ADVERTISEMENT

Is the 2019 LSU the greatest CFB team of all time?

Swimcat20

Blue Chip Prospect
Dec 27, 2014
Beating, Florida, Auburn, Texas, Georgia, Alabama, Oklahoma, and Clemson, yes, I'd say it was the best CFB team in my lifetime.

Reactions: Darkcide
Not sure how old you are, so don’t know what your lifetime is, but in my lifetime (born in 1976) it’s 1995 Nebraska:

Beat 4 top 10 teams by scores of 49-25, 44-21, 41-3 and 62-24
Averaged 53.2ppg and gave up 14.5ppg
Some of those teams USC had in the '70's were great as well. Nebraska was always good years ago under Bob Devaney, then Osborne. I recall when they beat Alabama in the Orange Bowl by about 40 points or so in the early '70's.

I'm 35 and other than those Nebraska teams in the mid-90s, this LSU team was the best one I've ever seen. They were simply unstoppable.

Legit question. I don't think so only because the defense wasn't completely dominating. Plenty good enough considering their offense scored basically every possession.

But they're definitely top 5. Maybe top 3

They are a good as anybody I have ever seen and I saw all of those teams mentioned. As a whole they had the best offense to me, when you got through the SEC undefeated and beat Texas and Oklahoma and then Clemson for the National Championship, it's hard to argue with that considering they beat 7 or 8 top ten teams.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Top 5 offensive teams of all time. Not top 5 overall. Defense had some weak spots. They got better as the year went on, but they got gashed in quite a few games. It was just they had the firepower on O to overcome it. Great team, one of the most fun teams to watch. Sort of reminded me of those Miami teams during their great run. Chase and Jefferson, whew. Name me two receivers on one team EVER that where better. just deadly.

I think the list starts with that 2001 Miami team with Shockey, Ed Reed, Portis, Gore, McGahee, I think the left tackle McKinney didn't allow a sack for the entire year, Andre Johnson, John Vilma, Vince Wilfolk, etc.... They were amazing to watch.

I think the 1995 Tommy Frazier Nebraska is also on the list...they just dominated teams so physically...it was eye opening how bad they routed Florida in title game. Not the big name glitz of 2001 Hurricanes but they just pounded teams into submission.

I'd argue the 2019 LSU team will be in the conversation as well when it's all said and done. We'll see how much NFL glitz Burrows, WR core, DBs will play in NFL, etc... but that scoring precision was a sight to behold all year long. They ran thru that schedule which is amazing...They did have 2 very close games in Auburn and Texas but down the stretch they routed every team (UGA, Oklahoma, even Clemson game pulled away easily in 3rd qtr).

If there was any doubt whatsoever that LSU was this year's best team it was resolved last night. They just went undefeated against Sagarin's #3 SOS.

Always hard to choose "best ever", but this LSU team is right up there with Devaney's Huskers and Switzer's Sooners.

Peace

I’ll tell you right now, this team can beat any college team with Joe Burrow behind center. Dude just had the greatest season for quarterback ever and that’s no argument

Seems like every year their is a best ever team or player.That's the last game watched,for me it was the 68 Buckeyes.Jack Tatum,Jim Otis and Rex Kern.

Best team - as in, would beat any other on a neutral field? Or most accomplished? I think LSU is the most accomplished team in history, at least modern history, and there can't be much argument about that. Beat 7 top ten teams. Beat the AP preseason top 4 (Clemson, Bama, Georgia, Oklahoma) by an average of 21 points. Highest scoring offense in history (again, against quality competition, this isn't Hawaii running up scores against Polynesian Tech). Heisman. Best season by a QB ever. Etc.

So, yeah, best season ever. Could they beat the Nebraska teams from the mid 90s or the Miami team with all the eventual superstar pros? Who knows......

1995 Nebraska
2001 Miami
2004 USC

Those are the best I remember since I started watching football.

If there was any doubt whatsoever that LSU was this year's best team it was resolved last night. They just went undefeated against Sagarin's #3 SOS.

Always hard to choose "best ever", but this LSU team is right up there with Devaney's Huskers and Switzer's Sooners.

Peace
Don’t know Sagarin’s math, but my common sense says no one played a harder schedule than LSU.

Not sure how old you are, so don’t know what your lifetime is, but in my lifetime (born in 1976) it’s 1995 Nebraska:

Beat 4 top 10 teams by scores of 49-25, 44-21, 41-3 and 62-24
Averaged 53.2ppg and gave up 14.5ppg

Born in '65, and I concur. That team was frightening.

Peace
Ha. Who had the #1 and #2 SOS? That has to be a joke.

Reactions: TeoJ
The Nebraska teams would be inferior to this LSU team. Different class of athlete now. I get it if your talking time and place. But head to head in their prime It’s not a debate. It’s LSU.

Miami is a debate but I’ve never seen a team better than this LSU team. And I been watching a long time.

Don’t know Sagarin’s math, but my common sense says no one played a harder schedule than LSU.

Per Sagarin it was: 1- South Carolina, 2-Auburn and 3-LSU.

But I agree with you, especially since LSU played two more games than Auburn and three more than South Carolina.

The Nebraska teams would be inferior to this LSU team. Different class of athlete now. I get it if your talking time and place. But head to head in their prime It’s not a debate. It’s LSU.

Miami is a debate but I’ve never seen a team better than this LSU team. And I been watching a long time.
The most difficult thing to do is compare eras. I will say that 20 members of that Nebraska team played in the NFL in the 2000’s so this is not some team from the 60’s we are taking about. Tommie Frazier would be the perfect RPO QB these days.

Speaking of Nebraska, anyone remember a bowl game between one of their juggernauts and Alabama?

IIRC, Nebraska was a big favorite and Bama had them down 35-7 at the half and held on to win. Don’t remember the final score or the year. Think it was an Osborne team.

I bet you could get a wheelbarrow full of soap on a rope out of those showers. Who is gonna bend over and pick them up!!

In my lifetime
1. 95 Nebraska
2. 20 LSU
3. 01 Miami
4. 04 USC
5. 13 FSU(people sleep on this team. A lot of pros and a heisman winner.)

Speaking of Nebraska, anyone remember a bowl game between one of their juggernauts and Alabama?

IIRC, Nebraska was a big favorite and Bama had them down 35-7 at the half and held on to win. Don’t remember the final score or the year. Think it was an Osborne team.
The last time they played in a bowl game against one another was 1972. The last time they played a close game was 1966.

FWIW, "calculating" SOS is probably the most difficult mathematical analysis of the game. Consider UofL's #15 SOS in 2018. At some point it was no longer about how good were their opponents but rather how bad was UofL.

Peace

LSU opponents won...
The ACC
The Big 12
The SEC East
The Orange Bowl
The Fiesta Bowl
The Sugar Bowl
The Citrus Bowl
The Alamo Bowl
The Texas Bowl
7 were ranked in the top 10 when they played.

Reactions: Smashcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT