ADVERTISEMENT

So just get use to every player entering the portal every year

I got a feeling March is going to really open up for me in a few years. This sport seems destined to fail, or at least become a shell of it self. Every team, every year will be brand new.. and we're going to watch a lot of sub par basketball, until one team just happens to get it right in March.

The fact that Duke's captain entered the transfer portal just shows how insane it has become. While I miss the way things used to be, I don't blame the players for using the system to get paid by the highest bidder.
Especially, if your not going to play pro ball. This may literally be the only time some kids get the opportunity to make this type of money playing basketball. It will all work out (I think). The schools, the NCAA, Congress and yes the players will need to come up with some reasonable guidelines and we will be fine.

I got a feeling March is going to really open up for me in a few years. This sport seems destined to fail, or at least become a shell of it self. Every team, every year will be brand new.. and we're going to watch a lot of sub par basketball, until one team just happens to get it right in March.
I don't think the game will be subpar. This year tournament was really really good and interesting to watch (beyond the UK crap). Any team can win it. Just got to let everything settle for a year or 2.

I don't think the game will be subpar. This year tournament was really really good and interesting to watch (beyond the UK crap). Any team can win it. Just got to let everything settle for a year or 2.

I don't particularly think it was. I don't think the new parity where any team can truly beat any team is good for the sport. Watching SDSU and FAU and NCState pull Final4s out of their ass isnt a good thing to me.

It's really the roster consistency. If teams are 60% new every year, you just don't get to know the players, you lose the connection. And these brand new rosters, a lot of them look like shit early on. I think the sport was better when you had a handful of powerhouses that you could rely on.. while still having 30-40 other solid teams that can pull upsets.

Football is the same. This can't keep happening. Rules will have to come in from congress or something. NCAA sports will die. When the TV money dries up from no viewership.

The fact that Duke's captain entered the transfer portal just shows how insane it has become. While I miss the way things used to be, I don't blame the players for using the system to get paid by the highest bidder.
right but if these dues are gonna be professionals.. which is what they've been made to be now.. then treat them like it. Let's stop calling them kids and if you're gonna give them a bag.. then make them sign a 2 year deals

I don't particularly think it was. I don't think the new parity where any team can truly beat any team is good for the sport. Watching SDSU and FAU and NCState pull Final4s out of their ass isnt a good thing to me.

It's really the roster consistency. If teams are 60% new every year, you just don't get to know the players, you lose the connection. And these brand new rosters, a lot of them look like shit early on. I think the sport was better when you had a handful of powerhouses that you could rely on.. while still having 30-40 other solid teams that can pull upsets.

You can't say that the tournament was bad this year and blame it on too much parity when the National Champion set an all time record for cumulative scoring margin and also played the clear 2nd best team in the country in the finals.

Football is the same. This can't keep happening. Rules will have to come in from congress or something. NCAA sports will die. When the TV money dries up from no viewership.

Football is in such a better spot to me, though. You still have a sport that's team-first, program-first. Sure some guys are going to bolt who couldn't start. But you're still seeing the big name programs not miss a beat. You still get guys for multiple years, and the sport is still played as a unit, not as a bunch of players thrown together each year. Football offers just that much of roster continuity baked into it, that makes it all that much better.

You can't say that the tournament was bad this year and blame it on too much parity when the National Champion set an all time record for cumulative scoring margin and also played the clear 2nd best team in the country in the finals.

The title game was fine this year.. but the Final4's the last two years were not.

I don't think one title game and a teams 2-year run necessarily means this was a good product. No fanbase seems to be happy with what we're seeing.

Reactions: Dillenger1914
Even more of a reason to get a high-energy, relationship guy like Pope to potentially keep some high-character guys.

I don't get all the whining and I bet 90% of the whiners will be watching basketball and enjoying it like they always do. College Basketball has been great and will always be great. I'm still going to get invested in our team every year and cheer my butt off for them. Especially now with an exciting coach vs the last 5 years.

Who cares that these guys want to maximize their earnings while they can, almost every one on here would do the same thing.

You guys need to be a little adaptable and be willing to roll with the transfer portal and NIL, it's not going anywhere. If not, go find another hobby

Reactions: Zissou87
Football is in such a better spot to me, though. You still have a sport that's team-first, program-first. Sure some guys are going to bolt who couldn't start. But you're still seeing the big name programs not miss a beat. You still get guys for multiple years, and the sport is still played as a unit, not as a bunch of players thrown together each year. Football offers just that much of roster continuity baked into it, that makes it all that much better.

If basketball got to keep its best players 3 years and everyone else 4 that would help.

The lack of parity in football will be interesting as we get a bigger playoff. Will we see any variety? Idk.

I would rather watch the women play. They play with a lot more fire and heart.

And no surprise, the womens tournament almost pulled in the same numbers.

Now a lot of that was Caitlin Clarke.. but those numbers were still ramping up even if she didn't exist.

The womans game is, by far, a worse brand of basketball.. so much so that it's painful to watch.. and yet it's STILL a better PRODUCT.. simply because you have roster consistency, you learn the players, they develop rivalries, you can count on them to be good and win games (if you follow a good program).

That's just the way the game is now. Players are free agents and will bolt for money every season if need be. Very few cases of loyalty exist unless it's guys buried on the bench that come back.
I don't blame the players, there should have been better overall recognition of how the transfer portal would be a drastic change to the way rosters are put together every season.
If I had my way, I'd let high school players go to the NBA after they graduate. This should happen.
The only way the current form of NIL and the portal changes is if the NCAA and players form a collective bargaining agreement and that requires unionization of the players so unless Congress steps in then what we see now. Is the way it will be every season.

Even more of a reason to get a high-energy, relationship guy like Pope to potentially keep some high-character guys.
Like Reed? Couldn't get more high character. The Kentucky name on the front wasn't enough for a true blue Kentucky kid. Granted he left for the NBA, but you get my drift.

$$$$ speaks louder, no matter how much "we" may love UK.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT