ADVERTISEMENT

Incoming Freshmen...

Bowden is a receiver, not a running back. Koback is the running back in this class. Koback was just cleared to increase his physical activity and will not have any restrictions by mid-June. He will be ready.

Just out of curiosity where did you get that he will be a receiver here? He was a QB in high school and most all of his highlights are running the ball out of an option type offense - 2,277 yards rushing, 1370 passing. In fact I don't see where he played receiver at all. I would be surprised if the staff has already decided to use him as a receiver since (1) we don't know what kind of depth we will have yet at running back with Koback status still up in the air (2) he didn't play receiver in high school and (3) he's not here yet.

Reactions: UKCatnNC
Bowden is a receiver, not a running back. Koback is the running back in this class. Koback was just cleared to increase his physical activity and will not have any restrictions by mid-June. He will be ready.

Yes I know but Bowden will line up in the Wildcat a lot or at least that was the plan. It doesn't sound like Koback will be ready this year.

In my humble opinion I feel that if Koback isn't able to play this year then Bowden will see limited mintues as a RB, other than just being used in the Wildcat.

Just out of curiosity where did you get that he will be a receiver here? He was a QB in high school and most all of his highlights are running the ball out of an option type offense - 2,277 yards rushing, 1370 passing. In fact I don't see where he played receiver at all. I would be surprised if the staff has already decided to use him as a receiver since (1) we don't know what kind of depth we will have yet at running back with Koback status still up in the air (2) he didn't play receiver in high school and (3) he's not here yet.
His Twitter profile says slot receiver.

His Twitter profile says slot receiver.

I know that he has been discussed as a slot guy from day one and apparently, based on your info, even the recruit projects himself to that position. However I still can't understand how our staff or any staff could project him for a position like receiver that he doesn't play. I mean how do we know what kind of ball skills he has? can he catch the ball consistently? How is he at route running - a skill that takes a lot of reps to become good at? How about his downfield blocking which is essential to the running game?
If the staff truly recruited him to be a slot receiver I see no way he could see the field without a redshirt year where he could practice and develop at that position. OTOH I see him as a guy that could help right now at running back and especially out of Wildcat formation which is similar to some of his high school offense, and maybe KO returns as well. Over time I think he could develop into a receiver.

I know that he has been discussed as a slot guy from day one and apparently, based on your info, even the recruit projects himself to that position. However I still can't understand how our staff or any staff could project him for a position like receiver that he doesn't play. I mean how do we know what kind of ball skills he has? can he catch the ball consistently? How is he at route running - a skill that takes a lot of reps to become good at? How about his downfield blocking which is essential to the running game?
If the staff truly recruited him to be a slot receiver I see no way he could see the field without a redshirt year where he could practice and develop at that position. OTOH I see him as a guy that could help right now at running back and especially out of Wildcat formation which is similar to some of his high school offense, and maybe KO returns as well. Over time I think he could develop into a receiver.

He doesn't have to be so much a polished route runner this year as they'll use him on short crossing routes and tunnel screens when he catches the ball. Just get him the ball in space and let people try to corral him.

I do agree that he'll have his own Wildcat package by the end of the year and will get some reverse/ jet sweep carries as well.

Reactions: The-Hack and fabcat
In my humble opinion I feel that if Koback isn't able to play this year then Bowden will see limited mintues as a RB, other than just being used in the Wildcat.

Koback was held out of the spring. Has there been a comment suggesting he will not be physically ready in the fall?

Lots of kids who play qb in HS move to different positions, Last year Cam Akers was fighting for the number 1 back spot, yet the first game he ever played at RB was his all star game, he was always the qb. We have 5-6 who were qb in HS that are now playing WR or DB, they were always the best athletes from the time they started playing, were put at qb and stayed until their HS careers were over. He looks like a slot to me, but I am not in charge of the roster

Reactions: jauk11
Koback was held out of the spring. Has there been a comment suggesting he will not be physically ready in the fall?
From the GC luncheon: "Freshman running back Bryant Koback could be a couple weeks away from being cleared, Stoops said. Koback, who enrolled early, broke his right leg in a high school game his senior year. If healthy, Koback projects as Kentucky’s fourth option at running back."

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
Bowden will be our best offensive weapon since Randall Cobb. No matter what position he is listed at, we will see him with the ball in his hands at damn near every spot on offensE (Slot, Deep, Wildcat, RB, PR, KR), much like we saw with Cobb.

Yes, he is that good. I expect him to have an astonishing 3 years at Kentucky and being our biggest threat on offense along with Snell.

Yeah, I said 3 years. He will be too tempting for a NFL team to pass up in the first couple rounds as an early entry.

Bowden was rated as the #1 player in Ohio by several sources. Ohio produces a large amount of NFL players as a state. I know they are top 10 and want to say #5 overall, but I'm not certain.

Ignore his rankings. He will be a 5* player from the moment he takes the field this season.

I was hesitant on Cobb while hearing similar things from coaches in his area to claim him to be some kind of unbelievable player. I'm not going to hesitate this time when so many people are praising him as one of the top FR offensive players in the country. I'm climbing aboard the hype train and can't wait to watch SJ, Snell, and Bowden play together this year. We are going to score A LOT of points...

Reactions: jauk11
From the GC luncheon: "Freshman running back Bryant Koback could be a couple weeks away from being cleared, Stoops said. Koback, who enrolled early, broke his right leg in a high school game his senior year. If healthy, Koback projects as Kentucky’s fourth option at running back."

Thank you. I hope Koback is healthy because we will probably need 4 RB's.

Everything I have heard was pretty much speculation and conjecture. Conventional wisdom to me would be to RS him. But there are so many dynamics that effect the coach's final decision.

I don't have access to premium content, so I'm not sure who JRow references, but according to Josh Edwards over on 247 (also not premy content):

Unknowns:
Tyrell Ajian
Jordan Wright

Not On Campus:
Lynn Bowden
Michael Nesbitt (Expecting to enroll later this month)
Sebastien Dolcine (Arrives Wednesday)

Do you recall the reason given for Nesbitt's delay?

... However I still can't understand how our staff or any staff could project him for a position like receiver that he doesn't play...

At our camps the staff is always working guys to the position they project him. Drake Jackson didn't play a snap at Center in a game until the Army AA game.

in high school, you put your play maker where the ball is in his hands the most. most of your stud athletes play QB or LB in high school, but may not play there in college.

I see him as a Dave Meggett / Eric Metcalf type, a multi-positioned player that you just want to have the ball in space. They'll run him, line him up in the slot, play him at Wildcat QB, and maybe even have him return kicks. There's no need to pigeonhole him as a "this" or "that". In fact, you might as well put "Freak of Nature" as his position in the media guide.

If the staff truly recruited him to be a slot receiver I see no way he could see the field without a redshirt year where he could practice and develop at that position.

Randall Cobb played a fair amount of slot his freshman year, without a redshirt. Cobb was a QB in high school. And, yes, that is comparing an unproven Bowden against a GOAT, but given the hype and testimony by all coaches who saw Bowden play, he'll get a shot to be our slot/slash guy.

Last edited:
Randall Cobb played a fair amount of slot his freshman year, without a redshirt. Cobb was a QB in high school. And, yes, that is comparing an unproven Bowden against a GOAT, but given the hype and testimony by all coaches who saw Bowden play, he'll get a shot to be our slot/slash guy.
He's not gonna take Garrett Johnson's starting position. Johnson is a good receiver. Bowden isn't even on campus, which says more than I care to comment. Hate to be ole Debbie but I'd like to hear some camp evaluations before I explode with excitement. He's loaded with talent but he also has a playbook to learn and a team he has to assimilate into.

He's not gonna take Garrett Johnson's starting position. Johnson is a good receiver. Bowden isn't even on campus, which says more than I care to comment. Hate to be ole Debbie but I'd like to hear some camp evaluations before I explode with excitement. He's loaded with talent but he also has a playbook to learn and a team he has to assimilate into.

Thought it was reported this past week that Bowden was on campus.

As you know, a player's high school position does not always determine his college position. At least 4 of UK's top 8 all time leading receivers (including Cobb and Tamme) were quarterbacks in high school. When interviewed, Bowden said he will be a receiver. Bowden has the build of a receiver. He is not built in the lower body like an SEC running back. Koback was cleared for full summer training last month.

Last edited:
Reactions: The-Hack and RV2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT