ADVERTISEMENT

Jeff 'UK hater' Goodman joins Jack Pilgram & Shawn Smith in less than an hour! -On youtube-

I really would like to hear the story behind that. Jones and his crew finally started addressing the bad seasons, but never called for Cal's job or got personal with it. There has to be something off-air behind this.
MJ was more than fair, he never said anything that wasn't true. Of course the truth probably wasn't fun for Cal to hear, but you have to be a serious narcissist to feel the critisism wasn't deserved.

Cal brought all that criticism on himself, he needs to own it.

I really would like to hear the story behind that. Jones and his crew finally started addressing the bad seasons, but never called for Cal's job or got personal with it. There has to be something off-air behind this.

Cal didn't think the criticisms were fair. These words came directly from Seth Greenburg. Now why would Seth tell Matt Jones that he was being unfair to Cal? When has he or why would he ever listen to KSR?

Yeah, Goodman is an arrogant and "bitter toward Calipari reporter" with an over-inflated sense of his own ego who loves to hear himself talk. He's made his talking points and he won't be moved.

He does make some legitimate points, if I'm trying to see it from a neutral standpoint.

#1 We are young. I agree with him. You really never know for sure what you've got in a bunch of freshmen. We've seen it all- guys who lived up to every bit of the hype, guys who were hyped but weren't even ready at all, and even guys who weren't getting the accolades but proved to be ready when the time came. So, I would agree back in June/July we didn't know. It's just a fact. That's why I was so encouraged by what I saw in Canada. Those guys all did everything we need from them.

#2 We lack a pure point. He's right about this, also, in my opinion. These guys are all scoring guards who mostly create for themselves first. However, looking at the team assist numbers in Canada would tell me that the team will be able to overcome that. In most cases, guys' pg skills are all about willingness to pass. I saw guys who were willing passers and did a great job of playmaking for others. So, I'm not worried about this lack of a pure point.

I disagree with him about the luck angle. I'm not saying Calipari and UK didn't find some good fortune in the return of Reeves and the addition of Mitchell due to Huggins' firing. But what does the "grade" actually mean? To me the bottom line outcome is where you base the grade for the team. So, you think Cal got lucky and that isn't skill or hard work. Fine. Make a caveat in your analysis. But the bottom line is this: Antonio Reeves and Tre Mitchell are on the team. If you are evaluating teams for the upcoming season, you have to evaluate UK with those 2 players on the team. Just because it took a stroke of luck or a miracle of sorts to add them to this roster doesn't mean they're not on the team.

So, my thought here is Goodman is being a bit childish and using some semantics with his off-season "grade" of C-. He admits in this interview that he doesn't count the addition of Reeves, Mitchell, or Ivisic in the grade. He doesn't count Reeves and Mitchell because he views those as luck. He doesn't give any credence for Ivisic because he's "heard" some things from certain scouts, a mixed bag. Clearly, we're not talking about Ivisic playing on an NBA roster this season- I doubt he would be ready for that. That's why he withdrew and came to UK. He wants to get ready. But that doesn't mean he can't contribute in college basketball. Sounds to me like the knocks on him are mostly about remaining under control, and I don't doubt Calipari and staff can utilize him within a team concept.

I'm not worried about Goodman. He's saying exactly what I expected. I don't want this group to be too highly rated too soon. I want them to earn it. I'm still being cautious myself after the last several years. I'd bet most UK fans are wanting to see before they believe.

UKs signing class alone warrants a higher grade than C minus to any intelligent and unbiased person. Goodman is neither of those things.

UKs signing class alone warrants a higher grade than C minus to any intelligent and unbiased person. Goodman is neither of those things.
Agreed. The recruiting class alone is enough to raise the grade to somewhere around a B. He's just being obtuse.

The fact that he dismisses the return of Reeves and the addition of Mitchell to the team as "luck" and doesn't factor those into the grade is all I need to hear to completely write him off. Whether it was lucky or not does not change the fact that they're on the team. The offseason grade should tell us who is sitting well for the upcoming season and he said in this interview that those 2 players addressed the 2 most pressing needs of the team. So, with those 2 guys added, the grade should be an A. He just refuses to give an A because he thinks it was luck, which is nonsense.

Goodman: "Cal told me I was banned from Memphis" and "Cal tried to get me fired from several places".

Does anybody doubt these two quotes? I don't. Cal gets his nose bent out of shape and cuts anyone out that doesn't kiss his ass.

Ok.

If I'm coaching & someone like a Jeff Goodman is hanging around I'd certainly do the same. You're ludicrous to think there was not good reason.

To be fair, the meat of our signing class signed back in november. The only freshman we got that looks like they could be a significant contributor after the season is Ivisic. And he’s kind of a question mark.

I do think our off season is slightly better than some are giving credit for. It started really bad but Cal and the staff recovered. And yes Mitchell’s addition was extremely lucky. But it doesn’t really matter how it happened just that it happened. I think jettisoning Wheeler is a huge positive too. We also managed to fill the last 2 scholarships with guys that should at least be able to contribute to competitive practices in Hart and Burks.

We managed to retain Ugo and Reeves despite other programs best efforts to poach them.

And i don’t see how you can criticize Cal in the past for neglecting outside shooting and spacing and not give credit for hiring a guy in Welsh known for his emphasis on shooting analytics and improvement. Welsh addresses one of THE MAJOR weaknesses many of Cal’s teams have had.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Yeah he said he COULD be the #1 pick. Incredibly high praise!

If this team has three Top-10 picks this year, which is very, very plausible (Wagner, Edwards, Bradshaw), PLUS proven supporting pieces like Reeves and Mitchell, and then supporting pieces that are as good/talented/versatile as Ivisic, Sheppard, Dillingham, Thiero, and Ugo, I don't know how you don't (Goodman) believe this team is top-10 and a legit potential Final Four favorite.

Ok.

If I'm coaching & someone like a Jeff Goodman is hanging around I'd certainly do the same. You're ludicrous to think there was not good reason.
No, you don't get what I'm saying. It’s Cal's style to cut you out if you dare critisize him, just ask Matt Jones, who did nothing but state facts respectfully.

If this team has three Top-10 picks this year, which is very, very plausible (Wagner, Edwards, Bradshaw), PLUS proven supporting pieces like Reeves and Mitchell, and then supporting pieces that are as good/talented/versatile as Ivisic, Sheppard, Dillingham, Thiero, and Ugo, I don't know how you don't (Goodman) believe this team is top-10 and a legit potential Final Four favorite.

Vegas does believe it. And in my opinion, they know a lot more than any sports writer.

014Fjlw.png

Simple. Because having draft picks doesn’t mean crap when it comes to accomplishments in college.

Reactions: G-PIP
Simple. Because having draft picks doesn’t mean crap when it comes to accomplishments in college.

Nope but having TALENT does and if you try to spin it otherwise somehow I'd love to see it.

Goodman (who you seem to be agreeing with throughout this thread) thinks both Edwards and Bradshaw could be the #1 pick. Wagner is 100% a first round pick, almost certainly lottery.

Cal's record with at least 3 first-round picks on the roster:

2010: 35-3
2012: 38-2
2015: 38-1
2017: 32-6
2019: 30-7

Cal's combined record when the #1 pick plays for him?

31-1 (Final Four)
38-2 (Title Game)
35-3 (Elite Eight)
38-2 (National Champs)
38-1 (Final Four)

180 Wins
9 Losses

Still think having top-end NBA draft talent doesn't translate to NCAA success??

Last edited:
No, you don't get what I'm saying. It’s Cal's style to cut you out if you dare critisize him, just ask Matt Jones, who did nothing but state facts respectfully.

I understood. Matt was butthurt because he used to get recruiting info & blabbed a couple of times when he was not supposed to hevquit getting info. He felt jaded & pouted.

Reactions: gharding07
Nope but having TALENT does and if you try to spin it otherwise somehow I'd love to see it.

Goodman (who you seem to be agreeing with throughout this thread) thinks both Edwards and Bradshaw could be the #1 pick. Wagner is 100% a first round pick, almost certainly lottery.

31-1 (Final Four)
38-2 (Title Game)
35-3 (Elite Eight)
38-2 (National Champs)
38-1 (Final Four)

180 Wins
9 Losses

I never agreed with Goodman, so I'm not sure where you're going with that. I literally said he was trolling.
In the second half of Cal's career, he has not faired very well with the talent he has had.
Don't make me prove it again and for God's sake, don't get all intoxicated on what you saw in Canada, haven't you learned by now?
You're not winning crap with freshmen in todays game, maybe you'll figure ot out after one more failed attempt.

I understood. Matt was butthurt because he used to get recruiting info & blabbed a couple of times when he was not supposed to hevquit getting info. He felt jaded & pouted.
Man, that’s just false. Matt isn’t upset at all, I don't know where you clowns get that crap from and that had nothing to do with Cal shutting him out.

Agreed. The recruiting class alone is enough to raise the grade to somewhere around a B. He's just being obtuse.

The fact that he dismisses the return of Reeves and the addition of Mitchell to the team as "luck" and doesn't factor those into the grade is all I need to hear to completely write him off. Whether it was lucky or not does not change the fact that they're on the team. The offseason grade should tell us who is sitting well for the upcoming season and he said in this interview that those 2 players addressed the 2 most pressing needs of the team. So, with those 2 guys added, the grade should be an A. He just refuses to give an A because he thinks it was luck, which is nonsense.
He gave almost every other team I’ve seen a B to an A+. Like teams that didn’t really bring in anyone and lost a ton too. Like UNC he gave them an A. Basically that the subtractions would be good enough to make them better. I still think Love carried them to the success they had. But we shall see.

31-1 (Final Four)
38-2 (Title Game)
35-3 (Elite Eight)
38-2 (National Champs)
38-1 (Final Four)

180 Wins
9 Losses

There’s no doubt in my mind that with young talent we will be good. I’ve seen it too many times.

Me either. He’s never right and has annoying looking face and voice? Like a face only a mother could love.
Haha. Well, I liked how he defended UK against Goodman's garbage takes in that video. Goodman was just being an ass and trying to play the cool cat role. Seemed like Pilgrim was trying to be professional, but recognized things haven't been good the last few years.

I never agreed with Goodman, so I'm not sure where you're going with that. I literally said he was trolling.
In the second half of Cal's career, he has not faired very well with the talent he has had.
Don't make me prove it again and for God's sake, don't get all intoxicated on what you saw in Canada, haven't you learned by now?
You're not winning crap with freshmen in todays game, maybe you'll figure ot out after one more failed attempt.

Fair enough on the first part, I was confusing you with someone else so I apologize, you have not been agreeing with him throughout the thread.

I completely disagree with you that you can't win with Freshman anymore, I just think you need at least 3 top-end Freshman if you are going to go anywhere, and it needs to be bolstered with some experience- but talent at the end of the day is what gets you there.

Duke literally just went to the Final Four last year with 4 of their top 6 players being Freshman, including 3 guys that started most of the year.

Lately, top recruits have just been spreading out more and going to random places, college basketball hasn't seen a collection of Freshman talent like we currently all in one place in a VERY long time.

This team is absolutely, 100% talented enough to win a championship.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Fair enough on the first part, I was confusing you with someone else so I apologize, you have not been agreeing with him throughout the thread.

I completely disagree with you that you can't win with Freshman anymore, I just think you need at least 3 top-end Freshman if you are going to go anywhere, and it needs to be bolstered with some experience- but talent at the end of the day is what gets you there.

Duke literally just went to the Final Four last year with 4 of their top 6 players being Freshman, including 3 guys that started most of the year.

Lately, top recruits have just been spreading out more and going to random places, college basketball hasn't seen a collection of Freshman talent like we currently all in one place in a VERY long time.

This team is absolutely, 100% talented enough to win a championship.
Duke got beat in the 2nd round by Tennessee, they didn't make the FF.

If you're talking about 2 years ago, that was K's farewell tour. Also, they only had 3 freshmen, one was Banchero. But they also had Junior Wendell Moore, Senior Joey Baker, Sophomore Mark Williams and sophomore Jeremy Roach. We will have a lot more freshmen to depend on and honestly, John Calipari is no coach K. K has 5 titles for a reason.

Yeah, I think this team could be talented enough, but by the time Cal gets these guys to blend as a true team, will we have too many losses to be a top 3 seed?

Again, I'm not going to get intoxicated by what they did in Canada. Those teams were not very good and I'm not so sure Cal trusts that style of play. Would you be the least bit surprised if Cal never runs that 5 out offense this season?

Remember what we saw in the Bahamas? They played an up and down style game, got to the regular season and he went back to his usual style.

Also, Cal's last few teams seemed to have some locker room issues, what's to say that trend doesn’t continue?

Duke got beat in the 2nd round by Tennessee, they didn't make the FF.

If you're talking about 2 years ago, that was K's farewell tour. Also, they only had 3 freshmen, one was Banchero. But they also had Junior Wendell Moore, Senior Joey Baker, Sophomore Mark Williams and sophomore Jeremy Roach. We will have a lot more freshmen to depend on and honestly, John Calipari is no coach K. K has 5 titles for a reason.

Yeah, I think this team could be talented enough, but by the time Cal gets these guys to blend as a true team, will we have too many losses to be a top 3 seed?

Again, I'm not going to get intoxicated by what they did in Canada. Those teams were not very good and I'm not so sure Cal trusts that style of play. Would you be the least bit surprised if Cal never runs that 5 out offense this season?

Remember what we saw in the Bahamas? They played an up and down style game, got to the regular season and he went back to his usual style.

Also, Cal's last few teams seemed to have some locker room issues, what's to say that trend doesn’t continue?
It’s like Lucy getting Charlie Brown to kick the football with some of these people, lol .

My biggest gripe is his refusal to address the play in Canada at all, other than to decry the weak competition. So lazy. Because we all know, other programs tend to play the Warriors in these summer games. Our passing was superb in those games, and it is hard to imagine we are going to abandon that when the competition gets harder.

Jailhawks fan here. (Sorry.) I watched several UK summer games. Came away very impressed with UK’s scoring ability (at multiple positions), guard depth, and everyone’s unselfishness, especially after also watching KU’s summer games.

I think Kentucky would beat Kansas right now, and think Kentucky will beat an overrated KU team in November. KU wing Kevin McCullar better get his shot more consistent, play less “hero ball”, and, per Self, better stop letting other teams’ trash-talking get in his head. (Both he & Jalen Wilson were over-emotional players, but thankfully Wilson really got it under control by year’s end. McCullar isn’t near the offensive player that Wilson was.) iMO, KU played noticeably harder competition than UK did (…just my opinion). I know that’s gonna ruffle some feathers, but I call it as I see it. It wasn’t just Hield & Gordon who were abusing KU. Everybody on that team was hitting over 50% against us. And KU will absolutely hang their hat on guard defense this year. And, to be fair to my Hawks, we were playing brand-new, inexperienced players and line-ups throughout the game, even during crunch time, because Bill was experimenting a lot. And we didn’t have Arterio Morris, at all, the third game (minor leg injury). He would’ve been a difference-maker at driving the paint. He’s surprised everyone. He wasn’t even a starter at Texas, and all his stats were only mediocre there, so props to Self for recognizing his quickness and talent. (Texas was BY FAR the most offensively deep team in the Big 12, and played well together. The Big12 was just ridiculously talented, so Texas lost some games they shouldn’t have, but were absolutely, overall, a top-10 team. Super cocky, super talented, and thankfully beaten by Miami. Morris has already shown flashes of that cockiness…

But I digress…

Bill is a great Xs & Os coach, and he has LOTS of good-but-not-great pieces to work with, but …your Kentucky team looks more talented (scoring) and smarter (BB IQ, unselfish).

I agree with Goidman that KU PG DaJuan Harris is amazing. He doesn’t score points, but he is ridiculous. His no-look passes and confidence are awesome.

Be wary of reporters who are SUPER high on KU, cuz I don’t see it (…yet). Be wary of Goodman who may be dismissing UK’s super talent and team play.

Ps, Sheppard looks legit.

Pss, “Pay Heed, All Who Enter, Beware of the Phurph” (New KU Australian freshman Johnny FURPHY just arrived in Lawrence. (Hasn’t practiced yet.) Bill is all grins when talking about him. He’s a string-bean, 6’7” rim-attacking guard with a smooth shot. But in all reality, we’ll hafta wait & see. May be a non-factor. His competition hasn’t been good, but he has good coaches who have seen what real talent is and say he’s every bit as good as several Australian NBA players. Bill’s told the KU trainers to make Furphy a special project of theirs — to get him a LOT stronger, because he’s special.)

Yeah, so anyway…

…Kentucky should be ranked higher, even higher than KU, and will likely beat KU (imo), and Goodman should’ve watched the summer games more closely. I hope Cal doesn’t over-coach UK, and I hope Bill can coach-up KU.

Best of luck.

You’ve got the offensive talent and depth. And your defense will get there. You have the defensive pieces.

This MAY be UK’s year.

This team just looks different.

Just convince the media, one game at a time

EDIT: I disagree with Goodman’s take that UK would be much better, now, had they gotten Dickinson instead of Tre Mitchell, and that Dickinson is a great defender, and that Dickinson is an amazing 3-point shooter. Yes, Dickinson is good and shot over 40%, but he didn’t take a large number of outside shots, and Bill doesn’t like his bigs to shoot a lot outside, and Bill has said, multiple times to the media already, that Hunter is really working to play at a faster pace (i.e., is way too slow still).

KU’s main strength will be team speed, both on defense and in transition, but Hunter looks to be a liability in that regard. Now, KU can always just play 6’6” small forward KJ Adams at the 5 (strong, fast, great jumper), but KJ’s bad at defending taller players, and Tre Mitchell looked outstanding this summer (shooting, running, IQ).

Last edited:
Reactions: gharding07
Jailhawks fan here. (Sorry.) I watched several UK summer games. Came away very impressed with UK’s scoring ability (at multiple positions), guard depth, and everyone’s unselfishness, especially after also watching KU’s summer games.

I think Kentucky would beat Kansas right now, and think Kentucky will beat an overrated KU team in November. KU wing Kevin McCullar better get his shot more consistent, play less “hero ball”, and, per Self, better stop letting other teams’ trash-talking get in his head. (Both he & Jalen Wilson were over-emotional players, but thankfully Wilson really got it under control by year’s end. McCullar isn’t near the offensive player that Wilson was.) iMO, KU played noticeably harder competition than UK did (…just my opinion). I know that’s gonna ruffle some feathers, but I call it as I see it. It wasn’t just Hield & Gordon who were abusing KU. Everybody on that team was hitting over 50% against us. And KU will absolutely hang their hat on guard defense this year. And, to be fair to my Hawks, we were playing brand-new, inexperienced players and line-ups throughout the game, even during crunch time, because Bill was experimenting a lot. And we didn’t have Arterio Morris, at all, the third game (minor leg injury). He would’ve been a difference-maker at driving the paint. He’s surprised everyone. He wasn’t even a starter at Texas, and all his stats were only mediocre there, so props to Self for recognizing his quickness and talent. (Texas was BY FAR the most offensively deep team in the Big 12, and played well together. The Big12 was just ridiculously talented, so Texas lost some games they shouldn’t have, but were absolutely, overall, a top-10 team. Super cocky, super talented, and thankfully beaten by Miami. Morris has already shown flashes of that cockiness…

But I digress…

Bill is a great Xs & Os coach, and he has LOTS of good-but-not-great pieces to work with, but …your Kentucky team looks more talented (scoring) and smarter (BB IQ, unselfish).

I agree with Goidman that KU PG DaJuan Harris is amazing. He doesn’t score points, but he is ridiculous. His no-look passes and confidence are awesome.

Be wary of reporters who are SUPER high on KU, cuz I don’t see it (…yet). Be wary of Goodman who may be dismissing UK’s super talent and team play.

Ps, Sheppard looks legit.

Pss, “Pay Heed, All Who Enter, Beware of the Phurph” (New KU Australian freshman Johnny FURPHY just arrived in Lawrence. (Hasn’t practiced yet.) Bill is all grins when talking about him. He’s a string-bean, 6’7” rim-attacking guard with a smooth shot. But in all reality, we’ll hafta wait & see. May be a non-factor. His competition hasn’t been good, but he has good coaches who have seen what real talent is and say he’s every bit as good as several Australian NBA players. Bill’s told the KU trainers to make Furphy a special project of theirs — to get him a LOT stronger, because he’s special.)

Yeah, so anyway…

…Kentucky should be ranked higher, even higher than KU, and will likely beat KU (imo), and Goodman should’ve watched the summer games more closely. I hope Cal doesn’t over-coach UK, and I hope Bill can coach-up KU.

Best of luck.

You’ve got the offensive talent and depth. And your defense will get there. You have the defensive pieces.

This MAY be UK’s year.

This team just looks different.

Just convince the media, one game at a time

EDIT: I disagree with Goodman’s take that UK would be much better, now, had they gotten Dickinson instead of Tre Mitchell, and that Dickinson is a great defender, and that Dickinson is an amazing 3-point shooter. Yes, Dickinson is good and shot over 40%, but he didn’t take a large number of outside shots, and Bill doesn’t like his bigs to shoot a lot outside, and Bill has said, multiple times to the media already, that Hunter is really working to play at a faster pace (i.e., is way too slow still).

KU’s main strength will be team speed, both on defense and in transition, but Hunter looks to be a liability in that regard. Now, KU can always just play 6’6” small forward KJ Adams at the 5 (strong, fast, great jumper), but KJ’s bad at defending taller players, and Tre Mitchell looked outstanding this summer (shooting, running, IQ).
The biggest weakness for this Kentucky team will be bench coaching, like practically every year since 2009.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT