ADVERTISEMENT

Jalen Hurts

Unbelievable. He's a nice player but not close to this level of pay.
Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert, etc will be looking at 60-65 million a year and he is as good or better than either so you have to pay him his market value.

By the time he's in the last couple of years of this contract, it will probably rank around 10-15th for QB contracts. Not bad all things considered.

Unbelievable. He's a nice player but not close to this level of pay.
perhaps, but no player is worth what they make. The market determines the value and he just led his team to the Super bowl. Soon, someone will pass him, it is what it is and I would rather see the players get it than the owners. So congrats to hurts. I agree he wouldn't be my first choice, but he works for Philly there is no doubt

Reactions: Blouman
perhaps, but no player is worth what they make. The market determines the value and he just led his team to the Super bowl. Soon, someone will pass him, it is what it is and I would rather see the players get it than the owners. So congrats to hurts. I agree he wouldn't be my first choice, but he works for Philly there is no doubt

He didn't. His OL lead their team. Their defense was a big part of their success too. Their defense took a lot of heat for losing that Superbowl but the eagles win without hurts unforced fumble that was returned for a TD.

He's a good player but nowhere near this level. If he left and went to another team, he would look much different. However with this OL the eagles could plug in any game manager and be just as good

He didn't. His OL lead their team. Their defense was a big part of their success too. Their defense took a lot of heat for losing that Superbowl but the eagles win without hurts unforced fumble that was returned for a TD.

He's a good player but nowhere near this level. If he left and went to another team, he would look much different. However with this OL the eagles could plug in any game manager and be just as good
3700/22/6
760/13
That's elite numbers. His rushing numbers will go down with time but he was a stud last season. He didnt need to throw for 5000 because their rushing game was so good. The sky is the limit for Hurts. I've been pulling for him since he got benched for Tua and I'm a Dallas fan.

The eagles wouldn’t be in the super bowl without hurts. He was that entire offesne. Everything runs through him. Without him it was less than pedestrian. That defense took a lot of heat because they couldn’t get a stop in the second half.

One fumble from the first quarter isn’t the difference. They went up multiple scores after that. That defense was mostly god awful against good teams/good quarterbacks last year. Dallas and Green Bay.

Agreed....now that he is making all this money. His cap space hit will eat up a ton more and Eagles won't have the money for elite OL, top end WR core, top D unit, etc... And how will the Eagles and Hurt look when all of this happens.

1. I thought Hurts was really good last year
2. I thought Hurts was very 'meh' two years ago
3. Hurts wasn't elite QB out of college...so not a huge pedigree.

The thought he gets this contract based on essentially one year and with a stacked roster and coaches are getting new jobs, etc..I think it is pretty risky for Eagles to be honest.

We'll see how this works out. IMO, he's not ready to beat the good NFL teams from the pocket. Does he get injured running as often as he did this past year?

My opinion is paying any one player this level of cash is the beginning of the end for any franchise. At some point, this one contract will become an anchor and the surrounding cast will get younger, probably less talented and/or less highly paid.

Hurts had a huge year for Philly and was a key ingredient in their season. The OL was also an ingredient. If this contract requires shedding the OL, receivers, defensive stalwarts, etc. over the next few seasons, I just can't believe this is a good deal for the team.

Agreed....now that he is making all this money. His cap space hit will eat up a ton more and Eagles won't have the money for elite OL, top end WR core, top D unit, etc... And how will the Eagles and Hurt look when all of this happens.

The thought he gets this contract based on essentially one year and with a stacked roster and coaches are getting new jobs, etc..I think it is pretty risky for Eagles to be honest.
The nfl salary cap is basicially fiction at this point. After restructuring lane johnsons deal they will have 70 million in cap space next year.

We'll see how this works out. IMO, he's not ready to beat the good NFL teams from the pocket. Does he get injured running as often as he did this past year?

My opinion is paying any one player this level of cash is the beginning of the end for any franchise. At some point, this one contract will become an anchor and the surrounding cast will get younger, probably less talented and/or less highly paid.

Hurts had a huge year for Philly and was a key ingredient in their season. The OL was also an ingredient. If this contract requires shedding the OL, receivers, defensive stalwarts, etc. over the next few seasons, I just can't believe this is a good deal for the team.
They’ve spent the last several years preparing for the loss of older player but the offense is basically locked in for the next 2 years. The eagles also deal in a way that allows them to restructure any of their players deals to open up cap space.

