ADVERTISEMENT

Johnell Davis trending towards Arkansas per Travis Branham

Thing is we have got to start getting some of these guys or we are going to really struggle next year. It’s possible to find a negative for every guy thats out there if we look hard enough. I just think it’s funny how when we miss out on someone people come on here and immediately come up with reasons why it wasn't a good fit to begin with. Sounds like a form of coping.
Ok man, you got it figured out. 👍🏻

I’ll be honest, I’d rather not pay one of the top portal amounts to a scoring guard. Think there’s much better value to be had even if Davis is a great player.

Reactions: dl51344
There's no excuse to Arkansas getting a recruit over Kentucky, especially if they are a priority for us as well. Kentucky should get their targets over anyone, especially Arkansas, especially in the NIL days of college basketball where money is put over coaches and universities. Now, we don't know for sure if Davis was seen as a must-get kid in their eyes, but I would assume he was. If he wasn't, then the question of what were they thinking should be asked. When a probable All-American is sitting in the portal, basically hearing offers from a handful of schools, there should be no excuse that we don't reel the kid in. Sorry for the rant, but I am frustrated with this update. Hoping that things take a sudden turn.

Different positions entirely. Smith as a PG would provide a lot of positives. Big fan of his game and the pace he played efficiently. If you are going to play fast-need someone who can keep the pace up and not be chaotic or sporadic.

Davis is a fantastic player. Great get for Arkansas if they land him.

There are going to be players available and to zero in on. Talented wing players are easier to get then bigs and guards in today's game. Now that the staff is together, let's see who they focus on.
Thanks for the perspective and thoughts as always, Ralphdlatonfan. Always appreciated.

Cal will get his. For anyone to think he won't is crazy. When he came to UK at his press conference he stressed - "This was a dream for me. I'm here because I can recruit the best of the best - here." Didn't hear that a couple of weeks ago...yet I digress. In his 15 years at the helm of the greatest program in the history of the sport he became the best recruiter of all-time. He wasn't until he got to UK. That's a fact. Yet with all of that amassed talent, he won one NCAA title. Same as three other coaches at UK. The other has four. He will get talent. What does he do with it for the school that is now paying him is the question. If the last five years are any indication...he will be overpaid for his last two jobs.

UK will get talent as well. That's a fact many are delusionally hoping doesn't happen. But UK had it before you...had it through you...and will have it when you're gone. That's true with John Calipari and the program he now leads.

I know people need to learn a little patience. Man they said Pope had a shit ton of visitors this weekend coming up. We just got Brooks today, Hart, and Fueger this week. They have to have a little time to be able to work some magic. I love our fans we are the best fans in America but we are also the most impatient fans in America.
I know I’ve been impatient at times. Don’t mean to be I just can’t wait to see the team we will have

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Thanks for the perspective and thoughts as always, Ralphdlatonfan. Always appreciated.

Cal will get his. For anyone to think he won't is crazy. When he came to UK at his press conference he stressed - "This was a dream for me. I'm here because I can recruit the best of the best - here." Didn't hear that a couple of weeks ago...yet I digress. In his 15 years at the helm of the greatest program in the history of the sport he became the best recruiter of all-time. He wasn't until he got to UK. That's a fact. Yet with all of that amassed talent, he won one NCAA title. Same as three other coaches at UK. The other has four. He will get talent. What does he do with it for the school that is now paying him is the question. If the last five years are any indication...he will be overpaid for his last two jobs.

UK will get talent as well. That's a fact many are delusionally hoping doesn't happen. But UK had it before you...had it through you...and will have it when you're gone. That's true with John Calipari and the program he leads now.
More importantly--Cal lost the staff that could develop. Cal is going to get talent-that's what he does. I love Kenny Payne and that hire saved Cal some sanity. Chin is a guy who will do his job but is a guy that you should've upgraded if given an opportunity. Bruiser Flint is TRASH. Brad Calipari is a Pat Knight/Bob Knight thing which we all understand but glad it's not happening at Kentucky. But talent won't be the issue at all.

Pope's hired a better staff than we've seen in Lexington in terms of guys who can coach/develop as well as recruit. That matters to me far more. Too many guys can do 1 or other-but when you can coach/develop and recruit-that means the talent you get, will improve and they also have input into the game plan/scouts ahead of things and are talented in doing so.

Reportedly Michigan couldn't admit him due to the same scenario they couldn't get a few guys into school last year including Caleb Love which was Davis was a SR who hadn't graduated and Admissions wouldn't allow his transfer.
Oh thanks. I had read that but slipped my mind.

Cal is desperate to prove us wrong. He’s going to switch it up a bit. Something he should have done here.

Bring it!!!
I’m preparing for Arkansas fans to trash talk us when they have a decent regular season but how will Cal do when the lights are the brightest in the tourney? Really hoping they get bounced first weekend.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I suppose this report/prediction may or may not be true. But what exactly does “gaining momentum” mean? And from whose perspective is momentum gaining? Someone at Arkansas? Does gaining momentum mean they’re upping their bid, and therefore must be gaining momentum to get Davis? I just find some of these reports odd. The guy will make a decision where he wants to land one way or another. I don’t know that “momentum” means anything. Seems the “momentum” changes by the hour/day with a lot of these portal guys, so who is to say there won’t be a different report on the “momentum” before the day is out? Want if Pope calls up and decides to try to outbid Arkansas again? Does the momentum change once more?

I'm not going to "worry" just yet, or at least until it's formally announced that he signed with Arkansas. Now our coaches are set, and we have a good recruiter on board, so let's see what happens.

Oh thanks. I had read that but slipped my mind.
I wasn't sure either immediately and don't follow Michigan but they had that with Love last year and one other guy too-forget who it was??

He brought in Vlad Goldin with him and combo of he/Danny Wolf from Yale is going to help May a lot. Like the Roddy Gayle addition too. Sam Walters has potential but if Oats was fine letting him go-I'm guessing he'll be a project for May too.

Thing is we have got to start getting some of these guys or we are going to really struggle next year.

IMG-0543.webp

Remember when we couldn’t wait a week for Billy Donovan because he wouldn’t have time to recruit

Pope will be fine.
I mean, will he?

I get it that it's not fashionable right now to exude too much negativity and "panic'. But lets not act like it's a forgone conclusion that we will have a strong roster this season. being a .500 team is definitely on the table. With a new regime and only 3 players heading into May it really could swing either way and we have to be real with that.

I would not dismiss any possibility right now with the roster.

There's no excuse to Arkansas getting a recruit over Kentucky, especially if they are a priority for us as well. Kentucky should get their targets over anyone, especially Arkansas, especially in the NIL days of college basketball where money is put over coaches and universities. Now, we don't know for sure if Davis was seen as a must-get kid in their eyes, but I would assume he was. If he wasn't, then the question of what were they thinking should be asked. When a probable All-American is sitting in the portal, basically hearing offers from a handful of schools, there should be no excuse that we don't reel the kid in. Sorry for the rant, but I am frustrated with this update. Hoping that things take a sudden turn.
none of these kids will come here for Kentucky. They just don't care.

If you search "corbreadandmilk" and "moron", you'll find him calling all sorts of people morons. He called one poster a "pathetic moron.". So he doesn't folllow the set of rules he sets for others. Weak sh*t.
Lead Belly calling out out other posters?Funny shit.

Reactions: UKortho
He was probably a guy they just bought. If they overpaid then that’s fine

I mean, will he?

I get it that it's not fashionable right now to exude too much negativity and "panic'. But lets not act like it's a forgone conclusion that we will have a strong roster this season. being a .500 team is definitely on the table. With a new regime and only 3 players heading into May it really could swing either way and we have to be real with that.

I would not dismiss any possibility right now with the roster.
And you got your worrisome little friend liking your post. You people need to chill. Have a bottle of bourbon to calm you down. Things are on the uptick. Just watch and see.

Reactions: ruppsrunt66
Remember when we couldn’t wait a week for Billy Donovan because he wouldn’t have time to recruit

Where's your source that he would have 100% accepted the job?? Need a source instead of just assuming he was going to take the job. Also absolutely embarrassing that people are already flipping out. Just messed up.

I’m preparing for Arkansas fans to trash talk us when they have a decent regular season but how will Cal do when the lights are the brightest in the tourney? Really hoping they get bounced first weekend.
I wouldn’t expect anybody to trash talk, I mean nobody of consequence anyway.

Calipari has always been the champion of the off season. He will recruit well and get positive buzz. Nothing new there. The problem for him is Nov-March.
Yeah but if you don’t have a good offseason you aren’t gonna have the chance to crap the bed come March.

I suppose this report/prediction may or may not be true. But what exactly does “gaining momentum” mean? And from whose perspective is momentum gaining? Someone at Arkansas? Does gaining momentum mean they’re upping their bid, and therefore must be gaining momentum to get Davis? I just find some of these reports odd. The guy will make a decision where he wants to land one way or another. I don’t know that “momentum” means anything. Seems the “momentum” changes by the hour/day with a lot of these portal guys, so who is to say there won’t be a different report on the “momentum” before the day is out? Want if Pope calls up and decides to try to outbid Arkansas again? Does the momentum change once more?
It means that we have Richmond, Boogie, Aidoo visiting this weekend, Knox committed, and the team is starting to take shape. Hence he can see what he’ll be part of and that excites him…that and the money too. Momentum is everything, and Cal is really good at generating recruiting momentum, as y’all know.

I’ll be honest, I’d rather not pay one of the top portal amounts to a scoring guard. Think there’s much better value to be had even if Davis is a great player.
Guards are the easiest position to recruit in basketball.. it's just a numbers game. There is a whole bunch of 5'11" to 6'3" kids that play basketball. Not that many people walking around that is taller than 6'5". Good talented bigs are the hardest people to find..

Where's your source that he would have 100% accepted the job?? Need a source instead of just assuming he was going to take the job. Also absolutely embarrassing that people are already flipping out. Just messed up.
Plus, that would have just put us further behind. No guarantees that he could recruit any better than Pope.

And you got your worrisome little friend liking your post. You people need to chill. Have a bottle of bourbon to calm you down. Things are on the uptick. Just watch and see.
Do I seem un-chilled? I’m ready for anything baby.

I’ll flip it back to you. You Uber-posy folks also need to chill. This thing is just kicking off. What I’m saying is, we don’t know where this ride stops. It could be the penthouse or it could be the ghetto. So I’m urging you to pack a Glock in your gucci and get ready to lock the doors in the Lexus.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT