ADVERTISEMENT

John Wall and his struggles.

Just monitoring everything, I’m gonna say this too. Yes wealthy people have problems and wealthy people can have a debilitating mental condition. And yes Mental depression and illness can manifest in many ways regardless

However, if you don’t think there’s a huge benefit to having these conditions + being wealthy you’re in the wrong place. As bad as a negative mental state and condition can be for anyone including a wealthy person, try having these conditions with no way of getting ahead or paying your bills while worrying about kids and family. Yes that makes the condition worse. And yes being wealthy gives you a giant step ahead with regard to treatment and support systems. Plus, your condition is not made worse by worrying about your kids being bullied for lack of clothing and resources, it’s not made worse by having to live month to month in financial survival mode, and it’s not made worse by wondering if you’re going to be able to sustain yourself and your family with no way out.

Having severe mental illness/ depressions plus being poor is far worse than having those conditions and being wealthy. Of course we should understand that many wealthy people are operating in their world the same as a poor person in theirs, so the difference might only be seen from the outside looking in. But the reality is, if I’m going to be depressed, you damn straight I’d rather be wealthy as a way to avoid the compounding problems being broke can bring.

Everything is that much more difficult when you don’t have resources. I’ve read some reports where they said it took 5x the time for people below the poverty line to accomplish simple tasks like going to the grocery or doing laundry simply because of the basic constraints of being poor (no car, need to find a ride, etc). I can’t imagine how much more difficult getting help with mental health issues is when you’re in that situation.

Reactions: Gromcat
This is America

I don’t disagree it’s a sickness. But It also depends on what we’re talking about to a certain degree. And really, these aspects are extremely hard to quantify even still. As someone who does this for a living I can say it’s not a black and white situations and too many comment on it that don’t understand it from an academic perspective. Just my opinion.

Reactions: chroix
Everything is that much more difficult when you don’t have resources. I’ve read some reports where they said it took 5x the time for people below the poverty line to accomplish simple tasks like going to the grocery or doing laundry simply because of the basic constraints of being poor (no car, need to find a ride, etc). I can’t imagine how much more difficult getting help with mental health issues is when you’re in that situation.

Exactly. I actually went into psychotherapy vs. psychology because psychology doesn’t deal in those human conditions. Simply studying the brain cannot explain what people are going through.

And the worst parts for a poor person are even more extreme. When you suffer from a negative mental condition of any kind, it worsens with pressure. So if your kids are being bullied, you have a car that’s barely getting place to place, you can’t find solid work (in pay and status), your bills are piling up, these issues culminate in worsening your mental condition to the point where you sometimes cannot physically move.

And if you’re someone who philosophically believes in hard determinism vs. libertarianism, then you’ll understand they can’t even do much about it. It’s very sad and although I don’t want to take away from what anyone goes through (including wealthy people), it’s better to go through these issues with your basic needs met than not, obviously.

Oh no a man with 200M+ said he almost committed suicide. Now imagine the day to day for an average American. I do not feel bad for him at all. He got paid 45 mill to not even dribble.

edit ok I thought this was the ole cop out excuse. I’ve lost my grandparent and dad on the same day so I know it sucks.
If I were a mod I’d ban you permanently. You’re a sad individual.

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
Oh no a man with 200M+ said he almost committed suicide. Now imagine the day to day for an average American. I do not feel bad for him at all. He got paid 45 mill to not even dribble.

edit ok I thought this was the ole cop out excuse. I’ve lost my grandparent and dad on the same day so I know it sucks.
You should be put in timeout for a few weeks. On second thought make that a few months.

Just shows that anyone can be impacted by depression. I hope Wall has great success with the Clippers and wins a title and wish him thr best. He averages 19 and 9 for his career when healthy. He would have made the HOF for sure if not for injuries.

Well I certainly did not heal when my parents passed. In fact, I felt like an orphan. I was completely lost.
I still talk to them every day during my prayer time.
My father was diagnosed with Louie Body (sp) disease. This disease turned him 100% opposite of his true self.
He struggled with blindness due to glaucoma for the last 30 years of his life. He felt totally useless having to depend on others for him to get around. This was a man that worked 2 full time jobs his entire adult life.
After dad passed, I stopped by mom's house every day coming home from work and a lot of times on the way too work. She still started her "chores" every morning at 4:30 am and worked all day long. Her house was spotless, but she could always find something to clean. When cancer struck, she still wouldn't be stopped. But ultimately, cancer won, but she went on her terms. Going by the home place, still brings a tear to my eye. We grew up on that property, farming, tobacco, horses and live stock. So many times I would just walk around the property and just admire the peace. Most of the time I would see deer, fox, wild turkey and rabbits. Sure would like to be a kid again riding the tractor with dad putting up hay

Sounds like you had an awesome childhood man. Good parents are awesome. But it’s hard to let them go when it’s time. I miss my mom everyday. But it’s “better”. Some days still suck, especially holidays and anniversaries. But that’s just how it rolls.

Sorry for you losses. I understand.

Good to see Wall open up about the struggles he's unfortunately had and hopefully will overcome. In a world where some complain that men need to be overly manly and aggressive for some unknown reason, it's important to note that it's completely okay to talk about this stuff because it may help someone else.

As far as bad takes go, Rupp'sRunt is now in the Hall of Fame alongside the guy on the Paddock who said women weep too much when a school shooting happens.

Just monitoring everything, I’m gonna say this too. Yes wealthy people have problems and wealthy people can have a debilitating mental condition. And yes Mental depression and illness can manifest in many ways regardless

However, if you don’t think there’s a huge benefit to having these conditions + being wealthy you’re in the wrong place. As bad as a negative mental state and condition can be for anyone including a wealthy person, try having these conditions with no way of getting ahead or paying your bills while worrying about kids and family. Yes that makes the condition worse. And yes being wealthy gives you a giant step ahead with regard to treatment and support systems. Plus, your condition is not made worse by worrying about your kids being bullied for lack of clothing and resources, it’s not made worse by having to live month to month in financial survival mode, and it’s not made worse by wondering if you’re going to be able to sustain yourself and your family with no way out.

Having severe mental illness/ depressions plus being poor is far worse than having those conditions and being wealthy. Of course we should understand that many wealthy people are operating in their world the same as a poor person in theirs, so the difference might only be understood from the outside looking in. But the reality is, if I’m going to be depressed, you damn straight I’d rather be wealthy as a way to avoid the compounding problems being broke can bring.

At least it would buy a lotta numbing stuff. Which isn’t healthy. But it’s amazing how many successful folks suffer from depression. I read a story, can’t remember the guys name, but successful MMA fighter, in prime shape and financially secure, wife, kids, said he woke up one morning and it just hit him like a ton of bricks. And too him years to fight out of it. The brain is incredibly amazing, powerful, and scary.

John is my all time favorite cat. I hate to hear him struggling and glad to see he's coming out of the other side a better man. Clichés become such for a reason. Sometime what doesn't kill you actually does make you stronger.

John is my all time favorite cat. I hate to hear him struggling and glad to see he's coming out of the other side a better man. Clichés become such for a reason. Sometime what doesn't kill you actually does make you stronger.

It does scar and bruise you though. And sometimes those scars remind and the bruises hurt.

a lot of people think depression is something you can “just stop being”. You can’t. And sometimes it’s cyclical.

The key I’ve found is. Rest when you need it. But keep going.

• Love
Reactions: jmw23712
It does scar and bruise you though. And sometimes those scars remind and the bruises hurt.

a lot of people think depression is something you can “just stop being”. You can’t. And sometimes it’s cyclical.

The natural remedy for “depression” that I’ve found through working with it, and working with others that have it. Change it up. Do something uncomfortable. Change your city. Change your state. Change your job. Change something and what happens is your mind becomes so consumed with the excitement, it reduces the depression. It’s just hard for some to make those kinds of jumps, but it’s better to do those things than medicate.

The natural remedy for “depression” that I’ve found through working with it, and working with others that have it. Change it up. Do something uncomfortable. Change your city. Change your state. Change your job. Change something and what happens is your mind becomes so consumed with the excitement, it reduces the depression. It’s just hard for some to make those kinds of jumps, but it’s better to do those things than medicate.
I agree. I’ve been avoiding meds unless I absolutely feel I have no other option. Change helps for sure. I change up my route to work the other days. Adds five minutes to my commute but goodness has it helped a bit.

I agree. I’ve been avoiding meds unless I absolutely feel I have no other option. Change helps for sure. I change up my route to work the other days. Adds five minutes to my commute but goodness has it helped a bit.

Even little things help. But if you can, move to Florida and meet new people / new women / establish a new identity. You’ll feel new after a year.

I’m not actually joking.

Agreed completely. Depending on the severity of it, it can take a long time and a lot of work to become functional and happy again.

You seriously suck.

And I'll add exercise. I've battled depression and alcohol, and the single best thing I did was exercise. Now, oddly enough, I had an active job and not a couch potato, but doing actuall running, pedaling and deliberate working out was fantastic therapy. It was amazing how productive your mental process becomes during and after a good workout. Your thoughts become so productive, and the exact opposite of those thoughts you have just laying in bed for hours at night. (Plus the added sleep quality is amazingly positive to your mental health) To anyone struggling, I almost guarantee actual physical exercise will help you. Now, that's for me and most people. I have no clue what a serious or world class athlete does for depression if the don't get that kinda benefit from exercise.

I bet your a pussy

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
Agreed completely. Depending on the severity of it, it can take a long time and a lot of work to become functional and happy again.
I've literally lived with constant depression from the time we rotated home in 2009. At least I got diagnosed with PTSD so the government sends me money every month. But I still work. I've tried every medication know to man. I've literally taken 3 Xanax bars, as prescribed by the VA, and it calms down for a bit but I get get no sleep. I don't know why but fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan, killing people and carrying my friends body parts, finding dead bodies every day.

Every night I may sleep 2-4 hours before the nightmares wake me up. It feels like shit. I'm finally going to see a psychiatrist so maybe they can help. I just not have felt right since my first deployment. I've said it before but I think I lost my soul over there. Sorry for the book.

I've literally lived with constant depression from the time we rotated home in 2009. At least I got diagnosed with PTSD so the government sends me money every month. But I still work. I've tried every medication know to man. I've literally taken 3 Xanax bars, as prescribed by the VA, and it calms down for a bit but I get get no sleep. I don't know why but fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan, killing people and carrying my friends body parts, finding dead bodies every day.

Every night I may sleep 2-4 hours before the nightmares wake me up. It feels like shit. I'm finally going to see a psychiatrist so maybe they can help. I just not have felt right since my first deployment. I've said it before but I think I lost my soul over there. Sorry for the book.
I appreciate your honesty and candor. and I appreciate your service

I’m sorry you’re struggling as well. At least the VA seeems to be somewhat helping you.

PTSD sucks. And while it’s most associated with folks like you who have honorably served and seen hell, anyone that has been through bad events can have it. Even a bad car accident can bring it one. And sadly PTSD is different for everyone who goes through it.

I sometimes still have bad dreams about my parents from when I was caregiving. About how one of them is some how back and in bad shape. Or how I’ve been gone the amount of time they’ve been dead and they’ve been neglected for that time frame. Now granted it’s not as constant anymore and they aren’t violent in nature per se but for awhile it was killing my sleep. I’d wake up in a panic. Sometimes I still wake up thinking one of them is yelling for help. So I can’t imagine what yours does to you.

I hate that for you. And cognitive therapy is supposed to be a bit help for that level of PTSD.
Hugs to you man.

Sorry man. I hope you can find something that offers some sort of relief. Terrible.

Reactions: michaeluk26

just can't imagine the sights and the horrors you had to see and encounter
I have heard Vietnam vets talk about their experience and it was horrible
Hopefully, you can get some help and some how regain a sense of normalcy....what ever that is now days

Reactions: michaeluk26
A change for change sake won't cure anything permanently.

No of course not. But it helps. Just helps the brain to process new information which in turns helps with the way the brain functions and is structured.
It's like going to the beach for a week but then the "stuff" you were getting away from is still waiting for you. It's a temporary fix not unlike drugs, promiscuity, materialism, likes on social media, climbing the corporate ladder, and etc.

For people dealing with depression, getting to and dealing with the root cause is the solution.

People with success and money still have depression because they lack identity of who they really are. They're not their job (whether an athlete, entertainer, business mogul, doctor, government leader and etc.) nor their bank accounts.

People without money are overwhelmed with the stressor of not having money but they also are seeking something that doesn't mean all that much.

It's like going to the beach for a week but then the "stuff" you were getting away from is still waiting for you. It's a temporary fix not unlike drugs, promiscuity, materialism, likes on social media, climbing the corporate ladder, and etc.

For people dealing with depression, getting to and dealing with the root cause is the solution.

People with success and money still have depression because they lack identity of who they really are. They're not their job (whether an athlete, entertainer, business mogul, doctor, government leader and etc.) nor their bank accounts.

People without money are overwhelmed with the stressor of not having money but they also are seeking something that doesn't mean all that much.
All true. And didn’t mean to imply it isnt. Been there.

But I try to find little ways to change up my routine when I feel a wave trying to creep in. And when you live with it, it becomes part of you and you can tell when certain things will make it even worse.

Lol a bunch of attacks on my character that could potentially lead me to being suicidal. This board is very hypocritical

• Wow

This is complete nonsense for the most part. Recreating your life and altering your entire environment can be extremely beneficial to the point where many undiagnosable / or even diagnosable symptoms can literally evaporate. Obviously it’s not a one size fits all, but to compare environmental change agents to drugs as a “temporary fix” is one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever read on this board.

Your environment can create huge problems for your life. You do not look past your environmental factors as a temporary fix lol. Where on earth are you getting this? Again, nothing is a one size fits all, but there are many reasons why environmental factors play a very significant role in healing processes for many causes of mental discomfort or even diagnosable problems.

And why are you saying rich people have depression “because “ they can’t identify with who they are? Each individual is different, that includes wealthy people. They could be depressed for many reasons, none of which have to be an identity crisis.

This is what I mean when it comes to mental health. If you’re not trained in this, you really should not throw opinions around. And if you are trained in it, you need to pick a better college and go back. You’re not even close.

Last edited:

I’ve had a profile 13+ years and have 26 multiples? That’s a pretty crazy accusation
Nobody is laughing with you.

Funny, you didn't have a reply for my other two quotes saying what a disgusting human being you are, yet you reply to negate this? I guess you don't disagree with the dozens of comments here calling you out on your constant horrible takes.

Man you are one miserable human being.

ADVERTISEMENT