ADVERTISEMENT

Incoming Freshmen...

There are lots of reasons a kid might wait until August. I agree. Not exactly time to freak out. Not sure that I'd actually freak out over any 1 or 2 non-qualifiers, to be honest. It happens to everyone.

Take Paschal. I could see him wanting to stay home for the summer, or any number of the Florida kids. You aren't going to be making that trip frequently once you move.

You have HS friends you want to spend one last summer with... hopefully without getting in trouble or injured. Perhaps the biggest reason to get them on campus early (in some instances) is to protect them from themselves.

We got 3 we are waiting on too. Coaches want players on campus as soon as possible, there is no staying home town to spend one last summer with your high school buddies, the schools have invest too many resources into him for him to do something dumb with his buddies when he should be on campus.. They get behind in the weight room, they get behind on those voluntary summer workouts, that especially important for skills guys to be a part of plus it gives them a chance to get a head start on the academic side. Not getting to school until August almost assures a rs year, just get so far behind

I don't have access to premium content, so I'm not sure who JRow references, but according to Josh Edwards over on 247 (also not premy content):

Unknowns:
Tyrell Ajian
Jordan Wright

Not On Campus:
Lynn Bowden
Michael Nesbitt (Expecting to enroll later this month)
Sebastien Dolcine (Arrives Wednesday)

I don't have access to premium content, so I'm not sure who JRow references, but according to Josh Edwards over on 247 (also not premy content):

Unknowns:
Tyrell Ajian
Jordan Wright

Not On Campus:
Lynn Bowden
Thanks for that report. I never have time to go to other boards so your input merited a +1. Working 65 hours a week kind of limits what I can find out.

We got 3 we are waiting on too. Coaches want players on campus as soon as possible, there is no staying home town to spend one last summer with your high school buddies, the schools have invest too many resources into him for him to do something dumb with his buddies when he should be on campus.. They get behind in the weight room, they get behind on those voluntary summer workouts, that especially important for skills guys to be a part of plus it gives them a chance to get a head start on the academic side. Not getting to school until August almost assures a rs year, just get so far behind

Yeah, I can't see how the player or school could be very excited by starting off behind everyone. Lots of sacrifices to play football at this level, lots of rewards in a lot of cases too.

Unknowns:
Tyrell Ajian
Jordan Wright

Not On Campus:
Lynn Bowden

Thanks for the info.

TOS has a really good "non-VIP" thread on this topic. Most of the guys made it to campus yesterday.

Dolcine is supposed to arrive on campus today. Wright is scheduled around 6/19. Nesbitt will be here "later this month".

Unfortunately the elephant in the room is Bowden. TOS mods have nothing to report on him. That doesn't necessarily mean bad news. Stay tuned.....

We got 3 we are waiting on too. Coaches want players on campus as soon as possible, there is no staying home town
to spend one last summer with your high school buddies, the schools have invest too many resources into him for him to do something dumb with his buddies when he should be on campus.. They get behind in the weight room, they get behind on those voluntary summer workouts, that especially important for skills guys to be a part of plus it gives them a chance to get a head start on the academic side. Not getting to school until August almost assures a rs year, just get so far behind

Grumpy, I see where the Fields kid de-committed from PSU. Any chance you guys are in?

TOS has a really good "non-VIP" thread on this topic. Most of the guys made it to campus yesterday.

Dolcine is supposed to arrive on campus today. Wright is scheduled around 6/19. Nesbitt will be here "later this month".

Unfortunately the elephant in the room is Bowden. TOS mods have nothing to report on him. That doesn't necessarily mean bad news. Stay tuned.....

Sorry, "TOS" ?

Grumpy, I see where the Fields kid de-committed from PSU. Any chance you guys are in?

We been recruiting him the last few weeks, he has been on campus a few times, sister is a softball player here, even with all that, probably not. He isn't looking to sit for 2-3 years. Most likely heading to the state of Florida, FSU or UF with AU sitting at number 3. Anything is possible but I don't think he is looking to sit behind Eason and Fromm for 3 years, none of the other qbs we have offered are either. We are likely going to have to take someone just to have someone on the roster in 18 and hope for better luck in 19. Last 2 years, state of Georgia has produced 5 5* qbs, at least we got one of them

Reactions: Smashcat
I know we shouldn't panic, so I won't..Except for Bowden. He's worth the panic if something is happening there. I'll be nervous until I hear more. Is Paschal also not coming this summer?

I think what Stoops said was that 3 haven't finished school or are working on improving test scores. Take that for what it's worth, but apparently Bowden is one of them. Since he projected as one of the few freshmen to play and contribute this year he really needs the summer skellies. If he misses them it will put him somewhat behind.

We will need Bowden for RB depth. We only have 3 scholly RB's, 4 if you count Koback who may or may not be ready. This is not good.

There are certain characteristics of healthy, trouble-free young men, and one is particularly lacking. People going through major, unbearable changes might be a cancer to the team anyway.

Some incoming freshmen don't come in until 1st day of practice. Reasons always vary. Could be a summer job, last summer before college, or want to train alone with their own S&C trainer. As long as they are here by practice, everything is good.

Reactions: aabacor
Reactions: Smashcat
I posted an article on that in HOB. Here it is.

http://www.tribtoday.com/sports/hig...onalds-williams-has-blast-coaching-all-stars/

The game is June 15th. There is also a Ohio vs Pennsylvania All-Star game on June 25th, but haven't been able to find an Ohio roster for that game. I have no inside info, but Bowden seems to enjoy playing in these games.

“Everybody’s in awe of Lynn Bowden, including the coaching staff,” Williams said with a laugh. “He’s definitely the real deal. He could be a kid that can be playing on Sunday afternoons (in the NFL) eventually if he goes to school and does all the right things. He’s the best talent I’ve seen on the field in person. I’ve watched him on TV quite a bit, on highlights and this and that, but I’ve never seen him live on the field. He’s the best kid I’ve seen in my 20 years of head coaching experience. That says a lot.”

And, back to the panic.

“Everybody’s in awe of Lynn Bowden, including the coaching staff,” Williams said with a laugh. “He’s definitely the real deal. He could be a kid that can be playing on Sunday afternoons (in the NFL) eventually if he goes to school and does all the right things. He’s the best talent I’ve seen on the field in person. I’ve watched him on TV quite a bit, on highlights and this and that, but I’ve never seen him live on the field. He’s the best kid I’ve seen in my 20 years of head coaching experience. That says a lot.”

And, back to the panic.
I actually feel sorry for you.

I think what Stoops said was that 3 haven't finished school or are working on improving test scores. Take that for what it's worth, but apparently Bowden is one of them. Since he projected as one of the few freshmen to play and contribute this year he really needs the summer skellies. If he misses them it will put him somewhat behind.
Agree, missing the summer would put Bowden behind. But it's moot, because if he could be here, he would be. The chances are very high that Bowden will play this year anyway, even if he gets here on July 31. But you are right, if he misses the summer, it will take him several weeks longer to assimilate completely into our offense. I have always believed Bowden will be almost exclusively a slot receiver and kickoff returner this year, so I am not concerned. We need Bowden in October and November. Anyway, I think Bowden, Koback, Thomas, Corker will play this year. If Paschal is a defensive end, he should play this year, but he will redshirt if he is an outside linebacker. Davis is good enough to play, but we don't need him this year and he will be better off redshirting. Ajian might play, but we have 5-6 solid safeties back and I think this is Davonte Robinson's year. Most of this class will redshirt.

ADVERTISEMENT