Reactions: dvillecatfan
With QB deals, if he can get you to a super bowl and isn’t flashing guns or body parts, just get it done now and bite that bullet. The next deal will eclipse this one, and hell it’s only 5 years. If he sucks by year 3, draft a new QB and he’ll either ask to be traded or cut him and play the rookie.

3700/22/6
760/13
That's elite numbers. His rushing numbers will go down with time but he was a stud last season. He didnt need to throw for 5000 because their rushing game was so good. The sky is the limit for Hurts. I've been pulling for him since he got benched for Tua and I'm a Dallas fan.

Their rushing game, and offense, was good because of their OL. They were dominant.

The eagles wouldn’t be in the super bowl without hurts. He was that entire offesne. Everything runs through him. Without him it was less than pedestrian. That defense took a lot of heat because they couldn’t get a stop in the second half.

One fumble from the first quarter isn’t the difference. They went up multiple scores after that. That defense was mostly god awful against good teams/good quarterbacks last year. Dallas and Green Bay.

I don't think so. Other qbs could've made it there on that unit. Give him the Bengals OL and the eagles don't make it.

With QB deals, if he can get you to a super bowl and isn’t flashing guns or body parts, just get it done now and bite that bullet. The next deal will eclipse this one, and hell it’s only 5 years. If he sucks by year 3, draft a new QB and he’ll either ask to be traded or cut him and play the rookie.

He wasn't the only one that could've done it. I do think they should've resigned him but this is too much. Like @K_TIME said, he just sucked up a lot of cap money so for better or worse he will be the man needing to put the offense in his back.

What should've happened was he resigned but at a more reasonable rate with the agreement it be spread amongst the OL. Sounds like burrow is willing to follow the Brady plan of taking less so the team can get better. We'll see

The nfl salary cap is basicially fiction at this point. After restructuring lane johnsons deal they will have 70 million in cap space next year.
I admit not a cap space guru.....and dudes re structuring is hard to keep up with

But I know Dallas lost dudes when Dak started picking up more cap space....and we see him less effective
Mahomes lost Tyreke Hill and some defenders....but he's the best and can overcome it. Can Hurts carry a load like Mahomes....we'll get to find out.

I get you don’t like hurts but to act as if his play and running ability didn’t make them better simply isn’t true. They’ve had that same o line for multiple seasons but regardless … the QB always gets more praise then they may deserve in a win and and more blame than they may deserve in a loss and the eagles aren’t the same without hurts

I get you don’t like hurts but to act as if his play and running ability didn’t make them better simply isn’t true. They’ve had that same o line for multiple seasons but regardless … the QB always gets more praise then they may deserve in a win and and more blame than they may deserve in a loss and the eagles aren’t the same without hurts

Seems like a great guy. I do like him. He just doesn't warrant tis value.

Getting praise and being the highest paid player ever, albeit probably temporarily, are two far different things.

Reactions: robo222
I admit not a cap space guru.....and dudes re structuring is hard to keep up with

But I know Dallas lost dudes when Dak started picking up more cap space....and we see him less effective
Mahomes lost Tyreke Hill and some defenders....but he's the best and can overcome it. Can Hurts carry a load like Mahomes....we'll get to find out.

However with this OL the eagles could plug in any game manager and be just as good
Brissett and Dalton not taking the Eagles to SB
No doubt.. Gotta pay for it at some point.
Their rushing game, and offense, was good because of their OL. They were dominant.

He wasn't the only one that could've done it.
1. That's usually how it works.
2. He's the one who did.

Reactions: StubbornPenny

I don't think so. Other qbs could've made it there on that unit. Give him the Bengals OL and the eagles don't make it.

He wasn't the only one that could've done it. I do think they should've resigned him but this is too much. Like @K_TIME said, he just sucked up a lot of cap money so for better or worse he will be the man needing to put the offense in his back.

What should've happened was he resigned but at a more reasonable rate with the agreement it be spread amongst the OL. Sounds like burrow is willing to follow the Brady plan of taking less so the team can get better. We'll see

There’s really no such thing as a reasonable rate on QBs in todays NFL. Brady was the last of that breed. It’s either pay the man or end up in a Lamar Jackson situation. I will eat my words if Burrow takes a hometown discount. Probably the closest thing in recent QB contracts is Mahomes for 10 years 500 million.

The next 10 to 12 Super Bowls will be traded around by Jalen Hurt, Joe Burrow, Josh Allen, & Patrick Mahomes

Reactions: ryanbruner
Seems like a great guy. I do like him. He just doesn't warrant tis value.

Getting praise and being the highest paid player ever, albeit probably temporarily, are two far different things.
Contracts are largely window dressing though, they are only worth what’s fully guaranteed and each year someone resets the market- that’s just how it works. Burrow probably now beats him, etc etc etc

He went to OU and put up monster #s in Lincoln Riley's offense. He had 52 tds and over 5000 yards in total offense and led OU to the playoffs. He was elite coming out of college.

We'll just have to disagree. When kelce retires and others on the ol sign elsewhere, we'll see what happens
That's not happening for awhile but even still they drafted a replacement for Kelce in Cam Jurgens. They'll be able to draft Lane Johnson's replacement at 10 this year as well.

Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert, etc will be looking at 60-65 million a year and he is as good or better than either so you have to pay him his market value.

By the time he's in the last couple of years of this contract, it will probably rank around 10-15th for QB contracts. Not bad all things considered.
No he’s not lol.

That's one reason I just chalked it up an impasse. If some posters can't accept hurts isn't as good as burrow there really won't be any common ground
The numbers, accolades, and record all state otherwise. That's of course with Burrow having the same weapons and the 4th highest payroll for an offensive line. Sometimes watching football should take precedent over random opinions. Just a thought really.

I like the kid and am happy for him getting paid. I don't know that he's not worth it. I don't know that he's not going to finish with a better record of winning than burrow. I like the kids attitude.

First thing he said after getting the contract signed is that he's "ready to get to work" rsther than dwell on the contract numbers, and I believe him. How can anyone not like this kid outside of Auburn?

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
That's one reason I just chalked it up an impasse. If some posters can't accept hurts isn't as good as burrow there really won't be any common ground
I get that you’re a fan of burrow and the bengals but fandom aside there are 5-6 guys in the second tier of QBs in the league behind (only) Mahomes and hurts, burrow, Herbert, Allen, Lamar, and maybe Rodgers.

I get that you’re a fan of burrow and the bengals but fandom aside there are 5-6 guys in the second tier of QBs in the league behind (only) Mahomes and hurts, burrow, Herbert, Allen, Lamar, and maybe Rodgers.

I don't have an NFL team and only watch to appreciate the game. The eagles have an excellent offense, of which hurts is a key part. Hurts seems like a great young man and fought through much adversity to get where he is.

All that said, a key part of what makes hurts so productive is the fit. His oc, the ol, etc all fit him perfectly. If you put him on a different team he wouldn't be as effective. It's much like Steve McNair with the titans back in the day.

Before you cry racism, which was surely coming, players like Bridgewater and moon (for a real throwback) could and do/did produce in many places.

A QB with run as a large part of their game requires the right fit. When they have it, the offense is great. When they don't...meh

A good OC will mold around his QB’s talents if they are above average at something. Hurts has that ability to run and is developing his passing. As long as he has the right OC, he will do fine unless an injury happens. If he gets one dimensional, he will drop quickly IMO.

I don't have an NFL team and only watch to appreciate the game. The eagles have an excellent offense, of which hurts is a key part. Hurts seems like a great young man and fought through much adversity to get where he is.

All that said, a key part of what makes hurts so productive is the fit. His oc, the ol, etc all fit him perfectly. If you put him on a different team he wouldn't be as effective. It's much like Steve McNair with the titans back in the day.

Before you cry racism, which was surely coming, players like Bridgewater and moon (for a real throwback) could and do/did produce in many places.

A QB with run as a large part of their game requires the right fit. When they have it, the offense is great. When they don't...meh
Sure but in the same instance if you threw burrow into Hurts or Lamar’s system it wouldn’t look the same either. Every offense in the nfl is molded to the strengths of the QB with the exception of Mahomes because he would succeed in any offense.

Comparing Bridgewater who at best was slightly below average, to Hurts who’s already had an MVP caliber season and a super bowl appearance is off base though. Also I didn’t say anything about anyones race. Idk why that’s even part of the conversation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT