ADVERTISEMENT

Jamal Mashburn JR...

Uncle Adolph

Junior
Aug 9, 2019
Our PG position next season. I'm assuming Reed is gone. DJ is gone. Boogie is not coming. I would love to get Jeremy Roach from Duke but I wonder if Mash Jr would be an option ?
Played at New Mexico and is in the portal.

Ya leaving out his fg% of 36%,, lol.. 35%,, 43%,, 43% and 36% on 4 years..
I still don't see the downside. He'd be a cultural victory for us and people were complaining about losing Aaron Bradshaw and his 28% perimeter and 56% FT shooting.

Don't want him starting but as far as 1 of 13, come on down JR.

Reactions: delk4three
I think most everyone would agree he would be a fine kid to have as long as you weren’t worried about him receiving big minutes. If he got 10 a game, it would probably be worth it. Hes not likely a pro and could make major money back in Kentucky based off name alone.

Reactions: AGEE11
As other said, if he's willing to come of the bench for 10 or so a game, he'd be really good in that role. Also, he'd make much more money here on NIL with that name than anywhere else.

Agree with above, he is good enough to be 10th-13th man. And with his name, he could do ok w/ NIL in Lexington (more than anywhere else maybe), maybe something like 200K.

I believe his prior 2 years more than last year. I think that was like Bogans JR year where he shot it really bad too.

New Mexico won’t he Midwest Conference and was an 11 seed in the tourney. This would be like saying Boots Radford from A&M couldn’t play here.

Funny enough, I think New Mexico has Rodney Dents son too, as well as Jacob Toppins brother.

Our PG position next season. I'm assuming Reed is gone. DJ is gone. Boogie is not coming. I would love to get Jeremy Roach from Duke but I wonder if Mash Jr would be an option ?
Played at New Mexico and is in the portal.
I hope he is not an option. I get it, Mashburn's son, BUT,,,,,
Yes 14.1 points per game (though 5 less per game than last year), lets look a bit further into it.

Made 3.6 free throws per game. So subtracting that from his 14.1 ppg average leaves 10.9 per game coming from shots from the field from 2' and 3's.
He attempted 8.2 2FG's per game, making only 3.1 = 37% on 2's - terrible % for a guard.
He attempted 3.9 3FG's per game, making only 1.3 = 31% on 3's - even worse.
So in short, he had to take over 12 shots per game to get 11 points (points per game minus free throws per game). Not very efficient at all, especially for a guard with his time in college.

Also, not a great rebounder (2 per game) or assist man (1.5 per game), especially when you deduct the 1.3 turnover average per game. Pretty much a wash assist / to ratio. So he doesn't give you efficient scoring, great assist #'s or rebounding. For a guard, he really offers nothing other than his 14.1 points he has to take double digit shots per game to get. Well you say, how about defensively ? Nope, only averaged .04 steals and .01 blocks per game.
So remove the Mashburn name, look at his body of work and you will see, he is NOT a great guard to go after. He just simply is not in the upper tier of guards who are available.

To compare (and not really fair, different caliber players), I will use Rob Dillingham's shooting numbers v/s Mashburn Jr's.
Dillingham averaged 15.2 PPG, and made 2.4 free throws per game. That leaves 12.8 PPG coming from 2FG's and 3FG's.
2FG - 6.8 per game / 3.4 makes (roughly 50% 2FG%)
3FG - 4.5 per game / 2 makes (44.4%)
It only took him 11.3 shots to get his 12.8 PPG average from FG shooting points. Or 56% EFG%. Mashburn JR. had a 41.6 efficiency FG %. Like I said, not fair to compare him to a lotto pick, I get that. Just to let you see what good /great shooting %'s are. And as hectic as Rob played, he still had a 2/1 assist to turnover ratio. 4 assist / 2 turnover per game.

To be fair to Mashburn JR. I will compare him to someone who was crushed by most fans. Justin Edwards shooting #'s :
8.8 PPG / 1.2 FT's made. 7.6 PPG coming from FG attempts.

2FG - 4.2 per game / 2.3 makes (56%)
3FG - 2.7 per game / 1.0 makes (37%)
Justin had to take 6.9 shots to average 7.6 points - 55.7 EFG%.

Mashburn JR. averaged 29.5 minutes per game, Edwards 21.2.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT