ADVERTISEMENT

Jeff Sheppard describes Reed’s current status plus Travis speaks

Nicely said... thanks for posting.

Wow, what a decision.

Sign him up for Loyd's of London insurance, let the NIL flow... and he may be close to NBA dollars....

Let him develop a little more on D, and get to Caitlyn Clarke range on the 3s....

then he'll be well positioned for the NBA.....

As a senior!! :p

Nicely said... thanks for posting.

Wow, what a decision.

Sign him up for Loyd's of London insurance, let the NIL flow... and he may be close to NBA dollars....

Let him develop a little more on D, and get to Caitlyn Clarke range on the 3s....

then he'll be well positioned for the NBA.....

As a senior!! :p
He will make more than his rookie contract at Kentucky, the issue is every year he’s still here is one year that he’s not moving towards his second contract in the NBA which is where you can make generational wealth.

He will make more than his rookie contract at Kentucky, the issue is every year he’s still here is one year that he’s not moving towards his second contract in the NBA which is where you can make generational wealth.

Yeah, it's really just one year, or two years. It's clear this decision isn't easy, so it's safe to say that at most, we have him for one more year, if we're lucky.

But.. I will keep saying this.. you CAN jump to the NBA too early, and get swallowed up by a grown man league, and I think that could happen to Reed if he goes now. He'd be looked at as a franchise piece going in the lottery, and expected to win for his team TODAY, not 3 years from now. And I think that would be a problem for the Reed we saw last year. I think there's true benefits he can gain by coming back for a year.

Yeah, it's really just one year, or two years. It's clear this decision isn't easy, so it's safe to say that at most, we have him for one more year, if we're lucky.

But.. I will keep saying this.. you CAN jump to the NBA too early, and get swallowed up by a grown man league, and I think that could happen to Reed if he goes now. He'd be looked at as a franchise piece going in the lottery, and expected to win for his team TODAY, not 3 years from now. And I think that would be a problem for the Reed we saw last year. I think there's true benefits he can gain by coming back for a year.
I do think Reed does physically need to continue to grow, I think he has a great skill set but his body isn’t NBA level yet.

That’s coming from an unbiased place of opinion, not a “Kentucky homer wants Reed to stay” place.

I think one of the things that I couldn’t blame him for leaving would be if he got a promise from a good franchise that they’re drafting him if he’s available, some people have mentioned the Spurs, about the possibility of him being Wemby’s lead guard, sounds like a franchise duo to me.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Can't say I really like the "as of right now" from Perry. Hopefully not much to read into that and he meets with Pope and all good from there.
I wouldn't read anything into that comment at all. The kid just showed up to witness a press conference. He seems like someone who is all in. I took the comment more as he is waiting to talk to Pope and making sure Pope sees him as a fit and wants him here, which I obviously think he will.

I wouldn't read anything into that comment at all. The kid just showed up to witness a press conference. He seems like someone who is all in. I took the comment more as he is waiting to talk to Pope and making sure Pope sees him as a fit and wants him here, which I obviously think he will.
Yeah, I think that's probably it.

The Sheppards are a class act. Always have been.

I just feel that money is not an issue. Jeff and Stacy are well off financially. Reed is already making a lot of NIL money.

This is about whether they feel he is ready to move on to another chapter in his life in the NBA or if he wants to continue in college.

If it was only about money, he would have already declared.

I think all these early exits to the NBA are hurting more players than its helping. Agents are pushing kids to go before they're really ready because of the money they'll make off of them. College basketball needs to use its leverage (NIL) and make a rule that players who choose college must commit for 2 years. And no transfers allowed except under reasonable circumstances.

The league is no longer as grown as it used to be and I don’t think whatever bad team he goes to will be expected to win out of the gate .

The NBA is at an interesting place where there aren’t any true bust like we saw in the 90s and 2000s. I guess because the style of play is a lot more free and open . I saw a tweet the other day saying we have a throwback bust in Johnny Davis today lol

Reactions: 1war
The league is no longer as grown as it used to be and I don’t think whatever bad team he goes to will be expected to win out of the gate .

The NBA is at an interesting place where there aren’t any true bust like we saw in the 90s and 2000s. I guess because the style of play is is free . I saw a tweet the other day saying we have a throwback bust in Johnny Davis today lol

Well, more so if he was a top5 pick, as some thought he might have been a few weeks ago. When you're THAT high, you're expected to be a franchise piece. Not a bit player, not a 3rd option. But still think that sort of applies to anyone drafted in the top10. If you're in that range, The NBA team pretty much expects you to be ready, you aren't a project.

I ust saw a few games last year, where Reed really looked like he was lost by the physicality in front of him, and that will go from one or twice a month in college, to 3-4 times a WEEK in the NBA. If he goes before he's ready, the NBA could totally ruin his confidence for a few years, possibly longer.

I compared him to Herro recently. Herro, while probably not as polished at their respective points in their career... LOOKED like he was ready for the NBA competition. His confidence was off the charts. He was ready to compete with the NBA's best. Reed though, he looks to not quite be there yet. While Herro had that sort of Senior in highschool swagger.. Reed sort of comes off as the freshman who just got to the new campus from the Junior High. And tha's really not any way a slight to Reed.. he just seems like he needs a little more experience at this level of college, but also just life in general.

Well, more so if he was a top5 pick, as some thought he might have been a few weeks ago. When you're THAT high, you're expected to be a franchise piece. Not a bit player, not a 3rd option. But still think that sort of applies to anyone drafted in the top10. If you're in that range, The NBA team pretty much expects you to be ready, you aren't a project.

I ust saw a few games last year, where Reed really looked like he was lost by the physicality in front of him, and that will go from one or twice a month in college, to 3-4 times a WEEK in the NBA. If he goes before he's ready, the NBA could totally ruin his confidence for a few years, possibly longer.

I compared him to Herro recently. Herro, while probably not as polished at their respective points in their career... LOOKED like he was ready for the NBA competition. His confidence was off the charts. He was ready to compete with the NBA's best. Reed though, he looks to not quite be there yet. While Herro had that sort of Senior in highschool swagger.. Reed sort of comes off as the freshman who just got to the new campus from the Junior High. And tha's really not any way a slight to Reed.. he just seems like he needs a little more experience at this level of college, but also just life in general.
Well if he is drafted by the Spurs he wouldn’t have to be the “number 1 franchise piece”. I don’t know where his stock will end up if he enters but judging by how Spurs/NBA fans have reacted to Wemby teammates being too selfish they should consider a guy like Reed .

I just see him leaving because this seems to be seen as a historical weak draft and that doesn’t seem to the case for the next two drafts after this one especially at the top

Reactions: Bhad Rhabies
The Sheppards are a class act. Always have been.

I just feel that money is not an issue. Jeff and Stacy are well off financially. Reed is already making a lot of NIL money.

This is about whether they feel he is ready to move on to another chapter in his life in the NBA or if he wants to continue in college.

If it was only about money, he would have already declared.
I think another thing is there are a lot of good opportunities in the NBA right now. Chances to play on good franchises that have high draft picks and need guards.

It’s not just going to the draft to go flame out on the Pistons when you’re not some kind of magic player that can save a dumpster fire franchise.

There are some good franchises in need of a guard like Shep right now.

I want 3 more years lol, but I understand his decision and support him no matter what.

Yes. But….if you make that jump too soon then you may not have progressed as far when time for that second contract, possibly getting a much smaller one by going one year earlier. And as highly skilled Reed is, he is also not strong enough or quick enough (need to have one or the other) for grown men. I’m afraid he will get manhandled next year in NBA and not play much as a rookie.

Reactions: Bhad Rhabies
Yes. But….if you make that jump too soon then you may not have progressed as far when time for that second contract, possibly getting a much smaller one by going one year earlier. And as highly skilled Reed is, he is also not strong enough or quick enough (need to have one or the other) for grown men. I’m afraid he will get manhandled next year in NBA and not play much as a rookie.
I have similar concerns, but it will be hard to look a Spurs promise in the face and not take it thinking you will figure the details on how to succeed out when you get there.

I want him back here more than anybody. If I had access to the Craft checkbook I’d write him a 3 year/ 60 million contract and then go to jail for check forging lol.

Well if he is drafted by the Spurs he wouldn’t have to be the “number 1 franchise piece”. I don’t know where his stock will end up if he enters but judging by how Spurs/NBA fans have reacted to Wemby teammates being too selfish they should consider a guy like Reed .

I just see him leaving because this seems to be seen as a historical weak draft and that doesn’t seem to the case for the next two drafts after this one especially at the top

Oh yeah, the Spurs would be huge for him. Although, I don't know how much longer Pop has. But playing with soon-to-be the face of the league in Wemby? Yeah you take that.

Oh yeah, the Spurs would be huge for him. Although, I don't know how much longer Pop has. But playing with soon-to-be the face of the league in Wemby? Yeah you take that.
I saw Rob being mocked there but I’m not sure if it was a ranking or actual mock thinkings would take him .

I don’t think Rob would be the best fit with Wemby .

Please, I think it's a given that it's a high priority to keep the all-time leading scorer of Kentucky High School as a commitment and another high priority to give your former roommate in college son all the professionalism and effort that is necessary. Both will be here. The only decision I'm wondering about is does he declare and test the waters or waits altogether. I believe I would wait.

Go Cats!

Last edited:
I saw Rob being mocked there but I’m not sure if it was a ranking or actual mock thinkings would take him .

I don’t think Rob would be the best fit with Wemby .

I think you or me could fit with Wemby lol. He's going to be THE guy. He's it. He's already smashed so many big man rookie numbers and stats. Just has to stay healthy.

I would agree that for a AAA player like Wemby, you maybe want a "robin" at the point. But man, imagine how teams would have to guard Dilly AND Wemby.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT