ADVERTISEMENT

Jones flips to Bama

wildcatman26

Sophomore
Apr 23, 2006
13346620_10210111555534409_1165470573913090997_n.jpg

Oh well. I'm sure there is some 2*-3* stud out there with a shit load of Mac offers that would commit to the cats right now.

If a Mark Stoops/Mac Jones marriage can't succeed how are the rest of us supposed to believe in love?

Welp.

Reactions: TheKentuckyKid
My first thought as well... I've been pulling for this kid like crazy during all the events.... Better stop there because what I want to say is not good... But respect? WTF practice that respect thing when Saban sits your ass.

Correct. I don't hope he fails but I just forget he exists immediately. Why commit if you are just going to flip? I just don't care about him anymore and will mentally move on. He doesn't get respect or vitriol or anything. He's just dead to me

Here's prime example number uno why no one should get excited about a recruit till NSD. The minute he reopened his commitment you knew he was gone. Matt Jones blasted some caller last week after he said "when Mac Jones decommits..." And said this kid was as good to go and Mac Jones was questioning why the fans thought he would decommit.

However, I will say this. I know people are pissed at Mac Jones but just stop it. 17 year old kid. If you've ever been around one, you know they change their mind with the wind. Just be cautious with recruits moving forward.

Ohh well can't blame the kid. Sucks for us. Our staff has a great eye for talent!! Stoops I'm sorry this one hurts a little more.

Can you IMAGINE that outcry if this is how recruiting worked in basketball?

Honestly though, hard to blame the kid. We've gotta know by now what commitments mean prior to signing day. Were basketball this way, I don't doubt for a second that Cal could flip most commitments to other SEC schools. We can't have it both ways.

Reactions: bishop3006
I will never get worked up over a commitment again.

They mean absolutely nothing. I may not even watch until Signing Day

Reactions: gsayers
Prospects flip their commitments every year, in almost every program, and prospects whose ratings are rapidly rising may be more likely to flip. I can't really address the issue of whether this particular flip was expected. I'm sure a lot of our fans will say they were expecting this, but I felt like we had a pretty good chance to hold onto Jones. Kentucky seemed like a good fit for him, and he seemed happy with the hires of Gran and Hinshaw. So I am disappointing, especially after Jones' recent public reassurances. However, I do not begrudge him. I take him at his word. If Jones thinks Alabama is the opportunity of a lifetime, then I wish him luck. But this may be the most damaging development Stoops has faced. It's a challenge that Stoops must overcome, and that won't be easy. I consider this more damaging than losing Damien Harris, because we still had Boom Williams. But the quarterback position is too thin, and Gran's offense is not well suited for a system quarterback or a placeholder. Johnson will be a senior in 2017, and Barker in 2018. Jones would have excelled here, and that's probably why Javonte Richardson committed. Unless Richardson is considering moving over to the defense, we might lose him now. This could affect Jedrick Wills' thinking too. I would be surprised if it doesn't. I'm sure Stoops must have known this was a possibility, so he and Gran must have an alternative in mind. Stoops must find a talented quarterback to add to this class. He might be able to do it, so now is too early to judge. But that's going to be mandatory. Gunnar Hoak may be a solid quarterback in time, but we have to sign quarterbacks at least that good in every class. So it will be interesting to watch which 2017 quarterbacks Stoops goes after now.

Can't blame the kid, but this one hurts! He is going to be a special QB. Alabama has another 4* in that class, I don't understand

100% committed, where have I heard that before, sounds familiar, LOL.

Another shining example of the loyalty in today's youth. Me first, just win baby, blah blah blah.

Oh, by the way, not only is Bama a little ahead of our rebuilding curve (thought he said he wanted to be part of a rising program?) but they also pay their players about $2000 more a year than we do ours. And that is the legal part. I understand that the money isn't supposed to mean a lot to him personally, but some of the players he wants to follow him to UK that he needs to get us to the top probably do need it a great deal.

Reactions: ukalum1988

Another shining example of the loyalty in today's youth. Me first, just win baby, blah blah blah.

Oh, by the way, not only is Bama a little ahead of our rebuilding curve (thought he said he wanted to be part of a rising program?) but they also pay their players about $2000 more a year than we do ours. And that is the legal part. I understand that the money isn't supposed to mean a lot to him personally, but some of the players he wants to follow him to UK that he needs to get us to the top probably do need it a great deal.

Christ, cry me a river. You're telling me everything you decided on at 17 you never changed your mind on. He's going to the defending national champion vs a school on their 3rd OC in 4 years. And you're going off about the cost of living adjustment. I bet if someone offered you a job right now where you could have a greater chance of success, where it's more stable, you would jump all over it. If anybody is crying foul tonight over a decision on a 17year old kid you need to take a step back, figure out your priorities, bc they are screwed up

Reactions: assistbyhawkins
He can 100% kiss my big blue ass too. He's already proven himself to be a complete and total liar. Let him take his lying arse to Bama.

Reactions: Blueaz
This example is the same in basketball where Cal picks and chooses who he wants. While a number of players turn down UK to be a "star" elsewhere, the top players come to play pro ball.

In the case of Mr. Saban, he picks and chooses players to be part of an annual championship contender. The tradition, the champions the Tide produces, the legend of the Bear and having a lifetime of s career as one of the Tide's best assures the young man of financial security.

My best to you young man.

Reactions: Jazzycat and kats23
This example is the same in basketball where Cal picks and chooses who he wants. While a number of players turn down UK to be a "star" elsewhere, the top players come to play pro ball.

In the case of Mr. Saban, he picks and chooses players to be part of an annual championship contender. The tradition, the champions the Tide produces, the legend of the Bear and having a lifetime of s career as one of the Tide's best assures the young man of financial security.

Except cal doesn't recruit Duke, UNCs, or even for that matter Alabamas commits. A kid makes a pledge in basketball it's done. Unless they formally reopen their recruitment.

It begs the question... why now? What has recently happened to make him change his mind? If this came after an Alabama visit then I would understand, but this is some weird timing to me...?

It begs the question... why now? What has recently happened to make him change his mind? If this came after an Alabama visit then I would understand, but this is some weird timing to me...?
The timing is the part the surprised me. I thought it would be during the season that it would become an issue.

I'm hearing that Saban plans to ask Jones to gray shirt right before NSD.

but they also pay their players about $2000 more a year than we do ours

A lot of schools do. Certainly doesn't help when you are starting with a historical disadvantage to begin with.

The timing is the part the surprised me. I thought it would be during the season that it would become an issue.

There are a lot of times it makes sense. If he had gone to an all star game and met a bunch of Bama players that he wanted to play with then I would understand. However, he was just at a QB competition where he most definitely saw another 2017 recruit finish as one of the top Elite 11 quarterbacks. If it were a position like running back where you always need more of them and you play several and he had flipped at a RB camp then I would understand. However, this just seems so out of the blue. It is even somewhat strange that it is just a straight flip rather than a decommit and then a commital to Alabama. Had he said, "Thanks to UK coaches for believing in me, but Tuscaloosa feels like home." then I might understand a bit more, but the fact that it is entirely out of nowhere is strange.

Christ, cry me a river. You're telling me everything you decided on at 17 you never changed your mind on. He's going to the defending national champion vs a school on their 3rd OC in 4 years. And you're going off about the cost of living adjustment. I bet if someone offered you a job right now where you could have a greater chance of success, where it's more stable, you would jump all over it. If anybody is crying foul tonight over a decision on a 17year old kid you need to take a step back, figure out your priorities, bc they are screwed up

katz, I agree with you to some extent, however, even at 17 your word should mean something. If your not sure, then don't commit until you are. I doubt Stoops told him he had to commit to UK, or we were not going to offer him a scholarship.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Pretty sure Jones's family doesn't need the money...but it does suck that the UK administration was once again asleep at the wheel on this coa thing

Last edited:
I know Saban called him about a week ago and he must have put on the press sale because this did come out of the blue. My worry was that we couldn't afford any negative vibes in the program and am afraid recent de commits may have been enough for him to be more open to the big boys after all.

The only good thing about this is he didn't wait until January or February to do it. No one would begrudge him for choosing Alabama over us at all. It's the way it happened that makes him look bad. If you're not sure about the school you want to attend then simply don't make a commitment. Take your visits and then make a choice when you're sure and don't lead a school like UK on. He's proven that his word is worthless and he's loyal to no one. Not a good look at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT