ADVERTISEMENT

Football INSTANT ANALYSIS: Bad look in Knoxville

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
Very poor showing for the program tonight.

Tennessee's offense is a tough matchup for everybody. The challenge for Kentucky is this: UK plays good team defense in the SEC. Good team defense, and good in scheme. Tennessee plays offense in a way that makes your guys win one-on-ones, so it's a bit of an uncomfortable situation for Kentucky based on how they typically play defense.

The offense was a bigger issue tonight, though none of it was pretty. Tennessee has come a long way this year but you can't have an offensive game like that. Total dud. Levis even got away with some throws that should have been picked. He had a really bad night and it's going to hurt his stock some. The line was not good, the receivers weren't good, Levis wasn't especially good.

There are issues when you zoom in and out. I'm not sure Kentucky is capable of winning the way Stoops wants to. This year, I mean. They are so inconsistent in little things in several areas, when you say your goal is to convert 65% of third downs on offense that tells me the goal is - as usual - slowing it down and winning by keeping them off the field. I just don't think this team is capable of not shooting itself in the foot against good teams to do that, and in the process, you are not unleashing your first round draft pick at QB.

The reason I couldn't pick the upset is there have been too many miscues and little mistakes. We saw that again early with the bad PAT, Lovett misplaying the first TD pass, and Tayvion Robinson dropping a long throw.

Having said all that, Kentucky is 5-3 (2-3). Next week is not going to be easy in Columbia, Mo.

I've said for several weeks now, I see this as a pivotal crossroads for the program. New and now not so popular OC has a unit that has fallen dramatically short of expectations, and he is now tasked with replacing Will Levis and Chris Rodriguez. The Big Blue Wall has to be rebuilt. It is pretty clear that the overall talent on defense is solid but not at the 2018 level.

Give Tennessee their due. They're a legit team. I've always said they could return to elite status and Heupel has brought them back quick.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News