ADVERTISEMENT

Is Florida our biggest threat for SEC title next season ?

D_jarvis

Gold Member
May 26, 2019
Looking at next years schedules, it seems Florida has it the easiest.. our game at the Swamp next year could be HUGE

Florida does lose the majority of their wide receivers. But their schedule is very favorable. @ Ole Miss and UT, home against LSU and UK.

No, Kirby's defense has Dan's offense figured out.
UGA is still on top in the east IMO because of that D. Not sold on Trask being the savior down there without a lot of help & like others said they lose some guys on O. We made him looks better than he was. He came in & did a good job for them but is not a game changer to get them to the top over UGA

Let's start beating UT and then we can talk about winning the SEC. We always shit the bed against UT and Florida. I'll never understand it.

That is where our reality starts....Tennessee. We’ve lost to these fools, two years in a roll. Both games we should have won but failed. Yes, let’s make sure we can beat the ones that we should.

You all need better skill players. WR, RB, CB, S. You also need an outstanding QB. We need one as well no doubt.

We have very solid RB’s and DB’s. I’ll give you WR’s, but there’s talent there that didn’t get to show itself with our limited options at QB in 2019. QB is TBD. If Wilson is back near 100% he is top 4-5 in the SEC.

You all need better skill players. WR, RB, CB, S. You also need an outstanding QB. We need one as well no doubt.

Not sold on Trask being the savior down there without a lot of help & like others said they lose some guys on O. We made him looks better than he was. He came in & did a good job for them but is not a game changer to get them to the top over UGA

Trask did well especially since Florida had no running game and a poor offensive line.

We have very solid RB’s and DB’s. I’ll give you WR’s, but there’s talent there that didn’t get to show itself with our limited options at QB in 2019. QB is TBD. If Wilson is back near 100% he is top 4-5 in the SEC.

much of our DB talent is on par with top half of SEC. maybe not LSU, Bama, UGA, UF level.
But the LSU transfer, Robinson and Echols are all future pros..

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Which opponent poses a bigger threat could mean for that single game or over the course of the season. Given the questions surrounding UGA's offensive losses from graduation, early departure, and the transfer portal, as well as UF's progress and current roster, most pre-season picks for the East in 2020 will be either Florida or Georgia. My guess is that UT and UK will occupy the next spots, with Carolina, Mizzou, and Vandy bringing up the rear.

I haven't yet looked at the other team schedules for the upcoming season, but UF swaps Auburn for Ole Miss. LSU, their permanent cross-division opponent, is losing a lot from the national championship team, both players and coaches.

LSU, UK, Missouri, and South Carolina travel to the Swamp, while the Gators travel to Tennessee and Vandy, as well as the annual Florida-Georgia game in Jacksonville.

Which opponent poses a bigger threat could mean for that single game or over the course of the season. Given the questions surrounding UGA's offensive losses from graduation, early departure, and the transfer portal, as well as UF's progress and current roster, most pre-season picks for the East in 2020 will be either Florida or Georgia. My guess is that UT and UK will occupy the next spots, with Carolina, Mizzou, and Vandy bringing up the rear.

I haven't yet looked at the other team schedules for the upcoming season, but UF swaps Auburn for Ole Miss. LSU, their permanent cross-division opponent, is losing a lot from the national championship team, both players and coaches.

LSU, UK, Missouri, and South Carolina travel to the Swamp, while the Gators travel to Tennessee and Vandy, as well as the annual Florida-Georgia game in Jacksonville.

The biggestblosses are Thomas at LT, Fromm at QB and Blankenship the K. The others will be replaced with someone with about the same ability. We have good depth on the OL and RB. Defense will be top 5 or better, the kid replacing Reed our AA S was our leading tackler in the bowl game. We re losing 5 off the top 22.. If the QB is just not awful we will have a very good shot, if he passes for 3k, I like our chances in every game.

I agree except for CB, S, and RB. These positions will be fine. UT's receivers this last year were very good and talent will be back. But, our secondary will be improved with additions.

For UK, every year UT goes in with a psychological edge. This does not mean that UT does not have better overall talent the great majority of years but usually UK plays tight and coaches (who I really respect) coach tight--UK in recent years just craps the bed against UT.

Good observation though. Last year it was a matter of time until UT's QB position got a little confidence and then the talent of the WR's came to the fore. I almost went crazy when we punted on 4th and 1 in late 2nd quarter in UT side; the crowd and players were tight the rest of the game.

UGA is still on top in the east IMO because of that D. Not sold on Trask being the savior down there without a lot of help & like others said they lose some guys on O. We made him looks better than he was. He came in & did a good job for them but is not a game changer to get them to the top over UGA

I believe that Defense wins championships, but I will say Mullen is a better coach than Smart....

Reactions: no1gman
That is where our reality starts....Tennessee. We’ve lost to these fools, two years in a roll. Both games we should have won but failed. Yes, let’s make sure we can beat the ones that we should.

As much as I hate UT, I really think they've been cursed with bad coaching.

Why do I say that?

Every year we play them, I look out onto the field without Blue Tinted Glasses and the talent disparity is BIG....Seriously, we are still significantly behind UT when it comes to talent level on the field.

I really hope we close it soon, which it seems we may be on the O-Line.....

I think if UT had a half decent coach the past 20 years they could have competed for SEC championships. They've had some serious talent down there....The past few seasons, I look out on the field and their athletes are bigger and faster at almost every position. That is the primary reason we keep losing to them.

The biggestblosses are Thomas at LT, Fromm at QB and Blankenship the K. The others will be replaced with someone with about the same ability. We have good depth on the OL and RB. Defense will be top 5 or better, the kid replacing Reed our AA S was our leading tackler in the bowl game. We re losing 5 off the top 22.. If the QB is just not awful we will have a very good shot, if he passes for 3k, I like our chances in every game.
Why would Swift not be a pretty big loss? Seemed to me he had playmaking ability.

We all are equal right now. BUT if I were betting I would say the media predictions go Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Kentucky, South Carolina, Missouri and Vanderbilt.
Have Athlon Sports go ahead and send me a check.
Question will be health and what the end of the year looks like.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
I believe that Defense wins championships, but I will say Mullen is a better coach than Smart....

Based on what? All times a Mullen coached team has beaten a Smart coached team? Or is it that the country's best QB coach's team improved when his starting QB was injured? Mullen gets more credit for accomplishing nothing than any coach in the country. If you want to make the claim Smart has more talent, that's part of being a good coach. Eventually Mullen will win a game against Smart, could be this year but let's not act like UF didn't lose their best back, WR, 2 best DL and best RB, plus they still have old 3rd and Grantham calling their D.

Georgia loses 3 starting O Lineman with eligibility to NFL Draft. I am sure they reload but even for the power teams that is a lot. UK can play with them and Auburn. Will be nice shots at upsets next year. UK has a top transfer QB and key DT looking for eligibility. Those would be huge adds. If Michigan or Clemson needed the guys they would be eligible. The 6th year medical and transfer eligibility fairness and consistency is under much debate. UK can come out on top for once on the early entry, transfer, eligibility maze right when the program is on the rise. Just need some fairness. Georgia is losing a lot and Uk gets em at home.

I think the more accurate way to phrase it is that the gators are the biggest threat to the Dawgs for the East.

No matter how top tier of a program you are, losing half of your OL, your 3-year starter QB, and lead RB is no small thing.

I'm not so worried about their OL and RB, it's UGA they lose OL and RBs regularly and tend to replace them with just as if not more talented guys.

Fromm bouncing is a game-changer. It seems they're probably going to let a couple of transfers battle it out.

I think it's pretty clear that you go as your QB and passing game go, even if you have a productive ground game, a good defense, and talent across the board generally speaking.

We found out that TW and what little passing game we had with him was at least worth 2 games.

Bama, with all their talent on the field and coaching staff, found out Tua was worth at least 2 games.

Yeah East title. I don’t think Trask is anything special and we’ve been right there with Tennessee so I think our time is coming. IMO we are as good as anyone In the East on any given night
We have to get past the mental thing to beat Tennessee. We are not confident and have a defeatist attitude. We have been right there with them since the Peyton Manning days and have little to nothing to show for.

Stoop and his coaches have to address the fear our players have to beat them. You can't play knowing at any moment you are going to screw up and lose the game. That is the story of this series for the past 20 or more years.

Reactions: law1127
Why would Swift not be a pretty big loss? Seemed to me he had playmaking ability.

This^^^ Swift is certainly a bigger loss than the kicker and LT and on par with the QB. He is a complete difference maker and the 1st or 2nd RB taken in the draft.

It's extremely optimistic to think a couple of former 5 star high schoolers, who havent gotten one tenth of the carries in college that Swift have will replace him so easily.

Let's start beating UT and then we can talk about winning the SEC. We always shit the bed against UT and Florida. I'll never understand it.
I really believe our guys—primarily Drake, Landon and Quinton (who’s from Tenn) — will be on a mission to take the ugly orange next year! I think we take Florida and UT on the road. I think we’re playing Georgia at home for the SEC East title next year!! While I somewhat understand your point, that shit ain’t happening next year!!

Last edited:
Reactions: J19D76
Winning the SEC is a much different question than winning the East. I don't think we have the dogs yet to beat a Bama or LSU type team, but under the right circumstances I think we could be right in the thick of the race for the East next season. Good points made above on both Florida and Georgia. I've always liked Fromm and I think Georgia will miss him more than they think - a new quarterback will take some time, and Florida should be right there towards the end. I would say the odds are something like this:

Georgia 40%
Florida 30%
Kentucky 15%
Tennessee 15%

This^^^ Swift is certainly a bigger loss than the kicker and LT and on par with the QB. He is a complete difference maker and the 1st or 2nd RB taken in the draft.

It's extremely optimistic to think a couple of former 5 star high schoolers, who havent gotten one tenth of the carries in college that Swift have will replace him so easily.

Blankenship is the career scoring leader for UGA, Swift is a was/ is a very good player for us, but his replacement in the bowl game did ok, rusher for over 5ypc with 3 new starters on the OL and a new OL coach. 5* RB make big splashes as frosh every, we have had several do just that, why would this next one not? I have said repeatly Thomas is the only OL that will be missed, Wilson' replacement did a great job, we return another OL who has 18 starts but missed the bowl game.

But no one is mentioning we have 8 fulltime starters returning on a top 5 defense 10 starters from the Sugar bowl after 2 starters missed. The defense that gave 81 points in the 8 SEC games including 2 shutouts. 14 to the mighty gators.

Blankenship is the career scoring leader for UGA, Swift is a was/ is a very good player for us, but his replacement in the bowl game did ok, rusher for over 5ypc with 3 new starters on the OL and a new OL coach. 5* RB make big splashes as frosh every, we have had several do just that, why would this next one not? I have said repeatly Thomas is the only OL that will be missed, Wilson' replacement did a great job, we return another OL who has 18 starts but missed the bowl game.

But no one is mentioning we have 8 fulltime starters returning on a top 5 defense 10 starters from the Sugar bowl after 2 starters missed. The defense that gave 81 points in the 8 SEC games including 2 shutouts. 14 to the mighty gators.

yawn. whens the last time a first year starter at RB looked close to as good as a RB going 1st or 2nd in the draft?? You are delusional if you think anybody on your roster is going to be anywhere near as good as Swift. He was a complete Difference Maker. I remember when he was a freshman and you had Chubb and Michelle on the roster and Swift had a better per yard average and an opposing SEC coach said he was more of a problem than the other two. Keep dreaming that you replace that with what you have.
Also delusional to think you dont have a significant step back when losing 4 OL starters and replacing them with guys who have barely played. dont give a damn what they were rated on high school. your OG Kindley was your lowest rated OLman for several years and won the job and was a stud. 5 star OLine rating doesnt guarantee squat.
you will have a very good defense. but you are kidding yourself on offense when you play defenses with a pulse

yawn. whens the last time a first year starter at RB looked close to as good as a RB going 1st or 2nd in the draft?? You are delusional if you think anybody on your roster is going to be anywhere near as good as Swift. He was a complete Difference Maker. I remember when he was a freshman and you had Chubb and Michelle on the roster and Swift had a better per yard average and an opposing SEC coach said he was more of a problem than the other two. Keep dreaming that you replace that with what you have.
Also delusional to think you dont have a significant step back when losing 4 OL starters and replacing them with guys who have barely played. dont give a damn what they were rated on high school. your OG Kindley was your lowest rated OLman for several years and won the job and was a stud. 5 star OLine rating doesnt guarantee squat.
you will have a very good defense. but you are kidding yourself on offense when you play defenses with a pulse

Obviously you know very little about our roster, one of the replacements has 18 starts, another has 5. As for frosh RB who have come in and made big splashes, does the name Todd Gurley ring a bell, first touch was a kick off return for a TD, then a couple you mentioned Nick Chubb and Sony Michel, and then Swift. Seems like UK's Benny Snell made quiet a splash as a true frosh. if you want to go out of conference how about Jonathon Taylor or the Barkley kid from PSU. So it seems there is quite a list of frosh RB who make big splashes.

You thing we didn't struggle moving the ball this year? If not you didn't see us play much, our best offensive game the last half of the year was the bowl game, without either of our OT, with Swift having 1 carry for a couple yards. Fromm had his best game of the year, thanks to a frosh WR. You are stating your opinion as a fact, I know you hope we aren't very good, and that's cool. But with who we have returning, and coming in I like our chances to get back to Atlanta.

Obviously you know very little about our roster, one of the replacements has 18 starts, another has 5. As for frosh RB who have come in and made big splashes, does the name Todd Gurley ring a bell, first touch was a kick off return for a TD, then a couple you mentioned Nick Chubb and Sony Michel, and then Swift. Seems like UK's Benny Snell made quiet a splash as a true frosh. if you want to go out of conference how about Jonathon Taylor or the Barkley kid from PSU. So it seems there is quite a list of frosh RB who make big splashes.

You thing we didn't struggle moving the ball this year? If not you didn't see us play much, our best offensive game the last half of the year was the bowl game, without either of our OT, with Swift having 1 carry for a couple yards. Fromm had his best game of the year, thanks to a frosh WR. You are stating your opinion as a fact, I know you hope we aren't very good, and that's cool. But with who we have returning, and coming in I like our chances to get back to Atlanta.

Yep, dealing with your arrogant condescending ass certainly makes me want to see UGA not be good.. but it's cool.

I'm sure you are right..Hill, Salyer, Cleveland and whatever other two starters you come up with for the OL will be just as good or better than the 3 high NFL draft picks and Mays with about 100 starts between them that you lose. you have all that experienced depth too! And your next stud RB yet to be seen will hardly be a step down verses the #1 or 2 RB in the draft this year. Good luck with that..

Reactions: law1127
Yep, dealing with your arrogant condescending ass certainly makes me want to see UGA not be good.. but it's cool.

I'm sure you are right..Hill, Salyer, Cleveland and whatever other two starters you come up with for the OL will be just as good or better than the 3 high NFL draft picks and Mays with about 100 starts between them that you lose. you have all that experienced depth too! And your next stud RB yet to be seen will hardly be a step down verses the #1 or 2 RB in the draft this year. Good luck with that..

I wasn't disrespectful to you, didn't call you a name, answered your question and now I am arrogant?

Why wouldn't I expect a top quality RB, 4 feature backs in a row, if Swift is, will have been drafted in the top 35 of their draft. As for the OL, all of the ones you mentioned will get a shot at the at the NFL alone with 4-5 more that will be on the roster this fall, may not make it.

Still I find it a little odd that think my team is going to be pretty good this fall makes me arrogant, isn't that what all fans think?

I wasn't disrespectful to you, didn't call you a name, answered your question and now I am arrogant?

Why wouldn't I expect a top quality RB, 4 feature backs in a row, if Swift is, will have been drafted in the top 35 of their draft. As for the OL, all of the ones you mentioned will get a shot at the at the NFL alone with 4-5 more that will be on the roster this fall, may not make it.

Still I find it a little odd that think my team is going to be pretty good this fall makes me arrogant, isn't that what all fans think?

No, the arrogance comes from your repeated assertion that our Offensive Coordinator is straight up lying publically about getting the UGA OC job offer. The undertone of which is you cant fathom a coach actually preferring staying at Kentucky verses Georgia. Instead you find it reasonable that our OC would be offered a demotion to TE coach. So yes, I think that is beyond arrogant to repeatedly spew on a Kentucky board.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT