ADVERTISEMENT

Jemarl Baker Discusses Commitment to UK

Apr 1, 2011
Below is a link to a video where Baker discusses why he chose UK. For those who are lazy he states that Cal told him that UK is a family atmosphere where he will be forced to work hard every day and develop by focusing on his current strengths/weaknesses. Jemarl stated that he's a big fan of college basketball and that he's extremely aware of UK's program due to the fact he watched them a lot last season. Stated that he grew up in a competitive family, which in turn has made him an extremely competitive person in everything he does. When asked about what number he wants to wear, he stated number 3. Hopefully, he'll follow in the footsteps of other players who have worn that number; Ulis, Noel, Jones, etc.

http://mycn2.com/kstv/jemarl-baker-...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Go Big Blue!!!

I wanna see Baker go Steph Curry on some nuckas next year and bomb some 26 footers in his limited 7 minutes per game playing time.

Reactions: Stonewall12
I'm really excited about him. Hopefully he can get some run next year. He strikes me as a guy that's here multiple years that has a huge impact in his later seasons.

This is the type of kid UK hasn't had since Miller/Liggins. If he stays 3-4 years, it will be hard for really good freshman to put him on the bench.

I'm really excited about him. Hopefully he can get some run next year. He strikes me as a guy that's here multiple years that has a huge impact in his later seasons.

This is the type of kid UK hasn't had since Miller/Liggins. If he stays 3-4 years, it will be hard for really good freshman to put him on the bench.

I just hope he bucks the trend and actually stays more than 2 years. I don't see what's so bad about staying at UK and getting an education and playing for championships at the greatest basketball school in the country, especially if you're an average player.

I just hope he bucks the trend and actually stays more than 2 years. I don't see what's so bad about staying at UK and getting an education and playing for championships at the greatest basketball school in the country, especially if you're an average player.
The problem is cal doesn't sell kids on being 3-4 yr players. Tyler ulis was a hell of a player, but I'm sure part of cals pitch is i can help you reach your dreams the quickest. Unless kids are from ky, grew up bleeding blue and are a low 4 to high 3 star player most guys will feel they have failed if at uk more than two years. Guys like wcs are few and far between. It's the brand that cal has built, and obviously a double edged sword. That said, I think he will be at uk till he's atleast a junior simply because he will be recruited over by higher talent. He has to come in and make some kind of impact since cal recruit guys in 2018 ranked higher than him and will start over him.

Reactions: _Rooster
I am excited to get him. I wonder why he didn't follow Martin to mizzou?

#3 Rex Chapman
Weight training and diet as well as practice competition will do wonders for him. Wait until he lines up against Diallo and then Vanderbilt switches off on him. You simply cannot learn except by experiencing it and then adjusting. He certainly has a great quick release. great get!

Reactions: On-On-UK
The problem is cal doesn't sell kids on being 3-4 yr players. Tyler ulis was a hell of a player, but I'm sure part of cals pitch is i can help you reach your dreams the quickest. Unless kids are from ky, grew up bleeding blue and are a low 4 to high 3 star player most guys will feel they have failed if at uk more than two years. Guys like wcs are few and far between. It's the brand that cal has built, and obviously a double edged sword. That said, I think he will be at uk till he's atleast a junior simply because he will be recruited over by higher talent. He has to come in and make some kind of impact since cal recruit guys in 2018 ranked higher than him and will start over him.
He is a low four star recruit being in the top 75-80 range. Ulis, Liggins and Miller were all significantly higher ranked. Unless he blows up in a couple of years, he's at least a three year guy.

I agree to a point. Yes, Cal is all about getting them prepared for the NBA and achieving their dreams as quickly as possible. It's now as if you're a failure at UK and other schools if you DON'T leave early for the NBA whether you're ready or not. This is a NCAA/NBA problem and I've said it a million times - the NBA would get a better product, more mature player and ultimately a better investment if they would institute a policy of at least 2 years removed from HS before you're eligible.

Guys like wcs are few and far between.

3886984323_c2a160edde_b.jpg

Yes, our team needs rare cats to stay around longer!

I don't . If he is only here for 2 years then that means he has been a great player. IMO he is a 3 year player though . He will be our leading 3 pt maker next year for sure though as his stroke is the best Cal has brought into UK with the exception of Lamb maybe.

The important thing is what the team will ask of him next year, they don't need him to score 15 plus or handle the ball a ton. they need him to make the open three to keep the defense from helping as much on drives by Green, Diallo, and Vando.

I am excited to get him. I wonder why he didn't follow Martin to mizzou?

That's what I was wondering. And why wasn't we recruiting him before he committed to Cal. Did Martin even try to re-recruit him after going to Mizzou?

I don't . If he is only here for 2 years then that means he has been a great player. IMO he is a 3 year player though . He will be our leading 3 pt maker next year for sure though as his stroke is the best Cal has brought into UK with the exception of Lamb maybe.

No doubt he's a very good perimeter shooter, but I seem to remember some players named Murray and Monk in addition to Lamb.

It's not like we need huge things from him in his first season.If he could just come in and hit an occasional 3 it would help because we will see a ton of zone.

Isaac Humphries ring a bell? That guy had like two productive games in his career and he bolted after two years to "go pro." What a joke.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT