ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana back tracking on home and home only deal with UK.

Robcatt24

♩♪♫♬♭♮♯°ø؂≠≭
Gold Member
Sep 17, 2005
What's wrong with adding another interesting game to our nonconference schedule? Especially one that may be competitive some years. I've got about the typical opinion of most IU fans but that doesn't keep me from being interested in halfway decent basketball.

As long as it's held somewhere that's safe for our fans, bring it on. Especially with the UNC series looking shaky now.

I'm OK with us allowing IU to play us. They earned the right back in the 70's and 80's when they put a pretty good product on the court. Bottom line is, we have to play someone in the out of conference games, may as well be someone like them.

I have no interest in playing Indiana. It only benefits them to play us and elevate their profile. I don't see the upside for UK.

With that being said, this is probably going to happen. Calipari and Miller are close and if Indiana agrees to a neutral site, which was UK's request all along, then it will happen.

I hope we never play those clowns ever! Not just their fan behavior and they way games are called at IU but also the lack of response their administration had when apologies were clearly needed immediately for their fan behavior last time we played them at their place. Ask UNC how it worked out playing in Bloomington this past year and the home cooking! Just my take!!

The real reason this series was cancelled was all based on recruiting. Crean didn't want Cal in Indianapolis...and that's why Cal said we would play the game every time in Indy, bc that's where he wanted to be. Crean didn't really care about the atmosphere of a home and home...its bc he wanted to be able to bring recruits to bloomington but not let UK have a presence in Indy. That was apparent when they showed they didn't care to play uofl outside of a home and home in indy.

They've realized regardless how much they need UK and not vice versa.

no if we start playing them will not attend any game with them. two teams I hate IN and UL with IU being a percent over UL. If we play them what do we get out of it NOTHING. if they win they get a good win over a ranked team. there is no need to play them ever again unless they make a final 4 then maybe. their fans are discussing and don't want to be anywhere around them

While I despise IU..............I remember when UK was hit by sanctions and IU kept UK on their schedule. They lost that TV revenue and stuck with UK. They could have said they was going else where to make a buck. Other than that I hate them SOB's!

Reactions: millayc and 167Hike
While I despise IU..............I remember when UK was hit by sanctions and IU kept UK on their schedule. They lost that TV revenue and stuck with UK. They could have said they was going else where to make a buck. Other than that I hate them SOB's!

I think that was Knight's doing.It was in Indy Big 4

Reactions: JJ IN FLA
Miller comes off as Glass's lil bitch in his interviews..He always says whatever Freds says or wants...

The real reason this series was cancelled was all based on recruiting. Crean didn't want Cal in Indianapolis...and that's why Cal said we would play the game every time in Indy, bc that's where he wanted to be. Crean didn't really care about the atmosphere of a home and home...its bc he wanted to be able to bring recruits to bloomington but not let UK have a presence in Indy. That was apparent when they showed they didn't care to play uofl outside of a home and home in indy.

They've realized regardless how much they need UK and not vice versa.

Lot of truth to this id imagine coming on the heels of Clappys departure.

I think that was Knight's doing.It was in Indy Big 4

I am sure the almost automatic win over his most despised opponent had quite a bit to do with keeping UK on their schedule. That despicable A-hole never, EVER, did anything to help Kentucky.

i remember when some fans here said we were acting too elitist by not catering to a neutral sight situation and/or calling it a waste of time altogether. looks like iu knew their place after all.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
I'm sure it has more to do with what the coach wants. Crean didn't want to play but Archie does. Get over yourself

But, Glass is the one who ran his mouth.....

Per a statement released by the IU athletic department, the Hoosiers "will not sign a new contract to play the University of Kentucky in men’s basketball next season in light of their insistence that the matchup be moved to off-campus sites."

“While we understand that such neutral-site games could be quite lucrative, we think the series should be continued as it is, home and home,” Indiana athletic director Fred Glass said. “Playing on campus enables our students to attend these marquee games, which we believe is a great component of the overall college experience. Playing in the historic venues that are Assembly Hall and Rupp Arena is also a tremendous experience for our student-athletes.”

I think a new problem preventing resumption of neutral sites is UL gets all the revenue if UK Plays IU at YUM under the one sided lease signed during the Fletcher/ Abramson administrations when UL was allowed to screw the local and state department taxpayers.

No way UL will let us play there . No way UL will let us play there without taking their cut. No way UK should agree to play IU in Yum unless UL waives their right to ANY money from the game. So it won t happen .

I may be in the minority here but I don't think it's quite the same without our annual Clown U matchup. :) In case you guys forgot their fight song:

As I've said before, at this point in time it's not about any hard feelings towards IU it's about interest level.

Right now I just don't think IU v UK has the mass appeal that it once had, since the demise of the hoosier program the game just wouldn't generate a lot buzz outside of Rafters and Peegs. Also, I'm not sure what sort competitive gains the squad could get out of it. I want the team to get the most possible out of the the 5-7 legit OOC opponents, and at this time I don't think IU can provide a whole lot. There are a dozen other programs I would like to see us play and who I think could provide something other than nostalgia of a by gone era.

In all honesty I think Butler would be a good program to try and work something out with before IU. They're a well coached team that seems to always fight like hell, play really good basketball, and more often than not have solid upperclassmen experience , which is exactly what our young teams need to see early and often.

In addition to the bulldogs I like the idea of trying to work something out with Xavier, Gonzaga, Arizona, Villanova (at the palestra, how cool would that be?), Wichita St, and Oregon. Teams with really good coaches who are going to be around in march.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Hope we never play them again. Screw IU.
Agree 1000%. We don't need them on our schedule anymore. A series between IU and UK would only benefit Indiana. Had one ever lived in Indiana surrounded by Hoosier fans the reason would be apparent. Absolutely the most deluded fan base in the history of College Basketball. Anyone that worships Bobby Knight should be investigated as a domestic terrorist.

As I've said before, at this point in time it's not about any hard feelings towards IU it's about interest level.

Right now I just don't think IU v UK has the mass appeal that it once had, since the demise of the hoosier program the game just wouldn't generate a lot buzz outside of Rafters and Peegs. Also, I'm not sure what sort competitive gains the squad could get out of it. I want the team to get the most possible out of the the 5-7 legit OOC opponents, and at this time I don't think IU can provide a whole lot. There are a dozen other programs I would like to see us play and who I think could provide something other than nostalgia of a by gone era.

In all honesty I think Butler would be a good program to try and work something out with before IU. They're a well coached team that seems to always fight like hell, play really good basketball, and more often than not have solid upperclassmen experience , which is exactly what our young teams need to see early and often.

In addition to the bulldogs I like the idea of trying to work something out with Xavier, Gonzaga, Arizona, Villanova (at the palestra, how cool would that be?), Wichita St, and Oregon. Teams with really good coaches who are going to be around in march.

Man. We should have scheduled a home and home with butler immediately after the Indiana series went bye bye. That would have been epic trolling

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT