ADVERTISEMENT

Indoor practice facility

Kentucky football needs a new indoor practice facility and keep up with the top SEC programs. No SEC team should share a facility with the track team, except Vandy or Missoura 🍺
The track team needs a indoor facility. The football team just needs the track removed, they don't " need " a new place. Nutter facility is already in the best place, right next to the stadium, training facilities and outdoor practice field.

Track cuts off the corners of the endzones (and probably isnt the safest surface to have right next to the sidelines), thats the issue. Removing the track solves that problem:

NZqwucu.png

The track team needs a indoor facility. The football team just needs the track removed, they don't " need " a new place. Nutter facility is already in the best place, right next to the stadium, training facilities and outdoor practice field.

Disagree, tear that one down and build a modern facility and get a recruiting advantage 🍺

Disagree, tear that one down and build a modern facility and get a recruiting advantage 🍺
The one they have is just fine and building a new one would provide zero recruiting advantage. There aren’t really any bells and whistles for an indoor facility. It’s what’s attached to the facility that provides the bells and whistles, which we have. You’re already going to spend $40 - $50 million on a new indoor track facility over at the old baseball stadium location and install new turf in the existing facility. There is no reason to drop another $15 million on a new indoor football facility when the one you have will work great with the new turf from wall to wall.

Track cuts off the corners of the endzones (and probably isnt the safest surface to have right next to the sidelines), thats the issue. Removing the track solves that problem:

NZqwucu.png
In the initial planning phase....who thought that was a good idea to cut out the corners of the endzone?? The overall cost to extend the corners and sides another ten feet is peanuts compared to building two separate facilities.

The bottom line is that we must build an expensive track and field dedicated indoor before we can move track and field out and renovate Nutter to full size with improved surface, and perhaps some additional football directed changes. Two projects are necessary, even if football stays in Nutter.

All that said, I say get it all done NOW.

The one they have is just fine and building a new one would provide zero recruiting advantage. There aren’t really any bells and whistles for an indoor facility. It’s what’s attached to the facility that provides the bells and whistles, which we have. You’re already going to spend $40 - $50 million on a new indoor track facility over at the old baseball stadium location and install new turf in the existing facility. There is no reason to drop another $15 million on a new indoor football facility when the one you have will work great with the new turf from wall to wall.

Disagree, have you see other top tier SEC indoor facilities ? Those things are a huge advantage IMO 🍺

Disagree, have you see other top tier SEC indoor facilities ? Those things are a huge advantage IMO 🍺
I've not, but how so? Are the walls papered with $100 bill Post-Its? An indoor with a full size surface is just that. Do you install luxury boxes for wives and girlfriends?

My only question is whether we CAN actually establish a full size surface in our present shell and leave safe sideline depth to the walls. I'm not sure about that. I'm not sure the present arrangement has ever been good, with zero transition from field to track.

If these practical questions can only be answered "no" then I say build new and leave Nutter to track and field.

Reactions: RogerIndy
I've not, but how so? Are the walls papered with $100 bill Post-Its? An indoor with a full size surface is just that. Do you install luxury boxes for wives and girlfriends?

My only question is whether we CAN actually establish a full size surface in our present shell and leave safe sideline depth to the walls. I'm not sure about that. I'm not sure the present arrangement has ever been good, with zero transition from field to track.

If these practical questions can only be answered "no" then I say build new and leave Nutter to track and field.

Next car or truck you get make sure you get the roll down windows by hand 🍺

Next car or truck you get make sure you get the roll down windows by hand 🍺
I was actually asking a (snarky) question. Guess I can do the video tours, but what absurd lengths do they go to in dressing up a practice field? Two indoor fields? Indoor S&C drill area off the play surface? These, at least, wouldn't seem contrived improvements.

Kentucky absolutely needs a new indoor practice facility. We share it with the track team now. Its not standard size and is actually cut off in the endzones. Build the best damn training facility in America. We have the dough,,,,,,,,,,now use it!!!

Hell, it ain't none of our money. Spend the hell out of it and build the best goddamn facility of all time. Who cares.
UK officials responsible for managing their budgets care. Kentucky citizens ought to care. Responsible fans do not want irresponsible spending decisions that ultimately take something away from the university's opportunity to build out other necessities.

However, the school can raise private funds that can be donated with the understanding that they will be used to build a specific kind of sports facility. That is exactly how Nutter Center was built in the first place.

Reactions: UKat1 and FHCat81
UK officials responsible for managing their budgets care. Kentucky citizens ought to care. Responsible fans do not want irresponsible spending decisions that ultimately take something away from the university's opportunity to build out other necessities.

However, the school can raise private funds that can be donated with the understanding that they will be used to build a specific kind of sports facility. That is exactly how Nutter Center was built in the first place.

The athletic department at Kentucky is self sufficient. It takes zero dollars from the University or citizens of Kentucky. That's why I said it's not our money. All the salaries, all the buildings, all the everything, paid for by the athletic department and private donations. So who cares what they do.

The athletic department at Kentucky is self sufficient. It takes zero dollars from the University or citizens of Kentucky. That's why I said it's not our money. All the salaries, all the buildings, all the everything, paid for by the athletic department and private donations. So who cares what they do.
Asked and answered.

The basic interest of responsible Kentucky citizens in responsible management by the state universities does not stop at the artificial line you have drawn. If you don't care, that's on you. You are speaking for yourself. Others should and do care.

Same principle applies to all public spending. Many don't pay any income taxes but want government to overspend. Others want responsible governance and a stop to excessive spending. The population is divided broadly into two camps on this kind of thinking.

If you want UK to spend without responsible attention to budget management and due diligence, you have a right to post your preferences. I only answered your question.

But as stated, UK has raised private money in the past, such as the money that built the Nutter Center. That could be done again.

Last edited:
Reactions: FHCat81
Asked and answered.

The basic interest of responsible Kentucky citizens in responsible management by our state universities does not stop at the artificial line you have drawn. If you don't care, that's on you. You are speaking for yourself. Others should and do care.

Same principle applies to all public spending. Many don't pay any income taxes but want government to overspend. Others want responsible governance and a stop to excessive spending. The population is divided broadly into two camps on this kind of thinking.

If you want UK to spend without responsible attention to budget management and due process, you have a right to post your preferences. I only answered your question.

But as stated, UK has raised private money in the past, such as the money that built the Nutter Center. That could be done again.
Why don’t you just say I’m against a new indoor facility because of the amount it would cost to build it. 🍺

Asked and answered.

The basic interest of responsible Kentucky citizens in responsible management by our state universities does not stop at the artificial line you have drawn. If you don't care, that's on you. You are speaking for yourself. Others should and do care.

If you want UK to spend without responsible attention to budget management and due diligence, you have a right to post your preferences. I only answered your question.

It's not a artifical line. Because it's not public spending. The Athletic Departments earned the money and don't have to defend anything they spend to anyone. They give back to the University even. If they took state funds, or tax dollars or tuition, than I'd agree with you.

It's like telling me I can't buy a hot tub with my pay check because you think I should be more responsible with the money I earn on my own.

Of course they have a budget and shouldn't just throw out 50 million dollar buildings anytime a coach wants one. But if they do, it's their prerogative.

Gotta separate the track and indoor practice faculties. Even Vandy is going to spend a ton of money on renovations to stadium and new indoor practice field

Last edited:
Reactions: Freetaxreturn
Not full sized.
Huh?
the field in there is a full sized field. The issue is sharing time with other programs that use it because of the full track around it. It’s actually one of the largest indoor practice facilities for any college due to the track. I think it was the largest of its kind when it was built.

Kentucky football needs a new indoor practice facility and keep up with the top SEC programs. No SEC team should share a facility with the track team, except Vandy or Missoura 🍺
I don’t understand whats wrong with sharing it to be honest. I’m pretty sure the football team has priority during the season at least.

Huh?
the field in there is a full sized field. The issue is sharing time with other programs that use it because of the full track around it. It’s actually one of the largest indoor practice facilities for any college due to the track. I think it was the largest of its kind when it was built.
When was it built ? 🍺

What would make the structure more modern? Most all indoor practice facilities, even at the power programs is a pre-engineered metal building structure or a tilt-up concrete structure. Some even have those bubble structures. There’s nothing wrong with nutters structure but maybe it could be renovated. They could build a pre-engineered glass enclosure with a retractable roof around the existing track if we want to get fancy.

I don’t understand whats wrong with sharing it to be honest. I’m pretty sure the football team has priority during the season at least.
Look at the picture on this thread the corners of the end zone are not there KY is the only SEC school that shares a practice facility. Let the track have nutter and build a new all football facility. Also nutter looks to not have the height for punting kickoffs etc.

What would make the structure more modern? Most all indoor practice facilities, even at the power programs is a pre-engineered metal building structure or a tilt-up concrete structure. Some even have those bubble structures. There’s nothing wrong with nutters structure but maybe it could be renovated. They could build a pre-engineered glass enclosure with a retractable roof around the existing track if we want to get fancy.

Look around the SEC top tier indoor facilities and you’ll understand 🍺

They are 4 walls, a ceiling and turf. Some of them might have cool graphics, more windows or some garage doors that open, but that’s it. I’ve seen plenty of athletic facilities in my time, and there is only so much you can do with an indoor turf field.

They are 4 walls, a ceiling and turf. Some of them might have cool graphics, more windows or some garage doors that open, but that’s it. I’ve seen plenty of athletic facilities in my time, and there is only so much you can do with an indoor turf field.

LED yard markers. Weight sensors under the turf to sync music and lights to our running backs. Robot ball boys. We're behind the times.

So you’ll say that the UT indoor facility is what you just explained ? Take another look and I’m just using them as an example, fully equipped training room, instant replay huge video screens, weight room, snack bar, ect . That’s the modern SEC indoor facility but you can either drive a Cadillac or a Ford Ranger 🍺
And I think that facility was built in what 2011 ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT