead guard.

This board is filled with the angriest people I've ever seen. Still holding grudges and hating on two guys who transferred out. Who the hell cares at this point? Good lord. They did nothing to you personally and you're still actively rooting against them to lose games in games that have zero bearing on UK basketball. Live and let live for god's sake.

I thought it was cool to see them beat the Zags and hopefully they have a good season at Washington.
Don't you know? Keion Brooks had an opinion (albeit it a bad one) and instead of educating, people would rather crucify him.

As for Wheeler, he left on bad terms. But sadly people can't be objective and realize he did some good for us.

I think injuries had a bigger impact on that team that people talk about because Grady and TyTy both played down the stretch. Neither were really that close to 100% though. Grady going cold, which was probably related to plantar, really hurt us. If he’s healthy we win that St. peter’s game easy but he couldn’t get open anymore.

Cal also mismanaged the roster though. Even when Grady was healthy he was under utilized. He was capable of a lot more than being a catch and shoot guy. But we never really used him as any more than that except when ty ty and wheeler both sat and we had to and he looked good as the lead guard.
Double Plantar. He was basically playing on two bum feet. The pain before and after games had to be unbearable. And it probably didn't feel greet during the games. All the while we had a perfectly viable player on the bench that was too damn selfish to play.

Don't you know? Keion Brooks had an opinion (albeit it a bad one) and instead of educating, people would rather crucify him.

As for Wheeler, he left on bad terms. But sadly people can't be objective and realize he did some good for us.
And at the end of the day they are both college kids. God forbid we judge people on opinions they had or things they did in college. I'm guessing most people here can shake their heads at stupid things they did in college and be very thankful they weren't a public figure at the time.

Double Plantar. He was basically playing on two bum feet. The pain before and after games had to be unbearable. And it probably didn't feel greet during the games. All the while we had a perfectly viable player on the bench that was too damn selfish to play.
Injuries played a bigger role with that team than people thing. TyTy never really seemed to fully recover after he missed time and like you said, Grady was basically handicapped by the end of the season. The KU game showed that the team was absolutely rolling, the wheels just fell off at the end. Mostly from a health standpoint if you ask me.

There is a LOT of truth in that statement, but I tend to believe in Wagner much more than I did in Wheeler. John Wall put up a lot of crazy looking shots and they went in, often. Brandon Knight was the same way. There have been numerous players I trusted to put up the crazy shots because they would go in. I never believed in Wheeler, unless he was playing a clearly inferior opponent. I think Wagner has a chance of being one of those other guys I mentioned.
Wagner has a foot of height on wheeler so no please.

Btw wheeler wasn’t the guy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT