ADVERTISEMENT

It's looking really good for Acaden Lewis and Caleb Wilson to UK

Before anyone asks if this guy is legitimate all I can say is he is followed by some of the bigger names in recruiting like Joe Tipton and such. Seems to have a good track record. Pilgrim is reporting the same today as well.

The Lewis hype and him coming to Kentucky I’m fully on board with now. I think Lewis will be a cat. Wilson I’m still TBT because he has visits left still. But either way it’s great to see pope and this staff are making noise in recruiting

Before anyone asks if this guy is legitimate all I can say is he is followed by some of the bigger names in recruiting like Joe Tipton and such. Seems to have a good track record. Pilgrim is reporting the same today as well.

That would be freaking sweet and honestly huge for the staff to get a class of this caliber. Getting a player ranked that high out of state early.

The Lewis hype and him coming to Kentucky I’m fully on board with now. I think Lewis will be a cat. Wilson I’m still TBT because he has visits left still. But either way it’s great to see pope and this staff are making noise in recruiting
And there were those that was worried that Mark Pope might not be able to recruit at a level that would satisfy UK fans..... Put that worry to rest. Any coach with an ounce of work ethic can recruit at a high level at Kentucky, especially if he's got a personality like Mark Pope & plays a free wheeling style of offense that Pope coaches.

And there were those that was worried that Mark Pope might not be able to recruit at a level that would satisfy UK fans..... Put that worry to rest. Any coach with an ounce of work ethic can recruit at a high level at Kentucky, especially if he's got a personality like Mark Pope & plays a free wheeling style of offense that Pope coaches.
He needs to land them first, but I agree

That's great if we get these two to go with Moreno and Jasper but let's stop at four freshmen. If we get our 5 returnees plus 4 freshmen, that leaves room for a few transfers. I just don't think having a court full of freshmen is the way to go.

Yeah thats probably where we want to aim. Several impact freshman, and the 3-4 year guys down the rankings, if at all possible. We need to still really lean into the transfer portal to fill in the spots we need with experience.

I'm sure Pope will keep recruiting in this current class (no coach would ever just stop I guess), but I'd love to see him start laying inroads for 2026 recruits and beyond. One downside to Cal's recruiting overhaul each year, we always seemed to get these guys late, while other programs were sometimes getting their main targets a few years early.

We are much better off with Pope at the helm AND at this point if he signs these two guys how could someone argue keeping Cal would have been better? Most average DI coaches will coach circles around Cal so this is winning on so many levels and not having to deal with the same Cal platitudes. It reminds me of Trump talking about winning and winning so much that people will be begging him to stop winning because they can't take it anymore. LOL!!!

I'm so glad Cal's gone.

We are much better off with Pope at the helm AND at this point if he signs these two guys how could someone argue keeping Cal would have been better? Most average DI coaches will coach circles around Cal so this is winning on so many levels and not having to deal with the same Cal platitudes. It reminds me of Trump talking about winning and winning so much that people will be begging him to stop winning because they can't take it anymore. LOL!!!

I'm so glad Cal's gone.
Let's see what happens -- either case we are making strides. Cal did this every year, but it didn't necessarily translate into results on court. I get the sense Coach Pope cares a lot more about being a good custodian for UK than his own legacy. I suspect he will aim to craft rosters that have the ability to driving continuity of players and better outcomes in the post season.

Let's see what happens -- either case we are making strides. Cal did this every year, but it didn't necessarily translate into results on court. I get the sense Coach Pope cares a lot more about being a good custodian for UK than his own legacy. I suspect he will aim to craft rosters that have the ability to driving continuity of players and better outcomes in the post season.
No doubt we need to take a wait and see approach. He needs to produce wins.

I just like many others am excited again about basketball.

Pope doesn't need to recruit like Cal, but if he is anywhere near Cal I truly feel it is a massive upgrade and he hasn't even coached a game.

That's great if we get these two to go with Moreno and Jasper but let's stop at four freshmen. If we get our 5 returnees plus 4 freshmen, that leaves room for a few transfers. I just don't think having a court full of freshmen is the way to go.
I gotta say, it would be kind of funny if the first full class from Pope is full of great freshman who go pro after a year.

I'm with you on this one. Get those guys and call it a day. Then shop the portal to complete the roster and get the guys returning, like you mentioned, and I think we would be looking at a very good team next season. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Just can't keep it about the recruits and thread topic. ALWAYS has to turn into a Pope v/s Cal thread. Let it go, Cal is gone. IF Pope has as great of a first 5 year run Cal had, I will be very happy. He is replacing some very big shoes. Not saying I wanted Cal to stay (I did not), but his first 5/8 years was super. IF Pope does that, we all will be very happy.

I think we need 5 in this class. We could use another developmental player. One a little taller 6’7” to 6’-8” who could go between the SF and PF. Everyone we have besides Malachi who is likely to return after next year is 6’5” or under. I doubt Garrison stays more than 2 season’s. He was a McD’s All-American. He is likely looking to get to the next level. A second year Moreno is likely a threat to him. I think if we could get to a point where 2 really significant portal guys complete your class, we are really good. There are going to be far fewer really good ones with experience now that they can’t play forever/6 years.

Just can't keep it about the recruits and thread topic. ALWAYS has to turn into a Pope v/s Cal thread. Let it go, Cal is gone. IF Pope has as great of a first 5 year run Cal had, I will be very happy. He is replacing some very big shoes. Not saying I wanted Cal to stay (I did not), but his first 5/8 years was super. IF Pope does that, we all will be very happy.
You're fighting a losing war if you expect people on a Kentucky sports message board to suddenly stop talking about a guy who left our program a few months ago for a conference rival.

Cal's still relevant for about two dozen Kentucky-related reasons. He will continue to be talked about, and rightfully so.

I gotta say, it would be kind of funny if the first full class from Pope is full of great freshman who go pro after a year.
We need to get away from one & done kids. Not just Cal but no other coach wins big with freshmen that leave after their freshman class. I will promise you, Wilson is a one & done kid.

We need to get away from one & done kids. Not just Cal but no other coach wins big with freshmen that leave after their freshman class. I will promise you, Wilson is a one & done kid.
I get your point, but Stephon Castle from last year’s UConn team says that is not completely correct. One and done, NCAA Champion and top 5 draft pick. You are not likely to do it with a team full or team dominated by Freshman, but you can do it with the right one and done.

Yes I think that his offense will be a huge sell to players, plus the pay and exposure here will attract plenty. I think he will do fantastic especially if we build with transfers and have a core group of 2-3 year players.

I'd be okay with that as long as it translates to winning on the court.
I agree, win and win big and make a good showing in the tournament. Reload with shooters that will see how we play and that will recruit its self. Similar to Bama but a better coach. IMO

Reactions: Fox2monk
Comparing Pope and Cal is an insult to Pope. He has done nothing but shown that the university and the program ranks above players and NBA. He has done nothing but promoted Kentucky since his arrival. He has shown Kentucky players that the state's largest university has a scholarship for them if they are up to the challenge. It also appears that the bait he uses is the name on the front of the jersey and his coaching style instead of an OAD promise to the NBA.

Last edited:
Five top-25 freshmen, 5 returnees, and round out the rest of the roster with developmental players from the portal, JUCO, and high school. The big roster churn can end quickly.

Five top-25 freshmen, 5 returnees, and round out the rest of the roster with developmental players from the portal, JUCO, and high school. The big roster churn can end quickly.
Five Top 25 recruits is a little ambitious,.. If we get 5, personally I would like to see 1 of the remaining three be a SF/PF around the 6'8" range who knows he is coming in for some minor PT this year, but has the potential to get solid minutes, maybe starter minutes in years 2 & 3. I am thinking of a player from the 35-75 range. Someone like a Nikolas Khamenia or Aleks Alston(not sure what his stats are, but has a nice stroke and looks to have reach/defensive potential). Not saying we should or could get either, but someone who isn't quite top tier, but close, wants to win, has some upside and is willing to develop at a very top level school.

If you are recruiting guys out of High School who cannot provide some solid minutes by year 2, we are not likely recruiting the right guys. Those are guys that will eventually end up somewhere else and at the same time, I just don't believe you can successfully turnover 7-8 guys every year whether from one-n-done or portal. Some of these guys have to be somewhat a diamond in the rough.

Five Top 25 recruits is a little ambitious,.. If we get 5, personally I would like to see 1 of the remaining three be a SF/PF around the 6'8" range who knows he is coming in for some minor PT this year, but has the potential to get solid minutes, maybe starter minutes in years 2 & 3. I am thinking of a player from the 35-75 range. Someone like a Nikolas Khamenia or Aleks Alston(not sure what his stats are, but has a nice stroke and looks to have reach/defensive potential). Not saying we should or could get either, but someone who isn't quite top tier, but close, wants to win, has some upside and is willing to develop at a very top level school.

If you are recruiting guys out of High School who cannot provide some solid minutes by year 2, we are not likely recruiting the right guys. Those are guys that will eventually end up somewhere else and at the same time, I just don't believe you can successfully turnover 7-8 guys every year whether from one-n-done or portal. Some of these guys have to be somewhat a diamond in the rough.
I totally agree about getting guys who can develop. I’d love to find an Isaac Humphries. But when it comes to filling out the rotation for next year, I prefer fall high school recruiting over late spring portal shopping. If we have an early draft entry or transfer, then use the portal.

I totally agree about getting guys who can develop. I’d love to find an Isaac Humphries. But when it comes to filling out the rotation for next year, I prefer fall high school recruiting over late spring portal shopping. If we have an early draft entry or transfer, then use the portal.
I think we should save at least 2 spots or plan for them at least for 2 impact transfers a year. There will always be some super talented upperclassmen who can transform a team.

Reactions: BlueWorldOrder74
Yes Pope is replacing some big shoes from ccc's 1st 5 years, but not the last 8 years or so. They were pretty much forgettable, with some even embarrassing. If you want to slobber all over ccc and say he was the greatest thing since sunshine, go ahead. Me, I think he was an over paid used car salesman that thumbed his nose at the university, his boss, the fans, and the tradition. He was/is an arrogant clown that could not out coach a grade school coach. He could not accept the fact that the fans could see thru his games and favoritism which caused unacceptable losses to inferior opponents and the inability to compete with top tier teams. In the end, this same arrogance cost him his job @ UK. For that, I am grateful.

Yes Pope is replacing some big shoes from ccc's 1st 5 years, but not the last 8 years or so. They were pretty much forgettable, with some even embarrassing. If you want to slobber all over ccc and say he was the greatest thing since sunshine, go ahead. Me, I think he was an over paid used car salesman that thumbed his nose at the university, his boss, the fans, and the tradition. He was/is an arrogant clown that could not out coach a grade school coach. He could not accept the fact that the fans could see thru his games and favoritism which caused unacceptable losses to inferior opponents and the inability to compete with top tier teams. In the end, this same arrogance cost him his job @ UK. For that, I am grateful.
Well said and you were probably too kind.

RCSI
#4 Wilson 6-9 205
#12 Johnson 6-4 180
#27 Moreno 7-0 245
#34 Lewis 6-2 185

to go with
SR- Oweh 6-5 210
JR- Garrison 6-11 245
SO- Chandler 6-5 190
SO- Perry 6-1 180
SO- Noah 6-6 210
SR- Horn 6-4 185
SR- Darbyshire 6-3 190

add a couple upperclassmen to that roster and look out.

I definitely want this to be true and for roster churn to end, but will playing time and the potential of the NBA draft prevent year-to-year continuity ?? If we get the "right guys" and the NIL$$$ is sufficient, I assume continuity can be the usual going forward. GO CATS !!

Last edited:
Didn’t necessarily translate into results on the court? Didn’t translate into results on the court.

Reactions: chroix
RCSI
#4 Wilson 6-9 205
#12 Johnson 6-4 180
#27 Moreno 7-0 245
#34 Lewis 6-2 185

to go with
SR- Oweh 6-5 210
JR- Garrison 6-11 245
SO- Chandler 6-5 190
SO- Perry 6-1 180
SO- Noah 6-6 210
SR- Horn 6-4 185
SR- Darbyshire 6-3 190

add a couple upperclassmen to that roster and look out.
Add a pure pass first PG, a starter quality SF and a backup/stretch 4 from the portal and that roster is complete.

OK, obviously you do not possess reading comprehension skills. Did you not read the part where I said "I wanted Cal gone" ? But I will bite and break down your BS that the first 5 years was all Cal did good.

6th year- 14-15 - 38-1 - Final Four
7th year- 15-16 - 27-9 - SEC reg. season champ / SEC Tournament champ
8th year- 16-17 - 32-6 - SEC reg. season champ / SEC tournament champ - Elite 8 / #5 in the final AP poll.
10th year- 18-19 - 30-7 - 2nd in SEC / Elite 8 / #8 in the final AP poll.
11th year- 19-20 - 25-6 - 1st in the SEC, no tournament.

Only a blind, bull headed, hater could make a claim that ONLY the first 5 years was acceptable. IF Pope can have any one of the first 11 out of 12 Cal coached years at UK, he (and fans) will be very happy. Not being a Cal lover at all, but I am intelligent enough and can withhold my hate for Cal to look at the facts. There is not any facts you can use to debunk ANYTHING I posted in regards to Cal only being good his first 5 years. Hell, even I was wrong, I said first 5-8, more like first 11 years. Facts are facts, blind hate is blind hate. Sure his last 3/4 years was not acceptable, anyone with a brain knows that, but that was not the debate. By the way, I didn't really take you serious when you posted the " slobber over ccc" and "used car salesman". Both of those childish digs let me know I can't have an intelligent debate with you, you will NEVER look at facts, just use hate and silly kiddy nicknames for your retort. Now run along, I am done smacking you around using facts. Try it sometime, it might give you a little credibility when debating.

I am very exciting for the Pope era to begin at UK. He brings a lot of positive energy and excitement that has been missing at UK for a few years now. In the end, he has to (and I believe he will) win. Now I will ask you one last question ( I do not know why, but,,,) what do you predict for UK in Pope's first year ? Won / loss record, conference and post season results ???? Pretty sure if you answer that HONESTLY, it will be somewhere in the Cal first 11 year results.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT