ADVERTISEMENT

John Pelphrey Needs to Be in Lexington

Well, Pelphrey is certainly qualified to teach a 6'7" kid how to NOT play defense on a 3/4-court inbounds pass at the end of the most important game of his career.
Meh. I am convinced that our guys were scared shitless of fouling Laettner, if they even got remotely close to him. That goes double for Pelphrey. It was some of the worst officiating you’ll ever see.

It’s absolutely mind boggling we had two chances to win that game. One at the end of regulation and the other in OT. That’s a testament to how much FIRE and PRIDE that team played with and how damn good of a coach Pitino was at UK. Especially in that game. He coached an amazing game and out coached K definitively IMO.

We were charged with so many phantom fouls in that game. Pelphrey was hit with two or three, Mash four and several for Martinez. That’s just off the top of my head.

One ref single handedly took us completely out of the game in the first half. It continued into the second half and OT as well. The refs bailed duke out time after time.

I’m also convinced that we deserved to win that game and that with an even, fair whistle, we win that game going away. In regulation, nonetheless.

Last edited:
Meh. I am convinced that our guys were scared shitless of fouling Laettner, if they even got remotely close to him. That goes double for Pelphrey. It was some of the worst officiating you’ll ever see.

It’s absolutely mind boggling we had two chances to win that game. One at the end of regulation and the other in OT.

We were charged with so many phantom fouls in that game. Pelphrey was hit with two or three, Mash four and several for Martinez. That’s just off the top of my head.

One ref single handedly took us completely out of the game in the first half. It continued into the second half and OT as well. The refs bailed duke out time after time.

I’m also convinced that we deserved to win that game and that with an even, fair whistle, we win that game going away. In regulation, nonetheless.
This is why college basketball and sports in general suck, because the refs, umps etc. can swing a game on crap calls, biased calls etc.

As I have aged and have become wiser its blatantly obvious.

Pelph can be a very bristly guy, and that will be his Achilles heel as a head coach. But he is an excellent assistant.
All I know when he was at Florida he was voted the best assistant coach in America and was Donavans head recruiter. My point is if the criteria to be a coach at UK is to have some connection with the program it won’t happen.

Unless he’s a long time family friend of Carl’s, don’t hold your breath.
caddyshack-c_1024x1024.jpg

No way no how. He was fired from Arkansas for treating his players like crap and being abusive. The last thing the Kentucky program needs is someone like that around it. If he was a good assistant Donovan would have taken him with him to the nba as well.
I’ve never seen or read that anywhere before. If he was abusive I couldn’t imagine Florida or Alabama letting him be on staff for multiple years.

Reactions: Kybluedude
This is why college basketball and sports in general suck, because the refs, umps etc. can swing a game on crap calls, biased calls etc.

As I have aged and have become wiser its blatantly obvious.

That's why I watch tennis. Officials have essentially zero impact, its nice to know the outcome is being solely determined on the court. Probably true of other no contact sports as well (golf, other racquet sports).

Can anyone back up what was said about Pelphery being abusive? I’ve tried to find info on that and I can’t. That’s a big accusation to make against one of the unforgettable’s, so I had to look for it. I couldn’t imagine Billy Donovon allowing someone to work with him at Marshall and Florida for a total of 12 years that was abusive.

Reactions: Kybluedude
He was, just saw him recently at Cracker Barrel, so, technically he's been back in Lexington...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT