ADVERTISEMENT

Mitch being Mitch the poliltician

K_TIME

All-American
Jan 2, 2003
What a joke.

1. You give an unnecessary 9M but the bigger problem is thru 2031 (a 9 year guarantee) last year after losing at home to Vandy.
2. So Stoops was flirting with leaving 12 months after the contract above was inked....Texas AM fanbase pushed back and the deal is nixed.
3. So why is there no clause to for UK to pull out of contract but Stoops has little resistance (a small buyout if he leaves) if he wants out.
4. These football deals are so lopsided to coaches. I look for that to change in a hurry. You cna't just flirt to leave and the school holds all the downside.
5. UK fans and the freaking AD should realize while Stoops has done a solid job but UK was going to low bowl games every year 2 years before Stoops got to UK. He did lift the program up which is his credit but the program is sliding back (losing at home to Vandy, Mizzou and USC) and next year could be a non bowl season....that is how bad it looks.
6. FInally, this ain't 11 years ago. THe landscape not just of UK but of college has changed a ton. The SEC and Big10 are where the action is at. And even lower jobs in those conferences are gigs that are in demand more than ACC, PAC and B12 jobs now. So to argue UK would never get a good coach....bullcrap. (There is a reason Brian Kelly left Notre Dame for LSU).....and all the TV money, NIL deals, etc are in those 32 teams.

What a joke.

1. You give an unnecessary 9M but the bigger problem is thru 2031 (a 9 year guarantee) last year after losing at home to Vandy.
2. So Stoops was flirting with leaving 12 months after the contract above was inked....Texas AM fanbase pushed back and the deal is nixed.
3. So why is there no clause to for UK to pull out of contract but Stoops has little resistance (a small buyout if he leaves) if he wants out.
4. These football deals are so lopsided to coaches. I look for that to change in a hurry. You cna't just flirt to leave and the school holds all the downside.
5. UK fans and the freaking AD should realize while Stoops has done a solid job but UK was going to low bowl games every year 2 years before Stoops got to UK. He did lift the program up which is his credit but the program is sliding back (losing at home to Vandy, Mizzou and USC) and next year could be a non bowl season....that is how bad it looks.
6. FInally, this ain't 11 years ago. THe landscape not just of UK but of college has changed a ton. The SEC and Big10 are where the action is at. And even lower jobs in those conferences are gigs that are in demand more than ACC, PAC and B12 jobs now. So to argue UK would never get a good coach....bullcrap. (There is a reason Brian Kelly left Notre Dame for LSU).....and all the TV money, NIL deals, etc are in those 32 teams.

Brian Kelly left Notre Dame for LSU because the last 3 LSU coaches all won national titles and he wants one.

"Clean up on aisle 7"!!!!

This is SUCH HORSE CRAP!!!!

The TRUST is GONE!!! Stoops and his OVER-INFLATED EGO along with his MOUTHY agent just gave UK the big DOUBLE BIRDS only to have to come back and PRETEND it NEVER happened!!

Well it's time to do some GROVELING Coach!!! And it's time for some ACCOUNTABILITY for YOU Mitch Barnhart!!!!

Hey Mitch, the dude you gave that HUMONGOUS contract to for TOO MANY years is NOT the PRIZE you thought he was and Coach Stoops, you just found out how LUCKY you are to be the HC here!!!!

Now Mitch, put that in your "MICOWAVE" and NUKE IT!!!

What a joke.

It's very telling to me there was no raise or extension. Very bizarre situation. If Stoops considered accepting or accepted and then changed his mind you would assume a raise and/or extension would have happened. He complains about the NIL and the fans here and had the job somewhere he would get top 5 to 10 classes easily and decided to stay for no pay increase or extension.

It kinda begs the question what was the point of this whole exercise.

Reactions: catben
What else is Mitch going to say?

either he is silent or he praises Stoops, the fanbase and talks about the program improving with the continuity

anything else is an indictment on his tenure as AD and the contracts he gives

• Sad
Brian Kelly left Notre Dame for LSU because the last 3 LSU coaches all won national titles and he wants one.
AND?????

To put Brian Kelly in the same category as Mark Stoops is where your argument FAILS!!!

Mark Stoops was NOT wanted in College Station and the Aggie AD along with Mitch Barnhart just found out how Coach Stoops is seen by folks outside of Lexington.

Coach Stoops and his agent just took a HUGE punch in the face and in turn gave it right back to UK!!

SAD

It's very telling to me there was no raise or extension. Very bizarre situation. If Stoops considered accepting or accepted and then changed his mind you would assume a raise and/or extension would have happened. He complains about the NIL and the fans here and had the job somewhere he would get top 5 to 10 classes easily and decided to stay for no pay increase or extension.

the most logical rationale is Stoops was gone and he had the rug pulled out from under him.

The AD at UT was in the process of offering Leech the job when the board called him back to Knoxville to inform him that Fulmer was now in charge of the coaching search and his services were no longer needed.

This is not unprecedented

AND?????

To put Brian Kelly in the same category as Mark Stoops is where your argument FAILS!!!

Mark Stoops was NOT wanted in College Station and the Aggie AD along with Mitch Barnhart just found out how Coach Stoops is seen by folks outside of Lexington.

Coach Stoops and his agent just took a HUGE punch in the face and in turn gave it right back to UK!!

SAD
You missed the point. I don't care much about Mark Stoops one way or another.

• Haha

Stoops and his agent swung and MISSED!!!

And the aftermath leaves EGG on the faces of ALL involved!!!

This is going to cause trust issues throughout the program from this point forward.

SAD

Not much for him to say here. This mess wasn’t his doing, and he’s probably trying to do his best to clean it up. Nothing is on him here. Stoop salary will be middle of the pack soon enough… mega conferences are leading to more pay with bigger TV deals, etc. As new P5 coaches are hired and extended ,most will in the range where stoops is at. Watch and see with miss state , Michigan state and other .

Good post. I don’t want Stoops gone but I think we’ve peaked under him. It just hasn’t been the same since NIL started. And I think this showed he doesn’t actually want to be here. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Iowa or earlyish retirement in next couple years.

I also think Matt Jones is running cover for Stoops to some extent on twitter going against the prevailing narrative and information from other media sources along with insiders from A&M.

Not that I want to turn this into a Matt Jones thread. I just find his "I know something you guys don't" approach on twitter after Stoops called into his show a little too convenient as he implies a lot but doesn't reveal anything.

the most logical rationale is Stoops was gone and he had the rug pulled out from under him.

The AD at UT was in the process of offering Leech the job when the board called him back to Knoxville to inform him that Fulmer was now in charge of the coaching search and his services were no longer needed.
I thought it was impossible for anyone to botch a coaching transition as much as the Vols in 2017...until today (although they still have a chance to recover, a la Alabama/Saban)

Reactions: TankedCat
AND?????

SAD
So who else was in the room with y'all, you were obviously there?

• Wow
You must "care" or you wouldn't be on a UK board posting about it.
Well, I actually wasn't posting anything about Stoops, but the story of a guy who is the winningest coach in a program's history, is clearly disliked by a significant portion of that program's fans, is supposedly the top candidate for the best open position in college football, but returns instead (for whatever reason) is pretty compelling even if you don't care much about said coach.

Well, I actually wasn't posting anything about Stoops, but the story of a guy who is the winningest coach in a program's history, is clearly disliked by a significant portion of that program's fans, is supposedly the top candidate for the best open position in college football, but returns instead (for whatever reason) is pretty compelling even if you don't care much about said coach.
the dislike probably would be marginalized if the supporters would just acknowledge that 7-5 is the standard for Stoops and in 11 years is more than enough time to show that is where we are as a program

and that's not even taking into account what the SEC will look like in a couple of years, adding teams that expect to compete for the SEC championship

Reactions: BlueRunner11
This is sickening. Kelly Craft posted something about him too.

To those who are covering for Stoops, just remember this, not that y’all care, but OUR own players were mocking us with tweets. Walker knew that’s Stoops was gone and was probably all packed up with him.

Our very own team including staff and players were prepared to slap us in the face. Which it would’ve been a hug for me cause I was ecstatic but to all those who are brainwashed into believing Stoops loves this fan base so much.

I’ll never understand UK’s worship of this man.

What a joke.

Not only does next year look questionable, but if Ray Davis wasnt on this team…they don’t make a bowl game this year either. This was not a good team. The UL win was great, but UL had more rushing yds, passing yds and TOP. The two fumbles were basically a godsend if we’re being honest.

But I guess UK is still in the “building” phase (11 years later) according to Mitch. If this is still the case, prob need a new builder imo.

What a joke.

Don’t disagree with a lot of what you said but I don’t understand how you or anyone else can have any sort of concrete prediction about next year. So many dominoes yet to fall with players staying, leaving, or transferring in. UK has a solid recruiting class as well and can expect to see some development from players waiting in the wings.

Kentucky’s schedule next season is tough but not any more so than it has been in the past. Just too many variables to say for certain other than that we will play 3 bad out of conference teams that are almost assuredly wins. I get a little bit of pessimism but fearing not making a bowl is a bit extreme. Maybe if all our talent leaves but I doubt that happens.

What else is Mitch going to say?

either he is silent or he praises Stoops, the fanbase and talks about the program improving with the continuity

anything else is an indictment on his tenure as AD and the contracts he gives
This^^^^^^

Both MB and CMS have to put a lot of lipstick on this pig and keep telling the fans it's not a pig.

But it is a pig.

If you're in Barnhart's shoes, why wouldn't you want to keep Stoops? He has lifted us to a level where we are at least relevant in the SEC....and occasionally have the potential for an upside surprise season (2 ten win seasons out of the last five). He puts enough butts in the seats and goes to bowl games. If you're a risk averse AD why would you want to roll the bones on a newcomer who could flame out and take us back to the Joker era.

I'm not saying his contract is justified....it's a joke frankly. But hey, it's not Barney's money.

If you're in Barnhart's shoes, why wouldn't you want to keep Stoops? He has lifted us to a level where we are at least relevant in the SEC....and occasionally have the potential for an upside surprise season (2 ten win seasons out of the last five). He puts enough butts in the seats and goes to bowl games. If you're a risk averse AD why would you want to roll the bones on a newcomer who could flame out and take us back to the Joker era.

I'm not saying his contract is justified....it's a joke frankly. But hey, it's not Barney's money.
How is UK relevant in the SEC? 3-5 in league play is relevant?

What a joke.

You're completely right. I mean the evidence is there with A&M reportedly now hiring Duke's DC. That is truly a home run hire, of course we know that UK has more resources, better facilities and the better in state recruiting pool.

You prefer the Joker era? You forgot we won 10 games two of the last five seasons. You forgot about the 5 straight wins against UL? Bowl wins? News flash dude....we're no longer a doormat and people have to take us seriously.
1 year with more than 4 wins in the SEC I believe. 1 year. That ain't relevant. Who is UK above in the SEC....Vandy, maybe UF.

Texas and OU show up next year. Stoops has peaked 11 years in. Never won the East. Never beat Georgia. Beat UT twice?

Reactions: R.O.T.Muckinfush
AND?????

SAD
Kelly and Stoops are sorta in the same category, LSU fans don't think much of either

• Haha

Stoops got an extension. His contract states he gets a one year extension when he wins 7 games in a season.

Stoops got an extension. His contract states he gets a one year extension when he wins 7 games in a season.

Good point. Which in of itself speaks to the awful lack of expectations here.

And to the other poster, Stoops won 5 games in sec play twice n 2018 and 2021.

What a joke.

Virtue signal much Mitch?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT