ADVERTISEMENT

John Wall lists his all time UK starting 5

You can tell he is a younger guy by his list

PG- Himself
SG- Mashburn
SF- Prince
PF- AD
C- Boogie

It's a good list and all, but it's not the correct all time answer.
Mine, with reasons:

PG- Wall - 16.6ppg (2nd in assists in a single season, behind Ulis, but with more speed and ability to create his own shot)
images

SG- Meeks - 15.4ppg - (Most 3-pointers in a single season, plus the ability to create his own shot; scored 54 points in a single game)
images

SF- Mashburn - 18.8ppg - (Does everything you need him to at this position, and on the basketball court in general)
images

PF- Davis - 14.2ppg - 4.65bpg (His defense would create incredible offense for the three above)
images

C- Issel - 25.8ppg (Averaged 25.8 points a game over his career)
images

This team would be unbeatable. My only switch would possibly be Nerlens Noel for Issel (I know, it's crazy, but hear me out). With Davis and Noel at the 4/5, this team would give up very few points. Between the two, they would have nearly ten blocks per game (Davis averaged 4.65/g, Noel averaged 4.57/g). That, to go along with the defense and scoring of Wall, Meeks, and Mashburn, I don't know that a better team could be assembled in all of college basketball.

I can tell you’re an old- timer like me. Good list, but I didn’t see Beard and Spivey play.
I’ve seen movies of Spivey and he looks like he stepped out of a time machine from the 2000s. Just amazingly quick for someone 7’1” today, never mind from 60+ years ago. I still argue his 40 point 34 rebound game against Xavier is single greatest game ever by a UK player.

• Love
Reactions: dlh331
Mine, with reasons:

PG- Wall - 16.6ppg (2nd in assists in a single season, behind Ulis, but with more speed and ability to create his own shot)
images

SG- Meeks - 15.4ppg - (Most 3-pointers in a single season, plus the ability to create his own shot; scored 54 points in a single game)
images

SF- Mashburn - 18.8ppg - (Does everything you need him to at this position, and on the basketball court in general)
images

PF- Davis - 14.2ppg - 4.65bpg (His defense would create incredible offense for the three above)
images

C- Issel - 25.8ppg (Averaged 25.8 points a game over his career)
images

This team would be unbeatable. My only switch would possibly be Nerlens Noel for Issel (I know, it's crazy, but hear me out). With Davis and Noel at the 4/5, this team would give up very few points. Between the two, they would have nearly ten blocks per game (Davis averaged 4.65/g, Noel averaged 4.57/g). That, to go along with the defense and scoring of Wall, Meeks, and Mashburn, I don't know that a better team could be assembled in all of college basketball.
No, just no. You can't replace Issell with Noel I see your justification but no

• Love
Reactions: KFuqua
When I think of our all-time list, I can't help but think of the all-time "they were inches away from playing here" list:

PG - Trae Young
SG - Allen Iverson
SF - Tracy McGrady
PF - Larry Bird
C - Ralph Sampson
I don't know how close we were on Allen Iverson. After his bowling alley incident, Then coach Rick Pitino & rightly so I might add dropped him like a hot potato. Pitino didn't want anybody like that around the UK basketball program.

I don't know how close we were on Allen Iverson. After his bowling alley incident, Then coach Rick Pitino & rightly so I might add dropped him like a hot potato. Pitino didn't want anybody like that around the UK basketball program.
The kid was the best guard in his high school class. I think if the sentence had been smaller, Pitino still takes him, but the original sentence was something like 15 months until the governor of Virginia pardoned Iverson after a few months.

He was exactly what we lacked on that 1995 team. Epps and Sheppard simply weren't ready to lead that UK team to a national title (yet).

When I think of our all-time list, I can't help but think of the all-time "they were inches away from playing here" list:

PG - Trae Young
SG - Allen Iverson
SF - Tracy McGrady
PF - Larry Bird
C - Ralph Sampson
Also Brandon Wright and Draymond Green. Not sure if Wright really panned out though. I don't follow the NBA

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
The kid was the best guard in his high school class. I think if the sentence had been smaller, Pitino still takes him, but the original sentence was something like 15 months until the governor of Virginia pardoned Iverson after a few months.

He was exactly what we lacked on that 1995 team. Epps and Sheppard simply weren't ready to lead that UK team to a national title (yet).
He went to Georgetown because everyone dropped him after his conviction except John Thompson. Iverson’s mother literally begged him to give her son a chance and he did. AI has always said that John Thompson saved his life.

Iverson would have never lasted under Pitino.

He went to Georgetown because everyone dropped him after his conviction except John Thompson. Iverson’s mother literally begged him to give her son a chance and he did. AI has always said that John Thompson saved his life.

Iverson would have never lasted under Pitino.
I highly doubt Pitino would have had a hard time finding a role for a future #1 pick and the best guard in college basketball from 1995 through 1996.

Also Brandon Wright and Draymond Green. Not sure if Wright really panned out though. I don't follow the NBA
During the time period of recruiting Brandon Wright, I really wanted Thaddeus Young. I loved his game. He's lasted a long time in the NBA as well. He even played last season.

Reactions: Rockfly78
I respect my elders. But this team would lose to most D1 teams today
Well Spivey and Beard ARE dead after all, and Dampier is 79…..

All joking aside, I believe all those guys taken at their prime AND if availed of modern strength training would be very competitive, but that last “if” is critical for Spivey and Beard, and probably Dampier as well. Less so for Issel and a non-issue for Mashburn. There was a revolution in sports in the late 60s/early 70s regarding the value/necessity of strength training in most sports (outside of football and a handful of others) that sets a wall between players of the past and those who came afterwards.

Hard to include many guys before like 1970....just a different game

No, just no. You can't replace Issell with Noel I see your justification but no

Some of our fans try to show their "knowledge" by coming up with some of the weirdest scenarios possible that no one else could possibly come up with. Then try to justify those scenarios. Almost comical really 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: JC CATS
I respect my elders. But this team would lose to most D1 teams today

You have to look at how players of different eras compared to other players in their era. It's the reason that it's a topic that creates so much division in peoples opinions.

Looking at today's game (in any sport) with all the strength, nutrition, training programs, etc. not too mention the money involved versus players from the past is impossible. For an easy example today's players make so much money they can put entire gyms (weights and training, not meaning an actual basketball court) in their homes and work out daily. Many professional athletes in days gone by had to work "regular" jobs in the off season to make ends meet.

My honest starting 5 of all UK players I seen live

Wall
 TD
DA
Mashburn
AD

A smaller line up but has it all with tons of scoring an great defense

During the time period of recruiting Brandon Wright, I really wanted Thaddeus Young. I loved his game. He's lasted a long time in the NBA as well. He even played last season.

GT payed Young a ton. He was going to play for Cal 100% we had no chance. Cal was literally clearing room for him boom GT. That’s one that always burned Cal up. Guy on 06 said Cal was visibly pissed and distraught when Thad went away from Memphis. It was heavily rumored by some guys very close to Calipari and the program that young was given unforeseen money to go to GT. There’s no way UK would have played in the games Memphis and GT were playing in to land him.

One of Thad’s mentors is said to have agreed to Cals arraignment and Cal never again worked with anyone associated with them again.

Old story I haven’t thought of much in years until you brought him up.

Another that is said to have burned Cal up bad was Barton. He was on a trip to China and Memphis dropped a bigger bag but wanted Barton to commit immediately. Cal never had the chance to correct it and lost him without a counter. Memphis was trying to maintain after cal during that time and keep the program up. They overpayed bad for Barton but wanted to steal a big one from Cal. From that moment on Cal wanted back in the Memphis scene to cause problems with the pipeline and did so. Memphis slowly died lol.

That was a wild time those days

Last edited:
Never gotten the Wall mania, he really didn't accomplish as much say Macy, Delk,Givens and a host of others that played here. Fwiw my team would be
Pg- Macy
Sg-- Delk
Sf -- Givens
Pf -- Mashburn
C --Issel.

Never gotten the Wall mania, he really didn't accomplish as much say Macy, Delk,Givens and a host of others that played here. Fwiw my team would be
Pg- Macy
Sg-- Delk
Sf -- Givens
Pf -- Mashburn
C --Issel.

I’ll defend Wall. We’ve never had a game breaker like him. UNC, UConn at MSG, and Tennessee at home are just 3 examples off the top of my head where he completely took over the game and propelled us to victory. I get that WVU was a complete fiasco and for a lot of folks that’s the everlasting impression. But when Wall was on we’ve never had a point guard like him.

🤣 Delk, Blurr Anderson, Grevey, Meeks and Chapman are just a few of the UK guards who suggest to the contrary.

I don’t think you know what a game breaker is. Those players were all great scorers and had consistent offense that would carry the team, but outside of Dwight Anderson (who was before my time and on a middling team) none of them would have a stretch of blocks, steals, and dunks that completely shifted the momentum of the game. And none of them were point guards.

I looked in the coaching manuals, the rosters and even in Woden’s pyramid of success but couldn’t find any listing for ‘game breakers.’ 🤣 Back when I played college ball in the 80’s, there were the elite players that we called ‘studs’ who each dominated in college for more than just one season. Delk, Blurr, Grevey, Meeks and Chapman were all studs. Wall averaged 16 points over 31 college games? To each their own, you’re more easily impressed than me 🤠

• Love
Reactions: ArtLaibsGhost
I looked in the coaching manuals, the rosters and even in Woden’s pyramid of success but couldn’t find any listing for ‘game breakers.’ 🤣 Back when I played college ball in the 80’s, there were the elite players that we called ‘studs’ who each dominated in college for more than just one season. Delk, Blurr, Grevey, Meeks and Chapman were all studs. Wall averaged 16 points over 31 college games? To each their own, you’re more easily impressed than me 🤠

Ok, Boomer.

• Haha
Reactions: KAB Cats
John Wall: Averaged 16.6ppg over 37 games - scoring 616 points in a season, good for 20th all time.

Delk: Scored 639 over 36 games, his senior year, good for 17th all time
Anderson: Averaged 13.3ppg, 387 in his first season at UK, not even on the board historically
Grevy: He was a PF
Jodie Meeks: He was SG, and as great as he was, he wasn't quite the gamechanger in every way that John Wall was. To be fair, my starting five included Wall at PG and Meeks at SG
Chapman: I'm taking Wall. Let's take Chapman's sophomore season and compare to Wall:

Chapman: 19ppg / 3.7apg / 1.7spg / 2.7to
Wall: 16.6ppg / 6.5apg / 2.1spg / 4.7to

Closer than I would have thought, and Chapman had an inch on Wall while Wall outweighed Chapman by ten pounds, 195 to 185. I would take Wall still, but it was a closer comparison that I thought.

Whenever you make these lists people will always have recency bias. Old timers will favor the guys they grew up watching and younger people will favor the ones they grew up watching.

My favorite all time players include Roger Harden but I’m not going to put him on any top 5 or top 10 lists. These things fluctuate.

I don’t think you know what a game breaker is. Those players were all great scorers and had consistent offense that would carry the team, but outside of Dwight Anderson (who was before my time and on a middling team) none of them would have a stretch of blocks, steals, and dunks that completely shifted the momentum of the game. And none of them were point guards.

Interesting stat: In the three games Kentucky lost in 2009-2010, John Wall scored 19 points in each game. They were 3-3 when John Wall scored 19 points. They were 32-0 when he scored any other amount.

Probably irrelevant, but interesting.

Reactions: CELTICAT
Probably not the all time list but it’s not anywhere near past a second tier, and they might even beat the first tier a few out of 7.

Mine centers around

Wall
Delk
Mashburn
AD
Horse
My list, with only players in my era, would look like this. Again, I am leaving guys like "Goose" Givens, Issel, Macy, Ramsey, Dampier, Chapman, "Sky" Walker et. out due to them playing before my time.

1 - John Wall
2 - Tony Delk
3 - Jamal Mashburn
4 - Antoine Walker
5 - Anthony Davis

Derek Anderson, Ron Mercer, Demarcus Cousins, Karl Anthony-Towns, and Jamal Murray as honorable mentions who were the last cuts.

Reactions: Killswitch24
My list, with only players in my era, would look like this. Again, I am leaving guys like "Goose" Givens, Issel, Macy, Ramsey, Dampier, Chapman, "Sky" Walker et. out due to them playing before my time.

1 - John Wall
2 - Tony Delk
3 - Jamal Mashburn
4 - Antoine Walker
5 - Anthony Davis

Derek Anderson, Ron Mercer, Demarcus Cousins, Karl Anthony-Towns, and Jamal Murray as honorable mentions who were the last cuts.

Yea that’s a good list. It’s hard for us who don’t remember much before the 90’s because they were so stacked it’s just hard to realize we actually had players that good before. I always try and give the Horse his due because I remember him being such a solid known pro in my early early years.

Reactions: W1LDCAT22
Basil Hayden
Carey Spicer
Frenchy DeMoisey
Aggie Sale
Burgess Carey

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT