ADVERTISEMENT

IU’s culture is the problem

TheWyldKat

Senior
Mar 13, 2016
The culture of Indiana his Fanbase is the main reason why they will never ever be relevant again.

At Kentucky we want the best of the best. Doesn’t matter if they are from Washington state, Georgia, or Canada. Indiana fans are enamored with only getting players from the state of Indiana. They’re talking about a player who I have never heard of with the last name Leal. The kid is from Indiana and will possibly commit Friday.

Until those morons wake up and demand the best of the best they’re looking at another 40 years of sub par play in the big 10 and no NCAA titles.

1987!!!

So true. A big IU fan I know (hates UK; big Knight guy) always asks sarcastically how many Kentucky natives are on the team. I just say Cal takes the best of the best, good character kids and has the winning results to prove it. And that Knight has a career losing record against Kentucky and will take that to his grave. That usually shuts him up.

The culture of Indiana his Fanbase is the main reason why they will never ever be relevant again.

At Kentucky we want the best of the best. Doesn’t matter if they are from Washington state, Georgia, or Canada. Indiana fans are enamored with only getting players from the state of Indiana. They’re talking about a player who I have never heard of with the last name Leal. The kid is from Indiana and will possibly commit Friday.

Until those morons wake up and demand the best of the best they’re looking at another 40 years of sub par play in the big 10 and no NCAA titles.

1987!!!
Good luck with getting the best in-state players, IU. Other programs have been mining that state for decades.

Kentucky has made a living from the state of Indiana taking some of the best players they have produced, just to name a few and there are more.
Cliff Barker
Louie Dampier
Tommy Kron
Roger Harden
James Blackmon
Jim Masters
Kyle Macy
Sean Woods
Walter McCarty
Trey Lyles
Marquis Teague
Keion Brooks

Everything about iu feels antiquated. Why would any 18 year want to go there, honestly? Their arena is outdated, jerseys/warmups are hideous, fans question any player who doesn’t stick around 4 years, and as a whole they are still stuck under the knight cloud (and many don’t seem to want to move on from knight).

It’s amazing that a program with the resources and fan support, like iu, just continues to spin around aimlessly.

Indiana still worships bobby knight. Until they especially the boosters get over knight they will suck forever. Every coach that goes there has to listen to coach knight wouldn't have done it this way, why did you do that coach knight would never have allowed that to happen. They still worship him and until they get over that mentality, Indiana will never be a national power again. That is my humble opinion.

The Kelvin Sampson fiasco set them back the most.

They had their GOAT in Knight...he was slipping at the end. He's fired and they have to bring in Davis who isn't ready nor qualified for the job. It was the typical end of a legend and trying to find the right replacement. Their hand was forced.

Finally they get Sampson. That was the right hire and he had them back at the right level. But...then too many phone calls and a probation later...they're at rock bottom. They have to save face and get the safe hire...got Crean'ed! They have to be patient with him...extend him at the first sign of success...then he sinks. And then have to move quick to get Archie...who isn't ready either.

Their program is de-valued. It isn't cool. They have a good brand in the state...but no one cares anymore. You have Notre Dame, Purdue, Butler, and Fort Wayne (lol) to compete with in their state for attention. The Pacers are now a big event....Peyton Manning made the Colts the biggest brand in that state. They have an old and ugly arena...with ugly candy-stripe warmups. They haven't been to a Final Four since 2002.

The white kid shooting on a backyard goal doesn't dream of Indiana anymore...Bobby Knight days are gone and the kids that remember are in their 40's and 50's. Those kids think about Duke now. The elite recruits and national viewing kids only see Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, UNC, etc....as the cool schools. Michigan State is a bigger brand in their own conference.

Indiana really just does suck. Just kind of astounding how bad they fell off. Just so completely irrelevant lol.

Reactions: kl40504
Their board reminds me so much of trying to rationalize recruiting during some of the Tubby era and 2 years under BCG. I fell hook, line and sinker trying so hard to convince myself that we were going to be good with the recruits we were bringing in. That's what their board is right now.

The best comment on this Leal guy is the poster who said, "If he picks IU, I hope he is the next Jordan Hulls"

Their board reminds me so much of trying to rationalize recruiting during some of the Tubby era and 2 years under BCG. I fell hook, line and sinker trying so hard to convince myself that we were going to be good with the recruits we were bringing in. That's what their board is right now.

The best comment on this Leal guy is the poster who said, "If he picks IU, I hope he is the next Jordan Hulls"
I remember arguing with friends in school...they would tell me how good things were at UK with comments like..

"Man, Bobby Perry is so good"
"These freshman (Meeks, Harris, Stevenson, Jasper) are gonna take us to the next level."

Last edited:
I remember arguing with friends in school...they would tell me how good things were at UK with comments like..

"Many bobby Perry is so good"
"These freshman (Meeks, Harris, Stevenson, Jasper) are gonna take us to the next level."
When Dakotah Euton announced he was going to UK, I distinctly remember talking to my dad on the phone and telling him that BCG is going to be be awesome getting Kentucky kids.

WTH was wrong with me. I think I was drugged.

1987!!!
As an IU fan(aka one of those morons), alas, I can't really argue with this. sad face

iu-lol1.jpg

I think honestly that Indiana kids are the only players they can get. Their fans have convinced themselves these players will suffice - until the games begin. Then another NIT ( if they're lucky) with them complaining the entire season.

The cycle then begins again with them gushing over a player from Seymour rated #161.

When Dakotah Euton announced he was going to UK, I distinctly remember talking to my dad on the phone and telling him that BCG is going to be be awesome getting Kentucky kids.

WTH was wrong with me. I think I was drugged.

Lol. I watched some tape on Euton after he announced and was blasted on the board for saying that he couldn't play. I have no idea what BCG was trying to do. The kid had a below average career at Asbury.

Sorta off topic but the UL situation sorta reminds me of the situation IU has been in for awhile. Extremely successful coach forced out not because they can’t coach, but for being assholes and thinking they are the program, above reproach etc. other words ego. And fan bases split between support for or against them. Just seems eerily similar, and wouldn’t surprise me if UL is irrelevant as long as IU has been, one can only hope.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Their biggest problem is they CANT recruit the best of the best in their state. If they could get the top 3 in their state every year and supplement that they might be relevant again.. until they can do that they wont be..

Reactions: qwesley
Lol. I watched some tape on Euton after he announced and was blasted on the board for saying that he couldn't play. I have no idea what BCG was trying to do. The kid had a below average career at Asbury.

I went to see him and that guard that was on his team (cant remember his name but think he signed with Gtown). I took one look at his "kankles" and VERY low calf muscles and said " this guy is no way HIGH D-1". After watching the game I knew he would never make it at UK. That was the first inclination that BCG might not be the right fit here..

IU is behind three other in state schools in recruiting, winning, and tournament appearances in recent memory. IU is a shell of it's former self. Not at all joking when I say the are as close to Div2 as to being a blue blood. I live in central Indy, and nobody talks about IU basketball, ever.

I'm proud to be raised in the Midwest, with good God fearing UK fan parents (...but U6 grads, lol). But IU fans are completely silent now. They don't even bring up IU basketball if I'm wearing a UK shirt or hat. Being behind enemy lines, it feels like even the entire fanbase has given up hope. Everything I ever needed to know about IU I found out when Knight was fired and I saw all the Texas Tech stuff around Indiana. That right there was fact in the face that IU fans were fans of a coach, not a school. And Duke is really close to that realization.

If I'm IU, I see one coach out there, that is an excellent coach, can recruit, and was never directly (proven) implicated in recruiting scandals that would love a big spotlight and chance to go against Kentucky again. If I'm IU, Rick would pick up the phone.

If I'm IU, I see one coach out there, that is an excellent coach, can recruit, and was never directly (proven) implicated in recruiting scandals that would love a big spotlight and chance to go against Kentucky again. If I'm IU, Rick would pick up the phone.
Rick who?

1987!!!
Hate to say it, but it all starts with recruiting. Their hot board is full of very mediocre players...

https://indiana.rivals.com/news/indiana-hoosiers-basketball-who-s-next-in-the-2020-class-

IU should do a complete makeover especially in the uniform department maybe add the players last name to the back of their jerseys, replace the candy stripe warm-up with something modern and cool, remodel the arena and get a coach that can actually coach and bring in national recruits.

Culture is one of their problems, The administration is one of their problems, their AD doesn't seem the sharpest, fans accept mediocrity except for a few like @fpeaugh @cryano, TMP is dumb. That 1 word consists of about 20% of his posts. IU will never be back to glory days, I think they will make the dance again one day

I did the same and had that same feeling when I read their board. If not for their horrible fans, I'd feel sorry for them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT