ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana back tracking on home and home only deal with UK.

I like what Cal/UK did with the UNCheat game in Las Vegas last season. Maybe look into scheduling Arizona out there in the future.
Better yet, would love to see UK get a game in the Staples Center. Don't know who the opponent would be though...UCLA, USC or maybe even Gonzaga.
Don't think for a minute that Cal couldn't use a few games out West to make even more in-roads with the talent pool on the Left Coast.
A game with IU anywhere is pretty much meaningless to the program. Honestly, I couldn't care less that a few fans want the series to resume. If it doesn't help us then, it's a waste of time.

I'm with the crowd that says NO to playing IU again. Just their fans alone are enough to cancel that series for good. The way they treat UK fans at their place dictates we never go there again and I doubt they would be that much better at a neutral site. We UK fans get accused of being obsessive about our basketball team but they carry it to a whole other level that isn't healthy at all and I can't stand them. As others have pointed out, there isn't much for us to gain in renewing a series with them and there are much better and classier programs out there for us to play. Please, UK, don't set up another series with IU.

I have no interest in playing Indiana. It only benefits them to play us and elevate their profile. I don't see the upside for UK.

With that being said, this is probably going to happen. Calipari and Miller are close and if Indiana agrees to a neutral site, which was UK's request all along, then it will happen.

I felt the same way when we started the series with ucla.

Reactions: RogerIndy
The real reason this series was cancelled was all based on recruiting. Crean didn't want Cal in Indianapolis...and that's why Cal said we would play the game every time in Indy, bc that's where he wanted to be. Crean didn't really care about the atmosphere of a home and home...its bc he wanted to be able to bring recruits to bloomington but not let UK have a presence in Indy. That was apparent when they showed they didn't care to play uofl outside of a home and home in indy.

They've realized regardless how much they need UK and not vice versa.

Think it was more of Crean knew it'd be tough for him to compete neutral floors with Cal, he at least had a chance in Bloomington with the home court advantage. Mimicks his scheduling while at IU, tons and tons of cupcake non conference games only to get exposed most of the time during conference play, constantly had one of the worst non con schedule rankings in the power 5. Archie on the other hand is much more methodical on his scheduling and hopefully they get the game back on. The neutral sites were fun back in the day with the 50/50 split.

I wish this topic would just stop. We don't need to play IU. There are plenty of fresh match ups for both teams to explore. Besides, if Archie gets IU rolling, they'll be in our bracket almost every year. I'm over having to play rematches in the NCAAT, just save a possible UK/IU game for March. It's the money match up the committee loves.

451106eafe110111b109cb63b098b849.jpg

I am sure the almost automatic win over his most despised opponent had quite a bit to do with keeping UK on their schedule. That despicable A-hole never, EVER, did anything to help Kentucky.
lmao..I think UK won that game

So now Indiana AD Fred Glass says he would be open to playing the game wherever, whatever it takes to play Kentucky again.

I gotta say, this obsession Indiana has with playing UK has passed pathetic and is now creepy.

Hope UK continues to refuse to play.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...r-could-iu-kentucky-rivalry-revived/99692056/

Most likely because Crean is gone and he would not back down on playing in Assembly Hall. Cal was never going to go back to that piece of crap.

IU wins in this series, we have nothing to gain. If we drop UNC, lets add Duke..play in Greensboro & Louisville! About the same distance from each campus and the arenas are about the same.

We MUST play them if they're willing to accept our stipulation that all games be played on neutral courts. Otherwise, we look like we're afraid of them.

What's wrong with adding another interesting game to our nonconference schedule? Especially one that may be competitive some years. I've got about the typical opinion of most IU fans but that doesn't keep me from being interested in halfway decent basketball.

As long as it's held somewhere that's safe for our fans, bring it on. Especially with the UNC series looking shaky now.

Our OOC schedule is plenty tough, and obviously, IU needs UK, and not the other way around. I say don't play them. It only helps their recruiting, and we are doing just fine, thank you.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
We MUST play them if they're willing to accept our stipulation that all games be played on neutral courts. Otherwise, we look like we're afraid of them.
Have you seen the series record the last 30 years...whats there to be afraid of...wouldnt you think uofl, UNC, duke, Michigan st have all had better programs over the past decade? We play all of them...how could someone even rationalize we are scared to play IU if we willingly play those other programs? UK calls shots over IU...we don't do what they say...they do what we say.

No. We don't need them. They want us for relevance. It only helps them. Playing Indiana does nothing for us. It would be more impressive to play Butler than it would be to play Indiana.

I just don't get this mindset.

We don't NEED any of the teams we play. That's not why we play them.
I don't understand the sense that you have to NEED a team to play them.

We played Hofstra and Dequesne.
We played Cleveland State
IU is a at least historically a rival. That alone makes the game interesting, even in their down years. We always love crushing Louisville, this would be similar.

IU is a big 10 team. They're power 5. They won't be the worst team we play all year.
We don't NEED Hofstra or Dequesne. IU would at least have a little added interest.

Reactions: BlueSince92
Our OOC schedule is plenty tough, and obviously, IU needs UK, and not the other way around. I say don't play them. It only helps their recruiting, and we are doing just fine, thank you.
It helps their recruiting???

We are not talking about the back woods in 1952. IU is not going to sell some four or five star recruit on "hey we play UK once a year!!" and they are already getting three star kids. The only kids who would actually choose their college based on just playing us once a year are kids who are already below the standard IU is recruiting at---and that's not saying much.

And...clearly it has helped UL SOOOOO much with their recruiting.

[roll][roll]

"Rome is getting too dangerous -- I'm moving to Pompeii" - Pliny the Elder, A.D. 78
Off topic but this joke needs to die.

I forgive you for never actually looking into it but Pliny the Elder was a great man. He's the one who said "fortune favors the bold" and he meant it. He knew it was dangerous to sail to Pompeii but he did it anyway only because there were a lot of people trapped there who needed saving. He did die on the mission himself only because the ash in the air complicated a well-known congenital breathing problem he had. But his mission was a success. He gave his life to save a shitload of people from certain death.

I just don't get this mindset.

We don't NEED any of the teams we play. That's not why we play them.
I don't understand the sense that you have to NEED a team to play them.

We played Hofstra and Dequesne.
We played Cleveland State
IU is a at least historically a rival. That alone makes the game interesting, even in their down years. We always love crushing Louisville, this would be similar.

IU is a big 10 team. They're power 5. They won't be the worst team we play all year.
We don't NEED Hofstra or Dequesne. IU would at least have a little added interest.

You honestly don't get this? Indiana needs us to validate them. Why give it to them? They're nothing special. They're not a UNC, Kansas, Duke or Louisville or Michigan State or whatever. We don't gain anything on our schedule by playing them. It won't be counted as a big out of conference win anyways.

Teams like Hofstra are your fillers that every program has to get to 40 games. You pay them to come kick the crap out of them and they're happy to oblige.

It helps their recruiting???

We are not talking about the back woods in 1952. IU is not going to sell some four or five star recruit on "hey we play UK once a year!!" and they are already getting three star kids. The only kids who would actually choose their college based on just playing us once a year are kids who are already below the standard IU is recruiting at---and that's not saying much.

And...clearly it has helped UL SOOOOO much with their recruiting.

[roll][roll]

You are clearly wrong. It does help IU recruiting when they get on national tv against a top 10 opponent. It is not only UK, but, any other Blue Blood, and do you see UNC, Duke, or KU playing them on a yearly basis? That is why they keep pushing for UK to play them, because they get some sympathy from Vitale and a couple other talking heads that want us to play, since the states border each other. For IU, the more notoriety they get, the more recruits value them, and they are not going to get another Blue Blood to play them annually, so they are desperate for UK. It is the old saying that if you want it so badly, then it has to be good for you, and not for me. You are also incorrect on UL. Playing UK helped UL's recruiting, for years. That is why they fought so hard to play UK, even having a Jefferson Co. legislator push it through the Ky legislature to where they were mandated to play. Do you think they were getting any national air time playing in the Missouri Valley Conference? UK legitimized their program. Their recruiting has only suffered, recently, because of the Katina scandal.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
You are clearly wrong. It does help IU recruiting when they get on national tv against a top 10 opponent. It is not only UK, but, any other Blue Blood, and do you see UNC, Duke, or KU playing them on a yearly basis? That is why they keep pushing for UK to play them, because they get some sympathy from Vitale and a couple other talking heads that want us to play, since the states border each other. For IU, the more notoriety they get, the more recruits value them, and they are not going to get another Blue Blood to play them annually, so they are desperate for UK. It is the old saying that if you want it so badly, then it has to be good for you, and not for me. You are also incorrect on UL. Playing UK helped UL's recruiting, for years. That is why they fought so hard to play UK, even having a Jefferson Co. legislator push it through the Ky legislature to where they were mandated to play. Do you think they were getting any national air time playing in the Missouri Valley Conference? UK legitimized their program. Their recruiting has only suffered, recently, because of the Katina scandal.
If I were "clearly wrong" you wouldn't have had to type a huge wall of wacky rationalizations to try to show I was wrong. It would have been "clear" already. You're reaching. Feel free to keep reaching.

Kentucky is not afraid to play Cleveland State. There is also no compelling reason to play Cleveland State. If Cleveland State offers to play Kentucky at a neutral site, would the Cats be forced to do so? Of course not. Indiana can, and should be, ignored.

As an "old timer" I remember when the IU, ND, and UT "rivalries" had the hatred that's reserved nowadays for UL and Duke. I also understand other poster's rationale for not resuming the series, as they have very valid reasons.

I know Cal pretty much put it out here several years ago that we needed to drop one of our "border" rivals, so adding IU back in the mix may not be something he wants regardless of format.

Perhaps for selfish/nostalgic reasons I would like to see it resumed at the neutral site format. Even if our home site was Freedom Hall (perhaps that scenario would shed even more light on the ridiculousness of the UL Yum deal!). I was there when Davis ran out on the court slapping his head, etc. One of the biggest LOL moments I've ever had a sporting event (Stevie got loose being #1!) and the silence of the Hoosier fans filing out of Freedom Hall that day was priceless.

A couple of side conditions for resuming it though. First is an apology from Fred Glass that publicly acknowledges that IU was the one who canceled the series, and did so in a fairly abrupt manner. So tired of the nat'l media painting the cancelation as UK not wanting/scared to play in Bloomington. If he wants to throw Crean under the bus in doing so, whatever, but it needs to be clearly understood that they are the ones who "took their ball and went home".

Second side condition is canceling the series, and any foreseeable future considerations thereof, with UNC. This needs to be a mandate from President Capilouto that basically says we are not playing freaking cheaters. More public declarations from university presidents, ala Maryland, need to be made. As much as we want to bash the NCAA for not doing their job, etc., the scandal has gone beyond Emmert & Co., IMO. It's pretty much at the feet of all other universities and their presidents, since after all, they control the NCAA (don't they?). Coming from Eli, it takes the controversy out of Mitch's and Cal's hands and if the nat'l media or UNC still wants to snivel and cry their ass off and paint UK as chickens, etc., then they have to discuss the reason why our university president did it.

I'm not stupid enough (or am I........) to think that either of these 2 side conditions will ever, ever happen, but what the hell, a man can dream.........

I think it was clear, except to you.
If you thought it was clear Ben, why did you type a wall of text to try to make it clear? Is that how you generally handle things that are already clear? Or are you having trouble following this conversation to the point you don't even know what it is that you're now claiming was clear?

I think you're creating more issues than really exist because you have an infantile need to lash out disproportionally at a group that insulted you once upon a time and you don't care what damage you do in the process. What some IU fans did in early December 2011 under a coach who was unwilling to take precautions to prevent that was truly horrible. But the blame for that and the response to that shouldn't necessarily extend to all IU fans as well as to UK fans who liked the on-court rivalry and it doesn't necessarily extend to what choices our program makes about playing IU going forward in a completely different venue under a different coach who actually is willing to take precautions to prevent a repeat of the same incident.

Some of us think it is worth the risk to try reviving, at least in some small measure, what was one of if not the flagship rivalry in all of college basketball for decades. We simply stated our opinion. Some of you disagree with that opinion. We understand that, and were very gracious about letting you state your own different opinion. Some of you --yourself included-- were unhappy with that situation, and felt the need to emotionally explode like toddlers and demonstrate that our opinion was not only different than yours, which everyone knew already, but that our opinion was totally invalid. That is the mark of a very young boy. Which of course is only highly consonant with your general approach to the wider question at hand: whether college basketball fans are ever entitled to at least a cautious attempt to rekindle a very history-rich rivalry.

I'm sorry you got a booboo on your ego in 2011. That doesn't make your fellow fans' opinions worthless.

While I despise IU..............I remember when UK was hit by sanctions and IU kept UK on their schedule. They lost that TV revenue and stuck with UK. They could have said they was going else where to make a buck. Other than that I hate them SOB's!
Bull shit. UK on probation did not cost them one damned game on TV.

Bull shit. UK on probation did not cost them one damned game on TV.
They didn't get to play on TV for the UK game. So, Yeah, they did lose money. They could have dropped the UK game for a game that could be televised.......they didn't.
So before you call BS you need to use your brains and think about what I posted. No need to cuss me because of your lack of comprehension abilities. Maybe you need to go back and re-educate yourself on what transpired at the time.

I'm OK with us allowing IU to play us. They earned the right back in the 70's and 80's when they put a pretty good product on the court. Bottom line is, we have to play someone in the out of conference games, may as well be someone like them.

Lol, how about we use the time to play a team that will help our RPI come March?

They didn't get to play on TV for the UK game. So, Yeah, they did lose money. They could have dropped the UK game for a game that could be televised.......they didn't.
So before you call BS you need to use your brains and think about what I posted. No need to cuss me because of your lack of comprehension abilities. Maybe you need to go back and re-educate yourself on what transpired at the time.

I didn't mean to piss you off with my post; however, the IU UK game was telecast.

I did not intent for my post to be a gotya post, so I should have lightened it up a bit.

I have brains and I also have that game on video tape. It was tape delayed. Sorry for being a UK fan who video tapes all the games, but I have over 1,000 games on video. I also have all the UK home games on video tape from that probation year.

I lived in Maryland at that time and had a large sat. dish. My house would full of folks at 11:30 PM. to watch the Cats. You don't forget things like that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT