ADVERTISEMENT

Is Coach Pope using zone defense?

Apr 8, 2024
What’s the scouting from his days at BYU saying? It’s a good tool to have in your bag . I think against certain teams it might pay off to play zone:this year Duke, Arkansas. We know how Cal was all against it. How about Coach Pope?

Slow the the game down, its a good strategy. I dunno though, somebody want to chime in?

Usually you use it against a good perimeter shooting team, and to stop drives to the basket.

What’s the scouting from his days at BYU saying? It’s a good tool to have in your bag . I think against certain teams it might pay off to play zone:this year Duke, Arkansas. We know how Cal was all against it. How about Coach Pope?
He did against KW.

Reactions: AJG-15
He has said since he got here that he believes in changing up defenses to keep the opponents on their toes. Mentioned even not just zone, but different kinds of zone within single games. Went as far as to say they track the effect on games when they come out of a timeout playing a different defense than when they went in (they called that a "hit" or something, but don't quote me on the term). So they can figure out how to use that approach to the utmost potential. So different than our last regime. I'm fairly certain that any time there is a strong reason to be in zone, we'll be seeing at least a decent amount of zone.

Reactions: AJG-15 and JPFisher
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT