ADVERTISEMENT

IU and Archie

Blueaz

All-American
Gold Member
Jul 7, 2009
Phoenix
So, I have a patient who is very connected at IU...he knows the coaching situation there very well...
He jumped of Clappy's ship more that two seasons ago...Today, I asked what he thought of Archie, he said "I am more of a UK fan than IU, if that tells you anything."
He wanted Alfred. He said Alfred was ready to take the job, but some of the reagents, at the last second were afraid of the Iowa scandal.

for those that don't know the scandal...
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ford-sexual-assault-pierce-iowa-2002/2074995/

Last edited:
Reactions: UKvisitor
I think IU will be happy they don't have Alford (or Alfred)

but whether Archie is successful or not is a big question mark. He has to rebuild a brand at a time where its hard to change the pecking order.

Alfred?

68_F7469_C-_DD8_B-4436-_AE87-6_DBA31_ACC567-8855-000008.jpg

He us one hell of a coach and motivator. Probably in the top five of young coaches . I as hoping he would be available when Cal leaves.

The only question mark ( and this is a huge one) is whether he can recruit at a top ten level program. I have no idea. But the if he can he will give us fits.

Reactions: blubo
I've seen people going "ga-ga" over this hire, but I really don't think it's what I'd call a "home run" hire. I think he can get them to be a tournament team each year, but after years of mediocrity, Indiana needed a "home run" and I really don't think he is.

Reactions: Blueaz
It will be telling whether he can start to keep the highest in-state guys. They have quite a few relatively speaking.

Not sure if the Langford boat has sailed for IU already or not.

He us one hell of a coach and motivator. Probably in the top five of young coaches . I as hoping he would be available when Cal leaves.

The only question mark ( and this is a huge one) is whether he can recruit at a top ten level program. I have no idea. But the if he can he will give us fits.
He's offering 3 and 4 star players (low 4 stars - 80-110), so it appears his recruiting thus far is not top ten.

Only ones wanting Alford are those who don't pay attention to college basketball or the old guard fans who are 55+. Archie to me was a solid hire not great but not awful. We'll see where it goes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT