ADVERTISEMENT

Is HOB membership worth the cost?

I've never had it and I know it isn't worth the cost.

I bet @BankerCat12 can tell you about it.

Side note: he's jealous of Asheville's beer scene, for what it's worth.
I’ve also never had it and never really seen the appeal. I come here for info and some conversation. I don’t feel the need to pay to receive info a day or two early and I don’t pay to talk to people unless it leads to financial gain.

But some people don’t mind paying for those things. And I’ve heard a lot of good things about the premium membership here so if those are things you don’t mind paying for then it seems like they offer a competitive service here.

Appreciate insight about about players from the staff. I’ve never really looked at it as “predictions” being the value of HoB, but just better getting more vetted info. More likely to get called out for things that aren’t factual. Paywall also acts as a filter from non-fan trolls and people who just want to be annoying. To each their own, but to me that’s worth it.

Reactions: HICATFAN
I generally think it’s worth it. HOB will often have interesting behind-the-scenes stories, a better grasp on recruits being targeted, and really good breakdowns on players’ skill and style of play. During the season, David Sisk’s postgame breakdowns are worth the price alone to me. He’ll dissect 6-8 plays or so and talk about what worked and what didn’t. I come away feeling like I actually know more about basketball. The conversation over there is also generally more pleasant with far fewer trolls to deal with.

That said, if you’re looking for breaking news before anyone else gets it, I wouldn’t bother. That stuff usually comes out on Twitter or whatever.

I generally think it’s worth it. HOB will often have interesting behind-the-scenes stories, a better grasp on recruits being targeted, and really good breakdowns on players’ skill and style of play. During the season, David Sisk’s postgame breakdowns are worth the price alone to me. He’ll dissect 6-8 plays or so and talk about what worked and what didn’t. I come away feeling like I actually know more about basketball. The conversation over there is also generally more pleasant with far fewer trolls to deal with.

That said, if you’re looking for breaking news before anyone else gets it, I wouldn’t bother. That stuff usually comes out on Twitter or whatever.
^^^THIS^^^

AlohaCat

Reactions: delk4three
Seriously thinking about joining. Just wondering what everyone's opinion is. TIA.
Depends on the person. Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn’t. You won’t miss it if you never had it though. I will say it is frustrating to read some of the bogus claims and statements over here after you have read the truth about things over there .

Reactions: BBUK
I had the subscription for nearly half the time I have been on this site. I go back and forth but time is limited for me though I can check the board a lot. HOB has good points and bad points. One thing I do know. JRow does what he say he will do. (Never met him but he is good people.)

It is likely going to depend on whether you are looking for "inside" info on just the Basketball program, or if you are a multiple sports UK fan. Seems to be less trolls except for the free trail membership they do every so often. But they cover Mens and Womens basketball, Football, and baseball a bit, with also some references to other sports that may be doing well. There is a lot of content much more so than "inside" info. So the answer to this question is going to be what you are interested in having.

Plus, you get birth anouncements every 12 to 18 months for another Rowland kid.

• Haha
Reactions: track42
Depends on how big of a UK sports nerd you are and how much of a budget your on. It's worth it to me.

If you love all the inside details of recruits and UK sports then it definitely is.

If your good just getting general info later, probably not.

Also less dumb posts and idiocy to deal with, but you never get completely away from it.

Not everything in there makes it out here. Most major stuff does, but the details or whole story doesn't every time.

That’s the most important question right there.
For me it’s pretty important. We’re past the base Cal phase but those same minds are around. I would pay a little to be able to talk UK basketball with a group that had a smaller percentage of those people who kept getting in my face telling me I wasn’t a fan if I didn’t support Cal. And on the flip side I definitely don’t want to be actually paying to be in a group with an even larger percentage of those people. Not sure why those preferences of mine or my question about it would make anyone else uncomfortable. Or why anyone would have to pretend I was trying to make it the most important question when all I did is ask it in a place where all of my other relevant questions had already been asked and answered by kind people.

Seriously thinking about joining. Just wondering what everyone's opinion is. TIA.
I had it for years, as far as the info it is more reliable and they have good articles. I would say it really depends on you and what you want, you could do the trial and see what you think. I remember when I did decide to cancel it was kinda hard to do but I’m not as technologically savvy as a lot of people. I have thought about going back to it but I mostly just want info which eventually makes its way over here.

If you have $120 per year to blow, yes. If you don’t, know. I have a spoiled wife and two spoiled kids, so I do not. That why I’m here with the rest of the low life.

I love Rafters, especially the crazies. I’d get bored without it.
Had to come back after taking a year or 2 off. Cal killed my “craziness” of being an avid fan i became apathetic. Im glad to be back with the ppl

You get more knowledgeable posters and discussions on House of Blue. Rupp Rafters is the wild west. Plus there's just more active discussion of everything UK than there are on the free boards. Getting the inside info and such from the staff is just one perk.

Yes, it is worth it. I had it for years, but unfortunately due to some domestic issues have recently dropped it. I am definitely missing it...

For me it’s pretty important. We’re past the base Cal phase but those same minds are around. I would pay a little to be able to talk UK basketball with a group that had a smaller percentage of those people who kept getting in my face telling me I wasn’t a fan if I didn’t support Cal. And on the flip side I definitely don’t want to be actually paying to be in a group with an even larger percentage of those people. Not sure why those preferences of mine or my question about it would make anyone else uncomfortable. Or why anyone would have to pretend I was trying to make it the most important question when all I did is ask it in a place where all of my other relevant questions had already been asked and answered by kind people.
Unfortunately, I think the majority of people in these online communities were/are Cal worshippers. And if you just take a note of the people who have “Gold member” under their username, you can see that there are plenty of Cal lovers on the premium board.

It might actually be worse than Rupp’s Rafters.

• Wow
Reactions: BlueSince92
Unfortunately, I think the majority of people in these online communities were/are Cal worshippers. And if you just take a note of the people who have “Gold member” under their username, you can see that there are plenty of Cal lovers on the premium board.

It might actually be worse than Rupp’s Rafters.
Goodness. Thanks for the info.

For 100 a year or whatever it is now I have questioned why I haven't got it.

One less fast food future heart attack meal a month and I'd offset the cost.

Or one less 12 pack...just kidding. Can't give that up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT