ADVERTISEMENT

Who’s wants to research?

Dec 9, 2016
I was wondering today, since UK wasn’t playing but here’s my question. How many coaches have won a title after being inducted into the HOF? Cal was what ‘15? I was just wondering the stats of the other coaches after induction. Titles before, after, any comparisons from other coaches? Just something I was thinking about. Anyone that has time I’d be curious.

College coaches in the Naismith HOF who were inducted while active (since 1980) and if they won a title after their induction:

Bob Huggins - no (fired the next year)
Jay Wright - no (quit the next year)
Bill Self - yes
Tom Izzo - no
Cal - no
Rick Pitino - no
Roy Williams - yes (2 titles after HOF)
Jim Calhoun - yes
Jim Boeheim - no
Lute Olsen - no
Larry Brown - no
Coach K - yes
John Chaney - no
Denny Crum - no
Bob Knight - no
Dean Smith - yes

Reactions: Wildcat_In_Florida
Hmm. So 11 out of 16 haven’t won a title since. Thx for the stats.
Yeah…that’s a pretty basic response. Some of the guys didn’t win prior to being inducted (Huggins, Chaney), Brown coached at SMU only after, and some were towards the end of their career when they were already on a downward slide.

Guys who were in the prime of their career or still had a lot of years at major programs ahead of them when inducted probably:

Self (inducted in 2017) - yes
Izzo (inducted in 2016) - no
Cal (inducted in 2015) - no
Pitino (inducted in 2013) - no
Williams (inducted in 2007) - yes
Calhoun (inducted in 2005) - yes
Boeheim (inducted in 2005) - no
Olsen (inducted in 2002) - no
K (inducted in 2001) - yes
Crum (inducted in 1994) - no
Knight (inducted in 1991) - no
Smith (inducted in 1983) - yes

Yeah that’s why I said who wants to do research, I was just wondering if other coaches had a hard time winning a title after induction. Maybe it went to their head. I had no idea what the incline or decline. Thanks for responding with some info.

Reactions: bthaunert
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT