ADVERTISEMENT

Is Edey good or just big?

And if dj burns was 6'4 you wouldn't know his name either.
It goes hand n hand
Why not? He actually has basketball skill, which works at any height. Edey doesn't have a whole lot, he has enough to be great in college, but not if he was shorter. Burns has plenty of skill.

He's good for someone that size, but if he was 6'9 240 I doubt he'd be putting up 40 and 16.

Is that like saying if a 6'9" forward was 6"2" I doubt he would be good?

He's not 6'9". I don't know why people keep bringing this up. If LeBron were 7 inches shorter would he be as dominating as he is now?

My opinion is that in the college game and in the right system, he's good enough. His size and strength make up for his lack of skill and refs are going to protect him as a senior at a college favorite. In the NBA, I expect he will struggle. He's not very quick or skilled, and he just won't be able to push people around at the next level, and the NBA's open floor game will be a big problem for Edey. He's too slow. He'll still be at mid court when his man is dunking.

Reactions: Lempface
Is that like saying if a 6'9" forward was 6"2" I doubt he would be good?

He's not 6'9". I don't know why people keep bringing this up. If LeBron were 7 inches shorter would he be as dominating as he is now?
LeBron is a 1% of the 1% athlete with elite passing and decent shooting. He'd be a good basketball player at 6'2. Edey is dominant, it's just not because he's skilled. Being coordinated at 7'4 is his greatest trait. Just feel like his dominance needs that context. Not super impressed when half a guys points come from catching the ball in the post, keeping it high, doing a half turn and shooting over somebody 6 inches shorter. He's good for someone that size, but if all things were equal would he be good? No.

If the question is "is Edey good at basketball" my answer is yes, BUT

I don’t see Edey as being overly skilled. He’s powerful and good around the bucket, but I don’t know how effective he’ll be in the NBA.
not skilled huh? we had 3 7fters and neither could catch the ball in the paint and make a basket . Thats a huge skill

Reactions: TM2013
Well he certainly has attitude to him when he talks. You see his post game interview after Orange lover game?
He was loud and hyped up. Said the F word. He is NOT a gentle giant. Edey has a mean streak and he will be something to see in the NBA.

He is good. He isn’t athletic but he is smart and skilled. Sticks to what he does because nobody can stop him.

Well he certainly has attitude to him when he talks. You see his post game interview after Orange lover game?
He was loud and hyped up. Said the F word. He is NOT a gentle giant. Edey has a mean streak and he will be something to see and deal with in the NBA.
Probably the biggest, meanest post player since SHAQ.
He is still filling out his body honestly. He will eat Wemby like Wendy's.

7' 4" 350 pounds could be his grown man NBA 5th year weight easily. He is 300 now. The guy cut the net at the top without the freaking ladder.

Saying the guy wouldn't be good if he was 6'9" is the same as saying Iverson wouldn't have been
good if he hadn't had blazing speed. You don't need the speed and athleticism required for somebody
else's size, just yours.

Reactions: UK90
Latest ESPN Mock has him in the lottery.

There's also some mocks that have him mid 2nd round. But maybe his play in this tournament is moving his stock up.

Still, he's a dinosaur in today's NBA. Same as Oscar who didn't have his name called on draft night. And he has the excuse that he's not quite the size that the NBA is looking for in it's centers.

Zach Edey is 7'4, same height as Wemby. One is a GENERATIONAL talent, and the other needed 4 years just to MAYBE land in the 1st round. If the NBA drafts him, it's simply because he's 7'4 and that's something you just don't find often.

Reactions: Stan the caddy
Basketball is a game not a dance. If you have a physical attribute that enables you to put the ball in the basket at your end and keep the ball out of the basket at the other, you'll probably win. Hand-eye coordination, speed, balance aren't the only physical attributes that enable you to excel at putting the ball in the basket and keeping the ball out of the basket at the other end.

That said, there are drawbacks to being too big. Heart, circulation, joints, back. Great size magnifies their issues. Other very tall people have taken a crack at excelling in the pro ranks and it's a mixed bag of results. Edey has a great chance at excelling. He also is very strong and seems determined to the point of being remorseless. (Says the guy who has watched 2 of his games.) Good luck, kid.

Reactions: ukfan1622
There's also some mocks that have him mid 2nd round. But maybe his play in this tournament is moving his stock up.

Still, he's a dinosaur in today's NBA. Same as Oscar who didn't have his name called on draft night. And he has the excuse that he's not quite the size that the NBA is looking for in it's centers.

Zach Edey is 7'4, same height as Wemby. One is a GENERATIONAL talent, and the other needed 4 years just to MAYBE land in the 1st round. If the NBA drafts him, it's simply because he's 7'4 and that's something you just don't find often.

Yeah I just looked at that one. I've seen him from top 10 to mid 2nd round, which is a lot of volatility. Might just depend on the right fit? Some coaches like a sturdy big man, and like you said, you can't teach size.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Yeah I just looked at that one. I've seen him from top 10 to mid 2nd round, which is a lot of volatility. Might just depend on the right fit? Some coaches like a sturdy big man, and like you said, you can't teach size.

I think the NBA sees a guy who already struggles a bit with the speed of the college game.. it's only going to get faster and bigger in the NBA. These draft experts aren't dumb.. they see something that's just not meant for the NBA. Not to mention, he will be 22 by the draft.. which isn't old. But it's not like he's young for the draft either.

I imagine most teams would rather use their 1st pick, 1-30, on someone they think has potential, and they'd rather use their 2nd pick on a guy like Edey.

But, like you said, you can't teach that height. If he has a big showing against the NBA, a team WITH several fugure NBA players, then maybe he can sneak into the 20s.

Reactions: Stan the caddy
I'm not great at basketball, I'm 6 foot. Give me a rim at the same ratio as Edey, so like 8.2 feet. Put me up against players with an average height in ratio to the average player and Edey's height. So just under 6'5" is the average NCAAM height, which would put my average opponent at like 5'3"-5'4" at the very least likely to have 3-4 inch advantage over the absolute tallest players. I'm pretty sure I could dominate similarly...

Again, not saying he isn't good, but he's mostly good due to size and height. He is not great, or even good, at many basketball skills. The combination of the skill he does have with the height and size is what makes him able to dominate the NCAA.

Going to be interesting to watch two guys face off against people virtually their same size when they're both used to towering over opponents.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT