ADVERTISEMENT

In season tournaments are a must

Feb 9, 2011
This thread didn't go far last time. This thread may not go anywhere this time. Teams that play in in season tournaments are better prepared for the postseason. I realize playing the 250th team in KenPom gets us a victory in 4 out of 5 years. Not wanting to go to Maui or the Bahamas or Florida or wherever else these damn tournaments are, is a sign of not wanting to compete.

I miss those tournaments and if it takes Cal to get back involved in those types of tournaments, so be it.

I don't like the way Cal schedules anymore than Cal's comments about having to wear a sportcoat instead of his jumpsuit.

He's run his course, and he's gotten 5+ years of passes.

You don't think Rupp heard all this after his '4th' title?

Cal’s refusal to play in these Holiday tournaments is one of the many reasons he is not the right guy for KY.

Every year I see the names of all of the teams playing in these tournaments and we seem to be the only power 5 team that never plays in them.

But if you take all the cupcakes that Cal has feasted on during that time how bad would his winning percentage be?

We’re KY damnit! But our coach is afraid to play good teams. And no team fears us.

So we’re really not KY anymore I suppose.

Thanks Cal!!

Would agree.

I'm kind of done with the Canadian, Puerto Rican all-star exhibition circuits.

Whether it's Cal or the next guy, need to play college teams, with college players, playing college style ball.

We need to get back to Maui. Look at next year's field. Incredible. That tournament has always been underrated/underappreciated.

Probably need to get back to playing big home and home games. The atmosphere and pressure are key in terms of late season prep. It may not be on a big neutral site stage like a March game, but there is a very specific feel to a game in Rupp, Cameron Indoor, Dean Smith Center, Assembly Hall, Allen Fieldhouse.

The moment in those games vs those type of opponents is big. Every shot, hustle play, match up, etc is very postseason like.

What the hell are you thinking? Clearly the way to go is load up on cupcakes, only work on basic stuff without any concern of putting things in like a zone defense, press offense etc. because those things may be needed later. Also those cupcakes allow UK to win at a 65% clip over the past 5 years. Got to live up to that gold standard.

Sorry I am effing pissed.

This thread didn't go far last time. This thread may not go anywhere this time. Teams that play in in season tournaments are better prepared for the postseason. I realize playing the 250th team in KenPom gets us a victory in 4 out of 5 years. Not wanting to go to Maui or the Bahamas or Florida or wherever else these damn tournaments are, is a sign of not wanting to compete.
Come on now. We all know it is just too taxing on Cal to go to Hawaii for a week. Now flying to London for a single game, no big deal.

I don’t know if they’re a must. But they’re fun and I’d like to start playing in them again.

The non-conference schedule was not the issue this year
No it wasn’t but the fact is Cal has just effed up so much around the schedule that the fans used to enjoy. No Maui. Game in London. No Cincinnati area or Louisville “ home” games for fans that cannot get in Rupp. So many oddly scheduled game times/game days for non-conference games that make it difficult for people a few hours outside of Lexington to get to. Basically Cal has eroded so much of the fun from the program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT