ADVERTISEMENT

Jasper johnson nears commitment after peach jam

The only 2 Kentucky people I’m familiar with that are unc fans was that god awful poster UNCfaninky and UKO. They’re both awful. I mean he has no connection to UNC and his dad played for UK and he still says he’s a UNC fan? HARD PASS
I knew a lot of UNC fans growing up. Really was a Jordan thing that carried over. To a degree, I think people liked the baby blue gear.

I can distinctly remember a friend from Harrodsburg who was close to the same age as Dennis, maybe 3-4 years older, who wore UNC gear all the time. So maybe UNC fandom was kind of “in the water,” so to speak, in the area where he grew up.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Keep in mind, recruiting now has nothing to do with schools or coaches, it's about NIL. So, you can bet if Pope lands a big-time player, it's solely about NIL. Recruits was always about what they can get, now NIL just makes it legal. The school with the most NIL will get the big-time players...Hope I'm wrong. While here, Calipari had the best of the best because of NIL, see what that got him and the fans.

Last edited:
Keep in mind, recruiting now has nothing to do with schools or coaches, it's about NIL. So, you can bet if Pope lands a big-time player, it's solely about NIL. Recruits was always about what they can get, now NIL just makes it legal. The school with the most NIL will get the big-time players...Hope I'm wrong. While here, Calipari had the best of the best because of NIL, see what that got him and the fans.
I don't understand the need to present a bunch of stuff as fact, and then say "I hope I'm wrong". Cal wasn't getting the best of the best because of NIL, he was (as in years ago) getting them because of what they felt he could do for their NBA dreams. Also, Calipari should NEVER be mentioned in the same sentence as "fans". The fans were (most of them) UK fans. He was an NBA fan.

Reactions: westerncat
I hope Johnson will be a Wildcat, but if decides to leave the Commonwealth, maybe his decision to play his senior year not at Woodford County may be an indication he won’t be a Wildcat.

Cal didn't sign the best of the best n the NIL era here. Uk donors held back NIL funds and calipari also dipped a ton I'm recruiting the last 6 years he was here post the fox, bam and Monk team IMO. That was his last truly super talented roster. We had some solid to good ones since but no real title contenders. 2019 was obviously close but if you can't beat an injured auburn I don't see them beating team of destiny uva n final four.

Right, just one and done portal mercenaries.
you're only describing a handful of players that transfer. Many others play multiple years at their chosen schools. There's no rule that says you can't find help in the portal that is just going to leave in a year, but to be honest, we haven't experienced life under Pope before so it's sort of new territory for us. Can we keep anyone here longer than a year who has a modicum of success? I would wager we won't be able to.

you're only describing a handful of players that transfer. Many others play multiple years at their chosen schools. There's no rule that says you can't find help in the portal that is just going to leave in a year, but to be honest, we haven't experienced life under Pope before so it's sort of new territory for us. Can we keep anyone here longer than a year who has a modicum of success? I would wager we won't be able to.
💩💩

I hope Johnson will be a Wildcat, but if decides to leave the Commonwealth, maybe his decision to play his senior year not at Woodford County may be an indication he won’t be a Wildcat.
I wouldn’t read too much into that. He played at Link Academy in Missouri last year. That's a much tougher schedule than that of Woodford County. It's kind of like Rondo transferring to Oak Hill.

I just saw Aaron Torres (can't stand the prick but he's connected) say that it's between Bama and UNC. I wonder what it's going to take for you folks to understand that I'm telling you the truth. We are not going to land players like this anymore. This was a lay-up.

It's too bad Calipari was so stubborn these last few years. He could have landed a super class and supplemented them with portal guys. Dybantsa, Johnson, Acuff, Wilson, Thomas. I think all of those guys were UK bound if Cal had stayed.
If we’re being honest here there are better guards than Johnson on this class. I want Johnson here, but Brayden burries is my number 1 target In this class

It's too bad Calipari was so stubborn these last few years. He could have landed a super class and supplemented them with portal guys. Dybantsa, Johnson, Acuff, Wilson, Thomas. I think all of those guys were UK bound if Cal had stayed.
He could have had any class and not won. He’s that bad, it sounds great in theory.

There's a whole lot of certainty in this thread for very uncertain times.

Show me the historical data on how teams are reliably winning championships in this new era of direct pay, no transfer limits & immediate eligibility, with dwindling importance of top recruiting classes.

Oh wait, there is no data? Oh ok. I thought I was mistaken based on the number of hardened concrete statements in this thread.

I just saw Aaron Torres (can't stand the prick but he's connected) say that it's between Bama and UNC. I wonder what it's going to take for you folks to understand that I'm telling you the truth. We are not going to land players like this anymore. This was a lay-up.
Arkansas is to the west.... I suggest you go to their board.

There's a whole lot of certainty in this thread for very uncertain times.

Show me the historical data on how teams are reliably winning championships in this new era of direct pay, no transfer limits & immediate eligibility, with dwindling importance of top recruiting classes.

Oh wait, there is no data? Oh ok. I thought I was mistaken based on the number of hardened concrete statements in this thread.
Teams are definitely starting to reach the final 4 the past 5 years with upperclassmen, some built totally out of the portal. NBA talent is a must but a lot is older NBA talent. I’m no data analyst but that’s easy to see from roster makeup of the successful teams.

It has been discussed and determined, one, just one, of the reasons Cal left was due to Mitch Barnharts feelings about NIL. Mitch was a hindrance. Not now. Mitch will embrace NIL in order to support Pope. Popes success is Barnharts success and vice versa. I happen to think Pope will do well.

I've been wondering how it feels that garrison visited your Arkansas program and then turned around and committed to kentucky? He didn't even visit UK. 😔 for your program don't you even think this is very worrisome? Maybe you need a change in your coaching situation to avoid this type of thing. We all feel for you Butters, you are so beloved here.

It has been discussed and determined, one, just one, of the reasons Cal left was due to Mitch Barnharts feelings about NIL. Mitch was a hindrance. Not now. Mitch will embrace NIL in order to support Pope. Popes success is Barnharts success and vice versa. I happen to think Pope will do well.
People who don’t give to NIL talk about Mitch’s feelings about NIL being a hindrance. They don’t support NIL, can’t give a single example of Mitch Barnhart being a hindrance to NIL, but make the claim anyway. In what way was Mitch Barnhart a hindrance to NIL?

He could have had any class and not won. He’s that bad, it sounds great in theory.
I actually don't think he's that bad, but he is that stubborn. You don't make six Final Fours and 12 Elite Eights in a career being that bad.

He took UMass from ashes to #1 in the nation. He knows how to coach, but he abandoned all that once he stubbornly became determined to "do it his way."

If he had shown some humility, he could have had an amazing roster next year:

G - Acuff - Perry
G - Johnson - Thomas
G - Thiero - Thomas
F - Dybantsa/ Thiero/ Portal Guy #1
F - Quaintance/ Wilson/ Portal Guy #1

You'd have experience in Thiero, Perry, Quaintance, and a portal transfer (at least one).

You'd have a transcendent freshman in Dybantsa and a probably top 5 pick in Quaintance.

I actually don't think he's that bad, but he is that stubborn. You don't make six Final Fours and 12 Elite Eights in a career being that bad.

He took UMass from ashes to #1 in the nation. He knows how to coach, but he abandoned all that once he stubbornly became determined to "do it his way."

G - Acuff - Perry
G - Johnson - Thomas
G - Thiero - Thomas

You'd have experience in Thiero, Perry, Quaintance, and a portal transfer (at least one).

You'd have a transcendent freshman in Dybantsa and a probably top 5 pick in Quaintance.
He used to not be that bad but ever since the game has changed he hasn’t adapted. He did last year and that dude left him. He also went away from what worked late in the year. Shows that he will always go with his way, not the way that works.

He’s not the same coach he used to be and the data shows it. I don’t think that magically changes with different rosters no matter how talented. Especially with him, when he stacks talent it’s too young.

Last edited:

G - Acuff - Perry
G - Johnson - Thomas
G - Thiero - Thomas

He was much younger when he did this. Adolph Rupp was not the same coach in the late 60s early 70s that he was in the 40s and 50s.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT