ADVERTISEMENT

It’s time to have a discussion about Scott Drew & Baylor these last 5 years. (2023)

How do you explain first weekend exits from the tournament the past 3 years in a row? That won’t cut it at UK.
Well, let’s see how often it has happened to us

2000, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, (no tourney in 2009, 2013), 2016, (no tourney 2021), 2022, 2023, 2024.

In the past decade, we’ve had a losing season, and four first weekend exits.

Reactions: chroix
You’re stoked even though Mitch didn’t even try for Donovan?
You want to wait anywhere from a week to possibly a month to get an answer from a coach who has turned us down twice before and hasn’t coached a college game in 10 years? I mean really think about that for a second.

Reactions: chroix

2000, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, (no tourney in 2009, 2013), 2016, (no tourney 2021), 2022, 2023, 2024.

Wow!!!! Hard to imagine we are only getting past first weekend 50% of the time last 24 years.

Reactions: HeismaNole
What has he done more recently? Say, last 2 yrs? New trend started. Same as Cal. Further away from the title the worse his record looks.

How about this week? Didn’t win any games this week did he? LOSER!!!

Over the last 5 years, Drew is statistically the #2 coach in the country! And yet somehow that is not good enough for some of the fans on here? Insanity

Reactions: AirRaid08
Cal couldn’t carry Drew’s clipboard when it comes to X & O’s and actual coaching. Drew comes from a coaching family. It’s in his blood. His Dad is in the college hall of fame. His brother took Grand Canyon to the NCAA & was at Vandy. These guys live for basketball.

He’s not as flashy as Cal and not on Cal’s level as a recruiter (but he’s not a Bad recruiter like BCG or even Tubby). I guarantee you he constructs a more stable roster/program. I also guarantee you he wont stand on the sideline and yell “Gooooooooooooo”

I have no memory of their tournaments a decade ago. But wiki says they lost as a 2-seed to 10-seed Stanford in 2014 and as a 2-seed to 7-seed Wichita State in 2015.
I looked it up, they were both in the sweet 16. I’m not trying to argue with you. I’m sorry I’m not excited about the hire of Scott Drew, I just don’t see it

My point exactly, and that coach isn’t here anymore. Same thing with Tubby.

I looked it up, they were both in the sweet 16. I’m not trying to argue with you. I’m sorry I’m not excited about the hire of Scott Drew, I just don’t see it
A 2-seed can’t face a 10 or 7-seed in anything but the second round or the FF.

People need to stop worrying about the first weekend exits. The total records are more indicative of future success than a one game sample in any year.

Virginia lost to a 16 seed, then turned around the next year and won a title.
Purdue lost to a 16 seed, then turned around the next year and made a final.

I know that it absolutely sucks when it happens to the team you are rooting for but it is in no way a reflection of what will happen the following year and in the future.

If you have consistently good teams and Drew has had that past 5 years, then you're good. Period.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT