ADVERTISEMENT

Jones Twitter Space call shortly

If we don’t give a new coach time and immediately go bunkers, well, we deserve the karma that will befall us. Hell we gave BCG two years. Drew has to at least get that much time.
Oh look once it's announced I will fall in line. Cheer and hope for the best. I'm just voicing my opinion that I think it's a bad fit. I hope I'm wrong. Would love to be wrong. My dad has had major health issues and we watch most games together. I just want to see him enjoy it again as do I.

Can’t we just give the man a chance? He was down my list as well, but I’m going to pull for him and Kentucky basketball 100%.
There will plenty of time to bitch and moan if things don’t work out.
Exactly, we will field a competitive team . If he can win a title at Baylor he can win here. I remember back in 2020-2021 everyone was like wow he plays a modern style, I’d love that here.

Oh look once it's announced I will fall in line. Cheer and hope for the best. I'm just voicing my opinion that I think it's a bad fit. I hope I'm wrong. Would love to be wrong. My dad has had major health issues and we watch most games together. I just want to see him enjoy it again as do I.
I get it. I just hope no one expects him to be Cal 2009. Hell Cal can’t even Cal 2009 anymore.

Can’t we just give the man a chance? He was down my list as well, but I’m going to pull for him and Kentucky basketball 100%.
There will plenty of time to bitch and moan if things don’t work out.
I’ll root like hell for him to succeed. But i hate that Barnhart was seemingly left to make this choice on his own and was laser focused on one guy. This was too important a hire to half ass.

Last edited:
Man this complete bullshit. I knew Mitch would totally screw this up.

Oats was the first call but since Bama wouldn’t negotiate to lower the buyout, Mitch ended those talks. Meaning, Mitch wouldn’t pay the $10/18M. That’s inexcusable if he’s your first call.

He’s offered Drew the job and Drew will let them know by tomorrow. Mitch talked to Hurley but he can’t do anything until after the parade Saturday.

So Mitch’s incompetent ass is going to take a coach that isn’t much better than Kal just because he’s friends with him and won’t wait until the weekend to let Hurley decide.

How in the absolute hell to you hire a guy who basically has the same track record of Kal when you haven’t even gotten an answer from the guy whose on the most dominant streak in college basketball in nearly 20 years!?

It’s infuriating and every title Hurley wins at UConn after this year I’ll want to grab Mitch by his damn neck because it should have been us.

Is drew a bad hire though?
About # 4-5 on my list. Hurley was supposed to be #1. Now we find out Oats was called first, Drew was fully offered the job, and Hurley, while interested, has to wait until Drew says yes or no.

I wanted Hurley, Oats. But I don't get to make the call.

I just hope Drew coaches and isn't a flop. I really, really don't want to live in a sports cesspool for another 5 years.

About # 4-5 on my list. Hurley was supposed to be #1. Now we find out Oats was called first, Drew was fully offered the job, and Hurley, while interested, has to wait until Drew says yes or no.

I just hope Drew coaches and isn't a flop. I really, really don't want to live in a sports cesspool for another 5 years.
Oats we should have know Barnhart wasn’t paying that buyout. Hurley is the only coach I can say is significantly better than Drew. All the others have clear issues and clear benefits like Drew does. If Drew wants to be here than we should all welcome him and give him a chance

I wholeheartedly agreed with the guy on the cast whose dad started Wildcat Liquors. Mitch seems to be in too big of a hurry to validate his list. Drew was at the top. A wise CEO would interview all three candidates and then determine the best fit when the job is as big as being the UK head coach. Waiting a week is worth it.

So, as a person of faith myself, I’m going to pray tonight that Coach Drew and his family discern what is best for them in prayer. Maybe that will include not rushing into a decision and also praying for UK and all our fans that the best coach be chosen for who we are too. And if that is Coach Drew, I’m on board. But if it’s not, and Hurley or Donovan are discerned to be a better fit for the program, I trust Coach Drew and his family will discern that too and even communicate it to Mitch.

Perhaps Coach Drew can model something for Mitch Barnhart regarding the spirit of patience and humility for a job as UK’s head coach being bigger not only than the coach, but than the AD too. UK needs it badly.
Well said and completely agree. So many negative comments about Drew’s faith. I wonder if the same would be said if he were of another religion. After the complaints from BBN regarding the former coach’s ego, one would think a little humility would be appreciated.

Not my first pick candidate or even first few, but if it’s Drew I’m content and have reasons for confidence, and will support him fully. Either way it’s a new chapter we all desperately wanted and needed.

Well said and completely agree. So many negative comments about Drew’s faith. I wonder if the same would be said if he were of another religion. After the complaints from BBN regarding the former coach’s ego, one would think a little humility would be appreciated.

Not my first pick candidate or even first few, but if it’s Drew I’m content and have reasons for confidence, and will support him fully. Either way it’s a new chapter we all desperately wanted and needed.
I don't think people care about his faith.It's all the early round losses that concern me.Just like Cal.

Oats was the first call but since Bama wouldn’t negotiate to lower the buyout, Mitch ended those talks. Meaning, Mitch wouldn’t pay the $10/18M. That’s inexcusable if he’s your first call.

He’s offered Drew the job and Drew will let them know by tomorrow. Mitch talked to Hurley but he can’t do anything until after the parade Saturday.

So Mitch’s incompetent ass is going to take a coach that isn’t much better than Kal just because he’s friends with him and won’t wait until the weekend to let Hurley decide.

How in the absolute hell to you hire a guy who basically has the same track record of Kal when you haven’t even gotten an answer from the guy whose on the most dominant streak in college basketball in nearly 20 years!?

It’s infuriating and every title Hurley wins at UConn after this year I’ll want to grab Mitch by his damn neck because it should have been us.
Hurley is a stone cold killer, and exactly what we needed. Drew will be another 3 or 4 years of what we had with Saggy Cal. Minus all the one and done nonsense.

Right back at ya! Half the fanbase at least is where I'm at on this hire. Check the polls on here. Half is probably generous.
Just look at the traffic on the forum. There’s no excitement. And the fact Barney didn’t go after Hurley or oats. Went straight to Drew is massively disrespectful to our tradition. UK always goes after the best not afraid to hear no. This AD needs to go he’s a clown.

Just look at the traffic on the forum. There’s no excitement. And the fact Barney didn’t go after Hurley or oats. Went straight to Drew is massively disrespectful to our tradition. UK always goes after the best not afraid to hear no. This AD needs to go he’s a clown.
Prove he didn’t go after Hurley man. There are several sources that say Hurley was contacted.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Well, i see the presser stuff now. I guess it is Drew. Definitely an upgrade from Cal on the court, but I see this going up in flames. He’s not the right personality or play style for KY.

Quite frankly, I’m not sure the KY program can handle him failing. Let’s hope we get some late transfers.

To be clear I think there is a 5% chance Hurley would accept….he needs us to extract every possible dollar from cash strapped UCONN….but it’s a fireable offense to not give Hurley until Saturday night to make a final decision.

I doubt Hurley was ever serious about coming here tbh. He’s mentioned the three peat several times now. And shockingly, money isn’t everything to some problem. Wild I know.

And his first two years at UConn sucked. I’d like to have him too but he would also need time to get rolling.
And I’d be perfectly fine giving him that time because he’s more than proven he can produce titles. Drew on the other hand feels like Kal who just got lucky once.

Reactions: Wildcatjedi
Looking back, Cal was just great at recruiting, and out-talenting everyone. When the playing field leveled, Cal didn't have two legs to stand on because of the inability to actually coach and teach these guys.
Cal is the best recruiter of all time. And his teams until about 2019 always played extremely hard. That was usually enough even though he could have had 2 or 3 other championships. Then he decided he’d rather be Mother Theresa and his teams lost that edge of playing hard nosed basketball.

Just because we wouldn't hear something about Hurly until after the parade doesn't mean productive talks haven't happened and UK already knows his answer. If Hurly has an number from UK, and won't commit to decided until after then, It's a pretty big risk to turn down Scott Drew in the hopes of Hurly. I think there is a pretty stark drop off after those two. So it's really really risky to not take Drew if you can't get a read on Hurly. Missing on both because you waiting on the longer shot one can be disastrous. I want Hurly over Drew also, but you can't risk not getting one of them.

We can’t run out Drew if he doesn’t go to an Elite Eight (or better) next year. It would be nice, I’d be ecstatic, but next year I’m looking for on the court improvements… Xs and Os, players improving over the season etc.
Exactly….would I be over the moon for a deep run? Absolutely! but I’d be happy with watching a team being built and a coach that has a heart for Kentucky..then at the end of season seeing players returning for another year..while we add a few good ones…signs that point to us being a consistent threat each year…

Weirdly I’m not blown away by Hurley, he has already won 2 championships. How many coaches just keep winning unlimited titles. The guy isn’t John Wooden or Rupp. Eventually people are gonna figure out his system and how big of a jerk he is to his players and it will all balance out. He caught lighting in a bottle for sure but has not done much up until lately. I don’t know why I feel that way but I’d rather beat the guy then have him coach my team.
I would take him as my first choice among the three apparent options, but I'm kind of inclined to agree with you. When you look at his resume before these last two years, it's really unimpressive, frankly. Did he hit on the perfect mix of guys and maximize it? I know there was a lot of turnover between year one and two, but there was a core that existed for both. I will be curious to see how UConn does next year once he really has a fresh group of players. Closer to his previous seasons, or closer to these last two years?

I think 2 seasons is enough time to start getting a picture. That third season is where you make a decision. BCG didn’t get a third because of his off the court issues combined with his on court issues.
Who knows if Drew will do well here by UK standards, assuming he's the guy, but I think the odds of him doing so badly in the first three years to warrant being fired are slim to none. He's well established as a good coach, the question is whether he can be great. And that's partly my fear with him is do we find ourselves in a middling position where we're good enough each season to have hope without ever really getting to the promised land...

Reactions: bbncal02
Facts don't change. When you have zero legit info and have to toss spaghetti on the wall, then backtrack repeatedly, it means you are short on factual info. Matt has been out of the loop the entire time and rattling cages for views.

Just because we wouldn't hear something about Hurly until after the parade doesn't mean productive talks haven't happened and UK already knows his answer. If Hurly has an number from UK, and won't commit to decided until after then, It's a pretty big risk to turn down Scott Drew in the hopes of Hurly. I think there is a pretty stark drop off after those two. So it's really really risky to not take Drew if you can't get a read on Hurly. Missing on both because you waiting on the longer shot one can be disastrous. I want Hurly over Drew also, but you can't risk not getting one of them.
I’d rather make Drew wait until Hurley decides, only to have both tell me know and end up with Chris Beard than to take Drew without even waiting for Hurley.

Hurley is far and away the best option. Truthfully I don’t know if Drew is even that much of a better choice than Beard. He’s only even if this position because of winning the title during the covid year where all of sports was upside down. Waiting on Hurley is worth the gamble because his upside is far greater.

Weirdly I’m not blown away by Hurley, he has already won 2 championships. How many coaches just keep winning unlimited titles. The guy isn’t John Wooden or Rupp. Eventually people are gonna figure out his system and how big of a jerk he is to his players and it will all balance out. He caught lighting in a bottle for sure but has not done much up until lately. I don’t know why I feel that way but I’d rather beat the guy then have him coach my team.
Now THAT is the most Kentucky shit EVER!!!

THAT’S where I’m at. Best post I’ve read in 96 hours! Wish I could like it 100 times.

Let’s beat his ass and put this dude to heel.

• Love
Reactions: TriCountyCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT