ADVERTISEMENT

Is Whitney ok?

mcwildcats04

All-SEC
Jul 19, 2003
Bit of a nasty fall at the end. I heard one of the announcers say something along the lines of him possibly popping his elbow into place. He looked in pain initially on the bench but then seemed to be okay. Any update?

We need his potential unlocked bad!
No doubt! Hope he's fine. I'm sure he will be. I think the announcer was just speculating that it looked like he popped something back into place like what you would do if you had a dislocation. But he seemed in good spirits at the very end.

I see one of the reasons there's been so many injured/banged up guys so far. Hell, we're playing about as an unorganized sloppy mess as you can play offensively. And defensively, we don't look all that great either. Making everything look 10 times harder than it should be as well.

Diallo is prob one of the best athletes in the world and prob didn’t have 10 dunks the entire year. I see the same thing with Whitney just not fluid and using his athletic ability. Really blowing my mind.
Can't handle well enough to get to the rim.
This was on full display in the McDonald's game but I got blasted for saying as much " based on a meaningless all star game".
We just have to face facts that KW struggles with dribbling and shooting a basketball.
Why he was proclaimed to be one of the 15 best HS basketball players in the US is a topic for another discussion.

Reactions: Mossip
This was on full display in the McDonald's game but I got blasted for saying as much " based on a meaningless all star game".
We just have to face facts that KW struggles with dribbling and shooting a basketball.
Why he was proclaimed to be one of the 15 best HS basketball players in the US is a topic for another discussion.
I saw it too in the all star games, especially the shooting touch. What I can’t understand for both Whitney and Diallo is where is the alley oops, put back dunks, running in transition, these are things where you just use your athletic ability. I guess a lot of that goes back to Cal not pressing and playing full court but these guys just can’t seem to unleash all this athletic ability we have heard about!

I’d say a dislocated finger would mess with his shooting form but it might actually help.

I saw it too in the all star games, especially the shooting touch. What I can’t understand for both Whitney and Diallo is where is the alley oops, put back dunks, running in transition, these are things where you just use your athletic ability. I guess a lot of that goes back to Cal not pressing and playing full court but these guys just can’t seem to unleash all this athletic ability we have heard about!
Haven't really seen the fire from Whitney yet either.
He is after all nicknamed "The Dragon".
He should watch some old film on Hesimu Evans.
Seems that's the style of play he could be effective with while using that athletisism.

Seems that's the style of play he could be effective with while using that athletisism.
Yeah, that's what I am saying, if you can't shoot or dribble find a way to use your athletic ability. If not then there is no reason to be on the floor and let Juzang get the minutes.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Yeah, that's what I am saying, if you can't shoot or dribble find a way to use your athletic ability. If not then there is no reason to be on the floor and let Juzang get the minutes.

It does seem that we favor defense a bit too much. And you could argue that good offensive players, when hitting shots, will help the defense on the other end get set up.

I'm not sure Cal is ready to give Juzang his due.. but last night definitely helped. If his defense is suspect, but he can hit shots.. so be it.

He is a freshman . Evans was great when he was a junior and senior. It takes a while , just like it did with Herro , Towns , Randle and so on for most freshman to get used to and comfortable with the college game. Whitney is a lotto pick in this draft for a reason and he will show it ( he has shown some already ) .

Whitney is mediocre right now which isn’t terribly uncommon for a freshman. He has the rest of the year to grow and develop.

He is a freshman . Evans was great when he was a junior and senior. It takes a while , just like it did with Herro , Towns , Randle and so on for most freshman to get used to and comfortable with the college game. Whitney is a lotto pick in this draft for a reason and he will show it ( he has shown some already ) .
I have not seen Whitney do one thing all year where I was like damn that is why he will be a one and done.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
I have no reason to dislike Whitney, seems like a good dude.. but I wouldn't be heartbroken if he missed a few games. As the team figures out an offense an identity, Juzang and IQ (when healthy) need minutes, not so much Whitney.

Any player who is willing to sprint the floor with a finger out of socket and then go up for a rebound/actually tie it up and would've been UK's possession if refs made right call is good with me. You can and will win with people who have that competitiveness and toughness.

Offensively he/Brooks are having to adjust from how they played to how they need to play. I saw some progress early with the pull up where Whitney took 1 dribble--he's got 2 max instead of the 3/4 he was taking in Blue-White or Exhibitions. He's got to rid himself of that stand/hold/jack up 3 attempt he's done as it kills a possession but he's got the upside, just needs to accept certain things. But toughness is something this team needs and the plays he/Juzang made last night were big steps for the improvement of the team.

Diallo is prob one of the best athletes in the world and prob didn’t have 10 dunks the entire year. I see the same thing with Whitney just not fluid and using his athletic ability. Really blowing my mind.
Exactly, Derek Willis had more rim rocking dunks at UK than Diallo ever did.

Reactions: chroix and STL_Cat
This was on full display in the McDonald's game but I got blasted for saying as much " based on ameaningless all star game".
I think a lot of guys are ranked high because of their athletic ability and potential basketball skills, key word being potential. I look at Alex Poythress, the guy is chiseled, a tremendous athlete, but he never became a great basketball player. It’s up to Cal, the staff, and Whitney to turn that athleticism into basketball skills.

Wholeheartedly disagree. What you see is what you get.

I went and watched Kahlil play in person a handful of times while he was in high school. As I said many times in the off-season, if he is forced to stand around on the perimeter in Cal’s typical offense he will be borderline useless.

At this stage in his career, Kahlil Whitney is only productive in a free flowing fast paced game. As long as the offense continues to be what it is, this kid will never flourish.

He really is just a taller version of Hamidou Diallo at UK, he doesn’t have the shooting or ball handling abilities to create offense on his own.

If we play any teams that try to push the pace and run us out of the building (we won’t), then you’ll be able to see him really impact a game. As long as he’s stuck standing on the perimeter in a half court set waiting for a kick out to try and take someone off the dribble, he will continue to be exactly what you’ve been seeing.

Cal’s offense is just a terrible fit for the kid, like a handful of others over the past few years.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
Wholeheartedly disagree. What you see is what you get.

I went and watched Kahlil play in person a handful of times while he was in high school. As I said many times in the off-season, if he is forced to stand around on the perimeter in Cal’s typical offense he will be borderline useless.

At this stage in his career, Kahlil Whitney is only productive in a free flowing fast paced game. As long as the offense continues to be what it is, this kid will never flourish.

He really is just a taller version of Hamidou Diallo at UK, he doesn’t have the shooting or ball handling abilities to create offense on his own.

If we play any teams that try to push the pace and run us out of the building (we won’t), then you’ll be able to see him really impact a game. As long as he’s stuck standing on the perimeter in a half court set waiting for a kick out to try and take someone off the dribble, he will continue to be exactly what you’ve been seeing.

Cal’s offense is just a terrible fit for the kid, like a handful of others over the past few years.
Totally agree.
The best fit at SF in Cal's offense is a tall guard.
Say what you want about Young but he was damn good as a frosh.
His handle and shot every bit as good as Aaron's.
MKG wasn't a big guard but he was a good ballhandler and had an all world motor.
I think Cal is definitely on the right track with BJ and T Clarke at the wings, they will both thrive.

Keldon Johnson would’ve played 34 mpg on this team.
Yep, and probably sitting at 4-0 as the #1 team. Some fans, me included, after a few games, were a little hard on him. It’s sports, and that’s what fans do. But only because we care about our team so much! Absolutely miss KJ this season, but you can’t pass up the $$, so good for him.

Wow! Hope that happens like you project! If so you are a legend predicting the lottery! Not seeing it but hope I do! Like to see him adapt a MKG style but if he can’t dribble would be tough. He did hit a nice 1 dribble mid range jumper and got out on the break for one. Hope he continues to run those lanes hard and finishes

Whitney in 25 minutes had 5 rebounds. Brooks in 14 minutes had 4 rebounds. Juzang in 18 minutes had 2 rebounds. Whitney is the least active of these three and the least offensive threat. If Whitney is not going to be dominate on the boards and is not a lock down defender, why would any coach not want the most active player that gives us some offensive productivity on the floor more?

Cal will tell you he has been doing this 35 years and you are stupid to even question him. To put it in simple terms, his recruiting 5 star players has been ridiculous. It has given us wins and put us back on the top stage the last ten years. Some of the five stars were not and are not five stars. His number 1 focus is getting them good enough to be drafted because 'these parents are trusting me.' As good as we have done, it has cost us some games and a couple of championships.

It is not just frustrating that the best players can't be on the floor most of the time, but seeing one kid getting minutes over a more talented player is tough to see. Not fair to the player or the team. When Allen gets back, it will be obvious he is better than some of the ones playing. Just like it is obvious now that the more talented and better producers are getting less minutes than the lesser talent and lesser producers.

We can't hit threes and not scoring a lot. Yet, Brooks and Juzang have to take a back seat that is costing them time on the floor to develop into serious scorers as fast as possible. Allen will join that group, and then you will have three of your players with potential to give us scoring and shooting taking a back seat. If these players were not active players it could be better understood. But they are, and if they got 25-30 minutes at a minimum, they would give us more rebounding, shooting and scoring.

Any player who is willing to sprint the floor with a finger out of socket and then go up for a rebound/actually tie it up and would've been UK's possession if refs made right call is good with me. You can and will win with people who have that competitiveness and toughness.

Offensively he/Brooks are having to adjust from how they played to how they need to play. I saw some progress early with the pull up where Whitney took 1 dribble--he's got 2 max instead of the 3/4 he was taking in Blue-White or Exhibitions. He's got to rid himself of that stand/hold/jack up 3 attempt he's done as it kills a possession but he's got the upside, just needs to accept certain things. But toughness is something this team needs and the plays he/Juzang made last night were big steps for the improvement of the team.
You do know Cal had to scream at him to get back down the floor on defense?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT