ADVERTISEMENT

Jealousy with NIL

With New Players being bought by most teams how much Jealousy happens amongst current team members?? How does this play in with trying to create team chemistry? Do you think Jealousy Exists??
It has too, it’s a natural human emotion and these guys are young and doing the same thing. There has to be a lot of he ain’t sh@t and he’s making a million? Especially if they are not performing at their new school.

The NIL is at the very least a nail in the coffin. I see absolutely nothing good coming from it other than some dollars in the parents and players pockets.
I do not see a way in which college basketball/football survives this wreck.
You wouldn’t think but people won’t stop watching. They will continue to cheer every year for new players. It will be like a pro league basically. Especially for teams that have a ton of cash to spend each year.

You wouldn’t think but people won’t stop watching. They will continue to cheer every year for new players. It will be like a pro league basically. Especially for teams that have a ton of cash to spend each year.
Which is why I don’t understand why the NCAA didn’t stay with their original rules and say to their players : Yes you own your NIL,BUT to play for an NCAA College make the rule is all you can accept is A college scholarship,room and board. Go somewhere else if you want more. Yes the Product would go down, but people would still tune in to watch. It’s the Competition that people desire between Ohio State- Michigan not snotty nose millionaire kids who never attend class. Go to the Army Navy Game. It is well attended yet the quality of play is less than Alabama-Georgia.

Which is why I don’t understand why the NCAA didn’t stay with their original rules and say to their players : Yes you own your NIL,BUT to play for an NCAA College make the rule is all you can accept is A college scholarship,room and board. Go somewhere else if you want more. Yes the Product would go down, but people would still tune in to watch. It’s the Competition that people desire between Ohio State- Michigan not snotty nose millionaire kids who never attend class. Go to the Army Navy Game. It is well attended yet the quality of play is less than Alabama-Georgia.

Cannot argue, not that I want to.

Reactions: KFuqua

The problem is, this seems to be above the NCAA at this point. Their hands are tied. I don't really get all the details, but it all seems to be coming from the courts.

Oh just keep waiting ….the fan support Will crater. It has been in basketball for a while now

Footballs day will come

College fans care about the program….the build of the unknown freshman to really good Sr…this mercenary format is turning many off and eventually small schools will close shop due to their decent players leaving

Oh just keep waiting ….the fan support Will crater. It has been in basketball for a while now

Footballs day will come

College fans care about the program….the build of the unknown freshman to really good Sr…this mercenary format is turning many off and eventually small schools will close shop due to their decent players leaving

The thing that helps football is that its a team sport, where basketball is player driven. Football will have its own NIL issue at times, but the sport itself is fine.

Basketball though, there is just too much power in the players, and we've been seeing this in the NBA for the last decade or so. Basketball has a real problem on its hands and I think that's why the NBA is more and more to European players. Far less entitlement, bad fundamentals, no tiktok and social media players.

What about the fans of teams that don’t have money to buy players. Thats still going to watch? Prolly not. It isn’t fair. The NBA has salary caps and like every team has an equal playing field. They have the draft. College is a mess.

They can’t, the courts have overruled that authority.

There seems to be more rules governing the NFL & NBA than in D1 MBB and MFB… College Sport is free agency a few times a year. Few rules and no contracts… NCAA takes in $$$ via its association with tournaments and playoffs… They provide little oversight and direction OMO. Raking in the jack is all they’re doing… Easy money. Those who cannot afford to play the money game will not be in the mix… “The times they are a-changin”.

it will decimate small schools with lack of big money backers. the days of a true cinderella team in the tournament are coming to an end.
virginia has passed a law that lets schools directly pay athletes. if this catches on then athletes could eventually become employees, create a union and maybe agree to a salary cap. amateur athletics r.i.p.

I’m not sure how it pans out and works in the long run. Imagine all of Baylor’s players getting scraps and Roach coming in for a 1.2m “1 year” contract. It’s repeatable across the board.

You think dj Wagner making 500k+ last year while being mostly not living up to expectations didn’t rub teammates the wrong way?

Reactions: blubo
There has to be a cap on what player get, I think down the road we will see a lot of infighting in some schools. If it is true that some players are getting a million bucks to play is just plain dumb ! The cost of players will be passed on to other kids someway. I said when NIL was enacted that it was opening a can of worms. Sad what collage sports has come to.

Reactions: WildcatsAndBourbon
With New Players being bought by most teams how much Jealousy happens amongst current team members?? How does this play in with trying to create team chemistry? Do you think Jealousy Exists??
Of course. These are human beings after all.

But, since this is now essentially pro sports, you deal with it the way professionals are expected to deal with it …and do your job anyways.

There has to be a cap on what player get, I think down the road we will see a lot of infighting in some schools. If it is true that some players are getting a million bucks to play is just plain dumb ! The cost of players will be passed on to other kids someway. I said when NIL was enacted that it was opening a can of worms. Sad what collage sports has come to.

They aren't kids. They are adults working for an employer.

The alabama qb gets a lot more because he's more valuable and marketable than most of their team. Same with top basketball players.

No disagreement its out of control but think we are fooling ourselves if we think it's ever getting properly regulated and distributed across the board fairly.

The sec and big 10 will probably break off anyways in a few years and then it will be semi pro.

What about the fans of teams that don’t have money to buy players. Thats still going to watch? Prolly not. It isn’t fair. The NBA has salary caps and like every team has an equal playing field. They have the draft. College is a mess.
College has a draft. It called portal players.

Reactions: blubo

It's never been fair. What world have you been living in?

The same teams win all the time in college football it seems. That playing field has always been stacked against all but about 10 teams. Basketball has the same teams winning too mostly.

A ton. Think about the typical office. How pissed would you be at a coworker getting paid more despite not having done anything yet? Sort of similar.

Look at Caitlin Clark. You have an entire sport outside of her Iowa teammates who are clearly jealous of attention and the money.

Reactions: etowncatfan
Do you ever feel jealous or envious?
It's part of our makeup.
It's how we handle it that determines its affect.

The NIL is at the very least a nail in the coffin. I see absolutely nothing good coming from it other than some dollars in the parents and players pockets.
I do not see a way in which college basketball/football survives this wreck.
It's going to create more parity in football.

We saw it last year with Bama and Georgia...they weren't as deep. They used to hoard all the best talent. And considering starters get most the NIL, their back up players left to be starters elsewhere

Reactions: KYExtemper
Eventually the power conferences will implement rules or guidelines to correct this and the NCAA will cease to exist in it's current form.

I know for a fact that the main reason Justin Rogers left the football team was because Sophomore Deone Walker was going to make more NIL than he was as a senior. That’s just one instance I actually know of . I’d say it is would be even worse in basketball.

NIL and the transfer portal has, IMO ruined college sports- every player is a free agent and will prob go to the highest bidder- if you are good, you can make the pros playing for Utah St or KY, doesn't matter

It’s existed for about 6000 years of known human history. The better question is how do coaches manage it.

Reactions: etowncatfan
I’m as capitalist as anyone (my avatar should prove it), but there are some institutions that should never be an embodiment of the market forces “Wild West”.

Where’s the NIL reparations for Dick Butkus of llinois? (DWS)

Reactions: K_TIME
it will decimate small schools with lack of big money backers. the days of a true cinderella team in the tournament are coming to an end.
virginia has passed a law that lets schools directly pay athletes. if this catches on then athletes could eventually become employees, create a union and maybe agree to a salary cap. amateur athletics r.i.p.
I thought I read where players from a school voted to join a union?

Most of these kids have NBA dreams, what a great way to get prepped for the notion that the Lebrons of the world are gonna make 5-100x what u get.

Not many places in America where everyone gets paid the same amount. The janitor works harder than the manager yet gets paid far less but guess what he keeps coming to work. The backup dancer best not complain that they are getting paid less than Taylor Swift.

I’m as capitalist as anyone (my avatar should prove it), but there are some institutions that should never be an embodiment of the market forces “Wild West”.

Where’s the NIL reparations for Dick Butkus of llinois? (DWS)
Well....NFL has simple contracts and rules that rookies are paid on a scale until set amount of years...then free agnets have their day....but not every single year does a guy get to leave for a new team.

What NCAA along with supreme court....is just going to destoy much fan support and they'll be left sharing a much smaller pie

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT