ADVERTISEMENT

Jacob Toppin Had an Interesting Quote Today

ralphdaltonfan

All-American
Apr 3, 2002
Jacob and Cason Wallace met with media today but one quote jumped out at me as something we'd think is a known factor regarding health/improvement but he said:

"Since the season ended, I gained about five, ten pounds, "Toppin said. "The new strength coach (Brady Welsh) he's been good for us. He's been on me a lot about eating the right stuff. Not just eating a lot of food but eating the right stuff and it's helped a lot. I feel healthier. I feel better, I feel stronger, so it's definitely been a process."

If a player is saying this, I trust the player just learned this. At a program like UK.....it's little details that can be overlooked and like that Welsh is emphasizing details instead of assuming they know it. Jacob also said he worked out with AJ Griffin and Jaden Ivey as they prepared for the Draft and got advice from Paul George on what to do to improve. Toppin's been working on his jumper and range and said he feels it's improved but liked his self awareness and reality when he added "Now I've got to transfer that to doing it in games". Also said "Nothing is given, everyone is fighting for a spot, so have to work hard to earn what I get".

Always have liked him as a talent but seems very honest with himself. Mentioned he knew he had to return to school when he entered the Draft but wanted to get feedback and hear what NBA teams advised him, which was improving the range and jumper overall and getting stronger physically. Really pulling for him to get rewarded because guys who are self aware and honest know everyone's path is different and you can get where you want no matter what others say you are/aren't doing. Can't wait to see him next Month (okay I'm cheating by a day since it's still June)

The guy couldn't beat out Brooks for playing time. Been a D1 player for 3 years. 2 programs and just now learning how to eat? Give me a break!!

He will be the same player next year that he's been for 3 seasons. There has not been a steady rise from him. He's not going to break out. He is what he is. Just like Wheeler. They are made players. What you see is what you get.

The guy couldn't beat out Brooks for playing time. Been a D1 player for 3 years. 2 programs and just now learning how to eat? Give me a break!!
You say that like Zion Williamson isn’t struggling to stay in the pros because he’s fighting with how to eat.

Big difference between knowing and doing. Toppin isn’t dumb. He knows how to stay in shape. But doing it properly is a whole nother beast

As far as playing time. Lol dude. We all know Cal was forcing Brooks.

Last edited:
Jacob and Cason Wallace met with media today but one quote jumped out at me as something we'd think is a known factor regarding health/improvement but he said:

"Since the season ended, I gained about five, ten pounds, "Toppin said. "The new strength coach (Brady Welsh) he's been good for us. He's been on me a lot about eating the right stuff. Not just eating a lot of food but eating the right stuff and it's helped a lot. I feel healthier. I feel better, I feel stronger, so it's definitely been a process."

If a player is saying this, I trust the player just learned this. At a program like UK.....it's little details that can be overlooked and like that Welsh is emphasizing details instead of assuming they know it. Jacob also said he worked out with AJ Griffin and Jaden Ivey as they prepared for the Draft and got advice from Paul George on what to do to improve. Toppin's been working on his jumper and range and said he feels it's improved but liked his self awareness and reality when he added "Now I've got to transfer that to doing it in games". Also said "Nothing is given, everyone is fighting for a spot, so have to work hard to earn what I get".

Always have liked him as a talent but seems very honest with himself. Mentioned he knew he had to return to school when he entered the Draft but wanted to get feedback and hear what NBA teams advised him, which was improving the range and jumper overall and getting stronger physically. Really pulling for him to get rewarded because guys who are self aware and honest know everyone's path is different and you can get where you want no matter what others say you are/aren't doing. Can't wait to see him next Month (okay I'm cheating by a day since it's still June)

I knew he looked bigger. Makes sense.

Hopefully everything players are saying translates to the court.

10-15 lbs is enough to add and no more. His frame is perfect as a pogo stick, athletic defense and put back jams. If he gets bulked up too much, it is without a doubt a detriment to his game
Agreed. He looks good right now. He will have a tough time bulking up too much with all the practices, Bahamas and games coming up.

I feel like he's going to be the big guy we've needed that makes a lot of threes. We'll see.

He will be the same player next year that he's been for 3 seasons. There has not been a steady rise from him. He's not going to break out. He is what he is. Just like Wheeler. They are made players. What you see is what you get.

Gibberish. I've seen improvement each year from him and the kid can shoot. When he gets comfortable, you'll be long gone. PS, which rival team do you cheer for?

Toppin is still growing. He is definitely able to improve and advance his game.

Toppin was injured half last season. And I will take the other side of your prediction and say he will be on an all SEC team.

It wasn't a matter of beating out Brooks. It was a matter of who Cal favored with playing time.

His per minute points, blocks, turnovers, and assists all improved from season 1 at UK to season 2. FG % too.

This is a laughably bad take and you should be embarrassed.

Eye test, size and athleticism and his brother being a late bloomer as well are some of the reasons people are excited. I don't see him being the 2nd best player though.
Yea he's an athletic freak!!! He was when he got here. Our fans ,through the years, get excited about a player like this usually around once every 5/6 years. The expectations are way too hyped up. I look for him to be about like Brooks last season when it comes to scoring. 8-10 ppg. I believe he can be a great defender. There will be atleast 4 maybe 5 players who are "better"
Livingston
Wallace
Oscar
Wheeler
And probably Reeves aswell

It is early but you get the dumb comment of the day award. I am married to a nutritionist and I can tell you there are SO many different approaches to eating. All Jacob is saying is that he is basically going at this from a different direction and eating different foods than he had been eating. He mentioned the "right stuff." Anyone with a brain knew what he was talking about. You didn't.

Saved and will follow back to this later.

If you don’t think he progressed, you didn’t watch the last 2 seasons.

Yea he's an athletic freak!!! He was when he got here. Our fans ,through the years, get excited about a player like this usually around once every 5/6 years. The expectations are way too hyped up. I look for him to be about like Brooks last season when it comes to scoring. 8-10 ppg. I believe he can be a great defender. There will be atleast 4 maybe 5 players who are "better"
Livingston
Wallace
Oscar
Wheeler
And probably Reeves aswell
I think he will rebound the ball better and score at about the same rate. Was a fan of Brook’s athleticism and overall skill set but think the team suffered on both ends with his lack of team play and toughness. Jacob may not put up staggering numbers but will provide much better defense and winning plays when needed imo.

Toppin's Brother was a bit of a late bloomer as well. It's taking Jacob a little longer, but he has the athletic ability to be great. Just needs to harness it.

Get lost Troll.

Not only will this team have the best frontcourt in the country, they might also be the most well rounded, high character guys as well.

I mean, do I even have to talk about Oscar's character?

Jacob has always been a good interview and has always had a positive outlook, even though there were times Cal literally forgot about him.

Then there's Ware and Collins. Collins is quiet, but Ware is always smiling and just happy as hell to be here.

I knew he looked bigger. Makes sense.

Hopefully everything players are saying translates to the court.

JDi8ziY.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT