ADVERTISEMENT

Juli fulks loses first game in two years

jeffky

Sophomore
Sep 22, 2017
Thought I let the board know transy got beat last night by #1 team from New York who was also undefeated

If you’re just going to make bland hires and not even try to build a great women’s program, hire the hot chick from Grand Canyon or give this hometown winner a crack at it.

I’ll never understand the type of thinking that makes you revert back to Matthew Mitchell, hiring Elzy, or whatever the hell Mitch will think up next.

Either play to win big or hire someone like this and see what happens. But hiring people that you can clearly see aren’t going to move the needle and can only create a stagnant / poor program I don’t get it.

Well there goes Juli’s chance at UK…can’t have a coach that can’t win at DIII level! Lol

Just kidding! I do think DIII to SEC DI is a big jump.

• Haha
Reactions: Fox2monk
Well there goes Juli’s chance at UK…can’t have a coach that can’t win at DIII level! Lol

Just kidding! I do think DIII to SEC DI is a big jump.
I don’t completely get that argument. I guess recruiting is different but most coaches start out in high school coaching or as an assistant. Basketball is basketball. Just more talent to deal with in D1

I don’t completely get that argument. I guess recruiting is different but most coaches start out in high school coaching or as an assistant. Basketball is basketball. Just more talent and drama to deal with in D1
I fixed for you and I may be wrong wrong but I would guess most kids at the NAIA level are happy to be getting their education paid for and probably aren't used to being sought after like top level D1 kids are.

The Sacred Heart Coach is getting ready to win 4 state titles in a row, hire her if she guarantees she will bring her star player with her, they would at least be good for a couple of years.

There are two Juniors in KY right now that would instantly turn the program around in two years if UK would hire the right coach.

Reactions: westerncat
If you’re just going to make bland hires and not even try to build a great women’s program, hire the hot chick from Grand Canyon or give this hometown winner a crack at it.

I’ll never understand the type of thinking that makes you revert back to Matthew Mitchell, hiring Elzy, or whatever the hell Mitch will think up next.

Either play to win big or hire someone like this and see what happens. But hiring people that you can clearly see aren’t going to move the needle and can only create a stagnant / poor program I don’t get it.
Kim Caldwell of Marshal is the answer. @jeffky knows I've been pushing her a little bit lately.

1. Spent 7 years in DII at Glenville State. Went 68-4 with a National Championship and Final Four in her last 2 years there.
2. Took over at Marshall prior to this season. They were 17-14/9-9 last year under the previous coach. They are 26-6/17-1 this year and just won the Sun Belt tournament, leading them to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 1997.
3. She plays a very exciting brand of basketball, averaging 86.4ppg this year (3rd most in the country) after averaging 63.7ppg last year.

The type of coach is very similar to Fulks, but the gamble is less as she has already shown she can coach and win at the DI level. She is going to be a star.

Molly Miller at GCU that people keep talking about came from D2, before GCU hired her
Any AD that uses the excuse she is only DIII, when she clearly has shown the ability to coach, is more focused on "built-in" excuses to defend a rejection of the hire ... more of a political decision to protect himself. Any coach who can "coach" is gold. Recruiting will take care of itself ... IMO.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Kim Caldwell of Marshal is the answer. @jeffky knows I've been pushing her a little bit lately.

1. Spent 7 years in DII at Glenville State. Went 68-4 with a National Championship and Final Four in her last 2 years there.
2. Took over at Marshall prior to this season. They were 17-14/9-9 last year under the previous coach. They are 26-6/17-1 this year and just won the Sun Belt tournament, leading them to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 1997.
3. She plays a very exciting brand of basketball, averaging 86.4ppg this year (3rd most in the country) after averaging 63.7ppg last year.

The type of coach is very similar to Fulks, but the gamble is less as she has already shown she can coach and win at the DI level. She is going to be a star.
She is very impressive also

Reactions: sluggercatfan
I fixed for you and I may be wrong wrong but I would guess most kids at the NAIA level are happy to be getting their education paid for and probably aren't used to being sought after like top level D1 kids are.
I'm not sure if you are speaking in general or specifically about Transy, but I want to clear up what division of college athletics Transy competes in. Transy is not NAIA. They compete in NCAA division III. Division III does not give athletic scholarships, so those players aren't going to school for free unless they were intelligent enough to get a full academic scholarship.

Reactions: coachcombs57

She sounds like someone we should definitely be looking at. I don't know what happens a lot of times outside of men's basketball and football, but does the fact that she has only been there one year make it unlikely she would take another job? I know a lot of times the assumption is a coach won't leave after only being at a school for one season.

I'm not sure if you are speaking in general or specifically about Transy, but I want to clear up what division of college athletics Transy competes in. Transy is not NAIA. They compete in NCAA division III. Division III does not give athletic scholarships, so those players aren't going to school for free unless they were intelligent enough to get a full academic scholarship.
I was talking in general for non Power 5 D1 schools and not necessarily Transy.

She sounds like someone we should definitely be looking at. I don't know what happens a lot of times outside of men's basketball and football, but does the fact that she has only been there one year make it unlikely she would take another job? I know a lot of times the assumption is a coach won't leave after only being at a school for one season.
It would be a huge bump in salary...probably 3 or 4 times what she is making now. I actually just saw this 3 page thread on a Marshall message board about her and the UK job opening. I would imagine she would give it bigtime consideration.

https://www.herdfans.com/12thman/index.php?topic=117954.50

hire the hot chick from Grand Canyon
Why do you have to be sexist?? Is it a pre-requisite that the head coach of a Basketball program be HOT?

What the actual ****??

Women aren't objects...Men suck and I am one. I have too much respect for people to objectify them.

Grow the **** up and learn some damn respect!

How would you like for someone to talk about your mother, sister or daughters like that??

Why do you have to be sexist?? Is it a pre-requisite that the head coach of a Basketball program be HOT?

What the actual ****??

Women aren't objects...Men suck and I am one. I have too much respect for people to objectify them.

How would you like for someone to talk about your mother, sister or daughters like that??
Never go full Karen.
She's pretty.
Men like Pretty women.
Take a deep breath.

She looks so impressive Mitch just decided to go in another direction.

Reactions: Cantblockme
I just hope Mitch thinks this out and just don’t jump on it like he did Elzy. I understand the circumstances were a little different when he hired her but he could’ve let her have the interim tag the whole season and then looked for a seasoned coach after that season was over. With the transfer portal the way it is the new coach can put together a competitive team the first year until she gets in and can start recruiting. Heck she could possibly bring some players with her pending on where she’s coming from.

Reactions: Jeff2Reed

What the actual ****??

Damn you’re heroic as hell. I never thought about it like that. I really, really appreciate what you’re bringing my way here. Everybody needs a good kick in the pants and you did it.

Reactions: BelfryKYCatFanatic
I like Molly Kim and juli that's my trifecta okay with any 3 be a good change for the program no Walz or mitchell

Precisely. If you can coach, you can coach..period.
True but at the D3 level other things are in play. As stated most kids at D3 are there for the education. And Transy actually has an advantage. They are a high level academic institution that a lot of kids would like to attend. Now throw in that athletes there likely get more aid than your typical student and it attracts a slightly higher level caliber of D3 athlete. So Fulks is actually playing with a better team than most. No I understand she’s a very good HC, but jumping to an SEC level DI program would not be an easy task. Can she do it? Maybe. But is she the best candidate? Probably not.

I’d definitely pursue someone that has D1 experience and has some dealing with NIL.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT