ADVERTISEMENT

Insight from BB analyst K. Peek re Sharpe

Peek has never wavered in her belief that Sharpe will be playing in the NBA next year rather than staying at Kentucky.

“Even when I spoke to him in October I was kind of getting the impression his end goal was not to play at Kentucky. His end goal is to be an NBA player and why would he risk injury or his draft stock falling (by staying at Kentucky),” Peek said. “The intrigue of who he could be is more of a positive than anything else right now.”

Peek said Sharpe will still have to go through NBA team workouts even if he does decide to not attend the NBA Combine once he puts his name officially into the NBA draft.

“There is no way he cannot at least do the workouts,” Peeks said. “If his workouts do not go well and he was to get feedback that he is not ready yet that could be the only way he returns to Kentucky but he was the No. 1 player (in the 2022 recruiting class) for a reason.”

Peek does believe Sharpe wanted to play this year at Kentucky but the feedback from those around him was to just sit out and not play.

Kentucky players several times talked about how good Sharpe looked in practice … but maybe not every practice.

“What I heard from some NBA guys that were able to go to practice was that he was not really practicing, either,” Peek said. “I don’t know if that was to protect him with NBA guys there or not.”
I don’t blame the kid one bit for leaving….heck, I’d do the same thing. The whole situation was handled terribly though, by both Sharpe and Cal.

1) If Sharpe goes to the draft this year, there is no excuse anyone can use to defend Cal not playing him in 21/22

2) If Cal allowed himself to get played by the SS camp, well, he’s a moron. Cal, of all people, knows how these kids think more thzn anybody

3) If Cal orchestrated this plan from the beginning (this is my very strong belief) and he watched our guards go on a hard descent the last 2 months of the season and still didn't mix Sharpe in, he should be sent packing inmy opinion, because UK is not his best interest. If he wants to do favors for NBA rwady kids, he should go coach in the GL

4) if potential recruits are going to be turned off if Cal sent SS back home once the Sharpe family decided he won’t play, well, then we didn't want those types of kids here anyway, this shouldn't be that type of program.

5) if the plan all along was to play in 22/23, even though SS was a surefire lottery pick and that's what ends up happening, then Cal should be heavily commended by the fanbase.

6) if he gets Oscar, Toppin, Wheeler, Collins, Ware and SS back to join the incoming recruits + a couple of good transfers, then he needs to finish the job. That’s a stacked team like none we have seen since '96.
Very good points, agree 100%

Reactions: kyjeff1
1) If Sharpe goes to the draft this year, there is no excuse anyone can use to defend Cal not playing him in 21/22

2) If Cal allowed himself to get played by the SS camp, well, he’s a moron. Cal, of all people, knows how these kids think more thzn anybody

3) If Cal orchestrated this plan from the beginning (this is my very strong belief) and he watched our guards go on a hard descent the last 2 months of the season and still didn't mix Sharpe in, he should be sent packing inmy opinion, because UK is not his best interest. If he wants to do favors for NBA rwady kids, he should go coach in the GL

4) if potential recruits are going to be turned off if Cal sent SS back home once the Sharpe family decided he won’t play, well, then we didn't want those types of kids here anyway, this shouldn't be that type of program.

5) if the plan all along was to play in 22/23, even though SS was a surefire lottery pick and that's what ends up happening, then Cal should be heavily commended by the fanbase.

6) if he gets Oscar, Toppin, Wheeler, Collins, Ware and SS back to join the incoming recruits + a couple of good transfers, then he needs to finish the job. That’s a stacked team like none we have seen since '96.
Regarding #6, that lineup isn't nearly as talented as 2012 or 2015 UK.

Not sure why anyone is upset about Sharpe. Cost nothing & 10% chance of getting best high school player. That is a deal you cannot pass up. What is the problem?
I think it has more to do him sitting out and Cal and Sharpe saying he’s 100% back next year. They lied to the fans, Sharpe used UK, and probably cost us a recruit or two for next year (I’d believe some highly ranked players would have come but didn’t want to compete with Sharpe).

Not sure why anyone is upset about Sharpe. Cost nothing & 10% chance of getting best high school player. That is a deal you cannot pass up. What is the problem?
Uh, he didn't even play and mostly seemed disinterested in the games and the team. This could also effect the way other high recruits think and their actions. I don't see Sharpe being the only player to ever try and pull this.

e1JXTOE.jpg
As much as you love to photoshop, it seems as if you would at least get better at it. Your pics are starting to become repetitive

It doesn't matter too much now how Sharpe arrived at UK. It does matter on how he is leaving. It was a screw job or a miscalculation or whatever it was, but I have been over this topic for some time now. I fail to see why you push this every day.

Sharpe obviously is going to be a great player. I have seen the truly great ones here at UK but, I am not going to spend my UK fan years complaining about one that I will never watch. There are other things going on. Cal is already dead to you, quit killing him over and over.
"Shut up," he explained.

So every scout and media guy who had access to him since last Fall knew it was highly unlikely that this kid ever suits up for Kentucky; but Cal, who had access to all those same media guys and scouts, thought there was a good chance the kid would be in Lexington, not only for one semester, but three?

Not buying it. Cal brought him here with the full knowledge that it was overwhelmingly likely that he would be eligible and also leave for the '22 draft.

The idea that Cal "got held hostage" is an option that makes Cal look deeply incompetent. People need to realize that.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
So every scout and media guy who had access to him since last Fall knew it was highly unlikely that this kid ever suits up for Kentucky; but Cal, who had access to all those same media guys and scouts, thought there was a good chance the kid would be in Lexington, not only for one semester, but three?

Not buying it. Cal brought him here with the full knowledge that it was overwhelmingly likely that he would be eligible and also leave for the '22 draft.

The idea that Cal "got held hostage" is an option that makes Cal look deeply incompetent. People need to realize that.
Like so many similar issues, there is no "good look" for Calipari to come out of this situation. Either Calipari "got held hostage" or "was played" or "was punked" (however you want to put it) by Sharpe's handlers, or Calipari just flat-out lied about what he knew would be the ultimate outcome -- that Sharpe would never play at U.K. So, the assessment to be made of Calipari, with respect to the Sharpe situation, is: (1) Is Calipari a fool ? (2) Is Calipari a liar ? Take your pick.

Really?

1. The scouts said they knew Sharpe was draft eligible since last Fall. No bias there.
2. In light of fact point #1., do you think Cal didn't know the kid would be eligible for the '22 draft?
3. Cal said the "plan" was for Sharpe to play in '22-23, right? No bias there.
4. Scouts said they knew Sharpe was a lottery pick since before the time he arrived in Lexington. No bias there.

So let's focus on point 3, which is where your argument is rooted. In light of points 1 and 4 being realities, and let's take your point (point 3) at face value and assume Cal believed that. How naïve was it on Cal's part to believe this kid would make it three full semesters in Lexington, while being both a top 10 pick and draft eligible?

This is why I can't buy any stock in the suggestion that Cal actually believed Sharpe's shelf life in Lexington would last beyond this Spring. If he did, that's just unrealistic, especially for a coach who has dealt with the realities of kids "chasing their dreams" since before he came to Kentucky.
Defense Lawyer: Objection Your Honor!

Judge: OP where are you going with this?

OP: I’m trying to establish motive your honor

Judge: Over Ruled!!!

Nobody will convince me that Cal didn't know most likely Sharpe was going to the draft. Sharpe is gone, no doubt about it. If the family and such really did convince Cal otherwise ... well that's just hard to believe he would be gullible like that .

This whole situation was handled so poorly. Like said on KSR I think, either the Sharpe camp or the UK camp, should have hired a PR firm or something.

This build up of saying he is coming back to play next year was the dumbest thing ever to say.

Reactions: delk4three
Idiotic take from a first-class idiot.
A weak response which unfortunately shows you're rather empty when it comes to this particular debate. Further, the fact that you resorted to insults without any real rebuttal further demonstrates the strength of my argument.

You're making this too easy for my side of the debate, sir.

So what does Cal do? Not take him? I mean Cal had to take him. Even if there is only a small chance he stays and plays. Can’t risk another school getting that same option.

Reactions: catsjets
Like so many similar issues, there is no "good look" for Calipari to come out of this situation. Either Calipari "got held hostage" or "was played" or "was punked" (however you want to put it) by Sharpe's handlers, or Calipari just flat-out lied about what he knew would be the ultimate outcome -- that Sharpe would never play at U.K. So, the assessment to be made of Calipari, with respect to the Sharpe situation, is: (1) Is Calipari a fool ? (2) Is Calipari a liar ? Take your pick.
Does this mean you and Cal aren't friends anymore?

So what does Cal do? Not take him? I mean Cal had to take him. Even if there is only a small chance he stays and plays. Can’t risk another school getting that same option.
He should have been on the sidelines in street clothes, IMO. Dressing in uniform, warming up in the lay-up lines and so on, was just misleading and frustrating to watch when he was putting on a dunk contest all by himself.

Literally, never heard of her.
“Krysten Peek, basketball writer for YahooSports and Rivals, has Kentucky freshman Shaedon Sharpe sixth in her latest NBA mock draft behind Chet Holmgren of Gonzaga, Jabari Smith of Auburn, Paolo Banchero of Duke, Jaden Ivey of Purdue and Keegan Murray of Iowa.”

Me either but her resume isn’t to shabby …And Larry Vaught values her opinion fwiw

“Krysten Peek, basketball writer for YahooSports and Rivals, has Kentucky freshman Shaedon Sharpe sixth in her latest NBA mock draft behind Chet Holmgren of Gonzaga, Jabari Smith of Auburn, Paolo Banchero of Duke, Jaden Ivey of Purdue and Keegan Murray of Iowa.”

Me either but her resume isn’t to shabby …And Larry Vaught values her opinion fwiw
Appreciate the background sir/ma’am.

Reactions: JST390-2
……….I think it's highly more likely that "most" UK fans are upset with Calipari than "most" of them supporting him at this current time.
But as far as salivating at the thought of seeing him immediately gone as it seems *most* of this board is doing?

I don’t know about that.

Last edited:
And it did UK some good, why? He did not have to take him! It's not like he's going to beat anybody.

I've raked Cal over the coals through the years for his in-game coaching and endless bluster.
I have a question on this that the answer is fine either way. If you are Cal and you are recruiting this kid, knowing that he will probably go to the NBA after getting his Porsche and sitting on the bench for a semester, do you go ahead with what his handlers want, or do you say, "No, we don't play that game, move on to Duke"?

I find it hard to believe that SS is good enough to be a lottery pick in the NBA.. 2 guards are a dime a dozen. He'd have to be Kobe Bryant good right? I know the NBA drafts on potential but I'm skeptical.

I mean, how many 2 guards have been good enough to jump to the league right out of High School.

Rightfully so!

Great, the 25th thread about Sharpe- pretty exciting
If it takes 150 it should be until CCC faces the media so he's answers for this fiasco, because this is HIS program and he's to blame. It seems like his spill about NOBODY , INCLUDING HIMSELF, is bigger than the KENTUCKY program doesn't include him afterall

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT