C - Williams

And for a more potent offense
PG - Kriisa
SG - Oweh
SF - Brea
PF - Robinson
C - Garrison

7 players are going to average above 20 minutes a game,
Hear me out guys, lets go with this starting lineup so we could have a backup 5 be the nuclear lineup

Starters
Pg- Butler 50% from 2pt range, great catch and shoot 3's, elite defender
Sg- Robinson - offensive player but really good defender as well
Sf- Oweh - 37% 3pt and over 50% 2pt, great defensive player
Pf- Carr - 38% 3pt and over 50% 2pt , good defender
C - Williams - over 55% FG , elite defender.

Ok this grew comes in and scores efficiently and just defends well, really wears down opponents then the nuclear lineup comes in

Pg- Kriisa - 42% 3pt shooter
Sg- Brea - 50% 3pt shooter
Sf- Chandler , said to be a very good shooter, if not him then Noah at 42% 3pt
Pf- Ansley Almonor - 39.5% 3pt shooter
C - Garrison - 57% FG and with shooters around him that will be even higher

and they can just go to town on teams tiring out

now who do I think will start, Butler, Brea, Robinson, Carr, and Williams. I could also see later in the year Kriisa , Oweh or Garrison improving enough to earn starting some games
I like the rotation you got, except for Chandler. Imo he'll be 10th, in mpg, but the nucleus will be 8 imo.
Robinson 27 mpg
Butler, Brea, Carr, Williams, Kriisa 23
Oweh, Garrison 20
Almonor 6
Chandler 6
Perry, Noah 3
Players might not get the mpg they had before, but with fresher legs could equal, to a more efficient play.

If Oweh makes any jump at all he might be starting. He is the 2nd best defensive guard and can guard 1-4. He is strong enough to block out and such. He is good on offense but if he makes the jump from 11 to say 15 points a game, cuts down TO and such he will see the floor a ton and if Pope wants his best defense out there he will have Butler, Oweh, Robinson, Carr or Almonor and Williams.
I love Oweh but you’re not taking the best shooter in the country off the floor when you already have a defensive minded PG in the starting lineup. I actually think Oweh will be a fan favorite and look forward to watching him but nothing you stated makes up for the fact that he has a limited perimeter game offensively as does Butler. They won’t be paired together in the starting lineup imo.

I bet the practice battles between Williams and Garrison will be just epic. Like the Kanter/Harrellson year only this time thankfully both of them can play.

I hope and think Pope can sell them on different starting lineups depending on matchups. With at least 10 of them getting significant minutes. If they buy into that i think they can be really good. This is a unique roster. i don’t know if there is anybody who is a must start. Carr and Williams may be the closest to that.

Beginning of the season

Starters

1: Butler 25 mpg
2: Brea. 20 mpg
3: Oweh 20 mpg
4: Carr 25 mpg
5: Williams 20 mpg

Subs
1: Kriisa 15 mpg
2: Chandler 10 mpg
3: Robinson 20 mpg
4: Almonor 15 mpg
5: Garrison 20 mpg

Deep subs
1: Perry 5 mpg
2: Noah 5 mpg

Pope will use more bodies early in the season and will test out different lineup combinations and sets to get a feel for the team. I think he actually may try to get a solid 10 man rotation early, and get both Perry and Noah some time against overmatched teams.

Later in the season, Pope will still keep a 10 man rotation, but will have figured out his starters and those guys will be getting at least 25 minutes per game. If the team stays healthy, Pope may be able to platoon in certain situations. This roster has good depth and balance.

This

New Starting 5
PG = Butler
SG = Brea
SF = Robinson
PF = Carr
C = Williams

1st Three of Bench
Oweh
Garrison
Kriisa
Haters can keep their heads in the sand if they wanna, that's a good squad, especially considering how they will be used and spaced with a team based, not ME based system.

I think we need to be looking at it like this:
PG - Butler (defensive), Kriisa (offensive)
SG - Brea (offensive), Oweh (defensive)
SF - Robinson (both), Chandler (maybe both)
PF - Carr (offensive), Almonor (offensive)
C - Williams (defensive), Garrison (defensive)

Mix and match your guards to get 1 offensive guy and 1 defensive guy on the court as much as possible. Forwards are going to give you a guy that is well rounded, and a guy that offensive. Then you get a rim protector low post scorer at Center. Of those, Robinson is the best right now at SF, Carr at PF, and then I think it is a toss up between Williams and Garrison at center, so I'll go with Williams. From the guards, I think Butler and Brea get paired together, and Kriisa and Oweh get paired together. I lean Butler and Brea today.

Today's guess is...

Butler
Brea
Jackson
Carr
Williams

Kriisa
Garrison
Oweh
Chandler

Almonor
Perry

Noah

To be honest I'm not sure JRob starts. Apparently he loves coming off the bench. Unless he wants to start this year to show the NBA scouts what he can do as a starter instead of 6th man.

To be honest I'm not sure JRob starts. Apparently he loves coming off the bench. Unless he wants to start this year to show the NBA scouts what he can do as a starter instead of 6th man.
This is a possibility.

And Brea also thrived last season coming off the bench. They might both feel better as reserves.

But I still feel like Robinson will start.

I wonder if CMP could do something innovative like start different lineups based on the opponent’s scouting reports?

Who says you have to have one set lineup?

I’d like to see it. Blend them all together based on what would be effective. We have the combinations. Also would make us tough to scout and prepare for.

I never have liked bringing in all of the subs at one time.

Today's guess is...

Butler
Brea
Jackson
Carr
Williams

Kriisa
Garrison
Oweh
Chandler

Almonor
Perry

Noah
Who is this Jackson guy some of you are listing as a starter ? I thought I had missed a player and scanned the whole roster twice. I found a Jaxson, but his last name is Robinson. Every player was listed by last name except Robinson which threw me off. Until I realized you didn't know how to spell his first name.

KENTUCKY DEPTH CHART
Head Coach: Mark Pope 0-0 at UK; 187-108 (.634) Overall
PG
Lamont Butler, Jr. - tsSr - 6-2/205 - #38PG - 42.1% fg 30.2% 3pt 59.4% ft 9.3 ppg 2.6 rpg 3.0 apg 1.5 spg (San Diego St.)
Kerr Kriisa - tsSr - 6-3/185 - #28PG - 42.9% fg 42.4% 3pt 77.5% ft 11.0 ppg 2.5 rpg 4.7 apg (West Virginia)
Travis Perry - Fr - 6-2/170 - #6PG
SG
Otega Oweh - tJr - 6-5/215 - #3SG - 49.3% fg 37.7% 3pt 64.3% ft 11.4 ppg 3.8 rpg 1.0 apg 1.5 spg (Oklahoma)
Collin Chandler - Fr - 6-4/170 - #6CG
SF
Jaxson Robinson - tSr - 6-7/190 - #19SF - 42.6% fg 35.4% 3pt 90.8% ft 14.2 ppg 2.5 rpg 1.3 apg (BYU)
Koby Brea - tsSr - 6-6/205 - #13SG - 51.2% fg 49.8% 3pt 87.5% ft 11.1 ppg 3.8 rpg 1.2 apg 1.0 spg (Dayton)
Trent Noah - Fr - 6-6/200 - #25SF
PF
Andrew Carr - tSr - 6-10/220 - #24SF - 52.6% fg 37.1% 3pt 78.1% ft 13.5 ppg 6.8 rpg 1.5 apg 1.5 bpg (Wake Forest)
Ansley Almonor - tSr - 6-7/220 - #52PF - 43.6% fg 39.4% 3pt 80.0% ft 16.4 ppg 5.1 rpg 1.7 apg (Fairleigh Dickinson)
C
Amari Williams - tsSr - 6-10/265 - #3PF - 51.7% fg 33.3% 3pt 65.5% ft 12.2 ppg 7.8 rpg 1.9 apg 1.8 bpg (Drexel)
Brandon Garrison - tSo - 6-11/245 - #4C - 57.2% fg 64.8% ft 7.5 ppg 5.3 rpg 1.5 apg 1.5 bpg (Oklahoma St.)

Reactions: storm1507
Also, Brea has said he likes coming off the bench, so he might stay in that role.

I could see Robinson coming off the bench like he did at BYU also. I bet Pope starts the year with Butler, Kriisa, Oweh, Carr, and Garrison starting. Those 5 all started last year.

Then Robinson, Brea, Williams as the primary 3 off the bench.

Reactions: UK67KU59
I could see Robinson coming off the bench like he did at BYU also. I bet Pope starts the year with Butler, Kriisa, Oweh, Carr, and Garrison starting. Those 5 all started last year.

Then Robinson, Brea, Williams as the primary 3 off the bench.
I could see that. Four of those guys were P5 starters last season and Butler played for a tourney team the last two seasons making the FF/title game in ‘23. That’s five guys that should be use to the spotlight.

Robinson and Brea are instant offense off the bench. Williams and Garrison should split their minutes pretty evenly, so whoever starts between the two really shouldn’t matter much.

Then play Almonor when Carr needs a breather and play Chandler if/when he shakes the rust off.

Perry and Noah are the victory cigars, as they say.

A lot of people are sleeping on Garrison's potential.

He could blow up playing in great system with shooters around him.

If Garrison can make some midrange jumpers at a good clip and develop some go-to post moves, we could take this thing to the next level. I don't get the indication that Williams will be much of a scoring threat in the half court, but hopefully Garrison can be that guy.

Last edited:
I sense some are seriously under estimating the value Almonor will bring to this team. I expect him to compete for a primary role not unlike what Darrius Miller brought to his team. While he played for a lower rated conference, he was FDU's focus, and was quite successful. He appears to have the skillset, the size, and the experience. Of the incoming transfers, he was the highest scorer, a solid rebounder, and a reliable shooter in all phases of the game. When he sees the team competing on the floor, Coach may have a similar reaction as did the blind recording engineer when he was recording the Soggy Bottom Boys singing into his "can" from O Brother Where Art Thou.

• Haha
Reactions: TysonD44
I love Oweh but you’re not taking the best shooter in the country off the floor when you already have a defensive minded PG in the starting lineup. I actually think Oweh will be a fan favorite and look forward to watching him but nothing you stated makes up for the fact that he has a limited perimeter game offensively as does Butler. They won’t be paired together in the starting lineup imo.
I’d start Almonor before I put two non shooters together on the court together!

New Starting 5
PG = Butler
SG = Brea
SF = Robinson
PF = Carr
C = Williams

1st Three of Bench
Oweh
Garrison
Kriisa
Why is it assumed there will be a specific "starting 5"?

If all of your players have various strengths, why wouldn't you play to the strengths of your players versus the strengths/weaknesses of your opponents?

For example, Duke is probably going to struggle defensively to start the season but should be pretty decent offensively to start the season. Why not put in a lock-down defenders on the floor (Butler/Oweh/Williams), surrounded by two offensive guys (Brea/Carr), to stymie their offense and still get points offensively.

If it's a team that struggles against the three, start Kriisa, Brea, and Carr?

Thinking in terms of having a starting five rather than putting in starting fives for matchup purposes seems like something Calipari would do. Coaching is about finding matchup problems the other team will have with your team and exploiting those. Play to your strengths against their strengths or weaknesses.

Why is it assumed there will be a specific "starting 5"?

If all of your players have various strengths, why wouldn't you play to the strengths of your players versus the strengths/weaknesses of your opponents?

For example, Duke is probably going to struggle defensively to start the season but should be pretty decent offensively to start the season. Why not put in a lock-down defenders on the floor (Butler/Oweh/Williams), surrounded by two offensive guys (Brea/Carr), to stymie their offense and still get points offensively.

If it's a team that struggles against the three, start Kriisa, Brea, and Carr?

Thinking in terms of having a starting five rather than putting in starting fives for matchup purposes seems like something Calipari would do. Coaching is about finding matchup problems the other team will have with your team and exploiting those. Play to your strengths against their strengths or weaknesses.
Would like to see different starting lineups with our roster being balanced as it is. Like you said, start the players that would be best against a particular team. Would also be good for a lot of guys to get to start from a moral perspective.

Reactions: Eight_Banners
I think Jaxson will start simply because he has 2 seasons under Pope and in the SEC. Brea, Kriisa, Chandler, Perry and Noah will be plenty of scoring/firepower off the bench. Oweh will be the set hard screens, drive in the middle type guy. Like i said Jaxson will be the key shooter along with Carr. Amari anchors the defense in the post and Butler anchors the backcourt defense but Oweh aint too shabby either.

PG- Butler 6-2 205 defense/distributer
2G- Oweh 6-5 215 strength/driving/slashing
W- Robinson 6-7 195 shooting/scoring/knows sec and cmp system
F- Carr 6-10 230 shooting/scoring
C- Williams 6-10 265 defense/enforcer

PG- Kriisa 6-3 185 shooter/scorer/passer
2G- Chandler 6-6 190 shooter/scorer
W- Brea 6-6 205 shooter/scorer
F- Almoror 6-7 225 defense/glue guy
C- Garrison 6-11 250 defense/better offense

PG- Perry 6-2 180 shooter
2G/W- Noah 6-6 200 shooter

I could see that. Four of those guys were P5 starters last season and Butler played for a tourney team the last two seasons making the FF/title game in ‘23. That’s five guys that should be use to the spotlight.

Robinson and Brea are instant offense off the bench. Williams and Garrison should split their minutes pretty evenly, so whoever starts between the two really shouldn’t matter much.

Then play Almonor when Carr needs a breather and play Chandler if/when he shakes the rust off.

Perry and Noah are the victory cigars, as they say.
If Robinson and Brea come off the bench, who starts at the 3 ? Maybe I misread your post ?

I think Jaxson will start simply because he has 2 seasons under Pope and in the SEC. Brea, Kriisa, Chandler, Perry and Noah will be plenty of scoring/firepower off the bench. Oweh will be the set hard screens, drive in the middle type guy. Like i said Jaxson will be the key shooter along with Carr. Amari anchors the defense in the post and Butler anchors the backcourt defense but Oweh aint too shabby either.

PG- Butler 6-2 205 defense/distributer
2G- Oweh 6-5 215 strength/driving/slashing
W- Robinson 6-7 195 shooting/scoring/knows sec and cmp system
F- Carr 6-10 230 shooting/scoring
C- Williams 6-10 265 defense/enforcer

PG- Kriisa 6-3 185 shooter/scorer/passer
2G- Chandler 6-6 190 shooter/scorer
W- Brea 6-6 205 shooter/scorer
F- Almoror 6-7 225 defense/glue guy
C- Garrison 6-11 250 defense/better offense

PG- Perry 6-2 180 shooter
2G/W- Noah 6-6 200 shooter
Almonor "defense / glue guy" ? He is a deadly shooter. He made as many 3's as anyone on the team last year.

Butler
Kiirsa
Robinson
Carr
Williams

Unlike Cal, I do think it matters who starts the game, but the number of minutes per game, and who finishes the game is very significant.

Getting those three great defensive players was more than big. When I saw that Sears is coming back I immediately thought of Butler and how fortunate we are. Most teams have at least one great offensive guard so our chances rise up a lot with Butler, Oweh and Williams on the roster.

Reactions: wkycatfan
Could work, but I think Robinson will start. He has one year to prove to the NBA scouts he can make it in the league. I think he will lead us in minutes played. he will be Pope's "safety net" / coach on the floor so to speak.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT