ADVERTISEMENT

Is the bloom off of the Rose for Penny at Memphis ?

Hell no, those dummies still think he is a moving van away from being Elite. Most Memphis fans think they can’t get a better coach if he leaves.

I also love to see them lose. But, did they have injuries or other issues this season? They looked decent early on although other than beating Texas A & M many of the teams they beat equally flopped. Just wondering.

Penny still has most people’s support. The media is second guessing him for his lack of coaching. I enjoy watching them stink. Makes up for living here.
Man, I feel for you. Had to drive through there last week. Woof. I'm sure, like anywhere, there are nice parts. I sure as hell didn't see them though.

So long as Penny keeps recruiting, he will likely keep his job, He's not gonna be able to do much with the recruits he gets, but that will likely keep him there. They weren't terrible this year, just not good enough coming out of the AAC. That conference only got 3 teams into the Dance and that is about all they ever get. So, Memphis would probably need to win the conference or at least the conference tournament to get in.

Reactions: KYExtemper
Those folks acted like he was the second coming of John Wooden when they chop-blocked Tubby at the knees and hired him.
wasn’t necessarily a chop block on Tubby …he wasn’t recruiting at all there, and was taking juco guys and going 19-13 / 9-9 in the league . No top 50 recruits . Had to do something , but Penny likely not the answer long term

Reactions: saxonburgcat
Memphis fans are just about dead and gone. They never were much of anything to begin with, now they’re probably just going to keep Penny because it’s all they can do. Nobody wants that job, nobody wants to live there, nobody sees Memphis as a good position.

Penny has lost a lot of what his brand was when he went there. Should have just stuck with the luck of having a good shoe brand.

The memphis job means you can’t get anything else. Calipari was in a bad spot when he took it too, so they can’t get anyone else might as well stick with the lying bullshit artist Penny Hardaway. At least people in some places have heard of him. That’s what they’re reduced to, I find it amusing.

It’s a little nothing program that’s going to stay in the mid major ranks and continue to die slowly each year. So keep the skank coach.

Ugly SOB too.

wasn’t necessarily a chop block on Tubby …he wasn’t recruiting at all there, and was taking juco guys and going 19-13 / 9-9 in the league . No top 50 recruits . Had to do something , but Penny likely not the answer long term

yeah and Tubby's record there in his 2 years is slightly worse than Penny's.

Not Penny. Not even peso at this point.

Back to being Ollllll Pocket Lint.

Can’t believe he still has gnaw support rafter sucking and dropping F bombs at a press conference. That city has gone to hell so I guess they feel he represents them fully. Man Elvis and MLK would be ashamed of Memphis today. Used to be such a nice culture, beautiful city.

You don’t drive through Germantown passing through ;)

Not so safe anymore dawg. I remember when wives could go to Kroger at 6:00 at night in Germantown.

I’ll never forget when Wolfchase opened everyone was so happy they finally had a place they could possibly survive. About 5 years later the bloods locked up the parking lot.

Not so safe anymore dawg. I remember when wives could go to Kroger at 6:00 at night in Germantown.

I’ll never forget when Wolfchase opened everyone was so happy they finally had a place they could possibly survive. About 5 years later the bloods locked up the parking lot.
Wait, do you think Wolfchase is in Germantown? Lol.

yeah and Tubby's record there in his 2 years is slightly worse than Penny's.
I guess you have to try something, Tubby was up in his 60s. He went to High Point and basically got fired. Penny is getting the players…. I bet one day he hits a good season just from talent alone. I’m not a penny fan, I just don’t blame them for trying something new as far as getting rid of Tubby. Tubby was fired from three of his last four jobs, as you have to include High Point….GG technically took the firing , as Tubby stepped down mid-season

Wait, do you think Wolfchase is in Germantown? Lol.

Just talking about when it opened when I was a kid. It’s funny looking back, everyone was just beside themselves to have a safe Mall to go to. Wolchase isn’t safe lol and wasn’t in the late 90’s either.

wolfchase is 15 minutes from Germantown. But even Germantown, man youve got to be boomer age and a little confused 🫣to feel safe there. Germantown isn’t safe either my Guy lol.

I’ll throw up a prayer for yall for sure. Lexington and Memphis is literally night and day. So different it’s stunning, all of West, Tn is really. But congrats on making it to this point.

Last edited:
I guess you have to try something, Tubby was up in his 60s. He went to High Point and basically got fired. Penny is getting the players…. I bet one day he hits a good season just from talent alone. I’m not a penny fan, I just don’t blame them for trying something new as far as getting rid of Tubby. Tubby was fired from three of his last four jobs, as you have to include High Point….GG technically took the firing , as Tubby stepped down mid-season

Your posts led me to do some research. High Point had their best season this year under Alan Huss. He is a first year coach but accomplished a monumental feat by winning the regular season title. Tubby only had 1 winning season when he went 16 and 15. Huss went 25 and 8 overall and 13 and 3 in conference. Huss might be a one hit wonder or maybe a coach to watch!

Penny has been below former Memphis coaches in terms of output....he has run thru elite prospects like Wiseman, Duren, Emoni Bates, etc... to little avail. Rose is off the proverbial bloom for kids....his appeal isn't the same in NIL/portal era. I'd argue his best years are what we've seen...not what are in years to come.

Penny
Year 1 22-14...missed NCAA
Year 2 21-10 missed NCAA
Year 3 20-8 missed NCAA
Year 4 22-11 finally made NCAA (made round of 32)
Year 5 26-9 Won conference tournament and made NCAA
Year 6 22-10 missed NCAA

Tubby...2 years and missed NCAA both year but averaged 20 wins a season

Pastnter
7 years...4 NCAA tournaments (and he made 2 sweet 16 and 2 round of 32)

Calipari....killed it at Memphis...best coach they've ever had. 9 years...6 NCAA..4 of which Final Fours

Larry Finch 11 years 6 NCAA tournaments

Your posts led me to do some research. High Point had their best season this year under Alan Huss. He is a first year coach but accomplished a monumental feat by winning the regular season title. Tubby only had 1 winning season when he went 16 and 15. Huss went 25 and 8 overall and 13 and 3 in conference. Huss might be a one hit wonder or maybe a coach to watch!
They have a great campus and facilities at High Point, especially for their level. No reason they cannot win, they just caught tubby at the tail end. I think Tubby cost himself a spot in the Hall of Fame for hanging on just too long, but that’s just my opinion. There’s a good argument he shouldn’t have been fired @ Minnesota …but they leveled off and never took off , so gotta try something . His three yr Texas Tech run ( considering the expectations they had ) was largely a disaster….18-36 in the big 12 ….but he ‘escaped ‘ for Memphis and wasn’t fired .

Reactions: saxonburgcat
Just talking about when it opened when I was a kid. It’s funny looking back, everyone was just beside themselves to have a safe Mall to go to. Wolchase isn’t safe lol and wasn’t in the late 90’s either.

wolfchase is 15 minutes from Germantown. But even Germantown, man youve got to be boomer age and a little confused 🫣to feel safe there. Germantown isn’t safe either my Guy lol.

I’ll throw up a prayer for yall for sure. Lexington and Memphis is literally night and day. So different it’s stunning, all of West, Tn is really. But congrats on making it to this point.

I’m not here to argue Wolfchase is safe. It’s not. And I don’t shop there.

Man, I’m 33 years old. I’m not confused about anything. I don’t think about my safety in Germantown a bit.

Here are some statistics for crime rankings for cities in the state of Tennessee. Only one city ranked ahead of Germantown (Brentwood) with a comparable population and they are barely ahead. Germantown has its own police department and it’s extremely well run. Officers everywhere you look. We know what we border.

Comparing Lexington to Memphis is asinine.

If Bob Huggins wants to return to coaching, this would be a good landing spot for him. I’m not saying that cynically even though it may sound that way. Huggins had a way of turning around troubled kids with talent

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT