ADVERTISEMENT

Jackson projected at 21st in the latest mock draft. Agents and scouts still hearing he is considering a return to UK still.

Anyway.... Some like WCS better, some don't
Do you honestly look at Jackson and see nba star? His game looks nothing like the style the nba is moving towards. I can't think of one player in the league that's really good, that he's similar to.

Just to further prove my points that I stated earlier, these rankings are almost exactly the same.

I don't get why some are bagging on Willie. He enjoyed his time at UK and I enjoyed him as a player. He played on some really talented and crowded teams. I really like IJ and WCS. IJ really improved at the end of the year. I know these days most everyone goes early good or bad. The fact he hasn't hired an agent 2 months after we were done playing tells me he is at least considering coming back and that's all you can ask.

At the end of the day, he has to do what is best for him, but at least he is going about it the right way instead of just hiring an agent not knowing if he would even be a 1st round pick as some do. He knows he will be a 1st rounder, but it seems like he is looking long-term. If he's lottery I would expect he goes and should and even if he's close like 18th I would say probably go. If he is 21st or worse and he enjoys UK then hopefully he comes back and kills it and gets himself into the lottery. I think if he comes back he has a PJ-like jump his Sophomore year. Some thought that about Brooks but I couldn't see it. However, IJ can be as dominating as PJ. More so on defense, but if he can improve on the offensive end he will have an amazing Soph year.

He needs to put on some weight, muscle and work on his shot. I think sometimes guys go too early and they never get on track even if they could it never seems to happen. Maybe it becomes mental and pressure I'm not sure, but IJ is at least taking his time, and if he comes back like PJ and Quickly it might pay off long term. I don't think he goes lottery with all the players in the draft this year so I hope he comes back. Can you imagine him and Oscar out there with 3 shooters. A guy can dream.

Your point? I knew exactly what his stats were. Means absolutely nothing. Both are really good defensive players and avg offense.
You are banking on Jackson being some great sophomore. He won't be a serious offensive threat, it's just not his game. Whether you want to admit it or not, they are very similar players at the same points in their career.
WCS was a full year younger than Jackson as a freshman and put up the exact same stats. It may be easy for you to discount WCS because of an avg pro career, he wasn't drafted 6/7th overall for no reason.
But they aren't similar at all. There is nothing similar about the two player's beyond the fact that they play the same position.
WCS really didn't improve his stats all that much the 3 years he was at UK, his junior year stats are very similar to his freshman stats. If Jackson stayed here 3 years, there's no way he would only average 8ppg as a Junior. You also have to look at the point guards Willie had in his last two years, if IJ had Andrew and Ulis, this wouldn’t be close.
One other thing to consider is blocks per game. We haven't talked about that, without looking, I would say IJ's bpg stat is much better than WCS' in any of the 3 years he was here.
The fact that you think they are similar players, is telling. Their stats might be similar in year 1, but IJ is on another level.

Anyway.... Some like WCS better, some don't
Do you honestly look at Jackson and see nba star? His game looks nothing like the style the nba is moving towards. I can't think of one player in the league that's really good, that he's similar to.
Bam didn’t look like a max deal player either when he left UK. All he could do was dunk and block shots, now look at him.

You’re not looking at what happens to guys with IJ and Bam's type of athletesism in the NBA, you just can't see it. IJ is going to be a max deal player if he puts in the work and seeing the type of kid he is, I have no problem saying he will be a max deal player.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
I don't get why some are bagging on Willie. He enjoyed his time at UK and I enjoyed him as a player. He played on some really talented and crowded teams. I really like IJ and WCS. IJ really improved at the end of the year. I know these days most everyone goes early good or bad. The fact he hasn't hired an agent 2 months after we were done playing tells me he is at least considering coming back and that's all you can ask.

At the end of the day, he has to do what is best for him, but at least he is going about it the right way instead of just hiring an agent not knowing if he would even be a 1st round pick as some do. He knows he will be a 1st rounder, but it seems like he is looking long-term. If he's lottery I would expect he goes and should and even if he's close like 18th I would say probably go. If he is 21st or worse and he enjoys UK then hopefully he comes back and kills it and gets himself into the lottery. I think if he comes back he has a PJ-like jump his Sophomore year. Some thought that about Brooks but I couldn't see it. However, IJ can be as dominating as PJ. More so on defense, but if he can improve on the offensive end he will have an amazing Soph year.

He needs to put on some weight, muscle and work on his shot. I think sometimes guys go too early and they never get on track even if they could it never seems to happen. Maybe it becomes mental and pressure I'm not sure, but IJ is at least taking his time, and if he comes back like PJ and Quickly it might pay off long term. I don't think he goes lottery with all the players in the draft this year so I hope he comes back. Can you imagine him and Oscar out there with 3 shooters. A guy can dream.
I assume you’re talking about me, but I'm not baghing on Willie, all I'm trying to say is IJ has the potential to be a max deal guy in the NBA, Willie never got that and he never will.

Give me a team of IJ at the 5 and WCS at the 4. Just throw it up at the rim and let them eat! Be a full season of highlights!!

One other thing to consider is blocks per game. We haven't talked about that, without looking, I would say IJ's bpg stat is much better than WCS' in any of the 3 years he was here.
You'd be wrong. Willie's sophomore season he averaged 2.9 and IJ averaged 2.6.

• Haha
Reactions: CatInCanuckLand
Bam didn’t look like a max deal player either when he left UK. All he could do was dunk and block shots, now look at him.

You’re not looking at what happens to guys with IJ and Bam's type of athletesism in the NBA, you just can't see it. IJ is going to be a max deal player if he puts in the work and seeing the type of kid he is, I have no problem saying he will be a max deal player.
Their type of athleticism?
WCS was more athletic than either of the 2 .
Ij isn't anywhere near band level when he was at UK.

I call bullshit. There is no way this is true. He was nothing but a project and he never even considered going to the draft.
Well you're wrong. He chose to come back twice. He's the only played under cal to do so. You are the one that's misremembering
He was projected a 1st rd pick and those stats I posted last night, blocks were the 3rd slot .
Ij avg .4 more

They are the exact same player man.

As for Brooks waiting for Jacksons decision, Brooks is going to play a lot even if Jackson comes back. Getting in foul trouble is something that's not easy for quick jumpers like Jackson to correct. He is so aggressive that it will always be a problem, although he can get better at not getting in to foul trouble as much. I like his aggressive play that's what makes him special. I don't know if that's what Brooks is waiting for or not but there is room for both and plenty of playing time.

But they aren't similar at all. There is nothing similar about the two player's beyond the fact that they play the same position.
WCS really didn't improve his stats all that much the 3 years he was at UK, his junior year stats are very similar to his freshman stats. If Jackson stayed here 3 years, there's no way he would only average 8ppg as a Junior. You also have to look at the point guards Willie had in his last two years, if IJ had Andrew and Ulis, this wouldn’t be close.
The fact that you think they are similar players, is telling. Their stats might be similar in year 1, but IJ is on another level.
It's very telling that you believe they aren't. I think you should go back and watch some highlights of willie
Yea his stats didn't get better because he had to play with about 10 NBA draft picks smh lol.
His stats aren't better but yet the nba drafted him 6th at 20 years old

Ij comes back and he will be 20 next draft. He won't be the 6th pick.

Reactions: 420grover
It's very telling that you believe they aren't. I think you should go back and watch some highlights of willie
Yea his stats didn't get better because he had to play with about 10 NBA draft picks smh lol.
His stats aren't better but yet the nba drafted him 6th at 20 years old

Ij comes back and he will be 20 next draft. He won't be the 6th pick.
You do understand that the term "Max deal" has nothing to do with where a player gets drafted, right? Your last sentence tells me you don’t understand how it works.

It’s the second contract that really matters in the NBA. While going lottery is great, it's what you do after that that matters.

I'm saying IJ's second deal is where he will score a max deal. Willie never learned how to shoot and that's why he has bounced around the league and never scored a max deal. I believe IJ has the ability to do what Bam did.

I like both players, I'm not dumping on Willie, but I think IJ can be a great player.

As for Brooks waiting for Jacksons decision, Brooks is going to play a lot even if Jackson comes back. Getting in foul trouble is something that's not easy for quick jumpers like Jackson to correct. He is so aggressive that it will always be a problem, although he can get better at not getting in to foul trouble as much. I like his aggressive play that's what makes him special. I don't know if that's what Brooks is waiting for or not but there is room for both and plenty of playing time.

I disagree.
And it us not IJ alone. It is Oscar, and Collins, and Toppin and that we may see Allen and Grady or maybe even Fredrick at the 3 a good bit. So there may only be 100min per game to slit among 5 guys, if IJ and Brooks return. And I’m not sure he’s not 5th.

Brooks will be a junior and I would say he will see plenty of playing time knowing Cals system and being healthy. Brooks is an offensive threat and will be valuable in Cals offense, last year he never got going because of the injury and still had some really good games.

Reactions: RondoBaller21
Because nothing is a sure thing.
Come back and bet on yourself- if worried about an injury take out insurance like a lot of players do- the difference in being the #8 pick and the #20 pick in salary the first 4 years is over 2x- huge difference in $$

You do understand that the term "Max deal" has nothing to do with where a player gets drafted, right? Your last sentence tells me you don’t understand how it works.

It’s the second contract that really matters in the NBA. While going lottery is great, it's what you do after that that matters.

I'm saying IJ's second deal is where he will score a max deal. Willie never learned how to shoot and that's why he has bounced around the league and never scored a max deal. I believe IJ has the ability to do what Bam did.

I like both players, I'm not dumping on Willie, but I think IJ can be a great player.
I never said anything about max deal
U did
I fully understand how it works
I just think you are selling WCS potential short when he was leaving UK.
He was the top defensive player we have had at uk not named Anthony Davis. His ability to go straight up and not lean his arms into the offensive player made him next level. Speed and 2nd jump of an elite 6'5 guard

Bam was a different specimen than ij. Bam came to work and not worry about what he looked like while doing so. IJ has to much of a pretty boy vibe unless he changes.

I like both players alot aswell

I never said anything about max deal
U did
I fully understand how it works
I just think you are selling WCS potential short when he was leaving UK.
He was the top defensive player we have had at uk not named Anthony Davis. His ability to go straight up and not lean his arms into the offensive player made him next level. Speed and 2nd jump of an elite 6'5 guard

Bam was a different specimen than ij. Bam came to work and not worry about what he looked like while doing so. IJ has to much of a pretty boy vibe unless he changes.

I like both players alot aswell
Why are you looking at this like I'm wronging WCS??? Are you his mom?

Does WCS have a max deal in the NBA or not? The answer is no and he's never going to get one, he just never developed an offensive game and that doesn't mean IJ will do the same.

You keep wanting to take this back to their playing time at UK, my point has nothing to do with that. You came at me when I said IJ has max deal written all over him. You said he was similar to WCS, well that's fine, but you're quoting what they did at UK, that doesn't matter when it comes to their NBA careers.

You keep saying I'm putting WCS down, but that's not what's happening here, I'm complementing IJ by saying he's got the ability to be a max deal player. YOU'RE stuck on what they did at UK.

Sone of you guys are in such a hurry to accuse people of being negative that you overlook what's actually being said.

Why are you looking at this like I'm wronging WCS??? Are you his mom?

Does WCS have a max deal in the NBA or not? The answer is no and he's never going to get one, he just never developed an offensive game and that doesn't mean IJ will do the same.

You keep wanting to take this back to their playing time at UK, my point has nothing to do with that. You came at me when I said IJ has max deal written all over him. You said he was similar to WCS, well that's fine, but you're quoting what they did at UK, that doesn't matter when it comes to their NBA careers.

You keep saying I'm putting WCS down, but that's not what's happening here, I'm complementing IJ by saying he's got the ability to be a max deal player. YOU'RE stuck on what they did at UK.

Sone of you guys are in such a hurry to accuse people of being negative that you overlook what's actually being said.
I was just responding to what you said. You were putting him down.
Anytime someone disagrees with you, you ask if they are a players mom or wife lol very bizare.
I keep pointing out their time at uk because that's what I originally stated. He had more upside than Jackson At this stage . Just let it go Jeffrey

Simple. If he plays like he projects to next year he's costing himself millions by going pro now.

6.7 million the first 3 years at pick 21
8.9 million the first 3 years at pick 15
11.4 million the first 3 years at pick 10

10.8 million at pick 11
10.3 million at pick 12
9.4 million at pick 14

I don't know about Isaiah Jackson, but 8.9 million over 3 years sure looks a hell of a lot better to me than 6.7 million. I don't know about Isaiah Jackson, but I want to make as much money in my career as possible. Not just the second contract. I want the most I think I can get in my first, second, and third contract. God willing.

I was just responding to what you said. You were putting him down.
Anytime someone disagrees with you, you ask if they are a players mom or wife lol very bizare.
I keep pointing out their time at uk because that's what I originally stated. He had more upside than Jackson At this stage . Just let it go Jeffrey
What? Where did I put WCS down? No, you started saying IJ was the same player as WCS, because they both played at UK, both played the same position and are both tall. So in actuality, you were knocking IJ down by saying he's not capable of getting a max deal. See how that works? See how I avoided calling you out for being negative? You and the rest of the Cal nut huggers should learn how to do that.

As far as me claiming someone is a players mom or dad, are you kidding me? Hyperbowl much? You said "every time". Really? I call Bassfan "Ellen", well, because he acts like it and you were acting like you were WCS' mom. You don't have to like it, but you were.

All I was doing was complimenting Jackson by saying he had Max deal written all over him and you come out of nowhere to knock him down. Why?

Simple. If he plays like he projects to next year he's costing himself millions by going pro now.

10.8 million at pick 11
10.3 million at pick 12
9.4 million at pick 14

I don't know about Isaiah Jackson, but 8.9 million over 3 years sure looks a hell of a lot better to me than 6.7 million. I don't know about Isaiah Jackson, but I want to make as much money in my career as possible. Not just the second contract. I want the most I think I can get in my first, second, and third contract. God willing.
The problem is, he will get better quicker at the next level. He will be playing with/against pros, he can work out 24/7 (without restrictions) and he'll be working with NBA caliber coaches. Plus, the NBA plays a sligjtly different type of game that allows players freedom of movement on offense, they emphasize scoring.

I hope he comes back, but I would understand if he didn’t.

10.8 million at pick 11
10.3 million at pick 12
9.4 million at pick 14

How much does he make if he gets hurt and goes undrafted?

Last edited:
Most here are not calculating the math correctly.

If Jackson flakes out and gets only his rookie contract, he will achieve higher career earning if he can raise his draft prospect.

That is a big if, assuming 1) he doesn't get hurt, and 2) he improves and get drafted top 10 in a stronger PF/C draft. Stagnating his second year or marginally improving in college pretty much will guarantee that he goes undrafted next year.

What you guys are missing is that not leaving college leaves you with one fewer year of career NBA earning. That extra year after his rookie contract could be a $15-30m year depending on he develops during his rookie contract.

Essentially, in the worst case scenario, Jackson is losing millions more in one year of NBA mid-career earning over potentially losing out a few millions on a rookie contract.

There is 0 incentive for any first rounder/early 2nd rounder to stay in college. The math simply does not work unless you bank on yourself leaving the league after 3-4 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT