ADVERTISEMENT

Japanese Maples

Caveman Catfan

All-American
Sep 1, 2002
Who knew that there were over one thousand Japanese maples. You see about 4-5 at your local nursery and seems the ones in the neighborhood are a small weeping red or an upright Bloodgood, but these are amazing.

And, those represent just a sampling. Beautiful little trees.

Who knew that Home Depot delivered trees to your door by mail order?

What was the last tree you planted?
Lots of nurseries ship young trees by mail. I’ve ordered trees this way for years. Especially great for the many varieties of apple trees out there. I like the dwarfs since I have a small yard.

Lots of nurseries ship young trees by mail. I’ve ordered trees this way for years. Especially great for the many varieties of apple trees out there. I like the dwarfs since I have a small yard.

True. Many apple trees are sent bare root. The 5 gallon and less container trees being mailed today are often sent potted. And, do very well, even when the UPS/FedX person sits them on their side.

How are your apples coming along? I suspect you have 2-3 varieties. Which did you pick? How long before they offered up fruit?

Who knew that Home Depot delivered trees to your door by mail order?

What was the last tree you planted?
Got about a 12 year old thornless locust in the front yard. They're fast growing shade trees which is why we planted it to ease that beaming summer sun on the house. It's a good 25' tall now with an impressive spread. I didn't cut the fork out when it was a very young tree so there's that big "Y" in it a few feet from the ground. Still love the tree. Only issue is raking up those black banana peel looking seed pods. Already bagged 7 contractor bags full about 2 months ago. Looking like another 7 or more incoming.

Love JM's. Only issue is lacey leafs have late freeze/frost issues that can knock back new leaves & even some branch growth.

Reactions: BGCATFAN2012
Got about a 12 year old thornless locust in the front yard. They're fast growing shade trees which is why we planted it to ease that beaming summer sun on the house. It's a good 25' tall now with an impressive spread. I didn't cut the fork out when it was a very young tree so there's that big "Y" in it a few feet from the ground. Still love the tree. Only issue is raking up those black banana peel looking seed pods. Already bagged 7 contractor bags full about 2 months ago. Looking like another 7 or more incoming.

Get a little grinder and grind those. And, then, put them into a compost pile.

Reactions: BC_Wader
Yeah definitely late frost volunable. I got a pretty one about 7 ft and the dog luvs laying under it watching the area.

Love JM's. Only issue is lacey leafs have late freeze/frost issues that can knock back new leaves & even some branch growth.
We have a mini one in the landscaping. We love it. As far as mini trees go my favotite one we had was a patio peach at the corner of the housr years ago. Big showy spring pink blooms but the jap beetles got it and destroyed it. I need to get another one. Those little peaches were edible too.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
We have a mini one in the landscaping. We love it. As far as mini trees go my favotite one we had was a patio peach at the corner of the housr years ago. Big showy spring pink blooms but the jap beetles got it and destroyed it. I need to get another one. Those little peaches were edible too.

Those are pretty little trees. Even without the fruit, they have a ton to offer. The Japanese beetles go hard after the Rose of Sharon in my yard. I kill a bunch each year, but not nearly enough. They house in the flowers, sometimes 3-4 in one flower. The trees weather the storm, but they do damage.

Who knew the effer's would get so tall you need a ladder to trim.....My answer..

giphy.gif

I’ve planted two and they die. I’m sure it’s my fault due to possibly the ground and/or my maintenance.

I’d rather have an American Trailer Park Maple just for the resilience.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT