ADVERTISEMENT

Is Cal The Perfect Villain?

• Torched our program
  • Held us hostage with buyout
  • Left for rival
  • Strong recruiter actively recruiting nearly all our targets.
It sucks but in a way I kind of dig it. We have a hero at the helm for the first time in a long time. But that would mean a little less if there wasn’t a serious villain for our hero to oppose.

Coach K is not stepping back on a court. I think the next few years will be a way more exciting era of Kentucky basketball than they would have been if Cal had just retired. Disappointment of a leader this decade at the least.

But I think he’ll make a wonderful villain.

What say you?
I don't think he fits the role of villain at all. Quite the opposite in fact. I will lay it out using only facts. Please let me know where any of you disagree.

1. Rupp Rafters posters wanted him out and he left. He gave them what they want = they should be thanking him

2. Rupp Rafters posters were tired of the "one and dones". He took those players with him to Arkansas, so again he gave that group of fans what they want = they should be thanking him

3. Arkansas has been a strong program. The Cal haters say he cannot coach and he runs programs into the ground. By this logic, he has weakened a strong opponent in Arkansas by going there = they should be thanking him

4. He brought us a national title in his stint here = Thank you

5. Lots of recognizable stars and rising stars in basketball (some of the biggest in the game) are forever connected to Kentucky. This was not really the case before Cal. = Thank you

6. I am told we are recruiting "different kids now". Not all the 5 star Mcdonads guys. If that is the case we will not be recruiting against each other. He will just take kids that could have gone to UNC, Kansas, and Duke, thus weakening them. = Thank you.

7. Side note that many don't like to discuss, he also did a lot for the people of Kentucky and raised and gave literally millions of dollars to the state including during times of great tragedy in Kentucky. = Thank you

8. His kids he recruited did not engage in nefarious criminal activity and were good citizens, and good ambassadors and by all accounts just good kids while here and after. During Cal's time here, Duke, UNC, Kansas, Louisville and Alabama all had their share of sketchy kids and criminal activities perpetrated by players in their programs. For bringing good quality kids into our program = Thank you.

I honestly don't see the case for a villain at all.
A rebuttal like this would be seen by far fewer people if it was embedded in another thread.

I like it. I think it highlights some good points. Cal might've been stubborn, but at least he got out before he drove us completely into the ground.
Yep you get why I posted it separately. But apparently, the mods don't so they combined them.....

Reactions: JPFisher
Lot of CDS in here. Cal Derangement Syndrome.

I love our new coach, it was time.

People just go crazy and invent conspiracies as if Cal is some mustache twirling silent movie villain. He did some great things at UK, and made mistakes. Had flaws for sure but wasn't being malicious.

It's pretty obvious all things being equal he'd rather have stayed at UK, but he felt the heat and the fans/donors turning sour and got out while the getting was good.

Still think he should have just quit, took a year off to do broadcasting, then took the UCLA job. Arkansas is a terrible fit for him imo. Good basketball situation, just a bad fit. Looks terrible in red, even worse hicks than us 😄, etc.

People like to hate. People like to scream.

Calipari said what he was going to do and did it. When that produced lots of wins, fans didn't care. When it didn't, he became a villain.

His players, whom he put first, love him. His fans, who felt shortchanged, didn't.

I think Players First was a misguided plan since it shortchanged the people who paid for the program to begin with.

Now, NIL has made Calipari's style of Players First irrelevant. The players aren't waiting for generational wealth. They want their $X now.

Reactions: thedahc
Lot of CDS in here. Cal Derangement Syndrome.

I love our new coach, it was time.

People just go crazy and invent conspiracies as if Cal is some mustache twirling silent movie villain. He did some great things at UK, and made mistakes. Had flaws for sure but wasn't being malicious.

It's pretty obvious all things being equal he'd rather have stayed at UK, but he felt the heat and the fans/donors turning sour and got out while the getting was good.

Still think he should have just quit, took a year off to do broadcasting, then took the UCLA job. Arkansas is a terrible fit for him imo. Good basketball situation, just a bad fit. Looks terrible in red, even worse hicks than us 😄, etc.

I think he should have just retired. He looked uneasy and borderline miserable at his introduction.

There’s no doubt in my mind he didn’t want to leave. I think he’s holding on to try and help Brad start a coaching career.

I think he should have just retired. He looked uneasy and borderline miserable at his introduction.

There’s no doubt in my mind he didn’t want to leave. I think he’s holding on to try and help Brad start a coaching career.
I think he was planning on retiring when his UK contract was up. Maybe wasn't ready just yet. Could be for the reason you said.

Kind of ridiculous though, just being Cals son will get his foot in the door and get him basketball work. I get wanting to give your son a strong push though.

Reactions: Montana81
Practically every outlet out there right now is talking about Cal vs. Pope or Arkansas vs. Kentucky or Cal vs. Kentucky. I didn’t pull out of my ass that he’s “the villain” in this scenario. I only asked people’s thoughts on whether he’s got the traits to be a compelling one. But some of you please just go on being as control freaky as you wanna be 😂

He's a used car salesman
kurt_russell_used_cars_by_manoluv_dh970gn-375w-2x.jpg

Reactions: gharding07
Buddy you can coddle Kals cock all you want.. He's a piece of shit and he'll continue fckn over this university until the day he can't.. Especially now at Arkansas..
you said you are cool with another human's death.....so I feel pretty comfortable saying you are the worst.

Cal is 65, he won’t be doing this much longer. I would not be surprised if he jumps to the NBA in a year or 2. It would be quite funny if an NBA team hired him away this offseason
If Cal could get an NBA job, then that’s where he’d be right now. But he can’t. There was a brief period in his early UK days when the NBA (ie. the Cavs) was interested, but those days are long gone.

He was a dismal failure as an NBA coach when he was young and hot. So why would anyone want to try that again now that he’s a fading tired old man?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT