ADVERTISEMENT

Is it time to rethink Bowl Games

etowncatfan

All-SEC
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2003
I understand if you are a player who stands to make Millions. You are worried about getting hurt and losing your Future. BUT...…...as players think along those lines then how many of these same players tail off at he end of their Junior or Senior Seasons.? Why have Bowl games if they aren't a true representation of the competition between the 2 schools? If our Opponent beats us without Benny Snell or Josh Allen on the field,did they really beat aTRUE UK team?? Did the fans really get the experience that they hoped for?? Maybe it is time to have a true 16 team playoff. Takes 4 weeks to crown a Champion. You incorporate that into 15 Bowl games. That way each game matters. You leave it on the field . You don't sit out.

This is a pretty new trend...

It's very disappointing and I'm not sure what can be done about it.

I can "kinda" understand Josh Allen's thinking, but Benny's whole attitude was to be a physical runner, who'd run 30 times a game without fear.

For him to not play, would surprise me more than Allen, not to mention the leadership aspect of the whole thing.

They need to rethink them anyway. Participation trophy level requirement to get one, key players sit, cost of attendance for something that doesnt actually mean anything like a championship, etc.

They are all in fun. I am glad we get more football. I am glad we get payouts from it. I am glad we are in them more frequently. But trying to convince ourselves that they matter is like trying to get excited for the NIT. Not fooling anyone.

The real answer is to fix the playoff and be done with this insanity.

There’s just to many now days. Half the teams in the county go to them now and it really waters down their worth. Josh is the only guy on the roster who is in the money right now. The rest of the guys would be mid to late round pics and don’t run the risk of losing nearly as much as Josh Allen and in some cases a bowl game may improve their stock.

I understand if you are a player who stands to make Millions. You are worried about getting hurt and losing your Future. BUT...…...as players think along those lines then how many of these same players tail off at he end of their Junior or Senior Seasons.? Why have Bowl games if they aren't a true representation of the competition between the 2 schools? If our Opponent beats us without Benny Snell or Josh Allen on the field,did they really beat aTRUE UK team?? Did the fans really get the experience that they hoped for?? Maybe it is time to have a true 16 team playoff. Takes 4 weeks to crown a Champion. You incorporate that into 15 Bowl games. That way each game matters. You leave it on the field . You don't sit out.
is this 4 weeks added to the end of the season? If so, that is a 16 game season for the two who make it to the championship season. Way more chances for injury to NFL bound players. What would keep those guys from sitting out under this scenario?

Reactions: TeoJ
This is a pretty new trend...

It's very disappointing and I'm not sure what can be done about it.

I can "kinda" understand Josh Allen's thinking, but Benny's whole attitude was to be a physical runner, who'd run 30 times a game without fear.

For him to not play, would surprise me more than Allen, not to mention the leadership aspect of the whole thing.

It’s a new trend for players but head coaches and coordinators have been doing it for years trying to get a head start on recruiting at a new school.

Every year, Alabama and Clemson beat the pulp out of whatever two teams put against them in the semifinals. Why do people want to add two more weekends of that. Instead of lightly struggling with Ohio State, now we want Alabama to wallop Syracuse and Central Florida before doing that?

Bowl games are great. Allows for pretty much every day there is one. And on during the day when I'm off work. Playoffs forces everything to weekly Saturday's when we need the constant football.

is this 4 weeks added to the end of the season? If so, that is a 16 game season for the two who make it to the championship season. Way more chances for injury to NFL bound players. What would keep those guys from sitting out under this scenario?

For one they are playing to win a National championship. Do people sit out the Basketball NCAA Tournament? If you are worried about 16 games only 2 teams will be playing that many games. You could always do away with a couple of cupcake games you play every year to decrease the numbers of games played. Can you imagine the TV MONEY you could get from a 16 team playoff?

Reactions: CB3UK
For one they are playing to win a National championship. Do people sit out the Basketball NCAA Tournament? If you are worried about 16 games only 2 teams will be playing that many games. You could always do away with a couple of cupcake games you play every year to decrease the numbers of games played. Can you imagine the TV MONEY you could get from a 16 team playoff?
Teams are not likely to do away with cupcake games. That is how you would win enough games to get into the 16 team playoffs.

Reactions: fabcat and TeoJ
Polls used to decide a National Champion after the Bowl Games, so they meant a lot more. So players played to try to win a National Championship. Now you have the playoffs. All other bowls are for entertainment. I think it was Clowney who started this trend of not playing, but I can't blame players from trying to protect their paychecks. If someone told me, don't drive a car for 3 months and I will guarantee you $10,000 (has to be a credible guarantee of course)...Even though it would be an inconvenience...I'd do it. Same concept IMO.

BTW...I doubt you see a player from any of the final 4 teams sit out unless there is a true injury.

The play offs destroyed 90%of the bowls , just another casualty of sports greed squeezing every dollar even tho it wrecks the product imo

Every year, Alabama and Clemson beat the pulp out of whatever two teams put against them in the semifinals. Why do people want to add two more weekends of that. Instead of lightly struggling with Ohio State, now we want Alabama to wallop Syracuse and Central Florida before doing that?

Bowl games are great. Allows for pretty much every day there is one. And on during the day when I'm off work. Playoffs forces everything to weekly Saturday's when we need the constant football.

I think it could be argued that the more teams that you allow in the playoffs the more likely the parity of the sport evens out.

I say this because right now the great thing about college football is that you have to basically have a perfect season in order to win a title. However, that means that the best players will likely go to one of the top 5 or, maybe, 10 schools in order to win that title. If you allow for more playoff teams then more teams get a chance to try to win a title. I would think at some point you might then get some evening out of top talent simply because you might have more teams having more chances.

Of course, this is all speculation.

As soon as more a lucrative alternative to the current regular and bowl season structure presents itself, the NCAA, media, and all the corporate partners will do it.

I've always been in favor of incorporating the bowls into a bracket and expanding the playoffs.

As far as time concerns go in terms of the season dragging on, get rid of a couple puff OOC games and start the season earlier.

The actual bowl games aren't what drags things out, it's the period of time off from the last game of the season until the bowls.

No other sport has a month off from end of season to start of postseason.

4 team playoff is perfect. I wouldn’t change a thing. If you go to 16 team you’ll see coaches sitting guys the last two weeks of the regular season. Bowl games are a reward for a good season. College b-ball has a postseason like this as well. You have the NCAA where every team with a pulse makes it, then you have the NIT and the CBI (or whatever it’s called.) It’s the college model, it’s not the pros.

Reactions: kb22stang
There’s just to many now days. Half the teams in the county go to them now and it really waters down their worth. Josh is the only guy on the roster who is in the money right now. The rest of the guys would be mid to late round pics and don’t run the risk of losing nearly as much as Josh Allen and in some cases a bowl game may improve their stock.
Agree and disagree. There’s still the elite bowls that only a dozen teams or so play in. Ultimately you want your program in those top tiered bowls.

The playoff, at 4 teams, gives everyone a shot that truly deserves one. It's big enough but not too big.

As soon as more a lucrative alternative to the current regular and bowl season structure presents itself, the NCAA, media, and all the corporate partners will do it.

I've always been in favor of incorporating the bowls into a bracket and expanding the playoffs.

As far as time concerns go in terms of the season dragging on, get rid of a couple puff OOC games and start the season earlier.

The actual bowl games aren't what drags things out, it's the period of time off from the last game of the season until the bowls.

No other sport has a month off from end of season to start of postseason.

Yes please, add more teams so the best team doesn't win as often. Instead of a participation trophy we'll hand out trophies to the team that gets lucky, just like basketball.

Well the teams that make the finals are already playing 15 games anyway. Alabama and Clemson are 12-0. Both have a conference championship game and maybe 2 playoff games. So not much difference.

4 team playoff is perfect. I wouldn’t change a thing. If you go to 16 team you’ll see coaches sitting guys the last two weeks of the regular season. Bowl games are a reward for a good season. College b-ball has a postseason like this as well. You have the NCAA where every team with a pulse makes it, then you have the NIT and the CBI (or whatever it’s called.) It’s the college model, it’s not the pros.

I honestly wouldn't have a problem expanding to a 6 team playoff
  • Start the playoff 1 week sooner
  • 1 & 2 seeds get a bye the first week

Yes please, add more teams so the best team doesn't win as often. Instead of a participation trophy we'll hand out trophies to the team that gets lucky, just like basketball.

In football it wouldn’t be luck. First I think a larger field would do wonders for Parity in the sport. I also think teams would schedule tougher OOC games to show they belong in the 16 team field. They could take a chance in losing a first week game against a National Power and still make the playoffs. It would allow conferences to have more representatives in the playoffs instead of just their conference champion. It would allow an undefeated UCF to be in the hunt. Yes there will be arguments one way or the other who deserves the 16th spot but it would be a lot fairer and less controversial than who gets the 4th spot. Is An Alabama or an Ohio State actually the better team because they beat the next undefeated in their conference by 1 point in overtime playing their game on their HOME field?? I like a 16 team playoff.

College basketball is pretty damn boring during the regular season. For the most part it doesn't matter, and especially doesn't if all you have to do is win your conference tournament. Still, the NCAA tournament being that any team can win is the best. Basically, right or wrong, until a team loses in their conference tournament they have a shot at a title. In college football you could have a bad game in the first game of the year and it can ruin your entire season. You can go to a bowl, and that is nice, but really is just an exhibition game.

So, to me, there needs to be a balance or a better balance in both sports really. I think football could be better served with a few more teams in playoffs and basketball really should, at least, get rid of the silly conference tournament auto bids.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
They need to rethink them anyway. Participation trophy level requirement to get one, key players sit, cost of attendance for something that doesnt actually mean anything like a championship, etc.

They are all in fun. I am glad we get more football. I am glad we get payouts from it. I am glad we are in them more frequently. But trying to convince ourselves that they matter is like trying to get excited for the NIT. Not fooling anyone.

The real answer is to fix the playoff and be done with this insanity.
Oh they matter. That is 3 more weeks of practice, means a world of difference, especially for younger players

I really like the way your thinking Bro![thumb2]:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Reactions: etowncatfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT